Prologue

stars can lie. | 별들은 거짓말을 할 수있다

 Prologue
Word Count: 3,207

 

20 March 2017, 9:26pm

"Happy birthday, ma'am," the waitress chimed, smiling apologetically as she placed down the bowl of spaghetti bolognese onto the half-occupied table-for-two.

It wasn't always like this. It wasn't always so lonely.

You rested your chin on the palm of your hand, staring at the meal you had ordered for yourself earlier in the evening. Pasta and champagne. The perfect combination for a birthday celebration; it was a shame it had to be celebrated alone. Gently raising the glass, holding it between your fingers, you took your first sip for the night. You weren't usually a heavy drinker, but tonight turned out to be that special occassion. You stared across the table for two, imagining what it would've been like if you didn't get stood up. Initially, you had the intention of waiting for him for another half hour, but you soon came to realize that maybe he wasn't coming tonight at all.

Poking at the swirly pasta with the silver fork, you suddenly lost your appetite. That is, if you ever had one to begin with. You had only come tonight, dressed in your favourite dress, hoping he'd come. But he always knew how to disappoint you. Oh, he always did.

Taking out your purse, you paid for the food you barely even set your eyes upon. You stood from your seat, taking your black Versace handbag with you as you left the restaurant. Another night, another disappointment. You were starting to get used to waking up in an empty bed and a completely empty voicemail, but you were hoping that at least today would be different.

Walking along the Han River, you felt the tears welling up in your eyes. You made a promise to Yumi, your best friend, that you wouldn't cry if he stood you up. But you couldn't help yourself anymore. You also promised her that you'd end things with Taehyung for good if he didn't turn up.

Maybe they were right about everything. This had been going on for so long, maybe it was time for it to come to an end.

When you decided to call it a night, you headed back to your apartment, mascara smeared and cheeks stained with tears. Unlocking the front door with your keys, you were once again exposed to yet another empty apartment with no signs of Taehyung anywhere. Kicking off your heels and carelessly dropping your designer handbag onto the wooden floor, you advanced towards the bedroom in the hopes of at least somehow soothing the pain you felt in your chest with some rest.

You dropped your exhausted body onto the large double-bed, the bed far too large to have all to yourself. You lay still, pulling the sheets over your cold body. The sheets no longer smelt anything like him. No more of his favorite cologne, no more of the familar scent of him that you loved so much. You snuggled against the colorless sheets, your eyes shutting as you started drifting to sleep. Or perhaps, to dream about him. Again.

 

--

 

It was raining hard that morning.

Lying on your side, your back was facing him. Like he always did, he had his arms around your waist, holding you close, nuzzling his face into your neck. His breaths were slow-paced and steady; you weren't sure whether he was asleep or awake. You closed your eyes for a brief moment until he speaks up, startling you with his husky voice.

"You smell like me," he chuckled in a raspy voice, "It's adorable."

You looked down at the jumper you were wearing, laughing along with him. Like you always did, you had worn one of his favorite jumpers to bed. The first time you had done this was an accident, but after four years of being with him, it became a habit.

"Everything here smells like you, Tae."

You turned to face him, his arm still around your waist. You lifted a hand from under the covers, holding his cheek. He smiled down at you for a second, and without hesitating, captured your lips into his. You smiled into the kiss, realizing that he'd pull you closer the longer the two of you held onto the kiss. Your lips moved together in perfect harmony until you pulled away. As expected, Taehyung stared at you with a childish pout on his face.

"Why? I wasn't done, Y/N!"

You rolled your eyes, playfully pushing him away with both hands.

"I'm hungry, Tae. And plus, don't you have schedules for today? If you're late again, you'll get into trouble."

The child-like singer whined, kicking his legs in annoyance from under the sheets. You smiled to yourself, watching as he folded his arms across his chest. You knew he wasn't going to budge until he got exactly what he wanted.

"How about we make a deal, Kim Taehyung?" you said, immediately attracting his attention, "If you make pancakes without burning them this time, I'll give you one more kiss before you leave today."

He suddenly jolted up from the double-bed, his eyes glimmering with excitement.

"Really? Will you really?"

You subconciously felt your smile broaden at the way his hair messily fell in its own way. Everything about him was adorable. Everything about him justified your reasons to love him. The way he'd text you throughout the day although he was busy, the way he could barely let go of you when he had to leave, the way he burnt his pancakes every morning you spent together.

But that was a different story.

For months now, you had only received texts from other friends, and always woke up to an empty bed. No texts from him and no kisses, either. The memories felt so distant, it almost all felt like a dream. Perhaps, it was. You had never felt this kind of pain before. You should've let him go when the warning lights were flashing right before you; before it was too late. Now that you'd made that foolish mistake, you've been trapped. Trapped in memories, trapped in dreams.

No one in their right mind would ever miss eating burnt pancakes for breakfast.

 

--

 

It was Friday morning, the only day of the week you had off work.

Your day usually consisted of visiting Yumi's cafe for breakfast, going for a run in the nearby park, then paying a quick visit to Taehyung's company. But that was your Friday schedule months ago-- because of how many things had changed since then, Fridays no longer consisted of visiting Big Hit Entertainment.

Your breaths were uneven, your heart pounding to the beat of your feet racing over the hard ground. It was still fairly dark at the hour you decided to go for a run, but you liked it that way. 

It was still six o'clock in the morning, so there weren't too many customers around that hour. As you pushed the glass doors open, the bells that hung onto the door released a delicate little chime. Unlike every other Friday morning, you were greeted with Yumi's enthused voice, bombarding you with a thousand different questions. It left you wondering why Yumi had been acting strangely on this particular Friday morning. Quirking a brow at your best friend, your eyes traced where Yumi kept side glancing-- the far corner of the coffee shop.

Recognising the figure sitting on his own, your eyes widened.

"Jimin?" your voice was gentle, although his presence startled you.

The older male kept his hands in his pockets, lifting his head, greeting you with a warm smile. He hid his pinkish hair with a black baseball cap, his casual fashion barely bringing any special attention towards himself. Regardless of what this boy wore, however, he did look stunning.

"Y/N," Jimin uttered, "How have you been?"

Pulling back the chair across the celebrity, you shrugged your shoulders a little, taking a seat.

"I don't know, a little hungry, I guess."

"That's not what I meant," he chuckled, but caught himself, "I meant, how have you been without Taehyung?"

You shifted in your seat uncomfortably, your lips parting to speak, but not a word came out. Your nails dug into your skin, avoiding eye contact with Jimin, who suddenly felt guilty for asking out of nowhere.

You bit on your lip, taking a deep breath. "Did you come and see me to talk about him?"

"Yes."

You liked how honest Jimin could be, regardless of the situation. You lifted the cup of coffee Yumi placed in front of you, bringing it to your lips, nodding at the older male to continue.

"He's been having a hard time lately and I was wondering why you haven't been dropping by," he started, his voice full of sincerity, "I'm assuming that it has been a while since the two of you have seen each other, unless he's been sneaking out at dusk when everyone else is asleep."

You lowered your gaze from Jimin, your eyes fixed on the untouched tiramisu cake in front of him.

"We haven't seen each other for a while."

Jimin nodded his head, "When was the last time you two met up?"

"His birthday."

"Weren't you guys gonna drive down to your hometown for the new year?"

"There was a change of plans," you replied, barely looking at Jimin due to the embarrassment, "We didn't end up going."

Jimin was silent, probably lost in his own thought. You didn't have a clue about what to say next, so you only sat back in your seat silently, taking a sip of your warm coffee every now and then.

"As I said before, Taehyung is having a tough time right now," he sighed, running his fingers through his bleached hair, "I think it would really help if you came by."

"Jimin, you don't understand," you interrupted, your voice frail and desperate.

Jimin quirked a brow, confused by your behavior. The way you could barely look at him in the eye when he mentioned Taehyung, the way you no longer laughed or joked about the younger male. The fact that he had no idea what was going on in your mind stopped him from making any further suggestions about visiting Taehyung.

"What is it, Y/N?" he urged, "What don't I understand?"

You closed your eyes for a moment; realizing that Jimin was going to get the answer you had been having trouble to admit for yourself. For such a long time, you had been hiding the fact that you were well aware of it; the only thing that stopped you from admitting it was the memories of the past.

But last night, was the last straw. Taehyung had hurt you many times, but this was it. You've had enough. It wasn't fair for you to always be waiting around for him every time. It wasn't fair for him to come back to you whenever the hell he wanted, not being there for you when you needed him to be.

"Clearly, he hasn't told you anything," Y/N sighed, "But nothing is the same anymore, Jimin."

"Wait!" Jimin called out just as you stood from your seat, leaving some money at the table for the coffee Yumi prepared you. There were only a few others in the small cafe, but you were sure that Jimin's sudden outburst had caught their attention. You were prepared to stare down at the boy who had grabbed onto your arm unexpectedly, asking him to let you go, until you saw the desperation in his eyes.

"Please, Y/N," he begged, "At least come by tonight."

"Jimin, I don't think I can--"

"Please," he repeated himself, "Only you can talk to him."

Ashamed, you looked back at Jimin, shaking your head slowly as he released his grip on your wrist.

"I'm sorry, Jimin, but I don't think I can do this any longer."

No longer willing to listen to the pleads of your friend, you left the cafe in silence, slipping on your hood when you noticed the sky getting darker and darker as time went by. Tucking your hands into the pocket of the jumper you were wearing, you started to make your way towards the nearby park. If you ever felt upset in the middle of the day, this was the one place you'd find yourself running to. The trees were nice, dancing with the breeze, dead leaves constantly falling from the canopy.

On ordinary days, you would find yourself taking a brisk walk in the park, but a day like this one called for some serious self-reflection. Losing the patience to find a perfectly dry park bench, you sat down on the closest one, immediately regretting it as soon as you felt the cold water come into contact with your skin. Shaking your head at your own stupid decision, you didn't dare to stand. Your tights were drenched; a wet mark was obviously going to show to the public. You glanced around, realizing how many people used this park as a part of their daily exercise routine. Of course, they paid little or no attention to you, but the fact that you'd be walking around with a wet bottom might change that.

"Y/N?"

You snapped out of your thoughts, dazed by the appearance of yet another familiar face. Even with the cap and hood hiding most of his face, he was more than recognizable with his charming smile and under-eye mole.

"Yugyeom? What are you doing here?"

"Actually, I was going on my usual morning run before meeting with Jungkook... How about you?"

The two seven-member bands were so closely knitted, you had seen the members of GOT7 almost as often as you saw BTS.

"The same, actually," you lied, "I just got a little tired for a moment."

"Ah, I see... I hope you don't mind me asking," he says before shifting his gaze to the park bench, "But what are you doing sitting on a soaked bench?"

Barely capable of finding a good enough answer, you gave in and told him the truth about how unbothered you were to bother finding somewhere better to sit. He held back his laughter, emitting a soft chuckle and offering you his hand.

"Come on, why don't we go and finish our run and maybe you could join us for some breakfast?"

Not breaking away from the park bench, you bit your lip nervously before looking up at Yugyeom. To your surprise, Yugyeom took your hand, pulling you to your feet. Quickly untying the Adidas jacket around his waist, he tied it around yours, ensuring that the damp spot on your behind was well hidden from the public eye.

"So, will you join me for some breakfast, Y/N?"

Unable to find the right words to thank your friend, you nodded your head.

"I'd love to. Besides, I'm starving."

Yugyeom smiled in victory, walking alongside you, the two of you breaking into a jog towards the exit of the park. After jogging for only a short while, you realized how breathless you had become, resulting you to think that perhaps you should exercise more often that she does. You looked over at Yugyeom who seemed way too energetic compared to you. It eventually led you to the thought of the times you had tried morning runs with Taehyung, when the two of you could barely go around the park once together.

 

--

 

"Seriously, jagiya?" Taehyung called out, breathlessly, "Can we just stop here and go for some breakfast or something?"

"Kim Taehyung,"  you gritted your teeth in annoyance, "It hasn't even been twenty minutes."

The male let out an exaggerated high-pitched cry in the attempt of winning his girlfriend's pity. Shrugging off any of the pride he had left, he began making child-like noises to attract your attention.

 

--

 

"Y/N, we're here."

You felt like an idiot, barely realizing that you had already arrived at the restaurant with Yugyeom. You imagined how you would've been staring into space whilst walking beside him, probably smiling stupidly at something you should've been trying to forget. Nodding your head, you thanked him as you entered the restaurant first when he kindly opened the door for you.

With Yugyeom at your heel, your eyes scanned the entire restaurant in search of Jungkook. Yugyeom reminded you that there was an upstairs level, and knowing Jungkook, that was probably the place he decided he wanted to eat. Taking the stairs to the upstairs level, you froze when she recgonized not only Jungkook, but a few other members of GOT7. And BTS.

You suddenly turned on your heel, almost walking into Yugyeom.

"I don't think I can join you today," you started, knowing you probably couldn't sit down at a meal with Taehyung after last night, "Maybe next time, Yugyeom. But thank you, anyway."

Before you could walk down the stairs past him, he grabbed onto your wrist firmly.

"Why did you change your mind all of a sudden? We came here together, anyway," he asked, "And Taehyung is here. I'm sure you'd like to--"

He stopped talking when he saw the tears welling up in your eyes, suddenly feeling guilty for stopping you from leaving. He let out a distressed sigh, loosening the grip he had on your wrist.

"I don't want to be here."

"I'll leave with you," Yugyeom suddenly said, "We can go get breakfast somewhere else."

"No, you should stay," you argued, looking past his shoulder, "I'll just see you next time."

Realizing that he had been spotted by his own band members, he decided it would've been appropriate to at least say a quick "hello" before running after you. Of all people, he hated to see you upset. You were always such a happy person, always smiling when he'd see you. The fact that you looked so fragile and broken when you cried was devestating.

"Yugyeom, what took you so long?" Jaebum called, getting out of his seat, "Is Y/N going to join us?"

"A-Ah, no, sorry... We were just gonna drop by to say hello. She's not feeling too well, hyung," Yugyeom forced a smile in an attempt to mask his lie. Lying to the leader had to be one of the most difficult things he has ever done.

Yugyeom had never felt so nervous being eyed by all thirteen boys, wondering what the hell was going on. Each of them had seen him walk up the stairs with you just fine, suddenly breaking into a conversation that looked as serious as ever. Jaebum did not buy Yugyeom's excuse at all, but bade him farewell as he rushed down the stairs in search of you.

"The hell was that about?" Jackson chuckled, snatching the menu from Youngjae, who had been shocked by the youngest member's sudden refusal to join them for breakfast.

"I guess he was just a little startled," Jungkook replied, "I did tell him that it was only going to be the two of us."

"Why should that matter?"

As the thirteen boys continued to read the menu, the chatter never came to an end. All were confused, but no one had ever been as indignant or offended as the brown-haired boy sitting in the corner.

"Taehyung, what are you gonna order?"