Compromise

Redemption
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And so, you just need to... Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol blinked out of his daydream, startled. “Ah, yes?”

The old man sighed at the other line. “You weren't listening, were you? What is wrong with you, Chanyeol? You has been acting weird since last week. Even at the meeting on Wednesday, you weren't focused at all.”

Chanyeol sighed, face palming himself. He was aware. His lack of concentration has been increasing since he met Baekhyun. No matter how he tried to focus on something, the brunet would still pop in his head. His pleading voice... his crying face... Chanyeol didn't know how to get rid of them.

“I know, I'm sorry.” Mr Park knew his son wasn't one to be unprofessional. The only reason Chanyeol would act this—distracted was definitely related to his grandson. Mr Park could feel it.

“Did something happened to Jiwon?”

Chanyeol was surprised by the unexpected question. His father, wasn't one to stray away from work-related topic. He just, never did that.

“Ah, no, he is fine.” his smile could be heard through his voice. Just his son name was enough to chase his worries away. Even just for a short time.

“Then what is wrong? Chanyeol, you know I already strongly disagree with you working so far away from the Company. I know you have your reasons, but you can't allow yourself to be distracted by anything on these conditions. I trust you enough to make you this favor, don't disappoint me.”

Chanyeol could only sigh. He rarely made mistake, but Baekhyun's return took a toll on him. The fact that he couldn't stop thinking of him was honestly troubling.

The singer asked him to contact him, but he didn't. Things weren't just as easy. What did Baekhyun expect? He couldn't just come back like that and asked to be back in their life. Not when he made the choice to leave on his own.

Chanyeol didn't know what to feel. He was so conflicted. Giving Baekhyun a chance would have so many consequences. Like, bringing up the past he tried to get over. The risk of his wounds opening also scared him.

Chanyeol didn't want to go through the same he did five years ago. Not now when he had a four year old who was smart enough to understand what was going on around him.

He couldn't take that risk. For his son.

Yet again, could he just forbid Baekhyun to see his own son?

Chanyeol sighed. This situation was exhausting him mentally.

“Father, can we, continue this conversation later?” he needed a break

“As you wish, but you better be focused next time we talk.”

Chanyeol nodded and took off the earpiece. He leaned on the leather chair with a sigh, gaze trained on the ceiling.

“What to do?” he whispered to himself. He was honestly lost.

Keeping Baekhyun away from them seemed honestly the best solution. But Chanyeol couldn't just disregard the brunet feelings of wanting to see his son.

That would be too cruel. And Chanyeol wasn't that type of person.

He also wasn't seeking vengeance. To be honest, he was past that. He wasn't feeling hateful enough to make Baekhyun go through the kind of suffering he experienced.

Chanyeol just wanted his peaceful life to keep going on, without any disturbance. Which Baekhyun clearly represented.

What if he wasn't honest? What if he never even planned to stay? What if he was just there for a short period and would return back to his celebrity life once he is done with what he wanted?

Chanyeol couldn't just let his son go through a second heartbreak of watching his dad leave him behind. Even though the first time, he wasn't old enough to realize what was going on.

Understand, at this point, the only thing that matters for Chanyeol is his son. He would do anything to protect him. Even if it meant protecting him against his own father.

So, what mattered more? Baekhyun's feelings or Jiwon's well-being? For Chanyeol the choice was already made.

He wouldn't contact Baekhyun at all. For his son.


 


 

שש


 


 

A week went by, and still no contact from Chanyeol. Saying he expected it would be deceiving himself. He knew Chanyeol was still clearly angry at him for what happened years ago. But, he thought that maybe the latter would give him a chance?

Baekhyun knew Chanyeol more than anyone. No matter how angry the latter could be at him, he would never come to the point of hating him. And certainly, not hurting him on purpose.

These were the flaws in Park Chanyeol that made Baekhyun fall I love with him.

But, pain and time changes people. Baekhyun can't really expect Chanyeol to be the same after what he went through. They weren't teenagers anymore. It wasn't just a small quarrel, there was a child involved. Of course Chanyeol would take his son side on this fragile matter.

Baekhyun honestly would understand. But, understanding didn't mean accepting it. It hurt.

What worried him the most was the time passing by. Baekhyun only had two weeks left before returning back to Seoul. He could have asked his parents about Chanyeol's address. But, he already made up his mind since the beginning that he wouldn't involve them in this.

He still hadn't informed them about his return. This is a matter he had to take care of, himself. Chanyeol knew where to find him. And if by the end of his deadline Chanyeol still hadn't contact him, then Baekhyun would leave—

—and never come back. Just like Chanyeol wished.

The brunet sighed, sitting near his room window. It was raining outside. How sad. He normally loves rain, but just not today.

His gaze slid down his hand where he was holding his phone. With his free hand, he caressed the screen gently, smiling softly at the picture of the little boy in a bunny onesie. A gift from his mother.

The urge to meet him was growing each seconds passing by. Baekhyun wanted to see him with his own eyes. See just how big he grew. It was essential to him.

Of course, one would think, if he cared that much then he should have come back sooner. It's true. But, he never got the means. It wasn't up till recently that he finally got freedom over his moves. Until then, everything was orchestrated for him.

Right now, Baekhyun would give anything to obtain their forgiveness. Chanyeol could ask him to give up on his career, and he would do it. Chanyeol could ask him to stay and he would never leave again. Baekhyun didn't care anymore, fame and fortune were meaningless words to him.

He just needed one word from Chanyeol. Just one.

Baekhyun sighed and stood up from the floor. The weather was so morose, perfectly matching his mood. He wouldn't gain anything by staying in his room and hoping for a call.

Marching to his wardrobe, Baekhyun took a long brown coat, a knotted scarf and put it on. He didn't even know where he was going, but it didn't matter. He needed fresh air, so he would go wherever his feet would bring him.


 


 

שש


 


 

Chanyeol was deep in thought when his ringtone brought him back to earth. He searched for the engine buried under the pile of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter