Chapter 6

Chronicles of Princess Hikari

 Ryosuke POV

 

Only after a bad drinking session did I have such severe effects of hangover. The massive headache, aching body and not being able to recall how I ended up sleeping in an unknown place are just some of what I'm struggling at this instance. I couldn't see much under the bad lighting that makes it so hard to discern if it's morning or night. And that's probably how I mistaken my predicaments for merely an aching body, until I realised I was immobilised in an animal-like caged. My legs and hands were bounded, and a collar wrapped around my neck and chained to the cage. My movements were restricted.

 

I was cursing and swearing inside me by now when I find myself possibly a victim of human trafficking. It wasn't until my eyes adapt better to the little light and saw outside my cage, there was a big tub of water and hanging above was a boy that left me in fear.

 

"MICHIEDA!!"

 

"Senpai!!!! Save me...."

 

"How did we end up here?! Who did this?!" I shouted, hoping for an answer even though Michieda probably can't give me any. I was right, there were others within the shadows.

 

"Here here. Don't need for a reunion party so soon. Since you're wondering how the 2 of you are here, i can explain to you." A guy in suit amongst the many other guys in suits came forward, close to the cage. He whispered in a very sly voice, "because you guys are nuisance in this world, the obstruction to the general progress and a better world." 

 

I spat at him and that's the only thing I could do. He wiped it off angrily and that's when I regretted.

 

"Senpai!!!" 

 

With an indication on his finger to his men, the rope holding Michieda bounded hands lowered him at a fast speed into the water tub.

 

"Michieda!!! Stop it! I beg you! Stop it! Pull him up!!!"

 

He pulled him up one instance but in the next instance, he dropped him again. Michieda's face is turning green everytime he's pulled up. The poor boy's welling of my name gets frailer by the torment.

 

"I'll do anything you want, just stop torturing him!!! Please!"

 

"Okay... as you wish... bring him out " he signalled to his men then pulled me out of the cage, using the chain from my metal collar. Being dragged out the cage this way made me feel like a dog but the worst hasn't come.

 

"Bark like a dog for me, and my shoes... and I'll consider sparring him from another round of fun under water."

 

"Senpai, don't do that!" Michieda's cries break my heart. 

 

"Ah, I see..." the man said before Michieda fell right in again with a splash. He's semi-conscious.

 

"You!!! I'll do it, so stop doing that!!!" I clenched my fist against the ground with my knees too. Then  I crawled right towards his shoes. I stared at him intensely, with blood rushing up my veins. If my eyes could shoot lasers like X-Men Cyclops, I think it would have. I hated myself this very moment as I barked. lowering my every dignity left as a human, I stuck out my tongue and his filthy shoes.

 

"Ah, i forgot. It should have been my feet." He removed his shoes and socks revealing his stinky feet. 

 

"Senpai, please don't do this." 

 

I teared. One drop of it hits the ground, gladly no one saw it but me. The seed of hatred has sowed. Shoved away my dignity and pride, I clenched my fist and did as I was told. I would attack him with my head flung onto him, but gazing upon the helpless boy, I could not bare to put his life in jeopardy. My recklessness could only wait till I get him to safety.

 

They lowered Michieda and brought him on restrain, to face me - the utterly disgraced senior of his. I hear his sobbings yet I don't have any courage to look up at him. Still in a crawling position, I gritted my teeth in anger as I registered every word he spoke.

 

"The pride of Horikoshi. My foot!!! Look boy, this is your senior, or should I say, dog."

 

"You won't get away with this."

 

"Say who... we can do whatever we want, and there's nothing anyone can do about it... but you poor things, will not have anyone on your side..."

 

The man kicked me from my chin, making me flung backwards so hard. Before I could try to sit up, the rest pounded on me, kicking my stomach, my ribs while I crouched into a ball in agony and blocking my face in between my arms. Each impact strikes me harder to a point I could only feel numbness. Once they stopped, the numbness halts and the pain crumbles onto you so much you couldn't even cry. I gasped for breathe but ended up coughing blood. I find myself laughing at how my life got trashed lower than I thought was already trashed.

 

I vaguely hear in my state of concuss the verbal retaliation from the younger one, "Stop it you bastard!" When I regained my full attention at the situation, I realised it was not limited to verbal. Michieda retaliated to save me, yet as a senior, I'm down on the ground so early. 

 

"NO!!!" I threw myself over his petite body then that same moment, the wooden chair smashed onto my back. I felt like my body shattered, lying onto Michieda with no strength left in me.

 

"Senpai~ sorry..." he cried. I felt whips lashing out onto my back, cutting through my top onto my skin. I knew very well that the water trickling from my back wasn't just sweat, it was blood. Fresh blood oozed out, I could smell it even though my nose was too. I tried not to moan but it's so hard to endure everytime it falls onto my exposed skin.

 

"... I'll d-distract them... kick through that part of the door, it's fragile, then run for it... o-one chance is all I c-can give you... urghhhh... "

 

"senpai... i cannot leave without you..."

 

"We'll both die in their hands if you stay... go urghhh. Go and get help... not the police, don't t-trust the authorities ... go to the suited men at the stadium... t-they will help..."

 

"Senpai..."

 

"GOOOO! Urghhhhh!" I use all my energy to flung myself towards the men, hitting them with my full weight. While they were distracted with subduing me, Michieda did exactly as I said. His power kick never failed, breaking a big whole in the wall. He ran fast, I am sure he would escape. Unlike me, I couldn't even breathe properly. They pulled me up from the ground and punched me repeatedly until there's nothing left of me. I hear my hard breathing as I collapsed on the ground where they left me. Sprawled on the ground, I held onto my only last hope.

 

***

Hikari POV

 

"Hikari, have you found Ryosuke?the match has started without him. Michieda is fine though still shaken." Airi's text message says. At least one of our problems are over.

 

"We have just reached the industrial area. I hope he's here and doing fine."

 

"Don't worry. I'm sure he'll be okay"

 

The car door swings open and I immediately wanted to dash through my guards to the number 2 warehouse. Yabu held me back.

 

"I suggest you don't be so reckless in dashing there first. The kidnappers may still be here. Besides, if you appear, your identity will be exposed "

 

"It won't. Iwata, Yabu, I know what you guys are worried about. I'm Suzuki Hikari, and I'm just following the Crown Princess' men to save her own classmate."

 

Yabu looks to Iwata who is in a frown which untangles gradually, emerging a sense of agreement "alright, Yabu. We'll keep to this story. But Hikari, we lead the way."

 

Warehouse number 2 is just ahead. My heart pounded hard, nervous to see what lies behind it. Yabu wrenched the door open, it didn't barge. We could hear sounds from inside. Yabu signalled his guards to prepare, as he kicked the door open. 

 

"Don't move!" Guns in their hands, they took aim on the suited men amid the darkness. I couldn't see clearly until the sunlight hits the interior. I was stunned at the scene. A enormous water tub first caught my attention, then a cage that got my hair standing in chilling fear. I didn't dare imagine how the duo suffered in this captivity. When I saw the body sprawled face down, I finally broke. Even in such disheveled state, torn top that exposed his battered skin, blood staining whatever in the way, it's brutality in its maximum. I could recognise him irregardless of the horrifyingly gruesome scene upon him, "Ryosuke!!!"

 

No one stopped me. I ran towards him and kneeled by his side. I grabbed his hands, bring it near me and squeezed it lightly while crying his name, begging him to wake up. I'm glad when I see his tired eyes opened slightly. I tried to lift him so that he cradles nicely in my arms. Then i got a much better look of his injuries. His chest is bloody with whip lines, bruises and some cutting so deep I could still see blood spilling.

 

"H-Hikari... w-why is it you?"

 

"I came with the Princess' men. You're safe now. 

 

"H-how's Mi-icheda...and T-the Soccer team"

 

"They are all fine, Ryosuke. Don't speak anymore, you're hurting." I wiped the tears rolling down the corner of his eyes. His hands squeezed mine while we were holding on to each other, like he was afraid he'll just die. I could see that in him just like I've witnessed before. The same dying scene of my parents replayed right in front of my eyes once again. 

 

"We've to bring you to hospital!"

 

"N-no not the hospitals... our captors.... they are from the government," He coughed blood then slipped back into unconsciousness. That outburst of devastation when his hands fall from mine is unexplainable yet so scarily familiar. That feeling I hid away from myself since witnessing my parents' death, flood back. I cried and hugged him tightly, and I can't even explain why an unrelated person could evoke such sadness.

 

"We have to bring him to hospital. I'll call the ambulance right now!" Iwata shouted while Yabu and his men subdued the people involved.

 

"No. Not any hospital. We'll bring him to the royal hospital. Summon Mirei Kiritani. I want her to be in-charge of this..."

 

"But..." 

 

"I insist, in the name of crown princess!" 

 

If I haven't been using my powers, there's a strong urge to subject it now, even though I'm apologetic for not listening to Iwata at all. I was afraid of the consequences of not listening to my heart. though my intuition has mostly been wrong. But something tell me that I will regret not listening to Ryosuke's last words before he passed out. And if I had to trust someone in the royal medical institute, it's Mirei. I know she's sincere although I haven't acquainted with her much. It's a gut feel. A very strong one.

 

Iwata drove the unconscious Ryosuke, myself in the by Yabu, to the royal hospital in a heavily guarded premises within short distance from the palace. The entire movement is secret. Iwata remarked it's better that way before we know the culprit behind the captivity. The whole journey, I didn't let go off his hands so that I could assure myself with his warmth. Constantly I checked for his breathing, everytime I worry. I hastily replied Airi, telling her I found Ryosuke and lying that all is okay. In fact, I was lying to myself that he will be. He's so badly injured, I tear just looking at his state.

 

"Mirei!" I saw the lady receiving us once we arrived. She silently greeted me then gripped me with her gentle hands. 

 

"Leave him to me. Don't worry. I'll do my best" 

 

"Thank you Mirei." 

 

Once he was wheeled in to the operating theatre, I fell to the ground, all weak from the intensity of the episode. I rested in Yabu's arms, crying so hard from the memories of the past and present tormenting me in every sense. It took me longer than usual to calm down. 

 

"Shall I inform his family?" Iwata asked.

 

"... he has an elder sister, but I doubt he wants to worry his sister over him. Inform Kasumi Arimura, his girlfriend"

 

"Noted. Yuto has also reported back to palace. He updated us that the team lost. Shohei is coming over once he settle some other stuff."

 

"I caused trouble, didn't I..." sighing in apologetically, I can only say sorry after sorries. Iwata pat my head openly, while speaking to Yabu.

 

"Not at all. You did well so far. I didn't expect you to consider several implications. I underestimated you, my princess." Iwata said with agreement from Yabu.

 

It's a praise, yet it's too heavy to smile. I wish I could convey my slightest pleasure to what he said, if only I could. Perhaps, not in this situation. Minutes and hours past, now that he is lying in bed, completely clean from blood, I am finally able to breathe normally. He's wrapped in bandages all round his top instead of proper clothes, the view is heartbreaking. I traced the contours of his face to the bangs that covers his brows. I brushed it away, revealing his forehead and became mesmerised by his beauty. If there's a male version of sleeping beauty, he's got to be the one. the eye bag beneath his eyes showed though did not lower his attractiveness, this slightest imperfection shows the agony he suffered in the last day. I hope the scars casted brutally upon him will be gone with the winds. I caressed his fingers that gradually regained colours of life contrary from the weakening grip that fell through mine. Staring and staring, I let my exhaustion eventually consumed me. Never did I realise, it was the deepest sleep I have had since the fateful day I lost my loved ones.

 

"Hikari~" a soft touch upon my head woke me up. I sprung up because I thought that was Shohei. He would seriously punish me if I was found careless in my sloppy conduct outside. I could almost imagine him nagging, "princesses especially one as noble as you should not be seen in a sleeping mode in public. Always put on your highest alert." I'm not even thinking of how he will see me if he finds me with my head lying beside a guy on his hospital bed.

 

I sighed in relief when my eyes met with the speaker's. "Ryosuke~ you're awake. How are you feeling?"

 

"I'm okay. Thank you, Hikari. I didnt expect you to be the one following the Princess' men. It's dangerous so please don't do it anymore."

 

"It shouldn't happen again ne. And you're my friend, i don't want to be useless again. Besides, I have her men with me, they'll make sure I'm okay"

 

"Don't think that way. You're helpful and I am more than grateful... also Hikari, it's precisely being with her men that's dangerous."

 

"I dont understand... i thought you asked her to help so you trusted them?" I was anxious to find out the contradiction. It's not making sense, or rather I chose not to understand cause it means he didn't trust me.

 

"I didn't. Trust them (laughs). Why would I ever. She offered to invest in us so I was certain she won't want any mishap to either me or Michieda before the match is over. So if there's one person who I could use to save me from this ordeal, it's her. But That doesn't stop her from doing what she set out to use us for her purpose, after the match ends. I'm prepared since i am indebted to her now anyway."

 

Describing the impact like an arrow piercing through my heart would be too mild. More were coming my way. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that"

 

"You don't think she ordered people to do this to you?"

 

"I did suspect at first then it thought it's not possible cause the match hadn't even ended. She won't invest in us if she had intentions to break us. But i realised the culprit could only be those people..."

 

"Who? Sky High?

 

"Not Sky High but the masterminds behind them. The damned parents of theirs and the corrupt authorities who will do all in their means to glorify their own children at the expense of the average people in Aoihoshi. I can guarantee the useless Crown Princess of Aoihoshi, whose institution she governs ironically should have cared for the public welfare, wouldn't do anything about this incident and it'll only be swept under the carpet. She and the Royal House will only be concerned when their interest is at stake which just isn't the people, and she won't jeopardise the support the government gives her since that would risk her power in the country...."

 

(That crown princess is me) I mumbled.

 

"Hikari, you okay? Is it too heavy for you to understand?"

 

"Me...? I'm okay~" I pretentiously laughed when I saw him beginning to see through my emotions. afraid he would suspect I had anything to do with the convictions he said, I had to be more careful.

 

"Guess it's overwhelming for you. But Hikari, please don't do this anymore. You're literally marching into a danger zone, and there's nothing I could do to protect you from harm. I most certainly don't wanna see you hurt because of me"

 

I blushed at his words. Protect me? Didn't want to see me hurt? It's those everyday words the people around me say, yet somehow when it came from him, it evoked different emotions. Alittle flustered~

 

"Hmmm. How about this..., let's be best friends!" He sat up and said with a broad radiance on his face. And causing me to be more flustered, he actually spread out his arms widely. "Kidding~" he laughed then withdrew his stretched arms.

 

Am I just too used to it, having been surrounded by mostly guys that I didn't consider anything else before throwing myself at him, hugging him tightly.

 

"Hikari~..." he giggled while gently patting my back "sorry. I probably scared you back there at the warehouse."

 

I shook my head. There were much I like to say to him yet I can't at all. (Ryosuke, one day you'll know who I am. you'll hate me for who I am. You'll hate me for lying. You'll probably regret this day where you said we will be best friends.)

 

His exposed body from the rolls of bandage radiated warmth to my skin, comforting the distress since the incident happened. My unease received some tranquilisers from him and when I thought I lay in his comfort for long, he gently pull back. "There there." He parted from me. "Go home and rest. Thanks for accompanying me the whole day. It has been a long day for you too. I'll be okay here."

 

I would say no if it isn't because of the very much belated arrival of Kasumi. How come we are always meeting in awkward situations like this. I just hugged her boyfriend and even if it's nothing beyond a friendship hug or any other hugs I give to Shohei, Iwata, Yabu, Yuriko, Yuto, I feel conscious that I offended her. She did give me a doubtful glare that sets me wondering if she has been standing there all these while and listening in to our conversations.

 

"Ryosuke!" She hugged him so tightly, I saw Ryosuke squinting his eyes, holding back the pain as she pressed onto his wounds unknowingly. "So sorry. I totally didn't see the unknown number calling me so many times, and I missed Hikari's message too."

 

"Ne, Kasumi... you're hurting me..."

 

"Ah, oh my. Sorry! Who can it be to hurt you like this! It's terrible." She kissed him openly. Awkwardness lingers for bystanders - i was the only one. Is that what people term as 'public display of affection'? If it is, I could tell Ryosuke didn't seem to enjoy it much. Or was it simply because he's angry with Kasumi for not accompanying him through a difficult journey in the last day. It is afterall an entire day late. I would have been angry too.

 

"Hikari, thank you for taking care of my Ryosuke. Could you arrange for us to meet the Crown Princess. We should properly thank her."

 

Both Ryosuke and I frowned. Me because I can't possibly expose my identity, him, I guess he just didn't think there was a need to thank me nor see me personally. Either way, we both had consensus, though vastly varying reasons. What I didn't know was Kasumi's reasons were not beyond her statement.

 

"There's no need to. Kasumi, you don't only wanna thank her right. If you're intending to get her to help you pave way for your ballet dreams, i suggest you forget it." Ryosuke said with annoyance. I can't even discern if he's angry with me or her. "Hikari, you should get home before it gets dark. Let me know when you reach."

 

I nodded, avoiding all eye contact with Kasumi.

 

"YAMADA RYOSUKE!" A female voice reigned from behind me. I turned to realise I forgotten something important. 

 

"Mitsuki-san..."

 

"Oneesan..."

 

Both Ryosuke and I said out, our voices shaking. Because Kasumi never turned up, I have sent a text to his sister. At least someone needs to know of his injuries. That was how I felt. As much as I didn't want to get his sister worrying, it would be too lonely if Kasumi continues not to turn up. 

 

"Why did you not tell me?!" Mitsuki stormed in and faced me with bloodshot eyes like she cried. "Do you know I'm worried like hell?!!" 

 

"Oneesan! It's not her fault. I told her so, cause I didn't want you to worry!" Ryosuke tried to get out of bed and explain, but he probably was hurting so much when he tried to move. Kasumi held Ryosuke back, but that effectively shifted Mitsuki's attention to Kasumi.

 

"So you rather tell her first, I presume..." she said sarcastically as she scanned Kasumi.

 

"Oneesan..." Kasumi called out to her. From the look on Mitsuki's face, it seems she didn't know their relationship. It confirmed my conjecture when Ryosuke did some introduction.

 

"She's Arimura Kasumi. My girlfriend. We've been together a few years already but I didn't get to tell you or show you cause she isn't in Aoihoshi for awhile."

 

"Oh, so now my brother has a girlfriend and I don't know anything," she laughed bitterly. 

 

"It's alright already oneesan. Important thing is Ryosuke is okay now." Kasumi tried to simmer things down. 

 

"You think?! It's not about whether you're okay or not anymore. It's about principles! It's about how important you think about kinship!"

 

"... it's not Ryosuke who decided to keep it from you. I was the one... but because Kasumi didn't turn up, thats why I called you..." i walked towards Mitsuki then I knew this instance i blurted out something horrible. When I reached out and gripped her arm, I glanced upon Kasumi's unhappiness.

 

"Hikari, let me settle this. I shouldn't hold you back further." Ryosuke mediated. He gazed at me as if pleading for me to evacuate this complicated scene.

 

"What's wrong here! Is this a marketplace?!" Iwata stormed in with a few guards. Ryosuke recognised him. Luckily Iwata convinced me that there's nothing wrong for a Minister to know average people. I maintained a calm face, but it was another person whose face I realised crash completely. Mitsuki looks star-struck? She's mumbling something that I couldn't hear, so I shrugged it away. Yet that The minute of silence was mutual. Iwata didn't speak after he bust in with such fanfare. When he spoke again, the tone was softer, less assertive.

 

"Besides people who are his direct kin, I want everyone else to leave. This includes you, young lady..."

 

"Heh?" I was literally dragged out by Iwata. It wasn't necessary at all. I could walk myself. Another guard escorted Kasumi, and she was actively pursuing information about the nature of this hospital, about the Crown Princess. The guard peeked at me as if pleading my assistance to stop her annoyance. I giggled in response while getting dragged out by Iwata. He's acting strange since he walked out from the ward. Not only did he remain silence the whole time we walked, he was clearly in a daze when I took a quick glance at him. 

 

"Isn't that Shohei and Mirei?" I wanted to rush towards them to escape the lingering weirdness around me and Iwata. Yet the latter hold me back.

 

"I think Mirei wants time with Shohei."

 

"Oh yes, she does." I cheekily smiled. Since Mr Ice has spoken, I should take this opportunity to ask, "You okay? If you're angry with me, you don't have to reserve it you know." Taking a deep breathe, I closed my eyes and braced his reprimands.

 

"Nah. I'm proud of you for this entire episode, why should I scold you."

 

"You seem unhappy."

 

"It's nothing you should worry about... anyway, Hikari. I know the earlier one is his girlfriend, Kasumi. The later one... she's his sister?"

 

"She's Yamada Mitsuki. His sister." I hear him cursing. Why does he have such strong reaction towards her? "Is something wrong?"

 

"Hikari. Don't forget your real identity. Whether you like it or not, you cannot get too attached to anyone in this class, for example that boy."

 

"I don't understand."

 

He sighed, "If no one has told you, I'm gonna warn you first... Shohei is worried about you getting too emotional committed to your classmates. In particular, he has ordered Yabu and Yuriko to keep a close eye on you and Yamada Ryosuke."

 

"He's just a good friend!"

 

"Don't flare at me young lady. It's not my judgement call. As long as you know yourself, then there's nothing to worry. What it's frightening is only when you are unsure of your own feelings. And..."

 

"And?"

 

"You may not like to hear this, but I have to say anyway. Our lives and theirs just don't intersect. If it ever intersect, both sides will get hurt. You should already understood by now that they will one day find out your real identity. This day won't be long. If you're lucky, it'll be on your coronation day when they see their classmate becoming their Queen. If not, any mishap will cause them to know it earlier."

 

"No one needs to worry about me and Ryosuke. He has a girlfriend and he hates the Crown Princess, and that's me. In fact, he hates the government and our anarchy." This reminded me of the thing Ryosuke dishearteningly mentioned that spurs me to want to proof otherwise. Or rather, I didn't want his perceived reality of Aoihoshi to be the real thing.

 

"Iwata. I want this incident investigated thoroughly." He looks somewhat hesitant and that has given me a preview of the extent of truth in Ryosuke's statement. "Regardless of who the captors are, I want them arrested and prosecuted in the eyes of law. On the powers bestowed upon me as Crown Princess, I want to see my wishes happened."

 

"Your wish is my command. I'll gather resources and immediately run the investigation" He relented and took on my instructions with a firm positive respond. He can be counted on. I had always believed in that.

 

The part that bothered me more is how each of them claim they know me better than I do, insisting that I have a spark for Ryosuke when I myself don't think there is. And if there's any, there's literally no way it's possible.

 

***

 

Mirei POV

 

The hospital faces the sea, offering a scenic view. I've always seen the view in daytime, when I see the night view, I fell in love with it all over again. I stood by the barricade that divides me from the tranquility of the sea, and I chose to disrupt that serenity with my bright scream. I'm surprised by my own diaphragm power, able to sustain the scream continuously. I wasn't screaming at the top of my voice because I'm insane or upset, I'm so happy! Jumping with joy, 

 

"Mmm, i see you're very happy," a voice creeps in when I'm least cautious in revealing my emotions. Unsure if it's sarcasm or serious, I turn around with anxiety. The tightness in my chest worsen as I see him. I would rather it was my superior.

 

With my trembling voice, I fumbled my greetings with great embarrassment that I have made a fool of myself in public grounds, "Royal counsellor..." 

 

"It's Shohei. Please just call me by my name."

 

While his tone didn't reveal whether I'm about to be reprimanded for misbehaving in public, his words did. Dropping honorifics and just calling him by his name, it doesn't sound like he's going to take me to task. I was right when he assured my uneasiness shown over my tensed face.

 

"Relax... I'm just amused by your excitement over one inpatient."

 

"You don't understand Shohei. It's a big deal for me. The royal medical institution has so many students like me struggling for opportunities to be recognised so that we can be entrusted to contribute to the welfare of people in the palace, yet such opportunities are limited and there's just so many of my peers doing better than me. I thought I'll stay invisible in my whole life within the palace and will continue to be an understudy, never being able to offer my expertise to people who needs medical attention. But princess entrusted me with the task and I did it. I managed to live up to her expectations and not let her down. More importantly, I proved myself." I noticed he is quiet the whole time I spoke and I thought it may be too rude of me to suggest some fundamental flaws in the enforcement of meritocracy and other issues within the royal medical field. "Sorry... ignore what I said. It's nothing you should worry yourself for." I said with embarrassment and gestured my intent to leave. 

 

I stopped at my feet when I heard him say, "congratulations". I was both confused and surprised when I saw his smile.

 

"Heh?"

 

"Congratulations for making it. I am happy for you too." He walked closer then leaned on the barricade, facing the sea. I'm not exactly sure if I'm accompanying him or vice versa, but regardless, I'm glad I'm able to speak to him casually in such relaxing setting.

 

"Thank you Shohei" 

 

He looked at me with cheerful nods that signaled his approval of how I address him.

 

"I'm really quite impressed that you still held on to your passion and altruistic goals when most people would have given up in the face of the toxicity of the life behind any palaces. Politics, inhuman competition makes us lose that initial spark within us which we once spoke highly of and we have no choice but to accept this is how things are. It even makes us lose ourselves. So I'm serious when I say I'm impressed with your perseverance," he said with such solemness it felt like he has a personal story to it. Does it have to do with his work? About the princess? She's the crown princess after all, it won't be easy to prepare her for the role.

 

"You wanna talk about what's on your mind?"

 

He hesitantly rejected. This wasn't something out of my expectation though, I wasn't anyone important enough to hear. He chuckled as if he noticed something funny. Turns out it was me again.

 

"You look so dejected. Sometimes it's a blessing not knowing other people's problems ne, Mirei..."

 

"It's not just other people. I want to help you Shohei..." oh no, I blurted such irresponsible words that will not make any sense to him. I'm in such mess, especially when he gazed at me while appearing deep in thoughts. I have already put one feet into the mess I created, I should explain myself. "Shohei, actually I..."

 

"That's Iwata and her... Princess!" He hollered to them, completely killing that extended moment of awkwardness. He is obviously avoiding my unexpected 'confession' which it sounded like without a doubt.

 

The princess was literally jumping her way over. Her energy is really applaudable and she dealt with the trauma of witnessing a bloody scene involving her friend, much more matured than I expected. Shohei's twisted brows from earlier gradually softens.

 

"Your highness..." I gave a royal curtsy, yet she gave me a big hug, yes it's so big I almost fell over. 

 

"Dear princess, you're suffocating Mirei." He said while holding me subtly from behind. Iwata standing in front of me looked at Shohei and both of them mutually coordinated their sighs.

 

"Thank you Mirei. You saved him!"

 

She let go her arms bit by bit and there I see her expression like an open book, so full of sincerity, gratitude and innocence, contrary of any known power-holder who more often is hard to read, less compassionate.

 

"It's my pleasure, princess. The boy has sustained multiple injuries, some are less serious than others. If he follows my diet restriction, he should be able to get rid of those scars."

 

"Your skills are good, Mirei... Shohei, can she be my personal consultant?"

 

He shifted his gaze to me, to seek my comfort level. I couldn't contain my excitement perhaps, so he chuckled then turned back to her, "Of course, why not. But she has to work with Takeshi sensei."

 

Takeshi sensei is the aged doctor, who service spans more than 50 years, serving generations of rulers. He takes personal charge of the princess' health. It has been good all these years but rumours have it that it hasn't always been this good. When the King and Queen died, some people said she developed a serious asthma that kept her in bed for long. It's a taboo topic to discuss within the four walls and looking at her, I couldn't see any signs of an asthmatic patient, just a bubbly girl who is at her pink of health. 

 

"Thank you for giving me the chance. B-but, pardon me for asking, why did you choose me to save that boy? There's many other impressive people in the royal medical institutions."

 

"It's trust. I can trust you." She said it with such conviction like trust is a real thing. She places such strong emotions on trust that I believe is what caused the frown on Shohei. 

 

"Iwata... iwata..." Shohei called out to him who appears oddly in a daze. 

 

"Ah.. sorry... what is it?"

 

"I guess everyone is tired today ne. Iwata, could I trouble you to send Mirei back? I'll drive princess back. I'm sure she has things to talk to me about." 

 

Not that I'm unhappy with the arrangements Shohei made, I'm sort of certain that he is still uncomfortable from my verbal slipoff. It's better I left it the way it is, bidding farewell then followed Iwata to his car. During the journey back, he seems deep in thoughts. I sat quietly more than usual until he broke the silence himself.

 

"Did something happen back there before me and princess intruded?"

 

"Heh?"

 

"Between you and Shohei... what were you two talking about? Seems serious."

 

"...It's nothing... i ... i"

 

"Confessed to him?"

 

"... h-how did you know?"

 

"It's not difficult to guess. Your face was blushing red hot even under the night sky and he looks awkwardly out of place. It's not usual ti see Shohei so uneasy."

 

I sighed, "Guess I shouldn't have said that."

 

"Don't say that... in fact, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. There's nothing wrong with professing your love for the person you like. At least the 2 of you are both royal subjects, you two make a realistic couple... (unlike me and her)," he murmured towards the end.

 

"What happened to you?"

 

"Is it obvious?"

 

"Maybe not. It's my work habit to notice people's expression."

 

"I'm your patient, I see..."

 

"No no, that's not what I mean." I clarified myself. 

 

"... have you ever met someone you hope you never meet again?"

 

Iwata asked in such depressed tone that I could feel he's not hating on the person he crossed path again, but rather he yearned for that person. Perhaps, there were some issues that kept them apart? Somehow, my instinct tells me it's a girl. I kept quiet knowing that the question was meant to be rhetoric.

 

"I thought I never see her again. It has been so hard for me, now she appears again, turning my entire mind into a whirlwind madness all over. Who does she think she is?" He continued to rant.

 

"Loving someone who is not meant for us, is never easy. I know you think it's not impossible for me and Shohei, but to me, he's really too far. He's like a star shinning so brilliantly above, surrounded by so many other gorgeous stars, that i can't seem to get close or touch it."

 

"Still, I'm different. I am bounded by unspoken circumstances. If love is sweet, mine can only be bitter with time. Shohei and you really aren't too far apart. And I get your fear of him attracting many girls. you are who you are. No need to compare. Besides, you are pretty too.If no one supports you, I will. So don't let me down, ne."

 

I have always heard of Iwata's charisma and charm, and if it wasn't because I fell for Shohei, i would have totally fell for him. His encouragement made me blush. As I thank him shyly, I noticed time had past fast as we chat. My adrenaline rush from the huge accomplishment never ended, giving me an insomnia that I didn't mind. It's wrong to celebrate over a poor boy's encounter, but that's the hard truth of a medical line. What i am worried more is the things beyond what I could cure, the issues behind the unscrupulous attack.

 

***

 

Hikari POV

 

"You're tired aren't you?" Shohei said in his mellow voice that's both soothing and alluring. Instead of answering him, i cuddle into his embrace. Instead of shrugging me away as he increasingly does to demonstrate the supposedly etiquette of a Queen-to-be, he lightly sighed and patted my head. "You are really reckless. Rather than me, I pity Yabu who is probably the most alert guy in the whole of Aoihoshi cause he has a careless princess to protect."

 

"Is he okay?" I felt ashamed for only asking now. "Yuto too?"

 

"They are both back in palace. Yabu is excused. He really had a nerve-wrecking day. I've sent Yuto to check on some stuff "

 

I nodded silently.

 

"Aren't you gonna ask me what I've tasked Yuto?"

 

Instead of answering his questions, my mind is intensely considering one of my most assertive moments. If what Ryosuke claims is true, then I really hadn't done my job as the custodian of the people's welfare. The mere thought of abuse of power sets me to a constant self-denial that none of what he said was true. I took a deep breathe, "Shohei. I told Iwata that I want a thorough investigation of this incident. The culprits cannot go scot free... and I need to assure myself and my people that it's just an isolated incident."

 

He didn't think at all before giving me an instantaneous reply. "I will support this too. In fact, I expected that already. What I'm curious is, do you believe what he said? The idea of a corrupt government that exploits from its people for the betterment of their own lives?"

 

"... I don't want to believe in it."

 

"So you do think this might be possibly what we are facing... I'm not gonna deny but I am fearful too. And similar to you, I want to assure myself." 

 

I was dumbfounded as Shohei's revelation struck me. He's seldom not confident. I saw from the corner of his eyes, his conscious aversion of my gaze, that look of doubt, I knew that the situation is not on our side. 

 

My phone vibrated. Ryosuke's number flashed. I opened the message, and there, it got me reading repeatedly. "Hikari, thanks for being here for me today. Once I get better, let me give you a treat. Let me know when you reach home so I know you're safe."

 

"It's him, isn't it?..."

 

"Shohei... we're impossible. He's attached with a pretty and talented girlfriend. I know too that we're different. Our beliefs are different. And, he hates me and won't even be befriending me if he knew I'm the crown princess he loathes." I slouched into the seat and was prepared to zone out to whatever Shohei might nag. Yet he remained silent, in full concentration of the road as if I hadn't said anything. What's he thinking?

 

***

Ryosuke POV

 

So that's how things became. The ward only left me and her. I observed quite long as my sister completely stayed stationery for a long time. I first thought she was so angry she didn't want to speak, then I felt she's weird. Staring at the door, blankly, after everyone exited, as if their soul went with the trio. I couldn't see her expression with her back facing me as she sat by my bed but her tone earlier was real furious. I decided to just break the silence and ease then mental torment.

 

"I'm sorry. You were already troubled by your work matters and all, seeing you all stressed up, I didn't want to worry you over me. I could deal with it myself, so I thought I can maybe tell you when things get better. I didn't know you'll react this way."

 

"Deal with it yourself? Yamada Ryosuke! I..." her voice cracked. I'm sure of it when I heard her. She couldn't even complete her sentence in a single finishing. She teared. Her hands gestured to wipe off whatever that i assumed has fallen from her eyes. I froze cause it truly took my surprise how much this affected her. 

 

"Oneesan... you okay?" I tried to sit up. It wasn't easy but my mistake was not holding it in, i moaned when it hurts. 

 

"How can it be okay dealing with it yourself! You're hurting!" She turned around, face flushed with anger. Or rather, in a moment of silence after the outburst, i realised it's more frustration she is experiencing. Her eyes were red, so it isn't just tearing, she's crying. Just like how I felt my heart break the day I saw her disheveled at my house, she felt the same too? I gently wiped the tears off her face, then I found her cold. I cannot imagined how nervous she had been since she heard my situation that she hasn't recovered from her shaking.

 

"You're the worst, Ryosuke... how can you? I thought you're going to leave me alone just like how our parents abandoned us..." her revelation sheds light on something I thought she had always dealt well. I thought she moved on so smoothly after our parents divorce. Apparently, it's her false front again. I spread out my arms and pulled her in. She was careful not to hurt me too, but I assured her it's okay, then she eased herself on my shoulders. "You're my only brother... how can I not worry. Don't you dare scare me like this ever again."

 

Whispering by her ears, "I promise. I will always let you know first. Oneesan..."

 

I looked into her softening eyes that night, and as her brother, despite being away from her awhile, I knew there's something else bothering her. 

 

"Is there something wrong? Nothing you wanna tell me?... you just said I'm your only brother."

 

"... Ryosuke... i... nah it's nothing... sleep, I'll stay with you tonight." She held my hands tightly, then gesturing me to lay back down.

 

"I don't really wanna stay here. I feel uneasy in their place. Can you bring me home?"

 

She nodded and so we did. Yes we struggled, bickered through whenever she carelessly guided me, but I did felt loved in this family. It's all coming back, the feelings of those days we have no one else to depend on except each other. It's reminiscing, and real as I silently watched her shouldering me on her arms. Whatever on her mind, i hope she would share it with me. I believe she will. Soon.

 

The recuperation took a whole 2 weeks. I got a full feedback of how tough the team went against the Sky High in the match me and Michieda didn't make it to. Sky High tried to play foul, this time violently knocking over my players. Suda played so hard, protecting the players and defending the turf while also making sure to attack. Yuto, I heard impressively defended almost every ball that came in the first half. We were already short of 2 players, Sky High hurt two more, sabotaged the team with penalty kicks. By the second half, everyone was exhausted. I'm thankful for Yuto and Suda for at least pulling everyone together, and ended the game without going too tragically. 0 versus 2. I'm proud of them. 

 

There's just Hikari whom I'm so thankful for but gave me the worst of time. I texted her over the 2 weeks away from school. I was in disappointment and at times, frustrated, with my monologue. I could check my phone several times hoping to see her name pop out, or else especially uplifted when my phone alert comes. Yet plummet when it turns out it's not her. 

 

"Well well well, maybe it's gratitude turns infatuation." Yudai joked. Daiki leaned over with his arms over my shoulders, giving me a dirty look.

 

"Ryosuke has a change of taste ne. y Kasumi, to little cute girl Hikari.... that's extreme but I totally understand. Flings do happen."

 

"Can you please shut up... i do not have a fling on her.."

 

"Maybe Ryosuke saw her wild side before, now he can't calm down... his heart and..." Yudai laughed with Daiki after their dirty joke. 

 

"Seriously... not talking to you guys. Regretted sharing." I stomped off, still hearing their giggling at the back. That's not distracting me from her rude non-reply. It's not like my messages are weird or disturbing. I just want to properly thank her. 

 

I see Airi and Umika chatting with Chinen. Hikari sitting alone, her chin on the table, seemingly lethargic. Her phone in her hand and that made me more irritated. There's no way she didn't see my message. If she is not keen for a meal, she could just say so. I calmed myself down, hoping to not sound agitated or interrogative as I walked to her table.

 

"Hikari..."

 

She looked up with widened eyes, pausing for a long time until her frown deepened. 

 

"Sorry Ryosuke..." she said before she hurried sprinted off from her seat, knocking past me then bumped into sensei before exiting the class. It's all as if she saw a apparition of some sort. Her back view disappeared as she turned out into the corridor.

 

"What the heck is wrong with her?" I turned to Chinen and the rest.

 

Chinen had a look of unsure, "Mmm... we wanted to ask you. Ever since that incident, she hasn't quite been herself. We thought you'll know."

 

Somehow I felt it was me. "Sensei... I'll check out on Hikari..." I ran after her and found her at the rooftop. She didn't know I was behind, very much because she is crying so loudly. 

 

"It's all my fault!!! I'm a useless idiot!!!" She shouted to the open.

 

"That's right, idiot." I called her. She knew it was me. Quickly squatted down and buried her head between her knees, as if I wouldn't be able to tell she was crying.

 

Sigh. I walked to her and squat to her level. She showed some resistant as I tried to remove her hands from her face. Prying open with my bare hands, I was surprised to see how she appeared so devastated like something serious happened. "What happened Hikari?" I asked in grave concern.

 

"... it's all my fault... you won't be hurt because of me. I'm so useless." She started hurting herself.

 

"You're still thinking of the incident. Hey dear, silly girl, I am more than thankful for you, why should it be your fault. You found me, and you cant imagine how your presence at the warehouse set me at ease. You helped me contact kasumi and so thoughtfully knew I wouldn't want to break it to my sister. I'm genuinely glad you were there with me. So stop blaming yourself. It's never your fault." I pat her head, sitting her down beside me. I kept her close, my arms stretched across her petite shoulders like buddies, and gradually she calmed down.

 

"You're right about them. Those players and their parents plot to hurt you... They're all scot-free...I couldn't stop them or punish them. I'm useless!"

 

"So this is why you are so affected... I'm not even surprised by this truth. And it definitely is not your fault. People like us cannot stop them. So don't blame yourself, it's those people and the royalty that should commit harakiri. Not you..."

 

She started sobbing again so I pulled her in. like a small puppy, she buried her head against my chest and cried. "Silly girl" i stayed with her for one whole lesson time at the rooftop until I'm sure she has completely calmed down.

 

"Shall we go back to class?"

 

She nodded, shyly. Probably embarrassed at her scene earlier, though I made it obvious that I'm not minding it at all. Clearly, I'm not good at comforting people. She was in front of me, and when i was about to walk beside her, I saw her back view again. That same backview when she dashed past the corridor earlier, and... the first session at the national stadium which she 'wasn't around'...

 

"Hikari... you are there at the first session. Why did you pretend you're not around?"

 

"Huh?" She froze in shocked and her eyes deliberately averting my gaze. "I... i really wasn't there. You must have seen wrongly... (laughs)" the laughter was definitely awkward, her follow-up reaction was even more suspicious. "I should drop by sensei's office first to apologise. I'll explain for you too. See you in class Ryosuke!" She ran off and I ain't stopping her cause I was certain she's hiding something but what is it?

 

***