Chapter One: A Painful Start

Glass Clockwork

Chapter One: A Painful Start

 

She had been in the meadow, picking the last of the wildflowers when her good friend, Umika, had torn through the the thick grass with panic drawn on her face.

 

“What is it? What is the matter” asked Mirai as Umika reached her. Said girl grabbed her wrist and together they ran towards the town. As they reached where Mirai and her family lived, a feeling of dread washed up. Three bodies were brought forth. Though badly slashed and bruised, Mirai knew it was her parents and younger sister. She fell to her knees and proceeded to sob as Umika held her close.

 

“Poor child,” said an old lady as the bodies were taken away. “She has no family left now.”

 

A sudden jolt had Mirai blinking out of her flashback. As she peered out of the carriage, she was taken back by the view. A mansion, more like castle, stood before her. Made of gray stone and beautiful glass stained windows. Surrounded by lush greenery as well as a tall, wicked-looking fence at the perimeter. Looking down at her feet, Mirai reached down and picked up her bag. After her family’s murder, she sold nearly everything in the family home and the saved the money. She knew she would need it someday. 

 

The carriage came to a slow halt and Mirai felt herself becoming worried. After the burial, she had been approached by a family friend who asked her of she knew of Lord Takizawa. She did. He was a a very distance uncle of hers, but everyone knew of his success. He was a genius whose inventions were demanded worldwide. He traveled and brought back more parts to fix and sell. He lived in the manor above town and only ever came out during the night. There were also the rumors that his home was inhabited by boys and young men so beautiful they came from the heavens. Mirai never paid much mind.

 

A letter had been given to her. Mirai had skimmed the letter and learned that he had come down and adopted her. She was legally his niece.

 

    It would be a pleasure for you to come and live with me and my boys. There’s many of them, but they are family as well. You will love it here. I may be busy most of the time, but it cannot be helped. Please do say that you will come and live with me. This manor could use a woman’s touch, or an almost woman’s touch. You will be turning eighteen soon. Either way, I will send a carriage for you in two days. The driver will be wearing a hood but have no fear, I have complete trust in him. I will see you soon my niece. In the meanwhile, I shall prepare a room for you and have a dressmaker sent in for fittings. Believe my words, I am so very excited.

                            Yours Truly, Uncle Takki.

 

The carriage door was opened and a glove hand was extended. Mirai took the hand and stepped out and into the bright sun. It was nearing the end of August, yet was still so warm out. She had decided against wearing a corset or stockings and instead was adorned in a light silk dress of pale green. It reached to her calfs and had three layers of soft tulle underneath. A pair of worn boots enclosed her feet. Her hair was left down, almost touching her waist. 

 

“Welcome home Lady Mirai” said the person who helped her out. He towered over her. His body was lean but there were some muscles. Dressed in work clothes with a faint scent of straw. His hair was dark and wavy with eyes that shined brightly.

 

“Forgive me kind sir, but I do not know your name so I have no proper way to thank you” said Mirai. The young man sent her a grin.

 

“My name is Nakajima Yuto. Please call me Yuto. There is another Nakajima here, but he is addressed as NakaKen as to not confuse us.”

 

“A pleasure to meet you. May I be right as to assume that you know my name from my Uncle?” asked Mirai as they walked to the doors.

 

“Correct. He could not stop talking about how excited he was. Nearly everyone here is waiting to meet to you.”

 

Mirai could feel a faint blush rise. She was quite unladylike so many suitors had turned her away.

 

“We have some young ones so please pay no mind to what they say. My younger brother, Raiya, he says so much that it is quite hard to keep up.”

 

If Mirai wanted to say something, she could not for it was then that she entered the manor and was swept into the embrace of the uncle she hardly knew.

 

“Look at how beautiful you are. You look very much like your mother at this age. Welcome to your new home” said Takki as he let go his niece.

 

“Um…thank you?” said Mirai. She at a lost. Her uncle was young looking, quite handsome to be honest.

 

“Let me take you to your room. I had it cleaned and made up just for you. The bed is made with handwoven cloth from China and I had the dressmaker in town make a whole new wardrobe for you.”

 

He was talking so fast that Mirai could hardly keep up. Finally, they stopped outside a door with her name engraved on it. Opening the door, Mirai felt herself gasp. It was quite large, but beautifully decorated. The bed was made of dark wood and from the posters held curtains of pale blue. A wardrobe was opened to reveal rows of dresses in various colors. The desk held a vase of red roses and the window was open to let in the sun. A shelf was home to notebooks with ink wells and pens. There was even a basket with knitting needles and yarns.

 

“This is…wonderful. Thank you” said Mirai as she hugged Takki. He smiled and her hair. 

 

“Just wait till the boys meet you. They will love you as well.”