Chapter One: Pilot

Name

‘Kim Jongin’

 

Kyungsoo stared at his wrist in disbelief. He had been waiting 18 years to find out the name of his soulmate, just like his hyungs. Finally turning 18 meant that, of course, a name will appear across the antebrachial vein of your wrist. This name was supposed to me the person you were born to be with. Kyungsoo remembered how his older brother got his, and he married the most beautiful girl Kyungsoo had ever seen. Everyone in the world of course is enthusiastic about finding the one. Kyungsoo always was, eager to look down at his wrist and see Hwang Tiffany, the girl in his class that he has his eyes on since he was six years old watching her play with her friends from the sandpit. His family was around him eager to know what the name was, as his eyes are the only ones who can see the name in the first place. His mother and father were excited to hear their son say Tiffany, so he could marry off and give them grandchildren.

 

Kim Jongin was Kyungsoo’s childhood friend, they have been close since diapers and Barney the Dinosaur. Kyungsoo knew already for sure, that it would be dishonorable to have a man be his soulmate. People who admitted this were socially outcasted. Though it wasn’t their fault, it was highly frowned upon. Kyungsoo let out a frightened sigh and looked into the eyes of his family, and he lied perfectly. “It’s Tiffany’s friend, Taeyeon.” His mother let out a chuckle, “You know, I always liked Taeyeon better anyway! I am so happy~ She fits you well Kyungsoo.” He nodded and swallowed hard, “Well you know the rules, let us find each other umma.” She nodded and smiled giggling with her husband, Kyungsoo’s father patting his back, “He made a good pick, not every man gets a wife with the looks of Taeyeon.” Kyungsoo’s heart sank, beneath his feet, beneath the earth. Jongin. Not Tiffany, Jongin. Kyungsoo wasn’t interested in men, and Jongin was the biggest womanizer he knew.

 

This has to be some kind of mistake, he looked at his wrist one more time and it glows brightly.

 

‘Kim Jongin’

 

----

 

Kyungsoo woke up the next morning and checked the clock, he woke up an hour and thirteen minutes early. He rubbed his eyes, he did sleep a few hours earlier than he had intended especially considering it was his birthday and his parents were going let him have a glass of wine with them. He kindly refused and went upstairs and slept for 16 long hours, trying to forget that name. It still clearly said, ‘Kim Jongin’ sixteen hours of dreaming about Tiffany couldn’t even erase it. He got up and got ready for school nevertheless, he tied his senior blue tie around his neck and grabbed his bag. He grabbed the keys to his car and drove to school.

 

Kyungsoo’s first class awkwardly was the class he shared with Tiffany and Jongin, he walked in and took his seat across from Tiffany and behind Jongin. He took out his textbook and the homework. Jongin turned around, “Hey Dyo, is that the homework, let me copy it real quick.” The voice of Jongin made Kyungsoo jump, he looked at his wrist, it was brightly glowing because he was close. “Oh Right! What was the name?!” Kyungsoo felt like he was going to vomit. If someone else mentioned the god forsaken names, he slammed his book shut. “None of your business.” Kyungsoo covered his arm with his sleeve. “It’s wasn’t her was it, man who knew I swore on everything you’d end up with Tiff.” Kyungsoo looked at her talk with Taeyeon, the beautiful smile on her face, she was perfect. “It wasn’t her.” Kyungsoo admitted and looked out the window. He had to tell Jongin, or maybe not, he’d find out on his own. When he turns eighteen. Kyungsoo sighed and looked out the window for the remainder of class. The teacher didn’t bother him, he gave off the stay away vibe.

 

Lunch started, Kyungsoo opened his container and picked at the jjajangmyun with his chopsticks. It just wasn’t right, this had to be a mistake. Where is the apology letter from up above huh? Jongin turned his desk around to eat with Kyungsoo. “Don’t you ever get tired of eating Jjajangmyun?”, Kyungsoo looked up at Jongin, “Don’t you ever get tired of being an asshat?” Jongin blinked and laughed setting his lunch in front of Kyungsoo, “Gimme some of that and I’ll give you some of my barbecue leftovers.” Kyungsoo agreed reluctantly and they exchanged half of their lunches. “Oh, by the way, I am sorry I couldn’t go to your house on your birthday, my sister came to visit and we all went out for barbecue.” Kyungsoo nodded his head, “Don’t worry about it Kai.” He began stuffing his face with the noodles, Jongin chuckled, “So really, Who is the one for you?” Kyungsoo choked on the Jjajangmyun and loudly began coughing, Jongin handed him a drink in concern, “Kyung be careful jeez man-” Kyungsoo drank the water and wiped his mouth. “I told you Jongin, I don’t wanna talk about it.” Jongin pouted, “Yah, hyung. That’s unfair! You’d be the first one to know my name, so why can’t you tell me yours?” Kyungsoo rubbed his temples, “Can we please stop talking about The Name, please.” Kyungsoo looked at Tiffany who was talking to Taeyeon, he smiled dreamily at her. Jongin looked down sadly, “You can have my lunch Kyungsoo, I think I am gonna go home early, I don’t feel good.” Kyungsoo was too distracted to process, “Yeah, thanks-”

---

Kyungsoo sat next to Sehun in English class, Sehun was the youngest friend Kyungsoo had. Sehun was a sophomore put in senior classes because of his academics. Kyungsoo wished he was as smart as Sehun, as good looking too, seeing as is all girls regardless of age goggled at the 16 year old. “Hello hyung-” Kyungsoo nodded his head as a greeting and took out his notes, “Are you alright? You look extremely lost.” He was extremely lost. “Do I, Nah I am just hoping that I did the homework right.” Sehun nodded and looked over Kyungsoo’s homework, “Yeah, it’s perfect. Everything’s right.” The teacher walked in, “Class, we have a new student. He transferred from China, Here we have Luhan-” When the boy walked in the girls in the class all gasped at once and started whispering. Luhan was the prettiest boy that Kyungsoo had ever seen, if you put a wig and a dress on him, Kyungsoo would forget all about Tiffany. But, Kyungsoo wasn’t gay. Sehun was though. He saw the way Sehun’s eyes glued to Luhan like a piece of candy. Kyungsoo chuckled, as depressing as it may sound, Sehun can’t really decide his uality, on his wrist will show some woman, and Sehun will be destroyed. That’s how ‘The Name’ works. For everyone, everyone except Kyungsoo. He covered his face with his hands and groaned.