Kid Influx

Whistle, Whistle, Whistle

By the time June rolled around, Kim Sunggyu began dreading coming into work.

Why?

With each passing day, schools would let out for the summer, and kids would spend longer at the pool. And having kids at the pool would be a disaster. At least, it would be to him.

“I don’t want to go to work today,” Sunggyu complained to Dongwoo as he pulled on the manager shirt.

“Well, I can’t exactly cover you,” Dongwoo replied, pulling on his pants. He had to teach a class and several private lessons, so he was going to be at the studio nearly all day. “Sorry, man.”

“I know there are going to be so many kids because most of the schools let out yesterday,” Sunggyu complained. “And they’re going to think they can do whatever they want because it’s summer and no parents, and all the guards are going to be yelling every five minutes and there’s going to be kids screaming, and I don’t think I can handle it.”

Dongwoo patted his best friend’s shoulder sympathetically. “Don’t worry, hyung,” he said. “You’ll be fine. Besides, Hoya and Myungsoo are going to be working, so they’ll calm the teenage girls down with their looks, and Chae Seon and Hajin will handle the rowdy kids, no problem. If there’s a real issue, you just have to walk over there with your face of dissatisfaction and they’ll run away like chastised puppies.”

He couldn’t help it: Sunggyu laughed a little. Trust Dongwoo to make him feel a little better. “Thanks, Dongwoo-ah,” he said, patting his shoulder in return. “I’d better get going.”

“Sunggyu-hyung, fighting!” The dance teacher called as he closed the front door.


Whistle!

“Walk!” Hajin yelled from the stand at a kid who was running fast enough to make the Olympics. It was the twenty-third--and yes, she had been counting--time she’d had to tell a kid to walk this rotation. And each rotation was fifteen minutes. “Aish, can’t kids learn to listen?”

Whistle!

“Only one person on the diving board at a time!” Hoya called.

“Oh, sorry,” the teenage girl twittered, a flirtatious look on her face. He rolled his eyes and turned to pointedly ignore her.

“Stupid teenagers,” he mumbled.

Whistle!

“Drop the pool noodles!” Another guard yelled, stomping over to a group of kids who were beating each other viciously with pool noodles. They were running around rambunctiously, smacking anyone and everyone, even the little kids caught in the crossfire, though Hajin was sure it was all accidental. When the kids showed no sign of obeying, the guard called threateningly, “I will bench you all if you don’t stop!”

When they still didn’t listen, Hajin watched as Chae Seon made her way over. Of all the guards, Chae Seon was known as the strict guard. Because her facial expressions hardly changed when she dealt with members (and that facial expression was one of blankness, detached and emotionless) she could get most kids to behave without opening .

And that’s exactly what happened. The moment the kids saw her coming, they exchanged hesitant and wary looks, stilling immediately. She folded her arms, not glaring at the kids, but not giving them a friendly gaze either. She pointed to the pool noodles, and then to the ground. Immediately the kids dropped them, and scattered like the leaves in the wind. The guard profusely thanked Chae Seon before helping her pick up the abandoned pool noodles.

Hajin had to smile. Chae Seon was definitely a reserved and prickly person, even more so than Hoya and Myungsoo. She didn’t warm up to people easily, and people often couldn’t handle her lack of emotion or speech, however, Hajin knew that she cared. She protected those she felt deserving of it, and stood by what she thought was right. She had no intention of dispelling her cold, robotic image, but Hajin wanted people to see that Chae Seon wasn’t as scary as she seemed.

She knew why Hoya and Chae Seon were close. They complemented each other as friends. They were both reserved and abrasive, quiet though willing to share their thoughts, and hardworking and loyal to a fault. Their relationship was one of silent conversations, intimate silences, and an innate understanding of each other.

Woohyun and Hoya’s relationship, however, was progressing noticeably. Since the little dance showcase the Hoya and Chae Seon had put on for the staff, the two had gotten closer and closer, exchanging longer conversations whenever Hoya went to the snack bar to get food, or Woohyun went to drop off food at the guard office in his spare time, or right after their shifts ended and they walked to their cars. Everyone with eyes could see that there was something going on between them that was different from most friendships. After all, Hoya was a quiet person, and Woohyun was loud, Hoya was reserved and Woohyun was affectionate, Hoya was a dancer and Woohyun was most certainly not.

“Noona?” Hoya’s voice broke the train of her thoughts. “Are you okay?” She startled, turning to see Hoya had been pushed to her stand, but couldn’t go on it if she didn’t get off.

“Ah, uh, yes,” she stammered as she hastily got down from the lifeguard stand, going on standby and watching the pool while Hoya got into position. Once he nodded at her, she eagerly scurried away. That was so embarrassing!

Before she could get very far, Hoya called for her again. “Noona... could you order my usual?”

Still red from embarrassment, Hajin managed a nod before speeding off again, this time towards the snack bar, where Sungjong was at the window. “Hello, noona,” he greeted cheerfully, before noticing her expression. “Are you okay?”

“Y-Yeah! Yeah, I am,” she said, finally calming down. “I was just embarrassed, that’s all.”

“Do you need something from the snack bar?” He asked, gesturing the the space behind him.

“No, not for me, but for Hoya,” she shook her head, her words gaining Woohyun’s attention.

“Let me guess, he wants his usual?” The chef interjected, sighing as Hajin nodded. “And he sent you to order for him? Aish...”

Hajin felt the need to speak up. “Hey, he’s on stand right now, and we only have a thirty minute break when we get down, so he wants to be able to eat right away, or give him as much time as possible to eat if members start ordering,” she defended him.

He shrugged. “Okay, if you say so...” he drawled before turning back to the kitchen to make Hoya’s order.

As Hajin walked away, a small smile appeared on her face. Woohyun and Hoya really did have a special friendship. Which reminded her of the main obstacle in the two’s relationship.

Chae Seon.

It was weird to think that Hoya’s best--and childhood--friend was his obstacle in getting closer to Woohyun, but it was the truth. Woohyun was simply not comfortable with Chae Seon. Her typical attitude was one of the reasons, but Hajin was almost sure there was another reason: their couple dances. After seeing their dances together, and the chemistry they could generate between them, anyone would doubt the true nature of their relationship. It was hard to tell what Chae Seon thought of Woohyun and Hoya--if she even knew--but if they’d dated before and failed so quickly, then Hajin couldn’t see how Chae Seon could be a romantic threat. Unless Chae Seon still had feelings for Hoya, but Hajin thought that was a small margin.

Her eyes caught sight of Myungsoo talking gently to a rowdy toddler, explaining a pool rule to her, and she remembered another relationship issue: Myungsoo and Sungyeol’s.

As far as she knew, Sungyeol was still unaware of Myungsoo’s feelings. He did, however, believe that Areum was after Myungsoo, which was not helped by the fact that he and Areum had gotten closer lately. Sungyeol had gotten into a habit of glaring at Areum or clinging to Myungsoo more (not that he was complaining) whenever he saw the two of them together. It was inevitable that the two would get together: the question was when and how. Right now, Sungyeol was just holding in all his angry and jealous feelings, not bothering to analyze why he was so upset or why he didn't want to do anything; holding it all in, however, was going to blow up in his face, maybe literally. Hajin wanted to be around to see that happen.

Except for this change in the usual work dynamic, life had been pretty regular. Sungjong was still sassy to rebellious teenagers, motherly to the little kids, and charming to the adults. Areum was still responsible and mature, handling all cases with the same professionalism Hajin could only assume would carry over to her future court cases. Hajin was still the goofy yet mature cousin of Sungyeol who actually knew when to toe the line and not get in trouble, like he did. Dongwoo was still the infectiously happy assistant manager who was everyone’s personal sun, whether it was an employee or a member. Sunggyu was still that dark cloud that members saw as threatening and scary, but the staff had come to appreciate as a relief from the scorching sun (not Dongwoo) that was typical of summer.

So, for the most part, everything was good. It was just Woohyun, Hoya, Sungyeol, Myungsoo and Chae Seon who were off. It wasn’t like some of the best guards and the best chef were undergoing some inner turmoil regarding each other that would push them all over the brink and change their dynamics for better or for worse.

Yeah, everything would be just peachy.



On a scale of 10 to 10, how angry are you guys? This is half a chapter, and it took nearly two weeks to come out. 

Let me explain myself. This chapter was supposed to revolve primarily around Donggyu. What was supposed to happen was that Sunggyu would have to deal with rowdy kids and get really frustrated and debate why he still works at this country club and Dongwoo would swoop in like a superhero, handle the kids, and send Sunggyu on his merry way to destress and relax away from work.

What ended up happening was me getting too excited about the chapter after this one and working on it instead, but still needing to fill you guys in on what had been happening in between "Dance Showcase" and the next chapter, called "Freak Accident." So, Hajin ended up giving you all an update on how Wooya and Myungyeol are progressing, all while embarrassing herself in front of Hoya. 

Also, did you guys notice the two potential ship scenes I put in this chapter and last chapter? My original intention was to ship Sungjong and Chae Seon (Dance Showcase,) but I held back, to see what you guys think. So I put a chapter where Sungjong and Hajin interact. It's not as intimate as the Sungjong/Chae Seon scene, though...

The next chapter, "Freak Accident," revolves around the Woohyun/Hoya/Chae Seon dynamic! I know I'm focusing a lot on Wooya, but Sungyeol needs to stew in anger a little longer before he snaps. I can't wait to write that scene!

Let me know what you guys are thinking!