Picnic Day!

Puppy Love 2.0

Two weeks into his new job, Jaehyun finally had the opportunity to join in the kindergarten's weekly picnic. He wasn’t able to join the kids and Doyoung last week since his old university called him back for some paperwork. But now he’s there with the whole of the kindergarten out at the school's grassed courtyard with striped and polka dotted picnic blankets laid out.

 

Jaehyun sits under the shade of a tree; it wasn’t hot or anything, it was actually quite nice and cloudy with the breezy wind blowing in. He was taking a quick break to recover from the hyperactive…beagles. He truly loves the kids and everything... but them running around high on sugar, he'd rather stay smiling quietly. 

He sits with his knees up to his chest, cooing over how adorable the tiny chubby first years of the kindergarten were tottering around.

 

The sudden cold and wet sensation onto his cheek startles him from his internal cooing session.

"You alright?" the voice from above asks. Jaehyun dazedly looks up to see his co-worker staring down at him with worried eyes.

"Ah," Jaehyun says, finally realizing the water droplets trinkling down his face. He says a small thanks as he takes the grape-flavoured yoghurt from his co-worker’s hand. "Yup, i'm fine, just… a little tired is all haha," he replies back with fatigued dimples.

"It really is tiring, isn’t it haha. I always make sure I get the extra sleep to prepare for the little beagles jumping around everywhere," Doyoung chuckles as he takes a seat on the soft grass next to the teacher. 

 

Jaehyun shakes the tiny yoghurt bottle, pausing for a bit before poking the thin straw through the soft purple aluminium cap. "Wait-- Who's taking care of the kids?" Jaehyun realizes with worry drooping from his tone as he scans the area for their children.

"Don't be such a mother hen," the teacher teased, feeling a bit soft at how quick the teacher had gotten attached to the children. "I asked Wendy and Yuta to keep an eye on them," he assures his colleague.

"Plus," Doyoung nudges Jaehyun's shoulder with his and lifts his chin in the air with jutted lips, "Our tiny kids are surrounding the huge giant like magnets riiight over there."

 

Jaehyun turns to where Doyoung pointed out to and sees the tall senior lifting a (horrifyingly) cackling Chenle up while making some airplane sounds with the other kids below calling out for a 'my turn my turn!'.

"Why is he even out here? Aren’t the primary kids having class right now?" Jaehyun snorts as he finally pokes his straw through the yoghurt foil.

"I saw a pile of unmarked test papers on his desk, but the only thing he said when I asked him about it was an 'aaahhhhhmmm-' before trailing off to the kids," Doyoung answers, shaking his head with the yoghurt straw between his teeth as he stares at the English teacher squatting for a quick breath.

After Jaehyun's short-lived laughter, the two teachers sat in the momentary comfortable silence, mutually empathising each other to take the time to re-energize themselves before going back to the war.

Before realizing, Doyoung finished his minute yoghurt drink and loudly the non-existent apple-flavoured liquid in denial. Jaehyun continues to sip his grape-flavoured drink as he watches his co-worker shake the small bottle in search for any remaining sugary liquid.

With a deep breath and a sharp exhalation, Doyoung looks back to the warzone with determination burning in his eyes. He stands up whilst patting any grass off his behind, and looks down to Jaehyun before heading off.

"I’m going in," the teacher says with a strong-willed nod and a two-finger salute.

"God's speed, my friend," Jaehyun replies back with a similar gesture to send his co-worker off into the battle zone.

 

Immediately after stepping a foot into the warzone, Doyoung's legs were instantly ambushed by Mark's hug; gaining a sympathetic ‘oofh’ from the teacher taking shelter under the safety of the tree.

Jaehyun slowly up the milk from his straw, savouring his freedom as much as possible, as he watches Mark's beloved being pulled away from him by a disruptive Donghyuck.

After Doyoung signals Wendy and Yuta a thanks and an invisible baton pass, both signalled back a thumbs up and mouths a good luck to him. Before Doyoung could even mouth back a pitiful ‘thanks’, his other free limbs were pulled by the beagles in every direction.

'Man-dooown' Jaehyun says to himself, biting the straw of his drink.

 

Jaehyun unfolds his legs with an arm behind to support his weight, comparing how lenient and tame Wendy's children were as they circle around Joy for a calm story book reading by the picnic blanket, or how Yuta's kids play around Hansol like soft puppies.

Then he looks back to Doyoung, trying to do as much damage control as he could, with Johnny being actively circled by hungry sharks waiting for a turn in The Royal Seo Airlines.

Before he knew it, the small yoghurt bottle was empty and he had been drinking flavoured air. Jaehyun checks the time on his phone before slipping it back into the pockets of his cardigan, gives himself a small ‘you can do it Jung Jaehyun!’ battle cry, and joins Doyoung in the fight.

 

 

 

It was almost time for the primary students to have their recess, and time for the kindergarteners to get picked up by their parents. Joy and Wendy were in the middle of bringing their children back into the building, whilst Yuta and Hansol’s were already in.

Doyoung finally pushes the English teacher to go back to marking the red inked-less test papers, and waves the wailing teacher a goodbye. While instructing the reluctant tall teacher to ‘go and be an actual teacher!’ from afar, Doyoung hears the familiar squeals of his kids from behind. Alerted, Doyoung turns to see what had happened and quickly stalks up to whatever the children were huddling around.

“What are you kids doin----” the concerned teacher begins before yelping out loud.

 

Jaehyun, who had taken the job of picking up all the empty yoghurt cans and clearing up the picnic blankets, comes back, confused, to the scene of a tall and lanky teacher crouching 5 feet apart from their children in fear.

“Kids… I know cats are… adorable… But you all should know touching a stray can be quite dangerous,” the teacher convinces as he tries to reason with the children.

“But,” Jeno started off while making some grunts with the other kids ‘oohh!!’-ing in amazement.

The confused Doyoung got even more confused when the kids suddenly opened a pathway from their huddle towards him. His eye widen and Doyoung falls onto his bum when he sees white fluff coming his way. “It’s so cute!!!” Jeno says while lifting up the purring cat with his tiny hands.

 

“Oooookay guys that’s enough-!” Jaehyun quickly interrupts, sliding in between Doyoung and the feline after noticing how pale the other looked. He takes the cat from Jeno’s hands, now freaked out from Jaehyun’s sudden loudness.

Jaehyun tries to calm the cat down as he carries it in his arms and walks to the other side of the courtyard. The cat struggled as he brings it down and ended up giving Jaehyun a scratch before running off with its fluffed up tail.

 

The relieved Doyoung flinches from hearing Jaehyun’s yelp and alertness was written all over his face once more as he scans the area for his co-worker. Right when he was going to call out his name, the teacher wiggled out of nowhere from the bushes and jogged to Doyoung with an assuring smile.

Doyoung releases a sigh of relief before turning back to the children, “Okay! Since you all had fun playing with the cute kitty- Time to wash your hands alright” Doyoung makes a sealed up smile as the kids abided obediently with a harmonious ‘Okayyy~’.

 

As the children follow behind the pair of teachers, Doyoung psst-s Jaehyun above the children between them. Jaehyun notices and lifts his his chin in wonder.

“Are you okay? I heard you scream earlier.” the teacher asked with furrowed brows and worry written all over his face.

“Oh,” Jaehyun gapes embarrassingly. He glances at his right hand and brings it up with a nervous laugh, “The little fella got freaked out and gave me a tiny scratch”

 

Before Doyoung could express his panic, the little kindergartener on his right tugged at their joined hands.

“Seonsaengnim… didn’t we pass by the sink,” Mark says, finally speaking out as a representative of the confused march of children.

“Eh?” Doyoung looks down to Mark then to his surroundings-- they had passed the communal outdoor sinks a class over.

“Oops” Jaehyun chuckles, “Looks like this train was heading to nowhere-ville” Jaehyun jokes with the kids as they turned around and gives his full attention into guiding the giggling children properly.

 

After Doyoung puts down the last toddler, he turns to the teacher playfully head-counting with the children

“.. Fifteen andd-” the teacher jested pointing to Herin.

“Sixteen!!” the children yelled as his finger pointed to the confused Jisung.

“.... Aand seventeen” Doyoung pointed to a blank Jaehyun’s face. “You, sir, also touched the kitty remember” Doyoung continued as a matter-of-factly.

“Oh yeah, right,” the teacher complied before heading his way and turning the tap next to his co-worker.

 

“Make sure you wash the scratch well so it won’t get infected,” his co-worker reminded in a whisper.

“Yup, thanks” Jaehyun whispers back with a smile.

Afterwards, they all head back to their classroom for the parents to pick their exhausted kids up.

 

 

 

With a final goodbye and a wave to Jaemin and his sister, the teachers simultaneously drag their backs against the wall and slump down onto the floor in exhaustion.

“So how was your first picnic?” Doyoung nudges the honey blonde brunet.

“Ha-ha” the blonde replied back with emphasized ‘Ha’-s monotonously as he looks out into space.

Doyoung raises his brow, afraid of how he might’ve broken the new teacher without giving an early warning.

“Just kidding,” the blonde flashes a smile, making Doyoung forget the distress-worthy monotone laughter in a second. “It was really fun actually!”, Jaehyun rejoices.

Doyoung thankfully watches the life coming back into Jaehyun as he recalls the day happily. “I also got to know the other kindergarten teachers more so that’s good,” Jaehyun follows after telling how cute the other kids outside their kindergarten level was.

“But all in all…” his smile faltering a bit, “…. Honestly that was pretty tiring man,” Jaehyun slumps down with a laugh.

“Sorry for not giving you a heads up,” his co-worker chuckled as he watches the life out of Jaehyun drain out almost immediately.

“Ah,” Doyoung snaps his fingers, making Jaehyun raise his head. “Also gotta remember to thank that giant volunteer we had,” he continues off after remembering his presence; it was almost as if the English teacher had blended so well with the beagles Doyoung had forgotten about him.

“Volunteer?” Jaehyun looks into Doyoung’s eyes, astounded by such praise-worthy title. “That goober just wanted to skip off work remember” Jaehyun reminded, bringing them both into fits of laughter after Doyoung replies back with an equally astounded ‘Oh yeah you’re right!!’

They relinquish in a short moment of mutually tired silence after their laughing session. Jaehyun notices the time on the apple clock hanging on the wall of their class and checks back with the watch on his wrist before getting up from his squat.

 

“Well, since tomorrow’s a weekend,” the brunet says as he dusts off the specs from his pants, “I’m going to sleep the entire day,” he says, flashing a guilty pleasured look to Doyoung.

“Ahhhhh, that! That sounds reaalllyy great honestly,” Doyoung agrees as he gets up too and stretches out his arms. “I feel like my entire body would be sore when I wake up tomorrow though,” the raven-haired teacher wails as he releases the final arm stretch.

Jaehyun lazily mutters out a ‘sameee’ as they both head to the desk to collect their stuff.

 

 

Just when Jaehyun finished stuffing his grey thermos into his bag, Doyoung glances onto his hand.

“Oh wait-” he realizes as Jaehyun puts the strap over his head.

“Hmmn?” Jaehyun replies back questioningly.

“That,” Doyoung pointed, letting Jaehyun’s eyes to wander to where his co-worker’s finger directed to. “That, needs to be plastered up,” Doyoung says as he turns around to open the cupboard behind him in search for a bandage.

“Oh,” Jaehyun realizes that his worker referred to the small scrape the fluff had given him earlier. “It’s fine really, it’s just a small scratc-” Jaehyun continues, only to get cut off by the teacher.

“An exposed small scratch can also get infected Jaehyun-ssi,” Doyoung cuts in firmly with his arms on his sides with a huff. “Better safe than sorry!” the teacher hums as he continues to rummage through the boxes.

“Okay Doctor Doyoung-ssi” Jaehyun puts his hands up in surrender with a chuckle as he takes a seat.

 

 

It takes a while for Doyoung to scavenge through the boxes; only to realize that all the bandages had been used up by their feisty kids.

“Ahh, I need to remember to go to the sick bay to get some more,” Doyoung says to himself.

“It’s just a small scratch Doyoung-,” Jaehyun tries to assure the teacher only to get cut off mid-sentence again.

“Wait!” Doyoung says firmly once more as he goes to his bag. “A man must always be prepared for any sort of situation!” Doyoung says proudly while pulling out a blue carrot printed plaster out of a small ziplock from his bag with a ‘tadaa!’

“What a cute bandage coming from such a prepared man,” Jaehyun chuckles as he accepts the cutely patterned plaster from his co-worker.

“There’s nothing wrong with a man having cute stuff,” Doyoung huffs back with a slight pout.

Jaehyun watches Doyoung stuffing the small first aid ziplock back into his bag. “It’s cool how you carry that first aid kit around with you, Doctor Doyoung-ssi,” Jaehyun partly teased, but mostly complimented the other’s preparation genuinely.

Doyoung gives his thanks and fondly chuckles back, “I have a friend that would nag me about safety and all that, so I prepared this bag to impress him.” He says so with a thumb and index finger up to his chin for a ‘cool’ gesture, only to bring his whole palm up to his cheek after pretending to look around.

Doyoung continues confessing to Jaehyun in a hushed voice, “… But honestly I did it so I wouldn’t get nagged anymore, my ears have had just about enough you see,” followed up by exaggerated sobs from the teacher.

Jaehyun laughs as he fiddles with the bandage plastic and messily sticks the plaster over the scratch.

“Aish..,” Doyoung tsk-s as he sees the messily placed plaster on the teacher’s hand. “That’s not how you stick it, you goon, ” the teacher says with a hint of irritation in his voice after seeing something poke the perfectionist within him.

 

He takes Jaehyun by surprise as he leans forward suddenly, grabs Jaehyun’s hand and pulls the plaster off his hand. As Doyoung straightens the plaster and properly positions it above the scratch, Jaehyun tries to tame the warmness building up in his cheeks from such close proximity.

After sticking and smoothening out the plaster on the other’s hand with pride, he looks up with a smile, “See! That’s how you use a plaste-” Doyoung trails off as his doe eyes suddenly meets a close flustered rose-tinted Jaehyun. “O-oh,” Doyoung stutters as he realizes the closeness he made with the other and backs up a bit.

He clears his throat and tries to ignore the similar warmth on his cheeks, “Anyway, yeah! That’s how you use a plaster properly,” Doyoung says with a goofy smile.

Jaehyun pats the plastered scratch and looks at Doyoung with a mirrored goofy smile and his moon-shaped eye smiles, “Yeap, thanks Doyoung-ssi”

 

 

They both collected their stuff in silence and headed to the door. Jaehyun notices the fluorescents and without thinking, brings an arm over Doyoung to the switches by the door.

“Ah,” Jaehyun dumbly says as he meets Doyoung’s saucer eyes. Doyoung jolts over the abrupt action as Jaehyun flips the switches off. “Oh-- sorry” Jaehyun swallows, realizing he forgot what personal space was. He quickly retracts his arms and gives Doyoung space, “The lights were still on.”

Doyoung tries to save himself with a ‘no it’s alright, can’t believe I forgot about the lights hahahahahaha’, ruined by his obvious nervous laughter.

They continue to walk in the hallways with the previously comfortable but now suffocating silence between them. Despite the squealing primary students running past them, the fuzziness in their ears blocked them out.

 

Passing the principal’s office, Doyoung stops in his tracks and Jaehyun turns to see what was wrong.

Doyoung sends a reply text on his phone and crams it back into his pocket. “The school’s nurse is in so I’ll go and get the bandages first,” Doyoung says.

“Oh,” Jaehyun utters, “would you like me to me to wait for you?”

“Oh-- No no it’s alright! You go ahead Jaehyun-ssi,” Doyoung rejects the kind offer. “I’ll see you on Monday!” he says with a wave goodbye to Jaehyun before turning his back and jogging away.

“Bye Doyoung-ssi!” Jaehyun waves a bit far too late for Doyoung to see, but was able to get a cheerful ‘Bye!’ back from the other as he watches the figure behind the bushes.

 

 

Jaehyun greets the bus conductor and sits at his usual spot by the window. While waiting for the other seats to get filled up, Jaehyun looks at the carrot patterned plaster and adoringly chuckles as he smoothens out the creases.

Once the bus doors were closing he looks out to the window and sees his co-worker by the school gates. He was ready to finally give a small wave for the teacher to see, but freezes when he sees a familiar, yet, not-so-familar figure walking next to the giggling Doyoung. Before he could even make out the face next to his colleague, the bus shifted gear and drove off.

When the bus was too far off for Jaehyun to confirm himself, he gives up looking out the window and resigns back into his seat. ‘No it couldn’t have been…’ he denies himself by reasoning he was just tired; ultimately just passing the sight of a person he’d probably never would want to cross paths with, laughing with Doyoung as an imagination.

He shakes it off and shuts his eyes to get a bit of sleep before reaching his apartment complex; all while unconsciously placing a hand over the carrot-bandaged scratch.

 


HI TAKE THIS EXTREMELY DELAYED UPDATE

yeah, idk im sorry i told myself i wouldnt be that writer that only comes back once a year when i started out writing but ive been so caught up w college and  became that writer lolol 

sorry ;;__;;

I'm actually having my qualifying exams right now! Obviously im using my study leave to actually study chem and definitly not procrastinating as some sort of self saving mechanism or smth psFshj

Anyway! Hope u guys enjoy this lil update huhuh ;;v;;

I'm planning to follow this update up w a short behind the scenes kind of thing but i really do need to study for chemistry orz,, i have a 3-day study leave after tomorrow's exam though so we'll see how that goes haha

this is what yakult is btw, if u didnt know

Also!! if ure reading my other johndo fic too, im planning to give an update soon! ((again, lets just see if i'll actually get up and proofread all the docs haha))

 

Lastly, do drop by any lovely comments for me to live off from and subscribe~

Till next time friends! <3

((Also dont forget vote and stream alot for when the dreamies comeback on youtube and music channels!!!))