First Day Butterflies (II)

Puppy Love 2.0

“It’s amazing how Mr. Lee is still here” Jaehyun says astonished as they head to the kindergarten after thanking the principal and heading out.

“I know right, he’s been here for like? Fifteen years?” agrees the teacher while nodding. “He’s probably immortal or something”

 

Johnny slides the door open and they were both met with a Doyoung in a lime green apron sweeping the classroom with his tiny helpers. "Oh? Good morning Johnny" the kindergarten teacher greets with a broom in hand.

"Morning Doyoung," the tall brunet replies back with a smile. He signals his eyes and points his thumb to his right "You've met him already right"

Doyoung squints a bit before recognizing the curled brunet "Jaehyun-ssi! Come in, come in" the teacher gleams, front rabbit-teeth showing.

“Thank you haha” Jaehyun smiles, entering the class. Mark held the dustpan next to Doyoung while the other two students were playing behind them.

 

"Good morning Johnny-seonsaengnim!” chimed the kindergartener with the dustpan to the teacher by the door.

“Good morning Mark!” the English teacher replies back with similar cheerfulness and a wave. Johnny notices the hands of the clock hanging on the wall; “Alright, I gotta go now” Johnny says looking at his wristwatch. “Take care of him Doyoung!” he says with smiling eyes and a wave before sliding the door close.

 

Mark looks up to Jaehyun while holding the dustpan, “... Good morning Jaehyun-seonsaengnim,” the kindergartener says with a glint of wariness in his voice for any upcoming betrayal teases from the teacher.

"Good morning Mark" Jaehyun chuckles, giving a head pat to the kindergartener.

 

Doyoung calls the other two students, “Jisung, Chenle, greet Jaehyun-seonsaengnim”

The students finally take their attention off their little sword battle to look up to the stranger in the room. One of them stops to give a small bow while the other suddenly holds his sword up towards Jaehyun and stances “You! Who art thou into this class!”

Jaehyun, who quickly thinks and decides to play along responded back, “I am thy new teacher!”

 

The kindergartener that had challenged Jaehyun gasped in amazement for his quick reply. He charges towards the teacher with a squeaking battle cry and proceeds to stab him with the plastic toy in the stomach. Jaehyun grunts from the sudden attack and falls onto the ground.

OH MY GOD CHENLE NO” the panicked teacher drops his broom and heads over to the teacher holding his stomach and groaning on the ground.

 

“I HAVE DEFEATED THE BEAST!!!” the kindergartener rejoices, running to Jisung for an exciting hug of jumps. Mark just stands there with the dustpan, unsure whether to join Chenle’s hug for a job well done, or go to the panicked Doyoung and help; he decides on the latter for his beloved.

“Jaehyun-seonsaengnim!!” Mark says running towards the pair of teachers. “Are you okay??” the kindergartener asks while wrapping himself on the back of the kneeling Doyoung.

 

“Jaehyun-ssi are you okay????” the teacher with large concerned saucer eyes asks, cracking his voice.

Jaehyun holds the spot of the stabbing as he watches the pair of kindergarteners celebrating over the defeat of the beast. Why are kids so strong these days, he wonders to himself while trying to soothe the pain.

Jaehyun cracks a pained grin at the teacher before putting a finger up to his lips. Jaehyun shhh-es the confused teacher in front of him before looking back to Chenle.

 

AhhhhhHhHHHh” Jaehyun suddenly says monotonously in a loud voice, making the teacher and Mark jump a little, and grabbing the attention of his attacker and his friend from their little party.

Jaehyun flips dramatically, arms flung out and facing the ceiling. He makes more fake and monotonous wails while bringing his hands to his stomach.

 

Mark looks at his teacher and quietly says while pointing at the teacher spread onto the floor, “what.

Doyoung could only answer his student with an equally confused shrug before turning back to the spontaneous play.

 

Aghhhh, now how am thy the Good Dragon going to giveth delicious candyth to the childrenth of the villageth” He says every word robotically with terrible acting, stealing glances at Chenle ever so often.

“Candy?!” Jisung gasps while looking at his partner. Chenle mouths a silent ‘candy??' back to Jisung and looks at the teacher on the floor. He drops his sword and hesitatedly walks towards the teacher.

 

Doyoung, concerned with furrowed brows, watches Chenle drop onto the floor in front of the wailing and loud teacher wriggling on the floor.

Chenle looks at Jaehyun; Jaehyun pausing his wails while accidentally meeting eyes with the student, before continuing his obnoxiously loud monotone wails. Chenle brings his two tiny palms on top of Jaehyun’s.

WINGARDIUM LEVIOSAA!!” the kindergartener squeaks suddenly, shocking Jaehyun and the audience with the sudden plot twist.

 

Jaehyun stares at Chenle in a frozen state, unsure what had happen, and wonders if he should be pretending to float at that moment. Silence ensues in the classroom.

 

“The dragon has been healed!” Chenle breaks the silence and announces to the audience.

“Isn’t it supposed to be ‘episkey’” Mark says quietly as he tugs Doyoung’s sweater, criticising this third-rate of a play.

 

“I have??” Jaehyun asks the kindergartener, pushing his chest up with arms behind holding him up. His healer nods in affirmation.

The teacher on the floor takes a moment to digest on where the story had progressed so far before sitting upright and bringing up his arms for a cheer, “I have been healed!!”

Jisung claps happily at the side while the teacher-student pair kept on judging the play in front of them with mouths left open, unsure what to say anymore.

 

“Yes!! Thy have been healed by thou!!” Chenle says getting up with energy. He looks at Jaehyun and holds his hand out to him.

Jaehyun stares the hand held towards him. Feeling oddly touched by the gesture, he brings his hand out to reach for the smaller’s.

“Now!” the toddler says, causing Jaehyun to pause. Chenle flips his hand repeatedly to a ‘gimme’ gesture, “The dragon will reward me with the delicious candy for saving his life!!”

Jisung claps with more excitement; Doyoung snorts and bursts into laughter. Mark was the only one who accompanied Jaehyun in dumb-foundedly staring at the stabber turned heroic healer.

 

Jaehyun starts to puff out airs of baffled laughter, then to a full blown burst of laughter; his stomach starting to hurt once again. He reaches into his pocket while he lets the other hand hold onto his hurt stomach. He pulls out the sweet sugary candies from his pocket, causing Chenle to gasp a delighted ‘CANDY!!’.

Jaehyun’s laughter calms a bit and he plops two pieces onto the smaller’s palm. Chenle makes some happy squealing sounds before running to Jisung gleefully and giving him one.

 

Jaehyun gets up and crouches next to the two celebrating musketeers. He hands each another piece of candy while unwrapping one himself and plopping one into his mouth. The pair stares at the trio resuming their little party that has been replenished with free food by the new third member.


Doyoung shakes his head at the friendly sight, chuckling. He watches the new teacher getting along with the students; smiles and crinkled eyes showing on their faces.

The teacher gets up to crouch next to his co-worker. He faces and lightly taps Jaehyun’s shoulder, then lifts a hand up to cover his face from the happy musketeers, "Jaehyun-seonsaengnim, can I talk to you over there" the teacher whispers, giving a smile and showing his pearly whites afterwards.


Jaehyun was appalled by the teacher's sudden childlike yet adorable action. He felt his cheeks warm up by the sudden attack, but brushes it off and replies back with a nod and a gulp.

"Mark can you lead the musketeers to sweep the classroom?" Doyoung asks, turning back to face the kindergartener heading towards them. Mark nods and smiles happily fafter receiving the head pats he loves from his teacher. Re-energized, he fearlessly goes to the two musketeers with a dustpan and brooms; the two wailing an ‘ehhhhhh’ when the uninvited party guest hands them the brooms.


Both the teachers got up from their crouch and Doyoung leads them towards the teachers’ desk. Jaehyun chuckling as he turns to see Mark leading the cleaning team confidently while Doyoung goes through the closet next to the desk. "Is this really your first time working as a kindergarten teacher?" Doyoung asks smiling as he takes out a slightly worn out looking box.

"Yup," Jaehyun answers, "though I did have some student-teacher experience for kindergarten back in uni" Doyoung gives a fascinated 'ohhhh' as he continues to sift through the stuff.

"Ah, here it is" Doyoung chirps as he finally finds the item he was searching for. He pulls out a folded baby blue apron, similar to the one he was wearing. He unfolds it and dusts it clean before handing it out to Jaehyun in a soft tone and a warm smile, "Welcome to the class Jaehyun-songsaenim"

Doyoung's infectious warm smile makes Jaehyun to pull up one too. "Thanks," he replies back as he takes the apron, feeling all bubbly and warm inside.

 

 

The rest of day went well. Jaehyun greeted and nervously introduced himself to the parents dropping off their kids to the kindergarten; flustering every time a parent calls him the new handsome teacher.

And in commemoration of Jaehyun’s first day with the kids, Doyoung replaced the first lesson of the day with a small surprise welcome party. The kids were wearing party hats (birthday hats to exact. “They were the only ones they had!’ refutes the teacher after Jaehyun’s tease), and abusing the party kazoos that the teacher had regretted handing out.

 

Doyoung had the kids sit at their small rounds of tables with snacks and fruit juices in front of them. Jaehyun at first felt his throat run dry and stumbled over his words when Doyoung had told him to introduce himself to the class. He felt that even though he had grown into an adult, the butterflies he had back then were still there, fluttering as much as his first day decades ago.

Doyoung melted, seeing his new co-worker suddenly getting all shy and awkward in front of their kids. He fully continued to encourage and support his new co-worker, providing unnecessary and hearty ‘WHOO!!’-s and ‘WOOOOW!’-s to every end of Jaehyun’s sentences at the side, while also wearing a party hat himself.

One of the kindergarteners, Koeun, ended up asking Doyoung-seonsaengnim to ‘please be quiet’, causing Jaehyun burst into his own fits of laughter while the said teacher splutters excuses and fans himself in the suddenly warm class.


Jaehyun smoothly continued to introduce himself afterwards, and by the end of it, he had the whole class gathering around him tugging his clothes and excitingly ask questions.

He was full of and laughter answering all their ridiculous yet adorable questions: “Jaehyun-seonsaengnim is Doyoung-seonsaengnim shorter than you??” (Donghyuck receiving a “HEY” from the said teacher), or “Why do you have, and then sometimes DON’T HAVE tiny holes on your face???”.

Doyoung laughed the whole way too, he even asked a few ridiculous questions himself. Jaehyun choked in laughter as he entertained his co-worker. At the end of their party, Doyoung worked hard to pluck the children off the new teacher to start off their class lessons.

 

Jaehyun mostly just assisted Doyoung with the lessons, observing and taking notes of the kindergarten’s schedule. The kids were attentive, answering his questions and all. By the end of the day, the children wished Doyoung-seonsaengnim and their new teacher gleeful farewells. Jaehyun had gotten to know his class of sixteen more, alongside with his co-worker as they spent an hour behind in class over coffee and chatter. Johnny came in to intrude their chat, wailing over where his coffee was, and with Doyoung, brought Jaehyun to meet with the other kindergarten teachers afterwards.
 

 

Jaehyun waits by the entrance stairs for Johnny to bring his car over. He smiles warmly reviewing today’s memories with the class, and his surprisingly adorable co-worker.

“Oh you’re not going home yet?” Jaehyun hears from behind, footsteps getting closer to him. Ah. Speak of the devil, Jaehyun says to himself. He brings out a wide smile and signature dimples upon seeing his co-worker in sweater heading towards him. Doyoung smiles back and plops down next to the teacher.

“I’m waiting for Johnny-hyung to get his car” Jaehyun replies back, facing away from his co-worker to avoid his cheeks from getting sunburnt by the teacher’s undefeatable grin.

“Mhmmm,” Doyoung hums, fiddling with his fingers on his lap. “So how was today?” Doyoung asks looking back to his co-worker. “Happy to be my co-worker Jaehyun-seonsaengnim?” Doyoung smiles with a head tilt once he grasps eye contact with Jaehyun.

 

Jaehyun’s eyes widen a bit from the sudden attack and felt his lungs momentarily not working before coughing away from the cute being. “Yup” he says sealing his lips with warm cheeks.

Doyoung quietly chuckles and internally hurrahs at the result of his tease; though it unintentionally had a side-effect on himself with similarly rose-tinted cheeks.

 

They simultaneously turn their heads to the honks of the car heading towards them with a Johnny waving inside.

“Well, time to go” Doyoung says as he grabs the file and dusts off his pants while getting up. “See you tomorrow Jaehyun-ssi” the teacher says, directly sunburning Jaehyun with the rude smile he had oh so tried to avoid.

Jaehyun felt like his cheeks were now a goner, but gets up anyway and smiles back one himself, “Yeah, see you tomorrow Doyoung-ssi”
 

 


Two teachers down in one day, kindergarteners are tough I tell ya

Anyway, SORRY FOR THE EXTREME DELAY UHUHUHU-- I said I would post the second part the next day but i was busy ;;__;;;;

And I couldn't post it bc I had my attachment for the week! The school contacted me 2 hours before it started it was so chaotic i was yelling everywhere lmfao

but im done with that now so i could get back to proofreading and stuff

maybe

i have a week of holiday left and i havent touched the homework at all im gonna die

Also I think i'll continue the series with drabbles after this,,

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to comment and subscribe~! <3