Ch. 8

Flutter
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 8

You were still giggling with Jieun when you pulled the door open only to be met with someone's firm chest right in front of your eyes.

Sehun looked like he was just about to knock, one hand up still stuck in the air, when you opened the door stumbling into him. He had an eyebrow raised and the smallest curl of the corner of his mouth told you that there was a real possibility he had just heard what Jieun said about his hands on you.

“Uhhh,” you started. “Hello.”

“Hello,” Sehun immediately replied, smiling brightly at you. He let his hand fall back down in front of him where he clasped it with the other one.

It seemed that you and Jieun were not the only ones that had an outfit change. Sehun was wearing a well fitted suit, dark colours complimenting everything about him, from his body, to his skin, even to his hair colour. Clearly a well planned and crisp look were it not for the scrunched up tie around his neck.

Sehun was the first to break your appreciative stare as he peeked behind you.

“Jieun, Minseok was wondering if you're ready to go downstairs? He wants you to have a final look at his hair before you do. And I,” he continued, looking back at you, “need you.”

Your mouth fell open, but before you could do anything about it or say anything, Jieun sighed dramatically behind you.

“That man, he’ll have me do his hair till the end of our lives.”

Despite her attempt at a whine, you could see that she was smiling happily under her nose. More than anything, it seemed like she was looking forward to doing his hair, even if it was until the end of time.

She quickly shuffled around you and started walking to the room on the other end of the hallway. You looked at her back, nervously realising that she was already leaving you alone with Sehun, when she suddenly spoke up without even looking at you.

“We’ll meet you down in five minutes, so don't you dare fool around!” You were instantly burning in embarrassment when she whipped her head towards Sehun, giving him the squinty eyes of distrust. “I’m watching you, Oh Sehun.”

What was supposed to be an intimidating look apparently only made Sehun chuckle lightly.

Jieun was soon out of sight and you focused your attention back on the man in front of you.

“Is it the tie again?” You asked, eyeing the bad knot of the accessory.

“What do you think?” Sehun asked sighing, but smiling gently.

“I think you might be doing this on purpose,” you said, your own goofy smile making its way to your lips.

“If I was doing it on purpose, I think I’d pretend I can't button up my shirt either.” Sehun immediately shot back, a smirk plastered on his face.

You couldn't help, but snort, smacking him lightly on the chest.

“Come in and sit down so I can fix it,” you said, grabbing Sehun by the hand and pulling him inside the room.

He followed without protest, but he quickened his step, taking the lead. He took you to one of the couches, sitting lightly on the armrest, and pulling you towards him. As you came closer, he spread his legs so you could stand between them again.

With him sitting on the couch, you were now almost the same height. Sehun was smiling softly at you, his thumb rubbing circles on the back of your palm. You unconsciously leaned in closer to him, closer to the warmth of his chest and the scent of his cologne, of him. Sehun furrowed his eyebrows lightly, his eyes flicking between your own and your lips, the action immediately causing a light blush to creep up your neck.

Before you could get completely lost in the darkness of Sehun’s eyes, a sudden loud laughter made you both jump. Somebody was walking in the hallway outside the room, making their way down to the restaurant, laughing wildly.

“This must be Jieun and Minseok,” you mumbled, breaking the silence between you.

You noticed Sehun swallowing heavily before nodding.

“Yeah, it must be time to go.”

You nodded as well and you slipped your hand from Sehun’s and you got to work, untying the askew accessory before aligning it properly.

It hadn’t escaped your attention that his tie, and even his entire suit, matched your dress.

“Is this what you were buying when we went shopping together?” You asked, trying to keep your eyes on the task at hand, rather than on Sehun’s handsome face.

“I wanted to make sure we match,” he nodded, pausing for a moment. “Do you not like it?”

You gently pulled the knot around his neck, fastening it into place, before patting his chest gently.

“I love it,” you replied, a happy smile spreading on your lips.

Sehun chuckled, tapping your nose with his finger, making a few of the butterflies in your tummy flutter.

“Come on then,” he mumbled, standing up and sliding his hand around your waist. “Jieun will probably yell at us for being late.”

~

When you finally made it to the reception room, most people were already at their assigned seats. A few heads turned towards you as you walked in and you nervously pressed yourself closer to Sehun.

You found your way to Jieun’s table, swiftly sitting next to her with Sehun following behind.

“Where were you guys?” She immediately questioned you.

“I had to fix his tie,” you replied, absentmindedly placing your hand on Sehun’s thigh as you looked around the table curiously.

Jieun eyed the action carefully and as you turned back to her she opened , about to say something, but then your attention was taken by Minseok who was now getting up to quiet everyone down and start the speeches.

~

Thankfully, nobody took too long with their speech. To your surprise Sehun had to give one as well, you should have known really, but you still stared at him with wide eyes as he flawlessly told a very embarrassing story of a drunk Minseok. You had been there when it actually happened and yet, it still made you laugh. He ended it with some heartfelt good wishes and you clapped enthusiastically with everyone.

Dinner was soon underway and even though it was a wedding and a special occasion, it felt like you were just having dinner with your friends. Your table seating was obviously hand picked by Jieun and Minseok and you were thankful, because you were surrounded by some of your closest friends.

Sehun was constantly piling more food on your plate and asking if you want this or that. In return you made sure he ate from everything as well, constantly making him pick from your plate where you had more than you could ever eat.

Nobody seemed to be eager to question your sudden closeness with Sehun, even though the last time you were all together you were still avoiding him like the plague. You knew that the nonchalance was probably the bride’s doing.

Jongdae was the only one constantly sending you knowing smiles from the other side of the round table, laughing heartily every time you flushed because of him. You were threatening to throw a cherry tomato at him when you felt Sehun lean in, whispering in your ear.

“Are you having fun?” He asked, looking at you with genuine curiosity. He had his hand on the back of your chair, almost hugging you and his chest lightly touching your shoulder.

You immediately turned towards him, leaning in towards the, now more familiar, warmth. You ignored Jongdae’s piercing loud laughter from the side and focused on Sehun’s dark eyes.

“Definitely,” you said, smiling and nodding happily.

“What is Jongdae teasing you about? He’s been smirking and winking at me this whole time.”

You flushed a little, snorting.

“About us.”

“Oh?”

“I think Jieun told everyone to act normal when seeing us together, but you know how Jongdae is. He wouldn’t miss an opportunity like this to tease the hell out of me.”

Sehun scrunched his eyebrows thoughtfully, “That is true,” he said quietly, “Maybe you really should chuck that tomato at him and see what happens.” You had to fight the feeling to put your hand on his chest where you could feel the soft rumble of his laughter, instead you just allowed yourself to lean in a little bit more.

Sehun didn’t seem to mind as he now fully rested his hand on your shoulders, his hand wrapping around your arm, tickling you as he traced soft patterns on the exposed skin.

Before you could melt from the intense flutter in your chest that was happening right now, Sehun’s attention was called by Junmyeon, who was sitting on his other side. Sehun turned reluctantly, but didn’t remove his arm around you making you smile under your nose.

You were about to take another bite of your food when you, once again, met Jongdae’s eyes and teasing smirk.

This time you chucked the tomato at him, hitting him straight in the forehead.

He was about to retaliate, but he was stopped abruptly when Jieun leaned in and hissed.

“You deserved that, don’t you dare.”

~

The main courses were coming to an end, and before the cake and cocktails were going to be served, it was announced that the bride will be throwing the bouquet.

All the unmarried girls, with you awkwardly nudged right in the middle, were ushered towards the open space that would later serve as a dance floor.

Everyone was gathered around and watching you as Jieun made her way to the front happily. You nervously scanned the crowd for Sehun until you finally found him on the side, standing between Junmyeon and Minseok. He already had his eyes on you, smiling softly. You made an ugly sad face at him and you saw his smile grow wider as he gave you a sarcastic thumbs up.

You made more ugly faces at him, as he made even more back, making each other laugh. You got so caught up in the exchange, that you completely missed the cue for the bouquet being thrown, until you were suddenly whacked right on your temple with something rather heavy.

You let out a high pitched squeak as the bundle of flowers fell in your hands, open in shock.

Everyone instantly burst out laughing, even the girls around you. You tried laughing as well as you could with one half closed eye and the side of your face throbbing painfully from the hit. You could only pray that nobody caught that on camera.

Jieun gave a happy whoop and a double thumbs up, before loudly grabbing everyone’s attention and announcing the cake cutting is next and will be followed by dancing and the open bar.

The girls around you dispersed and you looked to the side again to see a wide eyed Sehun being enthusiastically patted on the shoulders by the laughing Junmyeon and Minseok. As soon as he met your eyes, however, Sehun started walking towards you, leaving his friends to go on their own.

People around you were now making their way towards the giant cake on the other side of the room, but Sehun just stopped in front of you, eyes still wide. You weren’t sure if it was the shock that he saw you get whacked in the face or the superstitions surrounding the bouquet being caught. He lifted his hands and gently held your face, turning it to the side ever so slightly so he could take a better look.

“Are you okay? Does it hurt a lot?” His voice was quiet, but you could clearly hear him over all the cake excitement happening behind you. Despite the ridiculousness of everything, he hadn’t laughed and his first words were those of concern.

“It’s feels hot and throbbing. Do you think it will bruise?” You asked, looking up at him, your hands clutching at the bouquet.

Sehun carefully caressed the sore spot, smiling gently.

“I’m sure it won’t, but let’s get you some ice just in case.” He held out his hand to you and you slipped your palm in his without hesitation.

You slowly made your way back to your table.

“Maybe we should play some sports next time, so we could work on your coordination and concentration a little bit, because that is definitely not how you catch things you know.” Sehun said suddenly, making you look at him in shock. He was biting his bottom lip, trying not to smile too widely. He glanced at you and it may have been the look on your face, but he instantly burst out laughing.

“You! How dare you?!” You hissed, trying to suppress your own laughter as you started whacking him with the flowers in your hand. This seemed to make Sehun laugh even more, but before you could hit him again he let go of your hand and wrapped his arm around you hugging you close. He pressed you so tightly into him, you could feel his

Please log in to read the full chapter