Chapter 1

Sheltered (mafia!Kai)

Short: Law student and intern Kim Jongin uses his charms for a dangerous pastime behind the screens, but he falls for the most normal girl.
Words: 3080
Type: Angst/Fluff
Pairing: Kai x Miyong (oc)
Warnings: mentioning of an accident
A/N: This will run chronologically with Engraved, but it’s not needed to read this to understand Engraved, but the parts posted for Engraved after this will contain spoilers. It is also not necessary to read Engraved to understand what is happening here. But it will make things more clear.


Kai pov

The office was in it’s usual bustling state of busy. Sounds of rustling paper, the copy machines, nails on keyboard filling his ears while he was going over his merger case. The two companies had a lot in common but their client was trying to get more out of the deal. He was searching through databases and e-mailing people to try and get the information he needed to let everything go as smoothly as possible. 
His booth was at the far corner of the room, and he had the wall on his left and the rest of the room on his right. He liked it, this way he could see everything. It wasn’t too big of a room, there were about 10 paralegals and interns in here. Everyone knew each other by now, much to his tries of keeping to himself. The people were nice and it was nice to be around them, sometimes they went out for a drink after work, or all got lunch together. 
The girl beside him leant over the booth, her head on her hands on the small wall. “What are you working on?” she asked, warm caramel curls falling over the edge and framing her face. 
For a second he looked up a little shocked. “Oh, merger, nothing big.”
She nodded and smiled. “You got a lot of work left?”
He smiled back at her, for a second he had forgotten she was there, too caught up in his work. But she was always in the booth beside him. Her name was Miyong. 
“Nah, I’ll probably be done early tonight, really. I need to study for ethics anyway and Nigel said I could leave if I finish this and it’s okay.” He leant back in his chair, closing his eyes for a second. “I’m drained.”
“How about we go for lunch?” she asked, cocking her head to one side. There was something so nice about the way she smiled, big brown eyes sparkling with excitement. She was a really nice girl, and they’ve been hanging out for a while now, but he hadn’t really done anything. For now they were just friends. But she was nice to be around, and she was open and sweet and calm. On the other hand she was a little childlike, like him, and when she talked about something she loved her voice sped up to a point where he could barely understand. 
“What are you thinking to get? You want to go sit somewhere?” he asked. 
She shook her head, curls bouncing. “I was thinking to get coffee and a bagel or something and then walk for a bit. It’s not that warm but the sun’s out. We can go to the park.”
“Sure!” he said, and he wondered if he sounded a bit too excited then. Whether the smile on his face was a little too big. Whether she knew that he liked her this much. 
They got up and went to get their coats. He was wearing black pants and a simple white button up, she was wearing a grey skirt with a dark pink coloured turtleneck that framed her body perfectly but wasn’t too tight. Both of them wore long coats, her brown and his black. And they walked outside with their hands stuffed in their pockets, making sure to sign off at the secretary. 
Anna, the secretary smiled at them. She was probably over fifty but she was the nicest lady. One time, when Jongin had to work late she had brought him something to eat. “You love birds, so cute together.” She mused and winked at them. 
Jongin felt the warmth spread up his cheek and neck and he rubbed the back of his head. Miyong chuckled and pulled him outside. She walked with her arm linked through his, hands in her pockets to protect them from the cold. 
Miyong leant against him, shivering a little and he chuckled. “I thought you said it wasn’t that cold.”
“No, I said the sun was shining, but we’re still in the shade.” She mumbled and walked a little faster. Her usual place to get coffee was just outside the park, she’d taken him once before, their coffee was really good. 
It was a small barista place hidden between the larger restaurants their terraces. They arrived pretty quickly and as soon as they left the tall building lined streets and the sun his their face he did feel it was warmer. He took in the feeling, and hoped spring would come soon. Sadly it was only just becoming winter and harsher times were to come. 
“Ah, I want to go to the park when there’s snow.” She said randomly as they entered, it was warmer inside and the fresh scent of coffee filled his senses. He loved the smell but for quite some time he didn’t like the taste. But now he liked it a lot better with sugar. 
“You still drink caramel macchiato?” he asked her as they stood in line. 
She nodded pulled her arm from his to reach into her bag, he touched her arm to stop her. “I’ll buy.”
“No you won’t, this was my idea.”
“Don’t even try.” He said. “I’m paying and that’s it.” 
She pouted and crossed her arms over her chest. “I’ll buy food then.” 
He rolled his eyes. “Fine.”
A light chuckle left her lips as he ordered their coffees and paid. “What?” he asked. 
She shrugged. “Nothing really, you have a nice smile. You’re always really polite, I just don’t see it that often with guys like you.” 
He frowned at her, a little confused. “How do you mean?”
They were waiting in the back until the barista had made their coffees and he looked down at her. She was quite a bit shorter than him, but it suited her. 
“Oh, just…” She blushed lightly. “You’re like really handsome, when I first saw you I thought you were some rich model kid or something. I expected you to be slightly arrogant or bratty. But you’re actually not.” She was the one to grab their cups when they were placed on the counter, and she thanked the girl who made them, wholeheartedly. 
Outside he spoke again. “I used to be a lot more arrogant I think.” It wasn’t a confession he made often, and it made her look up with confusion, small hands cupped around the coffee. 
She walked close to him again, and he followed her to the bagel place that she always talked about. He hadn’t been there before but she was really excited about it. 
“What made you change?” she asked, taking a sip of her coffee and the blowing little clouds of steam into the cold air. “We go left here by the way.” She guided him around the shoulder by lightly pushing him with her body. 
He sighed. “I used to go to the Dancing academy here. Bu-“
“What??! You went to Lee-Young’s?!” she exclaimed with big eyes. 
“Oh…yeah.”
“I didn’t know you danced, let alone were that good.” She mumbled, pouting a little. 
Jongin chuckled and bumped her lightly. “It’s not that nice of a place really. It’s all competition and no friendship, and I guess that’s why I was so arrogant. I felt like I was better than others because I got in there, but I wasn’t.”
“Did you quit?”
He shook his head, and brushed a stray strand of hair back up with the rest. And he felt the sudden nerves in his shaking digits, should he just tell her? “I was thrown off.”
“What?” she gasped, and she stopped him by grabbing his sleeve. “What happened?”
Jongin reverted his eyes to their shoes, her low heeled ankle boots, his dress shoes. “I got into a car accident.”
A soft gasp left her lips and she touched his arm. “You don’t have to tell me, it’s okay.”
He was silent, and then looked at her. She was looking up at him, round eyes full of concern. “I just couldn’t dance anymore after that.”
“I’m sorry.” She whispered. “Are you okay now?”
Jongin nodded. “I am, thank you.”
“Let’s go, I’m starving.” She linked her arm through his again as they walked on, but she didn’t put her hand into her pocket. He felt her small hand slide into the pocket of his own coat, and reach out for his hand in the small space, intertwining their fingers. Her hand was much much smaller than his, and he felt her manicured nails lightly scrape over the top of his hands. It was cold, but both of their hands quickly warmed in the confined space. 
After walking a little more they turned a corner onto a little square with all these tiny shops. “It’s right there, Sweet Bagels.” 
“Sweet Bagels? Really? How much of a sweet tooth do you really have?” he laughed. “I still hold up to my suspicion of you filling up that candy jar of yours regularly so that it seems like you don’t eat that many.” 
She squinted her eyes at him. “I do not.”
“Miyong I see you munching on those things all day through at the office, and that thing never goes empty!” he was laughed and she pushed a finger into his chest. 
“You’re just jealous that you’re not getting any!” 
He rolled his eyes and she took their intertwined hands from his pocket to pull him inside the small shop. But unfortunately he missed the little step and he tumbled, twisting his ankle and finding support on a neighbouring chair. He gritted his teeth, groaning, as pain shot up his leg. “.” 
Miyong was beside him in an instant, touching his back lightly. “, are you okay?” 
Jongin stood up straight and tried to stand up on his leg. Hot pain, like sparks, all the way from his ankle to his knee. “I will be I just need to sit. Is that okay?”
“Of course. Oh my god. Like don’t worry about it. We can sit inside and eat. We’ll take a cab back, it’s cold outside anyway. The park will be there next time.”
Next time. He thought and smiled lightly through the pain. “Thanks.” She helped him sit at a table as he limped slightly, but the pain ebbed away quickly as it always did after he twisted it. “I’ll be okay really, I’ll pay for the cab.”
“No, seriously I pulled you and you tripped. I feel bad, please let me just.”
Jongin shook his head, stretching his leg out under the table and bumping her foot accidentally. “You pay enough Miyong. You have your own place, you drive your own car, pay your own tuition. My family pays a lot of my expenses, so please.” 
She studied him, and sighed. “Okay.” 
He smiled and touched her hand on the table. “It’s okay. It’ll be gone in an hour or so, it happens a lot.”
“Is it the leg you hurt in the accident?”
He nodded. “It was trapped underneath the steering wheel, I broke it in 4 places. I was lucky they weren’t open breaks, or I’d have lost my leg.”
Sadness crossed her face and he squeezed her hand lightly. “Hey, don’t worry about me I’ll be fine.”
After she looked at him for a little longer, studying his features, she nodded and grabbed a menu to open it up in front of him. “Let’s eat.”
“Okay,” he chuckled. “What’s best here.”
She pointed out various things on the menu , and meanwhile Jongin was a little wary of them other people in the place. That had by now adverted their eyes from them. 
“So my favourite is the apple cinnamon one, but the snickers, or cookies and cream are really nice too. Oh and the white chocolate raspberry.”
He cringed his nose at the last one. “So sweet, I can feel my teeth aching already.”
“Says the guy who drinks his coffee with two cubes of sugar and heaps of milk.” She mumbled under her breath and he smirked. 
“What?”
“Nothing!”
Soon a waiter came to their table, he seemed young, maybe 16, but he was really nice and polite. “Can I take your order?”
Jongin motioned for her to order first. 
“Ahh for me, a green tea, and a white chocolate raspberry bagel.” She smiled sweetly to the boy and he tapped everything in on a small tablet. Then he turned to Jongin.
“For me a green tea too, and a cinnamon apple bagel.” The boy nodded and left the table to pass through the order. He returned quite quickly with their drinks, placing them on the table. 
“I’m surprised you drink green tea, no coffee?” he joked as he opened the teabag and placed it in his water. “I mean I suspected you were quite as much caffeine addicted as you were to sugar.”
She gasped and place a hand over her heart in fake hurt. “Jongin, why are you so judgemental. I cannot believe. Not everyone who loves coffee is addicted, and people can love both tea and coffee. I just think the taste is too strong to have it with food.”
“There you are right.”
They were both laughing, and talking about the little things. What tv shows they watch and bad sleeping habit. Miyong apparently sleeps with her socks on, and Jongin told her about how he sometimes wakes up hugging his pillow. And she’s jokingly replied that he needed a cuddle buddy to which he didn’t really know what to reply. So they’d left the topic and moved on to annoying people on the office, bad habits when writing. 
“Hi, I have a raspberry white chocolate bagel?” the waiter said from beside the table.
“Oh that’s mine.” Miyong said and he placed her plate in front of her, Jongin’s in front of him. 
“We should probably hurry though.” Miyong said looking at her phone. “We’ve been out for like half an hour already.”
Their breaks were about an hour, and they were checked. So they’d have to hurry a little indeed. “Let me call a cab, it’ll save us some time.” She nodded and he got out his phone to order a cap via the app they used. They being him and the guys, not his company. The bill would be issued to their place and Suho would just take it with the rest of the expenses. “They’ll be here in 20 minutes.” 
“Quick then.”
“You’re going to get sugar rush from that thing if you eat it too quick.” Jongin said to her taking a first bite of his own bagel. The flavour was amazing, and the apples were slightly warm. “Oh, this is really good!”
She chuckled. “Yeah, I told you didn’t I!” With warm brown eyes focused on her own bagel, she cut off a little piece and offered it to him. “Try this one.” 
He frowned a little but leant over the table to take the bite from her fork. It was a little odd, the sweetness of the raspberry and the heavy buttery taste of the white chocolate. The bread however, sort of made it perfect, dulled out the tastes and complimented them in a way he never thought he’d enjoy. “Hmm.” He said with his mouth full. “Okay, you win.”
She did a little victory wiggle in her chair and he laughed, so cute. 
“I like your smile.” She said, wiping a little white chocolate of the corner of . “It’ s cute.” 
He blushed and looked down. “Thank you.” 
“Ah, don’t get shy on me now. It’s true.” 
There was a bit of silence after that, as they ate their bagels. Until Jongin decided to speak up. “I think you’re really pretty.” 
A frown appeared on her face but it soon turned into a smile. “Thank you. But don’t feel like you have to say that just because I gave you a compliment.”
He was shocked and it probably showed on his face. “No, I mean it, I really think you’re pretty.”
She chuckled. “I enjoy spending time with you. You’re really easy going, more so than I thought you were.”
“Likewise.” He said, but then he corrected himself. “Oh, no not that I didn’t think you were but…”
“Ah, I know. I don’t know if I mentioned it before, but I teach at this dancing school back at home.”
His eyes widened. “You dance?”
“Have I never mentioned?” she asked cocking her head to the side. 
He shook his head. “No, I’m sure I’d have remembered. What style?”
“Oh, I don’t really dance myself anymore. But I used to dance ballet before I went to law school.” There was a hint of sadness in her voice, but Jongin knew how much time it took up to study law, and he knew that keeping up ballet on the side was a hard thing to do. “I was too short and chubby anyways to get into anywhere big.” She mumblingly added. 
“I think you’re beautiful as you are. Dancing shouldn’t be limited to body sizes, it’s a stupid rule.” She smiled genuinely at him, but he also knew that he had it easy. Always having been lean and tall. He felt for her though, he once knew a guy that got kicked of the program because he grew too tall.
“But I didn’t want to let go of it completely, I’ve been dancing since I was a little girl. So I agreed to teach one group of little kids on wednesdays. They’re so cute, tiny little boys and girls.” There was a sparkle in here eyes and he looked at her in awe. He could hear her passion in the way she talked. “I don’t know if I’m being too forward, of if it makes you uncomfortable. But if you like it you could come along in two weeks, I’m sure they’ll love you.”
He was stilled for a moment and he looked at her. He hadn’t danced since the day of his accident, because he couldn’t really. He needed an insole to stop himself from limping due to the multiple breaks, and sometimes his leg hurt after the tiniest wrong movement. It would be a lie to say that he wasn’t a little scared to go, but he didn’t want to turn her down. “Yeah, of course. I’d love to come along.”
“It’s a date.” She smiled the brightest smile yet.