Don't Tell Me Bye

Don't Tell Me Bye
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Don’t Tell Me Bye

College life was exactly what Kyungsoo needed at the moment. Endless hours of studying and courses that lasted more than three hours; the perfect combination to keep him busy all day long. And in the dark hours, just before dawn, when he would finally finish with his essays and revisions, he’d lay down on the bed and fall asleep, happy that he had a full day. That’s when he could hear the noises of his fellow college students, the representatives of another college life. The one where drinking all night and hooking up with strangers was more important than passing the final exams.

                At first, his friend Sehun had tried to lure him into going clubbing or meeting up with blind dates. But Kyungsoo quickly cut him off. He had a plan. He was going to finish college a year earlier, so he would get an internship as soon as he graduated and get hired in a position where the rank climbing would be not only possible but quick as well. And then all his problems would be solved. No more part time jobs, no more worrying about meeting the deadlines or not getting the mark he needed in order to keep the scholarship. And now more than ever, he could feel his childhood dream getting closer and closer.  No one thought that he would make it, but he had worked hard anyway. And when he got into a Seoul University, the only kid from his community to do so, and not only that, but also the kid of the local drunk who lived off the common wealth coupons,  well, he sure showed them how wrong they were for not believing in him.

                But now, he had to work even harder. The last few meters to the finish line were the most important. Besides, this wasn’t a sprint, this was a marathon. So no holidays, no parties and no distractions. Which wasn’t that easy these days. Lately, he felt that someone was following him. He had told Sehun to knock it off, but his friend simply rolled his eyes and told him that the too much studying was making him paranoid. Was he?

“Maybe you have a secret admirer,” Junmyeon said, as he sipped his bitter coffee. Junmyeon was his sunbae and they had become friends after Sehun had responded to his ad in search for roommate. Not that he really needed someone to share his rent with, as Junmyeon was rich enough to become the piggy bank for his friends. On the other hand, Sehun was the free loader kind of person. He and Kyungsoo were childhood friends and Sehun got into Seoul college as well, after Kyungsoo had moved there. Him and Junmyeon were Kyungsoo’s only friends, even though they always tried to make him hang out with other college students.

“If you’re trying to be funny, don’t. You’re only embarrassing yourself,” Kyungsoo snapped. He wasn’t in the mood for Junmyeon’s jokes.

“No, I’m serious!” Junmyeon laughed, which didn’t helped support his point. “It’s been three years. Maybe someone likes you.”

“I’m going to leave if you keep this up!” Kyungsoo threatened him, though he knew that these threats didn’t really work on Junmyeon.

“Okay, but what else can it be?” 

“Just try to be serious! Is any of your friends trying to play a prank on me?”

“Like who?”

“That annoying Baekhyun or his idiot friend Youngjae!”

“I thought you liked Baekhyun!”

“When did I say that I like him?”

“You know, that other day, at the park…”

“I said I can tolerate him.”

“Same thing. But I doubt that they will do that. They are busy this semester. Social sciences are no joke,” Junmyeon said seriously.

“Come on! We’re economics and I still have time for two part times. Besides, with those two, I bet they could make time to be clowns.”

“Just to spite you? Maybe it’s just your imagination. Just wait a little and don’t go rushing to the police station.”

“I wasn’t going to go to the police!” Kyungsoo yelled, but his friend was right. He had to wait a little and see. If it was these two idiots, then they’ll probably get bored and leave him alone. If it’s just him, then that will solve itself quickly. But what if it got worse? The thought kept nagging in his head and didn’t let him calm down. What if things were worse than he could imagine? What if things got more dangerous?

######

“That’s the second tart you ate in an hour!” Soonyoung pointed out, leaking the wiped cream off his fingers.

Daehyun gave him a light slap on the head. “Mind your own business!”

“Stop it you two! People are watching!” Seungkwan yelled.

Daehyun rolled his eyes. He asked himself for the millionth time why he was hanging out with these two freshmen. Then again, he’s other friends, Yongguk and Himchan had already graduated and they were busy with finding a job, and Seungkwan and Soonyoung were great guys, only a little immature.

At the next table, a guy with pink hair and a broad face was trying to back hug his friend, who didn’t seem really into it and was pushing him away. Comparing to them, he and Soonyoung weren’t that bad. Especially when you saw the face of their other friend, who looked totally embarrassed of his companions and was trying to get the pink haired guy to seat down. Seungkwan shouldn’t be so mad at them after all.

Daehyun watched them in amusement as the three of them were arguing, when his eyes fell on the fourth guy sitting with them. And he was looking at him. Daehyun quickly turned his gaze elsewhere, embarrassed. How long had he been looking at them?

“Are we on for tonight?” Soonyoung was asking, looking overexcited, as always.

“Oh, yes, of course we’ll be there,” Daehyun assured him. “We can’t miss our Soonyoung’s dancing debut, can we?”

Soonyoung smiled brightly. He was studying dance and he was selected to perform for a small idol group at a festival. It wasn’t much, but it a start and Daehyun was very proud for his friend.

“Great! I’ll wink at you between the songs, so don’t miss it! Okay?” Soonyoung said a little too seriously.

“How would you know where we would be sitting?” Seungkwan rolled his eyes.

“I’ll spot you, don’t worry! Just keep your eyes glued on me.”

“Of course,” Daehyun mused and got up. “And since our star is ready to shine, I’ll pay for the coffee.”

“Thank you, hyung!”  Seungkwan and Soonyoung cried in unison and Daehyun had to stop himself from laughing. These two!

Daehyun approached the counter and asked for the bill.

“Sure, just a minute. It seems that our cashier has a minor problem,” the coffee boy replied.

“It’s okay, I’ll wait,” Daehyun replied.

“You’re buying for your friend, huh?” someone said behind him and Daehyun turned surprised. It was the guy from the next table. Daehyun smiled awkwardly. Was the guy here to apologize for his friends?

“Me too!” the guy smiled brightly. He had dark brown hair and as he smiled, his cute dimples were visible.

“It’s a special occasion,” Daehyun admitted.

“Your friends seem quite enthusiastic,” the guy said, looking at Soonyoung and Seungkwan, who were playing rock paper scissors and the loser got hit.

“Well, they’re…” always like this? Still kids? In their own fairy world? “They are especially happy today.”

“Oh, I didn’t want to offend them. Me and Baek are quite the merry couple ourselves. I’m Youngjae, by the way,” the boy smiled and gave Daehyun his hand.

“Oh, Daehyun,” he said, shaking his hand.

“Okay, we’re ready, who’s first?” the coffee boy appeared from the counter and Daehyun tiered his gaze off Youngjae.

“Well, it was nice to meet you,” Daehyun said, after paying and got back to his table to get his friends.

“That guy is cute,” Seungkwan pointed out, as they got out of the coffee house and into the cold autumn weather.

“Yeah, and he was with that pink haired dude over there,” Daehyun signed. Why were all the guys he liked taken? As they walked by the coffee house window, Daehyun could see by the corner of his eye Youngjae’s boyfriend checking him out. Daehyun felt his cheeks turning red and he hurried past the guy’s sight. Why was he feeling bad about it? He wasn’t the one who made the first move! Maybe he was too possessive over his boyfriend. In any case, he wasn’t even going to see them again, anyway.

######

“That guy is hot,” Baekhyun said, not taking his eyes off the man Youngjae had talked to a few minutes ago. He wasn’t Baekhyun’s taste, but he could recognize a handsome guy when he saw one.

Youngjae turned all red in the remark. “I’m going to kill you for making me go talk to him,” he complained like a baby. Baekhyun winked. “But he was totally checking you out earlier.”

“He was looking at you two making a fool of yourselves!” Junmyeon pointed out. Baekhyun awarded him by showing him his tongue. “So? It’s not like Youngjae did a crime by talking to him.”

“I looked like an idiot,” Youngjae piped.

“Maybe he doesn’t like the other guy making the first move,” Kyungsoo commented.

“Well, look who became the love expert!” Baekhyun said, resting his chin on his hand. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and gave him a nasty look. Baekhyun loved teasing him, even if that drove Junmyeon nuts.

“Like you’re the big playboy; the forever single.”

“I’m single by choice!” Baekhyun declared.

“Anyway, the point is that I have been embarrassed for life!” Youngjae cried. Baekhyun smiled and petted his head.

“Now, now. No need to be embarrassed!”

“Easy for you to say,” Youngjae replied.

But as they walked out of the coffee shop and towards their dorm, Baekhyun thought about what Kyungsoo had said. The truth was that he did flirt a lot, but he didn’t have a boyfriend. And he had hooked his friends up, except Youngjae, Junmyeon and Kyungsoo, who was out of the question. But he was alone. Well, that was about to change, one way or another.

######

“Yes, I’ll be fine.”

“Sure? I can just walk you…”

“No need. Go.”

“But, you said that you had that feeling…”

“Junmyeon! Just go!” Kyungsoo cried. He really liked Junmyeon. He was generous, kindhearted and really sweet, but sometimes he acted like an overprotective parent. Kyungsoo was almost certain that one day he will form a problem with his liver caused by the stress his friend’s caused him.

“Seriously, I can come. I don’t really have anything to do for the afternoon.”

“I thought that Sehun had arranged for you to clean the apartment,” Kyungsoo pointed out, thankfully remembering Sehun’s phone call that morning. Sehun and Junmyeon always had big arguments about the cleaning issues and economics.

“It can wait…” Junmyeon tried to say, but stopped half way. Sehun wasn’t someone you could carelessly ignore.

“I’m fine, go!”

“Okay. But call me immediately if something happens,” Junmyeon said and finally left.

Kyungsoo lifted his hoodie and headed towards his room. The sky was cloudy, but some sun rays escaped from the horizon, as the sun was setting. The cold air was hitting his bare face, making his nose freeze. And because of the cold, the streets were almost empty. Almost.

Kyungsoo could hear footsteps behind him. He was certain now that someone was following him. This wasn’t his imagination! Kyungsoo quickened his step. But it didn’t seem like the footsteps ceased to follow him. Kyungsoo almost started running. His heart quickened. Why was that person following him? What did he want?

Kyungsoo felt his cell phone heavy in his pocket. He could call Junmyeon; he wouldn’t have gone far. But what if he was in the bus and until he got there again the stranger had harmed him? Should he call the police?

Kyungsoo saw a mini market open and he rushed himself in. He didn’t need to buy anything, but this might have been his chance to escape. Kyungsoo walked around the aisles, which weren’t many, gaining annoyed looks from the part timer. Kyungsoo returned the looks and the boy vanished behind his counter. Good. He didn’t need a student making him more upset than he already was.

After Kyungsoo had made sure that some time had passed, he grabbed a cider from the refrigerator and headed to the counter.

“Is that all?” the boy asked. He really hadn’t got his lesson yet, if he was still that bold.

“Why? Should I get something else as well?” Kyungsoo snapped and put the money on the counter with a little too much force, which made the boy move a little backwards in surprise. Kyungsoo kept his face serious as he walked out of the store, even though he was smiling from the inside. That small victory had at least destructed him from that stalker.

He put the cider in his backpack and he walked to his home, being a little jumpy. But fortunately, no one was following him. Maybe he lost him. Kyungsoo reached the playground in front of his building. As it was late afternoon, it was almost empty. Which was logical, as no parent would have allowed his child out in that cold weather. Still, someone was at the swings, moving back and forth. And it wasn’t a kid.

Kyungsoo quickened his step. He felt too cold and he needed to finish a book in the microeconomics.

“Nice weather, isn’t it?” the guy of the swings called. Kyungsoo stopped. Was he talking to him? Maybe he was a crazy man who escaped the asylum. Kyungsoo gave him a quick glance. The guy was looking at him.

“I guess,” he said and started walking again. No need to encourage him any further, as he had no intention for small talk with that weirdo.

“You’re in economics, right?” the guy asked and jumped off the swing. Kyungsoo turned and found him coming his way, all smiling. Kyungsoo now recognized the guy. He didn’t know him personally, but everyone knew Kim Jongin. Jongin was the it boy. He was handsome, with dark skin complexion that accompanied well his chocolate hair. Plus, his model like features made all the girls go crazy. Therefore, he was known for being a playboy. Jongin never was with the same person for long. In other words, he was all fake smiles, flirting, partying and breaking hearts. Someone that Kyungsoo simply didn’t even care for. So, what did he want in front of his building? And why was he talking to him? Kyungsoo decided that he wasn’t curious enough to stay and talk to him, and so he put on his aggressive face.

“So?”

“I’m in veterinary,” Jongin replied, smiling.

“Okay,” Kyungsoo gave him an empty look that expressed out-front that he didn’t care a bit.

“You like animals?”

“What?”

“Animals. I love dogs.”

“And?”

“And maybe you are afraid of them.”

“I’m not. Why?”

“You know, because I’m a vet.”

“You’re not a vet yet. And I doubt you’re going to be one any time soon.” Okay, now this was getting really weird. Kyungsoo was starting getting really annoyed by him and he didn’t like the way things were getting at. What was this? Was playboy Jongin hitting on him? He didn’t have time to waste on this idiot.

“I’m getting there,” Jongin commented, not getting the hints. Maybe he needed to be more out front.

“Look, I don’t have time for this. What do you want?”

“Nothing. Just to get to know you better. You live here?”

“You don’t need to know that. And, I’m not interested. So, don’t bother me again and don’t show up here,” Kyungsoo barked and walked away, hoping that Jongin got the massage and he wouldn’t make a move on him again. Because he was so not his type and he has started to really annoy him.

######

Daehyun rushed towards the bus, which was about to leave. He barely made it, knocking madly at the closed door. The driver gave him a side look, as he checked his card at the machine and headed towards the back. He was still trying to spot an empty seat, when the bus started moving again. Daehyun lost his balance and he fell backwards on the seat next to him.

“I’m so sorry,” Deahyun cried, as he realized he had landed on someone’s lap. He shyly looked up and he almost froze. It was the guy from the coffee shop! And he was looking at him in shock. Daehyun popped up and apologized again, quickly moving to an empty seat a few rows behind.

How could this be even possible? Daehyun had been thinking about that incident in the café all afternoon and he got really mad with himself because he couldn’t forget that stupid misunderstanding! It’s not like it was anything serious, but he still felt awkward. So now he had to add this to his list of embarrassing moments. Why did it have to be that guy? Why was here too?

Daehyun took his headphones out of his pocket and plugged them to his phone, turning the volume up high. He hoped that his favorite songs would calm him or at least take his mind off what had happened. But his mind didn’t want to cooperate. It should had worked like Soonyoung had said, never meeting the guy ever again. Now, Daehyun just wished that the boy would get out before the bus reached Daehyun’s stop.

However, every time he glanced secretly over the guy’s seat, he was still there. Daehyun’s heart started racing as he started recognizing sights outside his window.  They were nearing his college and he had to get out at the next stop. And, unfortunately, Youngjae was still seating a few seats in front of him, his warm chestnut hair shinning in the light morning light.

Daehyun took a deep breath. He had no choice but to endure it. He pulled his hoodie on and increased the volume of his music, pressing the bus stop button and getting up before the bus stopped. He kept his gaze on the floor as he walked past Youngjae and stood at the closed door, waiting for the bus to get to a full stop. Why did take so long this time out of all? Daehyun couldn’t even concentrate on the song hurting his ears, as he was getting even more fixated on wondering if the boy was looking at him and texting about him to hid friends. Probably he and his pink haired boyfriend will have a laugh late that night at bed about how this awkward situation had unfolded.

Daehyun couldn’t take it anymore. He turned to press the button again, only to find Youngjae standing behind him. Daehyun turned back towards the door again that finally opened. At least he was lucky this once. Daehyun wind out of the bus and crossed the road, heading straight towards the campus. He had to try hard not to let himself start running. He didn’t need to be more ridiculous.

He had almost made it to his music building, when someone grabbed him slightly from the shoulder. And Daehyun just knew that it was Youngjae.  The boy retrieved his hand quickly off Daehyun and he avoided eye contact. So, he was feeling as awkward as him.

“Um…um, hi. I’m Youngjae from yesterday…”

“Oh, yeah, hi,” Daehyun replied.  The guy looked friendly, and gave Daehyun a warm feeling of closeness, but still, he had a boyfriend. Daehyun had better to stay clear off him, if Youngjae wanted to be more than friends.

“You go to the music department?”

“Yes,” obviously, Daehyun wanted to add, but he kept his mouth shut. No need to encourage him.

“That’s great. I wanted to get into the music department, but ended up in sociology…”

“Look, I have a piano lesson, so I really have to go. I’m sorry,” Daehyun looked at the time on his cell and he was two minutes late. He was had been failing the piano lessons and he had to take up a one o’ one with one of the most grumpy music teachers.  And being late didn’t exactly aid his bad mood.

“Oh, sorry…um, see you around then,” Youngjae smiled and waved him goodbye. Daehyun just nodded and entered the music building. But he couldn’t resist the temptation to look back at Youngjae from the glass doors. Was he being too harsh on the guy? It wasn’t like Youngjae had made a clear move on him or anything. Maybe he was just being friendly and Daehyun had misinterpreted the situation. But as he looked back, spotting Youngjae being back hugged by the pink haired boy from the coffee place, Daehyun couldn’t help but feel a little hurt, annoyed and angry at the same time. Annoyed because of Youngjae, who was displaying publicly his affection with his boyfriend, hurt for some reason he couldn’t really explain and angry because he was feeling those feelings.

                      ######

“What were you doing?” Baekhyun whispered in Youngjae’s ear, as he hung from his neck like a monkey. The boy turned all red, and it wasn’t because Baekhyun was acting all cutely and boyfriendly towards him. No, Baekhyun and Youngjae had a very close relationship that included much skinship and teasing, even in public. However, Baekhyun had never thought that he and Youngjae could be anything more than friends, and Youngjae had made it clear that he wasn’t his type for a partner. Even so, he never had gotten embarrassed because of Baekhyun’s sassiness. So, he was embarrassed because of something else. Baekhyun looked back. The blond boy from the coffee place was disappearing into the music building. So, he was a musician, interesting…

“Was that…?”

“Someone who’s not really interested in me,” Youngjae cut in and marched away. Baekhyun hoped to his side.

“Come on, Jae!” he whined. “Things will get better soon enough! So, tell me the details!”

“There’s nothing to tell. We met in the bus and we just talked a bit,” Youngjae shrank, a little sad. What was wrong with that guy? Why was he playing hard to get?

“Well, look who’s a lucky peach! We always take my car, but the day you decided to get the bus, you hook up with the handsome hot fuzz.”

“I did not hook up with anyone!” Youngjae insisted. “Where’s your car, anyway?”

So, he was trying to change the subject! Very well. Baekhyun could tell that his friend was really upset over it and he didn’t feel like pressing it any further.

“I couldn’t find any open spot at the parking lot so I parked it over…” Baekhyun had taken his time driving to uni that day, as the radio was playing his favorite song and then he got the craving for crepes. So, he couldn’t find anywhere to park when he finally arrived. Which wasn’t the end of the world. He just parked his car at the sidewalk next to the back entrance, where they were passing by at the time. It wasn’t legal, but there were other cars there as well. And it wasn’t as if any policeman will waste his time for the university area. Or at least that’s what he thought.

“Where?”  Youngjae asked, trying to spot Baekhyun’s car, but Baekhyun had iced at his spot, as he watched a police officer going through the cars and leaving tickets on their window screens. What the hell? The one and only time Baekhyun had overlooked the law, he was unlucky enough to had to pay a parking ticket! His parents would freak out when they find out. They were barely managing to send him to university and to pay his rent. Baekhyun had gotten himself a part time job as well at a shoe store to aid his economic situation. So, a parking ticket on boot wouldn’t help the situation.

“Where’re you going?” Youngjae cried, as Baekhyun sprint over to his car, crushing on is just as the policeman was approaching the vehicle.

“Wait!” Baekhyun tried to say, but he was out of breath. “Wait!” he said again, a little louder, putting a hand over his chest and supporting his weight on the car with the other. The policeman looked surprised. He was a young officer, probably a freshman, as he was working at the traffic department. He was really tall, towering over Baekhyun with a mightiness that would had made Baekhyun’s heart skip a bit, if he wasn’t in that sticky situation.

“I…I didn’t park my car here!” Baekhyun cried. The police officer looked puzzled and slightly amused.

“I know how it looks, but I haven’t parked. Not really. See, I had some books to carry for the library and they were really heavy so I had to park my car here for five minutes so I could carry them inside and I was just coming back to get it,” Baekhyun let the words flow out like a river of lies. He looked at the officer warily, trying his best to be as convincing as possible. He even patted his puppy eyes, as he watched the policeman being confused, but still holding the block with tickets in hand. From behind him, Youngjae appeared, looking even more confused. Baekhyun looked at him intensely. If he was lucky, the boy would understand.

The officer looked back at Youngjae, who turned white and googled his eyes, shucking the inside of his cheek.

“And you are?” the policeman asked. Damn, he had a deep, y voice.  But Baekhyun should focus!

“Um…a friend?” Youngjae murmured.

“He is my friend. Anyway, can you just turn a blind eye, just this once! Pretty pleaaaase!” Baekhyun cried.

“You still broke the law, though,” the officer insisted, grabbing his pen.

“No!” Baekhyun put his hand over the tickets, before the officer had the time to write down his plate. “Just think about it for a second. Is it fair for a poor student, who only had volunteered to help out the librarian, but couldn’t carry the books long enough, to pay an amount of money that could have been used to pay his monthly rent, just because there is no one strong enough like you officer to carry the books?” Baekhyun took a deep breath. He should have been a lawyer! He himself was amazed by his ability to lie so well.

“And I was half breaking the law! I just left it here for five minutes. Please! Please! I will not park it here ever again!”

“Yes, officer, please let us go, just this once!” Youngjae tried to aid in.

“I can’t let you go. But, since you like volunteering, I can make an exception and alter your punishment from fee to hours of voluntary working,” the policeman said and looked at Baekhyun satisfied. Baekhyun backed off. Well, it wasn’t so bad and he didn’t think that he would get a better deal if he continued pushing his luck any further. 

“Okay, so we will get some hours of voluntary work and we will be off the hook, right?”

“Wait! It’s not my car, why do I have to work?” Youngjae whined. Baekhyun was shocked by the betrayal. How could he!

“I guess it’s only fair for the driver to be the one who does the work,” the officer agreed. What was happening? Were these two conspiring against him?

“So, how does this work?” Baekhyun asked, trying to let his voice show how hurt he actually was.

“You’ll give me your phone number and id info and I’ll get in touch with you soon,” the officer said, taking out a small book. Then he asked Baekhyun some questions and after writing everything down, he altered to his ticket book again.

“I’ll deal with the paper work and I’ll be in touch soon.”

“Thank you, officer…?” Youngjae said.

“Park.”

“Yeah, thank you so much officer Park,” Baekhyun said sarcastically, rolling his eyes. He just hoped that the hours wouldn’t be that many, as he had exams coming up soon.

“At your service. Have a good day,” officer Park said and moved down to the other cars.

“Thank you very much!” Baekhyun snapped at Youngjae, as the climbed into the car.

“What? You parked it here. It’s not my fault.”

“It’s not my fault,” Baekhyun mimicked his friend’s voice. He was extra annoyed with him. What will officer Park make him do when he calls? And did Baekhyun want him to call?

            ######

“I didn’t know how you drink your coffee, so I’ve got you all kinds to all the types so you can choose.”

Kyungsoo looked him up and down, as Jongin was all smiles, holding about five coffees in all sizes.

“I don’t drink coffee,” Kyungsoo said and tried to get into the economics building. But Jongin kept blocking the door. What was wrong with this guy? Didn’t he take no for an answer?

“Oh, I thought that you would need one,” Jongin said, looking a little sad.

“Well, who told you to get me coffee in the first place?” Kyungsoo snapped. Maybe he wasn’t mean enough or Jongin was stupid enough not to get the massage.

“Why not? I’m only trying to be nice to my fellow classmates.”

“We are not classmates.”

“Sure we are,” Jongin laughed, something that made Kyungsoo even madder.

“How so? We aren’t studying for the same degree! No, scratch that. I’m studying, but I don’t know what you’re pretending to do, so please piss off!” Kyungsoo barked and pushed the boy out of his way, rushing inside.

“I’ll wait for you for lunch then!” Jongin yelled from behind him.

“I don’t eat lunch!” Kyungsoo yelled back, without even stopping.

“What’s wrong? Why are you screaming?” Junmyeon appeared on his side, Sehun just behind him. Kyungsoo grabbed the coffee the boy was holding and drank it one shot, ignoring the fact that it was steamy hot.

“That was my coffee,” Junmyeon tried to say, but he gave up and gave Kyungsoo his muffin as well.

“So, that’s why the rug is full of cramps!” Sehun snapped.

“I didn’t eat all of them,” Junmyeon murmured.

“But did you use a plate?”

“Sorry,” Junmyeon apologized.

“Are you two old ladies done?” Kyungsoo asked, having gobbled down the muffin already.

“You are not the one living with him!” Sehun complained.

“But I’m the one having to hear all about it afterwards, so stop nagging!”

“Thank you!” Junmyeon smiled.

“Whatever,” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. He wasn’t really annoyed with them truly. In fact, he always found their old couple fights amusing. However, that playboy Jongin had ruined his mood and he was taking it on his friends now.  What if that idiot did what he said he will and waited for him at lunchtime? How would he explain to his friends about him?

“You’re having a troubled morning?” Sehun pointed out. As his best friend, he could tell Kyungsoo mood swings.

“Something like that.”

“Did something happen yesterday?” Junmyeon asked, his eyes all round up. He was probably starting to imagine all kinds of horrible things that could have gone wrong since the time he left Kyungsoo alone.

“Nothing happened. Just some random idiot ruined my morning!”

“I know what’s that like,” Sehun gave Junmyeon a dirty look, which the later didn’t return.

“Can we go to class now?” Kyungsoo took Junmyeon’s hand and waved Sehun goodbye. These two were never going to end their long conversations if he didn’t interfere.

“Microeconomics will be the death of me,” Junmyeon complained, as they took their seat in the amphitheatre.

“That’s because you don’t pay any attention to the lecture.”

“It’s too boring!”

“Why then choosing economics, when you don’t like them?”

“My dad thought it was a good idea.”

“I can’t see why, though,” Kyungsoo was about to say, when the professor climbed the podium and the whole classroom when silent. After two hours, Kyungsoo organized his papers and he collected all the pens that had fallen on the floor, as Junmyeon stretched out. He had been sleeping for the most of the lecture and he had some sticky notes tangled in his black messy hair.

“I’ll meet you and Sehun at the cafeteria,” Kyungsoo said and rushed out of the classroom, before his friend had the time to object. He wanted to make himself disappear in order to avoid Jongin. Kyungsoo was highly annoyed by the fact that Jongin was making his life inconvenient. But he hoped that his excitement would last a day or two tops and he will lose interest soon, so Kyungsoo would finally get his peace and quiet back.

Kyungsoo hide in the toilets for a while and then slowly piped out, making sure that his stalker was nowhere to be seen. Kyungsoo wore the beanie that he stole from Junmyeon, when the boy was still dozing off and pulled his jacket high over his neck. Being a materialistic idiot, Jongin would most unluckily notice that Kyungsoo was the guy rushing out of the economics building, as he would expect him to be bare headed and to wear only his hoodie. Thankfully, Kyungsoo had kept his jacket in his bag that morning and he could use it now.

Kyungsoo didn’t meet Jongin on his way to the cafeteria, but he kept his head down and avoided the main path to the building just in case. Didn’t bother finding his friends before he served himself, but started looking for them when he arrived at the counter. He was trying to spot them, but in the end he found Junmyeon seating alone, his food untouched, playing with his phone.

“Where’s Sehun?” Kyungsoo asked, taking a seat opposite to his friend.

“He is meeting with some friends first,” Junmyeon said, not taking his eyes off the screen,

“How come?” Kyungsoo asked, picking his food. He didn’t have much time to wait. He had another class right after and then straight to work.

“You know Sehun. I waited for him for one hour yesterday after gym. And I doubt he’ll remember picking up today.”

“I thought you two joined gym together.”

“He comes two times a week. I have a program for every day.”

“Aren’t you overdoing it?”

“No, I have a program, like I said.”

“What are you two talking about?” Sehun appeared from behind Junmyeon, balancing a tray on his one hand.

“Junmyeon’s obsession with his body,” Kyungsoo commented.

“Where are your friends?” Junmyeon ignored Kyungsoo’s remark.

“They’re paying.”

“Aren’t you mister popular!” Junmyeon said and Sehun smiled.

“Are they your classmates?” Kyungsoo asked.

“No. We met at a party actually.”

“Last night?”

“No, but Minseok was there. He was the one I was talking to at the entrance.”

As Sehun continued explaining to Junmyeon what had happened at the party they went last night, the one Kyungsoo had avoided going by lying that he had to video chat with his father, Kyungsoo felt a sudden rash of panic. If he remembered correctly, one of Jongin’s friends was called Minseok. He was in the educational department and he was graduating as a teacher that year, along with his best friend, Jongdae, who was studying classical music. How these two ended up as Jongin’s friends, Kyungsoo couldn’t understand, even though they were quite popular as well. So, the big question was, what Sehun had to do with Minseok.

“Oh, there they are!” Sehun said, as, sure enough, Kim Minseok and Kim Jongdae appeared, placing their food on the table. They both smiled widely, but Sehun was the one who was all smiles. Sure enough, he was proud of himself because he managed to get himself two popular boys as friends. And they even sat with him for lunch.

Jongdae sat next to Sehun and Junmyeon, introducing himself. Kyungsoo gave him an up and down look. Jongdae had odd, yet handsome features, with his sharp cheekbones and feline smile. However, he was too loud for Kyungsoo’s taste. Baekhyun was as cheeky as Kyungsoo could handle, he didn’t need another one.

“We met yesterday, haven’t we?” Minseok said to Junmyeon, after shaking Kyungsoo’s hand and sitting next to him. Minseok was more of Kyungsoo’s type. He wasn’t as hyper and always making fun as Jongdae. On the contrary, he was quiet and shy and he seemed more mature, even though he had a loud laughter, which Kyungsoo didn’t quite fancy. And of course, he was attractive too, with big, wide eyes, full lips and apparently great body. Which made him more like Junmyeon, though the later had more manly features. Figures, Minseok’s nickname was the uni’s cutest flower boy. Though, for Kyungsoo, Junmyeon was cute too, with his big, bunny eyes and high cheekbones. It was all down to whether you’re popular or not. And Sehun was on his way on becoming the it boy himself. And his friend had the whole package, he was model like handsome and boy next door style at the same time. Just like that idiot Jongin.

“So, you all met at a party,” Kyungsoo stated, starting to feel at ease. He was afraid that Jongin will join in, but apparently, either he was still waiting for him outside the economics department, which served him well, as he needed to learn that he couldn’t have everyone that he wanted, or he wasn’t one of Sehun’s new acquaintances. Either way, Kyungsoo didn’t mind. As long as Jongin was nowhere near him.

“You know, it’s a funny story,” Jongdae said.

“Well, you know Jongin,” Minseok added and the three of them both laughed, leaving Junmyeon and Kyungsoo playing the third wheels.

“And?” Kyungsoo pressed on irritated.

“Jongin, you know him?” Minseok asked Kyungsoo.

“Of course he does, who doesn’t?” Sehun said.

“Okay,” Minseok paused a little embarrassed. “Well, we were at a party…”

“It was a friend’s birthday party,” Jongdae interrupted. “Alas, we have to study all day this year and we don’t go out anymore.”

“Anyway,” Sehun continued annoyed. He really wanted to burst about his extraordinary acquaintances, and it was a miracle that he hadn’t said anything these past few days. It must have been hard for him…

“I was invited by the birthday girl to the party and as I was just hanging, Jongin came and talked to me out of nowhere!”

“He probably wanted to hook up with you,” Kyungsoo said.

“No. He just wanted to be friends with me!”

“That’s true,” Jongin said, taking a seat right next to Kyungsoo, who couldn’t believe that he actually was so stupid to believe that he had escaped him.

“I love making new friends,” Jongin smiled warmly at Kyungsoo, who replied with an annoyed stare. Not that Jongin was discouraged.  “You and Sehun are friends?”

“Best friends!” Sehun piped in.  “We went to the same school and now we are at the same university!”

“Lucky you! When I came to Seoul, I had zero friends,” Jongin laughed. Was it his thing to laugh all the time?

“Well, that I can’t imagine,” Sehun said.

“No, it’s true,” Jongdae commented. “He was like a scared puppy trying to fit in.”

“And look of what had became of him,” Kyungsoo whispered, not that he would had mind if someone had heard him. “Anyway, I’m sorry, but I have to manage to go to the library before the next course starts.”

“Really?” Sehun asked a little disappointed. Maybe he had dreamed of introducing them to his knew popular friends. Too bad Jongin was one of them.

“I have an essay to finish,” Kyungsoo insisted and got up.

“It was nice to meet you,” Minseok smiled, thankfully before Jongin started complaining.

“Yeah, nice to meet you two too,” Kyungsoo replied, emphasizing on the ‘two’. However, the look on Jongin’s face made him rethink his reply, as he obviously thought that Kyungsoo meant that they were already close. !

Whatever, Kyungsoo thought and walked out of the cafeteria. At least he escaped Jongin.  He didn’t really need to go to the library of course, but he was really getting annoyed by Jongin and he was afraid he was going to say something about it in front of everyone. He wanted to keep Junmyeon away from it as long as possible, as he would surely overreact. On the other hand, Sehun would probably try to encourage him to get together with Jongin. And he really didn’t need Sehun ing over and over about it.

Kyungsoo fished his library card out of his bag and showed it to the girl behind the desk, who only glanced at it bored and returned to her monitor, where she probably was checking her latest facebook update. But he decided to ignore her and walk through the long corridors, full of the smell of books and time. Kyungsoo loved the library, but he particularly liked the plants section. The plant life sciences had moved to the new sector at the other side of the city, however the books were forgotten at the old library. And hardly anyone of the other departments needed a book from this section.  So the books were always in a neat order, unlike the other sections, where you could never find the book you wanted at the place it said it would be.

Kyungsoo ran his fingers over the shelves, making his way to the plant section. He already had noted the number of the book he wanted through the internet base of the library and so he had time to get it and be in time for his next class. The library was quite, as it was still lunch time and still too early for the final exams. However, he could hear the girl from the front desk giggling. Kyungsoo made note to point it out when he had her lent him the book. But for now, he took the first edition of Jeju anthology and went to the nearest desk. He plugged his earphones in his cell phone and played the playlist he had created especially for that moments he cherished, the moments he spent by himself, just him and the books full of plants and bright pictures of beautiful plants and flowers.

But today, Kyungsoo couldn’t enjoy his book as much as he wanted. He had that creepy feeling that someone was watching him again. Was he getting paranoid? Maybe that long hours of studying and working had finally gotten the best of him. He turned around spontaneously, but none was behind him. Kyungsoo scanned the place. Except from another guy on the computer, writing franticly, like he hated his keyboard, there was no one else. And Kyungsoo doubted that that guy had time to spy on him.

Hell, he really had lost his appetite for flowers for the day. And so he got up and returned the book to the shelf, only to find his precious well ordered books all mixed up! He knew that something was wrong as soon as he glanced at it, as he had learned the colors and the exact place of every book. Who had meddled with his books?! Kyungsoo went closer. It didn’t make sense.  The botanic collection had the third volume next to the ninth and the flower encyclopedia was replaced with the mountain plants and herbs. What was that person looking for? The order now was so confused! Next to the A5 was the C10 and right next to that one the O4. 1004? Angel? That was a coincidence that would had made Baekhyun smile for the day. But for Kyungsoo, it simply made him annoyed.

Kyungsoo checked his clock. He had about twenty minutes before the class started. And so he started fixing the books. Fortunately, the mess was not that big and he was able to finish up quick enough. But as he was taking out the vegetation of the Atlantic Ocean, a paper fell that was chucked between the books.  That was odd. He had recently finished that book and he was certain that there wasn’t any note there before.  Kyungsoo collected it from the flour and opened it. “You look like and angel when you read.” What the hell?

Kyungsoo now was mad. Someone had messed up with the books in order to write that cheesy note! And for whom? Who else used that section? However, Kyungsoo had the creepy thought that the note might have been put there for him.

######

Daehyun smiled at the pretty girl behind the counter, as he handed her his credit card. He was buying this semester’s books and he knew way too well by now that they would maximize his dept to the full.

“Only two?” Soonyoung murmured. He had tagged along to help him carry them to his apartment, but he was all complains today. But he was the one to speak, as he had only one or two tops to buy and they cost the minimum.

“I can study the rest in the library,” Daehyun commented patiently.

“Wouldn’t that be tiring?” Soonyoung continued, taking the bags with the books the girl handed to them.

“It will. But I can’t afford more. Anyway, do you want a tea latte?”

“Yes, please!” Soonyoung smiled, extending his happiness to his eyes and Daehyun knew that he could never stay mad to that cutie pie.

“Shall I call Seungkwan?”

“Sure,” Daehyun took the bags off the boy, as he took his phone off and walked outside the shop to speak. Daehyun didn’t run after him. Soonyoung could take his time on the phone and Daehyun had no intention to wait for him outside in the cold. So he just browsed lazily over the books and magazines in the shop. He tried to stay away from the food section, as he was already a little hungry and he didn’t need to increase his need.

“Do you have the book, “The Sociological Imagination” ?”

“Let me check on the computer.”

Daehyun frowned. He knew that voice. Did he know anyone from the social studies? He tore his eyes from the book he was holding and he cursed his luck. It was Youngjae and his boyfriend. Daehyun hid behind the salves quickly. Had they seen him? Should he go and say hello, only to show Youngjae that he knew about his lover? No, he couldn’t. Daehyun recalled that the first time they met, the pink haired guy was with him. Now Daehyun started to doubt his own self. Had he jumped into assumptions and he had thought that Youngjae was flirting with him when he was only being friendly? Come to think about it, Youngjae hadn’t made a clear move on him. So Daehyun was being ridiculous. But he could still make things right.

He piped over the books. The pink haired guy was hanging over Youngjae’s arm, rubbing himself on him like a kitten. Okay, no big deal. Daehyun got out of his hiding spot and approached them. Youngjae spotted him first. He actually looked surprised.

“Hello,” Daehyun said, ignoring the little voice in his head that kept telling him that he should had stayed behind the books.

“Well, hello there,” Youngjae’s friend sided his head and smiled. Youngjae smiled as well.

“You’re here for books?” he asked. Daehyun raised his hands and showed them the bags.

“Oh. You’ve already got them.”

“So, why are you still here?” the pink haired guy asked.

“I’m waiting for my friend,” Daehyun nodded towards Soonyoung, who was walking up and down the sidewalk, dancing to a rhythm only he could hear.

“Is he your boyfriend?” Youngjae’s friend asked.

“No.” Daehyun tried to hide a smile. The guy was really nosy.

“Do you have a boyfriend?”

“Baekhyun!” Youngjae was all red.

“What? A handsome guy like him…oh, wait! Maybe you have a girlfriend.”

“I am single,” Daehyun murmured. For some reason, it made him feel bad that he was admitting it.

“That’s perfect! Me too!”

Daehyun’s eyes widened. So he wasn’t Youngjae’s boyfriend? Apparently, Daehyun was actually mistaken.

“Baekhyun, stop it! I’m sorry,” Youngjae said to Daehyun, and he looked like he was ready to die from embarrassment.

“It’s okay, I guess,” Daehyun said. He was only aiming to comfort Youngjae, as he looked miserable, but he apparently only encouraged Baekhyun.

“Sweet! Would you buy me a coffee sometime then?”

“I…” Daehyun looked at Youngjae, whose eyes had gone wide. Baekhyun wasn’t exactly his type, but he couldn’t be sure if he didn’t get to know the guy. Even so, he didn’t plan on starting to date someone at the moment.

“He would love to!” Soonyoung answered for him. Daehyun turned and gave his friend a ‘what are you doing’ look. Which didn’t discourage the boy.

“What? It’s just a coffee, right?” he asked Baekhyun, who nodded happily.

“It’s a date then! How about tomorrow morning at the coffee place just around the corner from the university?”

“He’s free tomorrow. Is nine okay?”

“Nine is fine?”

“Soonyoung!” Daehyun cried.

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure he’ll be there,” Soonyoung said, staring at Daehyun, smiling. Did he just arrange Daehyun a blind date?

“I…” Daehyun tried to say, but Soonyoung started pulling him away.

“Seungkwan would be waiting for us!” he said. “Nice to meet you!”

“It was nice to meet you too!” Baekhyun yelled, before they left the shop. But the last thing Daehyun saw was Youngjae’s face. He looked confused. But at the same time, he looked hurt.

######

“What was that!” Youngjae asked for the millionth time.

“What? You said you weren’t interested and his hot,” Baekhyun sang. He wasn’t really attracted to him, but Kyungsoo’s comment that he was forever single had actually hurt. It was a desperate move, but at least he was trying. And he promised himself that he would not pressure the things to work things out, if they weren’t meant to be.

“So?”

“So? You owe me big time.”

“Why?”

“Because you didn’t help me out with that cop!”

“I thought I was making you a favor. That guy is very charming and I thought you liked him.”

“I would have, but he is making me work extra hours and that is not very charming. Besides, now I might have a boyfriend to help me out,” Baekhyun winked and Youngjae looked a little sick. Did Youngjae actually like the guy? No, he knew his friend very well. He would know if he liked Daehyun. And of course he would never have stolen a guy from Youngjae.

“Whatever. Just don’t do anything you’ll regret.”

“I won’t, I won’t,” Baekhyun said and then felt his pocket vibrating.

“Oops, excuse me,” he told Youngjae and looked at the number on his phone’s screen. It was an unknown number. Not that Baekhyun ever ignored a number he didn’t know.

“Hello?”

“Hello? Is this Byun Baekhyun’s phone?” a deep, manly voice asked from the other side of the line.

“Yes, who’s asking?”

“This is Officer Park.”

. He shouldn’t have picked it up after all.

“Oh, hello officer Park. I didn’t think you would have been that quick!”

“A position has opened.”

“Sweet,” Baekhyun murmured, with fake enthusiasm.

“It’s working at the homeless centre. I’ll text you the address and the hourly schedule. Is afternoon working for you?”

“I have Sunday and Tuesday open,” Baekhyun was about to cry. These two were his days off, and now he had to work during them as well.

“Okay, I’ll arrange it so you will come at those days then,” officer Park replied, unaware that Baekhyun was paying him all kinds of ugly compliments from the inside.

“And how long will that take?”

“Excuse me?”

“I mean, how long would I have to work in order to fulfill my punishment?”

“Oh, about a month, if you don’t skip your duty days,” officer Park replied, sounding a little hurt. He was a young officer, still wet behind the ears and he probably still believed that the world was a happy place where everyone would be willing to follow the law or pay the price for their misbehavior. Well, he had many disappointments to face!

“Okay, well, then if that’s it all, you can text me the details and I’ll be there next Sunday.”

“All right. Um, thank you for your time.”

“Thank you,” Baekhyun said and hang up.

“Who was that?” Youngjae asked, popping from behind him. He was holding the book he had just bought, that looked very heavy. Damn, he was supposed to read it as well. He and Youngjae had made a deal to buy a book each and then lend it to one another so that they wouldn’t have to spend all their money on books.

“The charming officer,” Baekhyun replied, still eying the book.

“And?”

“And, he wants me to work on my days off!” Baekhyun snapped and took off, having Youngjae running after him.

######

Why Kyungsoo hadn’t thrown away that note? Why had he tacked it back into the book and left? Maybe because he thought that it was meant for someone else and he didn’t want to mess things up. No, that wasn’t it. He didn’t care for stupid college romance and he was really mad to that person who had changed the order of his books. They better find another love nest to occupy and let the plant section alone for people who would actually appreciate it and not turn it into a cheap love motel.

Maybe he had a secret hope that the note was meant for him. In that case, it was the wisest move to leave it there. Then the person who sent it would know that he was not interested and he or she would stop. Still, maybe they won’t get the message and they would think that he hadn’t read it yet and keep meddling with the books till he responded.

Still he didn’t want to go throw it away. And he had more important things to deal with. Like his obnoxious boss, who wanted him to work for an extra hour for free! Like hell! Still, he couldn’t do much about it, as he needed the job and it would be a load more work to go around searching for a new one. So, he kept his mouth shut, for now, and he wore his apron, ready to start taking orders. The coffee place was his midweek afternoon job and it was good enough to pay his rent and have enough time to study.

However, he didn’t really enjoy that kind of job. He had to smile all the time, and be polite, even to the most intolerable costumers. Kyungsoo’s dream job was to work in a bank, but not just work there, but actually become a manager of a bank. Then he wouldn’t have to bend over and stay silent to everyone who thought that because he was working in a coffee shop, he was his slave.

“An Americano to go,” the next costumer said and Kyungsoo almost jumped. He was lost in his thoughts, where he was scolding a newbie for not bringing his coffee quick enough.

“Do you need anything else…” he replied automatically, till he saw the face of his costumer. Jongin!

“No, just the coffee,” Jongin replied smiling brightly. Okay, that was it. This had gone way too far and Kyungsoo needed to put a stop to it. He was preparing to unleash his range on the chocolate boy, when he spotted his boss eyeing him. Damn it!

Kyungsoo forced his mouth to smile, a smile that never reached his eyes, and typed the receipt.

“We missed you at lunch today,” Jongin went on.

You piggy faced playboy, cut the bull and get off my sight!

“Sorry,” Kyungsoo replied, handing Jongin the receipt.

“We went to a karaoke bar afterwards.”

Do I look like I care?

“Skipping school?” Kyungsoo said, filling up the cup with coffee. Just a few minutes and Jongin would have to leave.

“Well, Minseok had to go back and study, but Jongdae came along.”

Good for him.

“Sounds like you had a great time.”

“It was good, but it would have been great if you were there too,” Jongin said, taking the coffee.

Lucky for you I wasn’t, because you wouldn’t have been able to smile now.

“I don’t really like karaoke.”

“Really? Sehun said you have a great voice!”

He’s dead.

“I don’t like the others singing though.”

“So, what do you like?”

You to leave!

“Um, other costumers are waiting so, thank you for coming,” Kyungsoo snapped and looked over Jongin’s shoulder to the girl who was waiting in the line and smiled brightly at her.

“Oh, okay, you’re right!” Jongin started laughing. That guy was simply idiotic happy.

“I’m sorry,” Jongin smiled at the girl behind him and she turned all pink. Of course she would fall for his charms.

“I’ll see you after work then,” Jongin said, taking a sip of his coffee, looking straight at Kyungsoo’s eyes. And Kyungsoo felt something he had never felt before. Something that he could never imagine he would have. The urging feeling to commit murder.

######

“Dead men don’t speak,” Daehyun said, still ignoring Soonyoung.

“But I promised!”

“You shouldn’t have.”

“I did it for you! It’s time for you to stop being single.”

“And what makes you think I need a match maker?”

“Come on Dae! Pleaz!” Soonyoung cried, pulling him from the sleeve.

“No!”

“But that guy would be waiting! And he’s totally cute, your style!”

“You think I like cute?”

“Yes!”

“Would you stop it!” Seungkwan yelled. “Soonyoung shouldn’t have done what he did, but what is done is done.  So, Daehyun, stop being a baby and just go and meet the guy. If you don’t like him, just tell him so! It’s just a coffee after all.”

“Don’t in!” Daehyun warned Seungkwan, who just piped his tongue out for him. That sassy ! But he was right. He couldn’t just let Baekhyun be waiting for him in the coffee place.

“I’ll go only to tell him that I’m not interested.”

“Yeah! Thank you!” Soonyoung exclaimed.

“I’m not doing this for you! I just don’t want to stand Baekhyun up.”

“Sure, sure,” the boy said, smiling. Daehyun was so mad at him, he couldn’t even sleep that night. How could he?! Daehyun knew that his friend was outgoing and a little shameless, but still he believed that he would have been sensitive towards his friend’s personal life.

Daehyun could see the hot pink hair of Baekhyun’s from the window of the coffee place. The streets were starting to get dressed Christmassy, with snowy trees packed with red decorations and sparkly lights. Baekhyun was himself wearing a deep green fuzzy blouse over a white shirt. He looked like he was really enjoying the music he was listening to through his phone, and Daehyun heard him sing along quietly to the song. So, they had some things in common, though Daehyun always felt really embarrassed when he drifted off and let himself sing out loud. However, Baekhyun didn’t seem like the kind of guy who would mind being publicly exposed.

The pink haired boy gave Daehyun a bright smile as soon as he spotted him.

“You actually came! I should buy your friend lunch now,” Baekhyun said, as Daehyun took a sit across of him.

“I couldn’t have you waiting for me. In any case, I didn’t have your phone number if I needed to cancel.”

“Well, if you play your cards right, you may have it.”

Wow, Baekhyun was really outgoing. Unlike his friend, who seemed more introvert. Now, why did Daehyun kept thinking of Youngjae, when he was on a date with his friend?

“What if I’m not a player?” Daehyun said, looking into the menu.

“That’s even better!”

“What are you going to have?”

######

If Baekhyun should have been honest with himself, he didn’t feel the sparks. He really, really wanted to feel swept off his feet and butterflies all over his stomach. But he didn’t. Sure, Daehyun was extremely hot, with perfect full lips, thin face and round chin and his dark blond hair fitted perfectly with his sun kissed skin. And on top of that, he was a smooth talker and his personality suited Baekhyun’s playful character perfectly.

So, where was the instant attraction? Junmyeon would say that love would grow gradually and he might have to go on a date or two with the guy before he made the decision that should finish things. And he would be right. Baekhyun wished for the love on first sight, but maybe this was the deep romance. That’s why he arranged a second date with Daehyun, this time at the movies. It wasn’t like it was a big deal; they haven’t even touched hands yet at date number one. It actually felt more like a friends’ date, but maybe second date would be more successful.

Baekhyun was thinking of all the things Daehyun and him would do when they fell in love. Was Baekhyun’s place big enough for both of them? Maybe Daehyun’s was more suitable for a couple. Or maybe he was rich! Not charity fairy Junmyeon rich, but prince level rich, who will spoil and cherish Baekhyun, his one and true love.

He probably was smiling like an idiot, because people were pausing and looking at him with odd expressions. What? They hadn’t seen a boy ready to be in love before? And in any case, this wasn’t his neighborhood. It was actually one of the places that Baekhyun had in his to-avoid list. It was dirty and people were fighting in the streets, and he got the disturbing feeling that a guy with a gun might pop up out of the next corner in any minute. If that happened, Baekhyun swore to kill officer Park for making him come to this god forsaken place.

Baekhyun kept his head down and walked almost glowed on the wall, avoiding everyone who passed by him. He could almost hear Kyungsoo pointing out that he was a racist stereotype freak who thought that just because someone was dressed with rags, it also meant that he was a gangster set to harm him. But Baekhyun couldn’t rationalize his fear just yet. He just needed to get to the address officer Park had texted him. Maybe the policeman would see how scared he was and let him off the hook for good.

The place they had set a meeting was almost as bad as the neighborhood. At least, it wasn’t ready to crumble down like a house of cards. Baekhyun checked the addressed twice before entering. He didn’t want to go into the wrong building and run into something like a drug exchange. Fortunately, the building was better from the inside. The hallways were clean and something like food was covering the air everywhere. Baekhyun walked slowly down the hall and into an empty room that looked like his college cafeteria, with rows of tables and chairs and a buffet on the one side. However, unlike the college cafeteria that was always busy, this one was completely empty.

“Hello? Officer Park?” Baekhyun called out, his voice echoing through the empty room.

“Mister Byun, you’re here,” Officer Park’s voice came from behind Baekhyun, who almost screamed in surprise. This place had seriously freaked him out. And he was even more surprised when he saw officer Park not in his police suit, but in a chef’s outfit.

“Um, just call me Baekhyun. What is this place?”

“This is a restaurant for the homeless. We prepare meals for the less fortunate and serve them every midday and evening. But I thought you’ll rather work during the day.”

“Thank you officer,” Baekhyun replied, following him down a staircase and into a basement, where some ladies were working over steamy pots.

“Ladies, this is Baekhyun. He’s going to help us out from now on.”

“Hello,” Baekhyun greeted them, feeling all eyes on him.

“Well, we don’t expect you to cook, but you can help out with the rice and the servings, as well as with the cleaning.”

“Swell.”

“What?”

“Oh, nothing. I wanted to sneeze but I held it back,” Baekhyun lied. He didn’t want to get into officer’s bad side so soon.

“Be careful, darling,” one of the ladies said. “A young, handsome man like you should stay healthy.”

“I’ll try to,” Baekhyun smiled. If he patted his eyes, he could make himself the baby of this small family and have his own way. Although he wouldn’t risk flirting with the officer. He’s the police after all and he didn’t need any official trouble. Plus, he didn’t think he was his type after all.

“He’s quite the charmer this one, Chanie,” another lady said as the other chuckled.

“I just hope I’ll be useful.”

“You’ll be. Any help, as small as it is, is most welcomed,” Officer Park said.

“I’ll do my best then,” Baekhyun replied and smiled brightly.

######

Studying during work was a challenge, but Kyungsoo had almost perfected the art of it. Though his boss wouldn’t have been that happy about it. Whatever. Working part time in a mini market wasn’t his ideal job either, but it had a flexible schedule and it was mostly quite. Most of the times. Kyungsoo had accounted some weird situations, like underage students  pursuing  soju and some petty thefts. But all in all he wasn’t complaining.

Well, until now, when the door ring sang and Kyungsoo took a glance at the new costumer who entered. Jongin. Not again! Fortunately, he hadn’t shown up after work the other day, but Kyungsoo had called Junmyeon just in case. The boy was surprised that he wanted to meet him for movie night out of the blue, because Kyungsoo preferred to watch the movies alone. He always cherished sitting in dark room, not having someone to hold his hand or make him buy popcorn or making fun of him for crying because the movie had gotten too emotional (that was mostly Sehun, who couldn’t even shed a tear even at the most emotional situations). Kyungsoo liked to call himself independent, not needing anyone in order to have a good time. Though Baekhyun and Youngjae had made fun of him quite a lot for his habits. And thus it was a bit of a shock for Junmyeon, but he seemed over the moon that Kyungsoo had invited him, as he smiled all the time they were together, like a father finally being accepted by his son. So, Kyungsoo was making Junmyeon happy and protected himself from Jongin.

So, Kyungsoo’s free, happy time was over. Kyungsoo kept his eyes on his book, but secretly picked at the security camera, watching Jongin strolling up and down the aisles of the mini market, looking at the products and the prices, clearly not wanting to buy anything but taking his time deciding. If it was anyone else, Kyungsoo would have thought that he was one of those customers who came in for the heat and spent nearly an hour walking the corridors, before ending up buying just a package of chew gum. But Jongin’s motives were clearly not to get warm.

Jongin walked the mini market about three times, before heading to the counter. He was wearing a heavy black jacket today, with a dark red blouse and grey gloves. 

“Is this all?” Kyungsoo asked, taking the two packages of ramen and two banana milks.

“No, that’s it,” Jongin replied, running his hand over his chestnut hair.

“It will be six dollars,” Kyungsoo said and took the money off Jongin, who quietly went back to the machines and started preparing the ramen. Kyungsoo bit his lower lip. Could Jongin eat the two of them all by himself? Or…?

Kyungsoo shed the thought away. He was off in ten minutes, so he couldn’t worry about Jongin. And speaking of which, the girl who was to replace Kyungsoo came in, her school uniform all messed up and wrinkled.

“Am I late?” she asked, getting her uniform on. Kyungsoo had made it clear from the start to her that he wouldn’t tolerate any delays, as his time was precious and he didn’t want to cover her swift too. And so, the girl was a bit frightened of him, but that served him well.

“Just in time,” Kyungsoo said, starting to fix his bag. As he got his coat on, he looked at Jongin, who was sitting by the door; too close to the door. Kyungsoo took his bag and headed off the door. The cold air had hit his face, when a firm hand grabbed him and shoot him back in. Kyungsoo lost his balance and let himself been shoved on the seat next to Jongin, who smiled and placed the other package of ramen in front of Kyungsoo with his other hand. The other one was still on Kyungsoo’s back, holding him down.

“Do you want to die?” Kyungsoo snapped.

“No, just to have lunch with you.”

“I don’t want to have lunch with you.”

“Why? You don’t like ramen?”

“No.”

“That’s a lie. Everyone likes ramen.”

“Like everyone likes you.”

Jongin started to laugh really loudly. “I do try to be nice to everyone.”

“Why?”

“I don’t want to be rude.”

“No, I mean why me?”

“Excuse me?”

“Why are you harassing me?” Kyungsoo burst out. He had enough of it.

“I like you.”

“What?  How do you know? You like a new person every day.”

“I do not.”

“Seriously, just admit it. You are the university’s playboy after all.”

“I know that that’s what they say, but it is really a rumor.”

Now it was Kyungsoo’s turn to laugh.

“Rumor? A rumor that you have slept with half the students of the school?”

“Yes. I haven’t slept with so many people. In fact, you’ll be surprised of how many…”

“I really don’t care about your life. I just want you to leave me alone.”

“You don’t believe me, do you?”

“Clearly.”

“It’s because you think that I’m a Casanova who flirts with everyone. I get it. I wouldn’t have trusted me either. But, the thing is that I am not a playboy.”

“You are sticking with that? Fine. I am going to leave.”

“No, wait, just…”

“What?”

“Just have ramen with me. And I won’t bother you again, since you don’t want me to.”

“What kind of offer is that? Just leave me alone!”

“Come on, what harm is there to have lunch with me?”

Kyungsoo just stared at him. He was so mad he was trampling, but if he didn’t give in, Jongin would never stop stalking him. So Kyungsoo set back down with a thud and opened the container. The hot steam hit his face and made his cheeks burn, but he didn’t move back. He just needed to eat quickly and leave. Jongin said that that was all he wanted. Though Kyungsoo still doubted that just having lunch with him would prevent him from showing up in front of him again. Except if he actually thought that Kyungsoo would fell madly in love with him over a lunch and he would want to see him again. Well, that was never happening.

“Do you need anything else with it?” Jongin offered and Kyungsoo nodded negative, his mouth stuffed with noodles. His tongue was burning, but he pushed himself to keep eating.

“Slow down,” Jongin laughed. “I’m not going to eat you if you stay a minute or two more. I promise.”

Kyungsoo swallowed hard and took a breath. “I have afternoon classes that I need to attend to. I take all of them, you know.”

“Sure. But if you eat that fast, you’re going to get sick and not be able to go to the classes.”

“I’m fine.”

“Okay, okay. By the way, I’m sorry that I didn’t buy you something better.”

“Ramen is just fine.”

 

 

“I figured. Though I would have preferred chicken.”

“Like I said, ramen is fine.”

“Man of few words. Do you work elsewhere, other than the coffee shop and here?”

“Why? Do you want to stalk me there too?”

“No,” Jongin said and laughed again and Kyungsoo wondered if he ever got offended. The only thing that seemed to bother him till now was the fact that he was a playboy. Maybe that was because the guy was living in his delusions and Kyungsoo had touched a nerve there, threatening to break Jongin’s perfect round bubble.

“I work at the …”

“You work?”

“Is it that hard to believe?”

“Yes, actually.”

“You really have the worst idea about me.”

“Are we done?” Kyungsoo ignored his comment and pointed at the empty ramen boxes. To be fair, Jongin looked a little hurt, but nodded and got up with Kyungsoo.

“Then, I guess I won’t be seeing you again,” Kyungsoo said and turned to leave.

“Wait,” Jongin urged, and Kyungsoo signed. It was too good to be true anyway.

“Just take this with you,” Jongin said and gave him the banana milk. “I promised I won’t bother you again, didn’t I?”

And for the very first time, as Kyungsoo headed towards the bus stop, he realized that he didn’t want to kill Jongin anymore.

######

“I am so, so sorry,” Seungkwan said over the phone.

“What happened?” Daehyun asked. He was in front of the manga club he attended and it was new members’ day.  Daehyun was looking forward to it because he was always the only one of his friends that attended manga clubs and he was very excited when Seungkwan had expressed the hope to join too.

“My grandma is sick and I have to go to back to Jeju,” Seungkwan said.

“When are you leaving?”

“Today afternoon.”

“Do you need me to go to the airport with you?”

“No, no that’s fine, thanks.”

“Are you sure? I’ll take you there and then…”

“No, don’t worry about it. I’m so sorry that I can’t make it today. Can I reschedule or something?”

“I’ll see what I can do,” Daehyun answered and went inside. He wasn’t that familiar with the leader of the manga club, but he was certain that he could get Seungkwan in without him being present. After all, it wasn’t like it was a big club or something.

Daehyun looked around the room, which was filled with boys and girls, mainly younger than him, along with older members that sat on the sofas and desks and read. Each member had a monthly fee to pay, that enabled the club to buy the latest manga that everyone could read as long as they didn’t take them out of the club’s premises. There were other activities, like gatherings at manga cons, or trips to meet and greets, but Daehyun was mainly interested in the manga reading. Well, today, he’s main focus, however, was to find the club’s leader.

Daehyun went around the room twice, smiling back at the new members, who looked too enthusiastic. Well, the more the merrier.

“Daehyun?” someone called his name.

“Huh?” Daehyun turned, hoping that the leader had found him eventually, as he had asked around for him some other members already.

“You are a member here?” Youngjae put the manga he was holding back in the pile and walked towards him. What was he doing here?

“I’m an old member. Are you enrolling?”

“Yes. I heard of this club from a new student and I had to check it out.”

“Isn’t Baekhyun with you?” Daehyun asked, and he immediately regretted it. Why had he asked about Baekhyun?

“Baek is not that into manga. He’s more of a gamer.”

“Oh, I see.”

Daehyun didn’t really realize when they moved into the sitting area, or when they started talking about the new upcoming manga series of their favorite artist, but Deahyun only came back to reality when the club’s leader got him by the shoulder.

“Daehyun, we’re closing,” he said and Daehyun looked around. The room was almost empty, and the windows had a hazy black on them. “We’re still good for tomorrow, right?”

“What’s tomorrow?” Youngjae asked.

“Oh, some of the old members have volunteered to clean up the club before the official meeting,” the leader explained. He was a chubby guy, with glasses and a weird hair cut.

“Isn’t tomorrow your date with Baek?” Youngjae asked, and Daehyun turned all red. It wasn’t that he was embarrassed of their leader, but still he would have preferred that he didn’t know his business. Plus, he still felt a little awkward talking about Baekhyun with Youngjae.

“I … I’ve forgot,” Daehyun admitted. He had volunteered before his date with Baekhyun and he had totally forgotten about it when he agreed to watch a movie with him.

“Don’t worry,” Youngjae said and then turned to the leader. “Can’t I come instead?”

“No, it’s fine. I’ll tell Baekhyun to change the time or do it another day…”

“No, really. I’m free tomorrow and Baekhyun is really looking forward to it.”

“I’m fine with it,” the leader said, who didn’t really look interested and he just wanted to settle things quickly and leave.

“Okay then, same time as today?”

“Yes.”

“Wait. I have something to discuss with you about a friend who couldn’t make it today,” Daehyun urged.

“Just send me an email about his info and I’ll take a look.”

“He’ll get in, right? I mean, he is a really dedicated reader.”

“Like I said, I’ll see into it. Now can we please leave?”

Daehyun walked out with Youngjae and let the leader lock up the club.

“I need to take the bus,” Youngjae said, pointing at the bus station a block away.

“I’m taking the sub,” Daehyun admitted.

“I guess we should say goodnight then.”

“Oh, okay. Um, thank you for tomorrow.”

“No problem. Like I said, I’m doing this for Baekhyun as well. Just make sure you two to have a great time tomorrow, okay?”

“I’ll try,” Daehyun said and left for the sub, realizing that he was extra hungry. But when he called Soonyoung to meet him at the restaurant near their dorm, Daehyun decided to keep Youngjae’s present at the club and the afternoon they spent together a secret for now.

######

“It was no need for you to drive me home,” Baekhyun said, as Officer Park pulled over to Baekhyun’s place. If he could admit it to himself, he was a little embarrassed of his house. He was living on the terrace of an old building, and the neighborhood had lots and lots of stairs, but it was affordable enough for him and it was close to the university, even though the parking was a problem.

Officer Park looked up, up the long stairs and Baekhyun felt his cheeks hot. Why was he nervous of what the policeman would think?

“No problem. It is on my way anyway,” the officer said and smiled, showing off his cute dimple.

“Still, it was nice of you,” Baekhyun commented and opened the door.

“You worked hard today. We truly appreciated your help.”

“Oh, I didn’t do anything really,” Baekhyun blushed. Back there, Baekhyun had done everything that the ladies had given him, but Officer Park was the one who did everything. And as soon as the people started storming in, filling the room in no time, Baekhyun had been a little frightened. Some of the homeless looked too scary, like they would attack him in no time. Baekhyun was behind the buffet and he was trying to serve the rice as quickly as possible, while keeping an eye on them.  But as soon as Officer Park stepped out of the kitchen, carrying a fresh bunch of rice, everyone started chatting and smiling at him. They actually were very friendly at him, and he himself was asking them if they needed anything and how they are coping. And, to Baekhyun’s surprise, he actually sounded like he was interested in what they wanted to tell him, as, after the food was delivered and everyone had their serves, he walked by each and every table and kept talking to them. So, now Baekhyun felt really guilty that he was feeling so threatened by them, like a snob high class student who believed that the world was ruled by his parents’ money.

“Sure you did. Believe it or not, but we don’t get that many volunteers to help out with the homeless shelter,” Officer Park smiled, and Baekhyun kept silent, because he was actually one of those.

“Um, thank you again Officer Park.”

“Oh, please, call me Chanyeol. I’m off duty now, in any case,” the policeman said and waved Baekhyun goodbye. Baekhyun smiled back and started climbing the stairs. He was confused. It felt good to help out and it was actually rewarding, even though he used to believe that his voluntary work would be tiring and burdensome. And Officer Park, Chanyeol, was a very cool guy. Was he single? No! Baekhyun shouldn’t think like that. He was with Daehyun now. Besides, he had to prepare for his date tomorrow. He couldn’t appear all tired and worn out. And he hadn’t decided what to wear yet. But one thing was for sure; he would wear something nicer the next time he went to the homeless shelter. This time, he was expecting to do lots of labor, so he wore an old sweater and his dirty jeans. So, he had to wear something better, but comfortable as well. What would Chanyeol think if he went to work like that. Baekhyun would appear as if he didn’t care or that he thought of them like they didn’t matter. And he couldn’t have them thinking like that, could he?

######

Kyungsoo still felt like someone was following him. He had that strange feeling that morning again. At first, he thought that it was Jongin again. But it was probably too early for the playboy, and he did have promised to stay away and leave Kyungsoo alone. Plus, when he checked, he didn’t spot Jongin anywhere. Still, it felt weird.

At lunch time, Sehun had brought Minseok and Jongdae with him. But they said that Jongin preferred not to join them.

“He didn’t give us a good explanation though,” Sehun complained, but Kyungsoo knew that Jongin was sticking with his promise. Maybe he wasn’t all bad after all.

“Maybe he is busy. Call him later and check up on him,” Junmyeon said.

“It’s unusual for him to stay out of a hangout, but maybe he started studying earlier this semester,” Jongdae suggested.

“It doesn’t look like he cares much about studying,” Kyungsoo commented.

“He tries hard if he puts his mind into it, but he doesn’t really like to study,” Minseok answered. “But he’s the nicest guy there is.”

“He seems like a good guy,” Junmyeon said. Everyone seemed good to Junmyeon. Kyungsoo made sure that he knew that.

“Don’t you have to go to the library or something?” Sehun snapped, after Kyungsoo’s remark. The later gave him a long stare, while Jongdae burst into laughter. Kyungsoo made up his mind that Jongdae was simply annoying. But he did get up.

“Now, you don’t have to go. Sehun was just kidding,” Junmyeon rushed to say, his eyes all wide already. Normally, Kyungsoo would have ignored Sehun. He knew that the younger boy had a sassy character and he wasn’t to be taken seriously all the time. But Kyungsoo really wanted to isolate himself again. The morning feeling of being watched had shook him up and he needed the tranquility his books were able to provide him.

“Don’t call me; I’ll call you,” he warned Junmyeon and then looked over to Sehun, who nodded, showing him that he understood his duty to keep Junmyeon at bay.

As soon as he entered the library, Kyungsoo felt the feeling of being watched again. Maybe the scent of the books would calm him down. And so, he let himself get lost into the colorful pictures and drawings, till he felt the smooth vibration of his cell phone in his pocket. Kyungsoo always used an alarm clock, just in case he lost track of time and forgot that he had a class to attend.

As he reached to turn the alarm off, he felt a folded paper sticking out of his pocket. Did he forget a receipt again? Kyungsoo collected all the receipts, in order to keep track with his spending, but he didn’t remember buying anything recently, not wearing that jacket anyway.

Kyungsoo took it out and unfolded it, heading towards the plant section to leave his book. And to his surprise, it was that note he had found in the books last time. And to his even bigger surprise, the books were messed up again! Kyungsoo didn’t have time to fix them up though. He stashed the book he was holding to the place that he recalled it being before, and was about to storm away, he spotted a book that it shouldn’t be there, among the mess. Now, whoever was messing with the books was just being disrespectful! Kyungsoo grabbed the alien book and turned it over. The sound of your heart, an anthology of poems said the title. Were they trying to make him angry? How stupid can someone be to mix up the plant section with the poetry section?

“The plant section is a mess!” Kyungsoo barked to the girl behind the desk. Instead of surfing the internet and building a digital social status to fill in for her nonist real one, she could actually do a productive chore. “And this one was among them. Please see into it,” he added, throwing the poem book on the desk.

The girl looked at him startled. “Do you want to take this book?” she muttered.

“No! I want you to put it back where it belongs!” Kyungsoo snapped, gaining the annoyed looks by the other students who were studying. Well, it wasn’t really his fault. The girl was simply unsuitable for her position.

“But…” she muffled, taking the book and looking in it. “But, there’s a note in it.”

“What?”

“A note,” she repeated, giving the book back to him. Sure enough, a sticky note was placed on the second page.

It’s my favorite book. You should give it a try. Maybe you’ll get a glimpse of how it feels every time I see you.

Kyungsoo felt his cheeks turning red, and not from anger. He snatched the note off the book and gave it back.

“What makes you think that it is intended for me?” he said, glaring at her and walked out of the library, the new note a ball in his fist.

######

Daehyun felt still dizzy from the 3D action movie he had picked to watch with Baekhyun for their date. They met at the theater as planned and Daehyun had been prepared for a romantic comedy. But Baekhyun had insisted that he would prefer an action film. Though now, he didn’t seem that he actually had enjoyed it. However Daehyun pretended not to notice it.

“That was nice, wasn’t it?” he asked, stretching his arms out. He had been practicing piano all day and he felt his fingers sour and his arms like wood. But he was determent to pass that class no matter what.

“Yeah,” Baekhyun agreed, half hearted.

“Let’s watch a drama next time,” Daehyun proposed. He felt a little guilty that he didn’t press on watching something more light, that clearly Baekhyun could enjoy as well. Probably if he hinted for another date, maybe Baekhyun would get all excited again.

“Drama? I thought you liked the action movies with the guns and all.”

“I like dramas as well. Plus, it’s better to mix them up a little, or you get bored.” To that Baekhyun smiled a wide rectangle smile and crossed his arm around Daehyun’s, leaning his head on his shoulder.

“You’re so my type!” he said, rubbing his cheek on him. Daehyun smiled and tried not to pull away.

“Come on now! People are starring at as!”

“So?” Baekhyun asked, without releasing him.

“So, aren’t you feeling a little awkward?”

“No, I’m fine. Do you feel a little awkward?”

Daehyun wanted to say yes. He wasn’t fond of public displays of affection in general. But he couldn’t say that to Baekhyun. What would the other guy think of him?

“No, I don’t mind,” Daehyun murmured and let Baekhyun pull him through the crowd.

######

Baekhyun knew he was overplaying it. He didn’t feel like he wanted to act all cute and lovey dovey with Daehyun, not yet, but he was sick of waiting. He wanted a boyfriend, and clearly Daehyun was moving on turtle speed. So, he needed a little push. They both did. Maybe if he acted all in love, Baekhyun would start feeling it as well.

But, as he walked down the street towards his house, after saying goodbye to Daehyun and kissing him on the cheek, something that made the other boy all red, he wondered if he was forcing it. No, relationships were hard.

“And what did he say?” Junmyeon asked over the phone. Baekhyun wanted to talk to someone, and oddly enough, he felt awkward talking to Youngjae about it. Which was the first time, as he and Youngjae talked about everything.

“He said goodnight.”

“That’s it?”

“Yes. But he did say that he wanted to watch a drama next time.”

“And you found him warm towards you?”

“He is so in to me!” Baekhyun lied. Daehyun was always polite and friendly towards everyone. But maybe he was shy and he kept his true feelings to himself.

“I really thought that you would be late tonight and I arranged to meet with Sehun and his new friends. But you’re welcome to come,” Junmyeon said.

“No, it’s fine. I’ll just… go to the arcade!” Baekhyun said, and he stopped in front of the old neighborhood arcade that was opened till late night. He visited it when he was feeling down and he needed something to take his mind off.

“Sure? I can come and take you. The guys are really great. You’ll like them!”

“Another time. I’m kind of tired today.”

“Are you okay?” Baekhyun bit his lower lip. He shouldn’t had made Junmyeon worry.

“I am great! What? I have a boyfriend now and the best friends I could ask for! Have fun tonight!” Baekhyun said and hung up, walking into the old arcade. As soon as he stepped in, the strong scent of old hit him. It was as if he had stepped back in time through a time machine. The game machines were blinking, making happy sounds and singing the happy, catchy songs. Even their players seemed to be out of another age! They set on the short stalls; eyes glowed on the screens, hitting the buttons franticly, pennies piles next to them.

Baekhyun smiled to himself and set at the Super Mario machine. He also loved the space adventure, but he needed something less adventurous tonight, as he had enough action for a day. He fished some coins from his pocket and started a new game, until he felt someone sitting next to him. Baekhyun felt his present, the heat of the strange body almost too close to him. Who set next to him? Baekhyun tore his eyes from the game for a second. Long legs. Hmm. Another look then. And Chanyeol was smiling down on him.

Boom! His Mario was dead!

“You’re out of lives,” Chanyeol said and handed him a bottle of lemonade that was sweating down the floor. Baekhyun took it and smiled.

“You distracted me!” he said, feeling his hand freezing from the cold bottle.

“Oh, just move!” Chanyeol laughed and Baekhyun gave him his seat.

“Be my guest!”

Soon they moved over to Space Adventure. They even tried packman, till Baekhyun’s tummy started roaring and Chanyeol insisted that he had to feed him.

“I am better in more contemporary games,” Baekhyun tried to say with his mouth full with meat. Chanyeol smiled and added more cooked meat on Baekhyun’s rice.

“I bet you are,” he simply said.

“But what were you doing at the arcade?”

“I visit it from time to time.”

“This arcade?”

“Didn’t I tell you that I live nearby?”

“Oh, yeah. I forgot,” Baekhyun admitted. What a coincidence! Couldn’t it be Daehyun that lived close to him, playing games with him, having dinner with him? Not that he minded too much. Baekhyun realized that he actually liked Officer Park. He made him laugh and he seemed very nice and considerate towards Baekhyun. And as they walked down the street, under the starry sky, Baekhyun almost forgot that he had a boyfriend.

######

Why did he do it? Kyungsoo was at the library. He had actually to wait for them to open up, as he was too early.

“Studying started too early this semester, didn’t it?” the librarian smiled at him and Kyungsoo replied the smile without answering.

Why am I here? Why am I here? Why am I here? Kyungsoo kept repeating to himself with each step he took towards the poem section. He stared at the books that covered the shelves. Maybe that lazy girl hadn’t put it back yet. No, there it was. Kyungsoo took the poem book out and set on the nearest desk. Why am I doing this? He murmured to himself and opened the book anyway.

The first few verses were nuisance. Actually, Kyungsoo never appreciated poetry, as he preferred things to be straightforward, just like math. But something kept him reading anyway, till he found vivid red lines drawn underneath some of the words.

It is a weight that I can’t bare

But I have to anyway

Because you don’t see me

You might never will

Would you love me if you saw whom I see in the mirror?

Still I watch you from behind the garden’s flowers

How you make the blooms blush!

My love, my love, my love

I would love you till my last breath

Now Kyungsoo was certain that the book or the letter was intended for him. And certainly it wasn’t Jongin. The guy had the mind of a four year old; he would never read poetry or understand it!

Kyungsoo felt ridiculous that he had wasted an hour of his life reading something that was not even for him to read. And so, he put the book back and stormed out of the library. He didn’t even reply to the librarian’s comment about leaving so soon. Should he call Sehun or Junmyeon? He didn’t want to answer any of their annoying questions.

So he decided to just go for a cup of coffee to the nearest café that would be open and wait till his morning class started. He didn’t really feel like it, but it was still eight twenty and his class didn’t start till ten. Plus, it was quite chilly outside. Would it snow today? Kyungsoo hadn’t brought his gloves with him!

He was debating on going back to his room and getting his gloves or not, as he was crossing the street, when a car appeared out of nowhere, speeding down the road like it was on a race. Kyungsoo felt his feet like lead, watching the car storming towards him, but unable to move.

Everything happened in seconds. Or that’s what Kyungsoo thought, as he had lost his grip on reality for a few moments because of the terror he felt, so massive that paralyzed him. So, he didn’t really get when he ended from the middle of the street, watching the car moving towards him, on the ground, being back hugged by Jongin, feeling the force of the car as it pasted almost right next to them.

Kyungsoo shivered. Even when the car had long disappeared, he couldn’t bring himself to move. He just let himself sit there, in Jongin’s arms, feeling his breath on his neck, while his heart was racing like it was trying to escape his chest and roll down the asphalt. But his own breath wasn’t back yet. And even when he calmed a little, the first thing he could finally make sense of was the view of a dog shaking on the ground, blood covering his fur. 

“The… the dog,” Kyungsoo muttered, hot tears wetting his cheeks.

“It’s okay,” Jongin said, maneuvering his body so he was face to face with Kyungsoo.  “It’s okay, everything is going to be okay,” he said again, drawing Kyungsoo close and letting him rest his face on his chest, where Kyungsoo cried, the numbness of the shock finally wearing off.

When he was able to pull away, Jongin still kept his one arm around him, the other his hair. Kyungsoo stared into the boy’s face. His hair was all a mess and his grey scarf was lying next to him. And he had a nasty red bruise on his left cheek. Why couldn’t he stop looking at Jongin?

“The dog!” Kyungsoo cried, escaping Jongin’s embrace and running towards the animal, who left a small whine, his eyes all glittery. Jongin was on his side in seconds, taking his jacket off.

“We should move it slowly and carefully, so we don’t cause more bleeding,” Jongin instructed, placing the jacket on the ground next to the dog and taking the animal gently in his arms. Kyungsoo just followed him, as Jongin held the dog against his chest and ran down the street. They soon arrived at a building, that, for what Kyungsoo managed to read as they rushed in, it was an animal shelter.

People were at the reception area, but Jongin went passed them and walked into a room that looked like an examination ward, with a small bed in the middle and various tools all around.

“Where’s the doctor?” Jongin demanded the nurse that came after them.

“He’s out for an emergency. What is wrong?”

“We have a hit and run. He needs surgery.”

“None’s here. Maybe we can call a vet.”

“There is not enough time for it.”

“Can you perform?”

“I have done it before, but I don’t know,” Jongin admitted.

“I will help you. Shall we prepare for surgery?” she asked and looked over to Kyungsoo, who stood in the corner. Jongin looked over him as well.

“Are you okay?” Jongin asked, walking Kyungsoo out of the room, to the corridor.

“I am fine,” Kyungsoo lied. He wasn’t sure if he was though.

“You have to go to the hospital,” Jongin insisted. “I can have someone…”

“No. Go back to the dog. I’ll wait.”

“You should go to the hospital!”

“You go back to the dog and I’ll wait,” Kyungsoo repeated. Jongin looked worried, but he finally gave in and disappeared into the operating room.

Kyungsoo collapsed on the plastic chair that was in the corridor. What had happened? Was he hurt? He moved around slowly, finally finding the bathroom. He checked his body for blood. Fortunately, he was not bleeding. But his ribs hurt and he had some scratches and bruises all over down his legs and arms. He threw some cold water on his face and washed his arms and neck, before returning back to the corridor, where he waited for Jongin to come out, just like he had promised.

######

Daehyun strolled his long fingers down the colorful cover of the manga, resisting the temptation of taking it close to his face and getting a sniff of its pages. Not that anyone would judge him. Everyone seemed ecstatic over the new manga books that had just arrived.

Daehyun had woken up early that morning, so he would manage to get in the line outside the local comic book store. He wasn’t crazy enough to wait there all night, though he recognized some of the members from his manga club at the top of the line. But the series he was reading weren’t the most popular ones, and so he was confident that he would manage to get a copy. Actually, his only concern was if the comic book store wouldn’t bring the new book and he would have to drive downtown in search of one.

The line to the cashier was even larger than the one outside the shop. And surely, everyone was holding a copy of the hottest series nowadays, Water Park World. Daehyun was reading it as well, but he didn’t really like it. But it was famous, so he at least had to finish it, but he wouldn’t spend his money on it. However, he was aware of the stares he got from the other manga lovers around him. He was the only one who didn’t hold a WPW book. Worse, he was pursuing a Sweet lies book, a series that ceased to be a must have months ago.

“You’re a Sweet lies fan too?” Youngjae called from the bottom of the line and waved happily to Daehyun, who noticed that the boy was holding the same manga as him. Daehyun smiled back. A week ago he would have been annoyed that he ran into Youngjae nearly everywhere. But this time he wasn’t even surprised that Youngjae was reading the same series as him.

Daehyun left his spot at the line and joined Youngjae at the back. He knew that the other manga fans would have gone over the top if Youngjae had cut the line and he didn’t need so much negative energy this early in the morning.

“Won’t you be late for class or something?” Youngjae asked.

“The employee always gives funny looks when I buy this manga. Better bring a fellow fan this time around.”

“He doesn’t appreciate a good manga,” Youngjae laughed and Daehyun joined him, wondering why it was easier to laugh so naturally with Youngjae and not with his boyfriend.

######

“So, I’ve heard your date was pretty good,” Youngjae said, skipping through the pages of his knew manga. Baekhyun looked over his shoulder to the black and white pages. He never understood his friend’s obsession with manga books. He had even joined a club to read them together with other fans.

“Who told you?”

“Daehyun,” Youngjae smiled.

“What? Where did you meet him?”

“He is a member of my manga club,” Youngjae continued. “Didn’t he tell you?”

Daehyun hadn’t. Maybe he forgot. Though they did talked about their interests. Had he mentioned about his love for manga and Baekhyun was too busy staring at his handsome face and missed it?

“And? What did he say?” At least, Baekhyun could get the scoop over Daehyun straight from Youngjae. It actually was a great thing that Youngjae and Daehyun would be friends. They could read those silly books together, talk about Baekhyun together and, if things worked out, they could all go out and neither Daehyun nor Youngjae would feel awkward with one another.

“He said that he had a good time.”

“That’s it?”

“I didn’t ask for more details.”

“Why?” Baekhyun cried and everyone turned and stared at him. They were in class, during the break. Youngjae had arrived late, nearly at the same time as the professor as he had to go and buy that new manga he was waiting to come out for weeks. Baekhyun lowered his head in apology and returned to Youngjae, who was still occupied reading the comic. Baekhyun signed and closed the book.

“Why did you do that?” Youngjae asked annoyed.

“Why didn’t you ask for more details? Don’t you want to help your best friend?”

“I didn’t want to be rude. It’s too personal.”

“You could be district.”

“How could I? He would have thought that you had me ask him about it!”

“You’ve got a point. But still, you are on my side, right?”

“I…”

“What?”

“I don’t understand what you are trying to say,” Youngjae looked at him confused. “Anyway, he said that he felt guilty that it didn’t last long. By the way, though, why didn’t you call me if you went home that early?”

“I… I studied.”

“What? You? Studied?”

“I did,” Baekhyun lied, looking away

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter