02 revelations

Her Guardian Angel

“But this is your third ice cream,” Taeyeon whined, forlornly looking at her wallet. After a pointed glare from Sunny, she sighed, giving the remains of her cash to the vendor.

“Thanks, Taengoo. You’re the best!”

“Don’t mention it.” She muttered.

As Sunny sat down in front of her to enjoy the frozen treat, Taeyeon frowned, thinking of the unfruitful week that had just passed before her. Despite their last encounter, Jessica just seemed… distant. No matter how hard she tried, Jessica just didn’t reciprocate with the same amount of enthusiasm that Taeyeon had hoped for.

**

“Jessica!” Taeyeon beamed, increasing her pace so she could catch up. “Hi!”

“Hi.” The blonde slowed. Taeyeon’s heart leapt to , pounding at the fact that she was even acknowledged.

“You’re, um, early today! Excited for math?”

“Sure.” She laughed, the sound reminiscent of bells.

“Do you, uh, wanna come with me to the park after school? We could work on homework.”

“Thanks, but I got something to do later.” The girl seemed sheepish. “Maybe some other time?”

“Oh. Okay.” Taeyeon’s soul sank. “Some other time it is, then.”

**

Some other time. Yeah, right. One after another, those promises added up, always looming yet never fulfilled. It was almost as if Jessica was making excuses just to avoid spending time with her.

“Am I really that bad?” She wondered out loud. In their conversations, Jessica didn’t act like she hated her. She responded normally. Had all the body language that suggested interest. Was she just being nice to avoid hurting her feelings?

Taeyeon moped, resting her head dejectedly in her arms. What a confusing girl.

“Yah, Taeyeon. Lighten up.” Sunny prodded her forearm. “It’s only the first week.”

“And I’ve made about zero progress.”

“You two just don’t know each other that well yet.”

Taeyeon glowered. “Or she just doesn’t want to talk to me.”

“She could be one of those shy types. Not everyone is as straightforward as you are, Taeng.”

“I guess you’re right.” Taeyeon sighed, hating how logical the other could be at times. “What about you? Find anything good on Jessica?

“Not yet. She’s not exactly the most open person. All I got so far is that she has a younger sister.”

“That’s it?”

“Well, I could go a little faster if you bought me another week’s worth of ice cream.” Sunny’s eyebrows waggled.

“As if I needed another reason to empty my wallet.” Taeyeon deadpanned, unamused. “What about Yuri? She must have accomplished something with Tiffany, at least.”

“Uh…” The younger girl coughed, looking at the ground. “Actually, she’s not doing too hot. It’s kind of sad.”

“You’re kidding.”

“I wish. Yuri’s devastated,” Sunny shook her head, sadly scooping at her ice cream. “I mean, she’s used almost everything in her arsenal. Cheesy pick-up lines. The old ‘I accidently bumped into you so let me pick up your books and make googly eyes at you’ trick. That girl just won’t respond.”

Taeyeon exhaled, staring down at her hands. Out of the trio, Yuri had the most experience, the most charm for attracting women. The fact that Tiffany didn’t even show a hint of interest in her… did it mean that she already fell for someone?

No. Taeyeon refused to think about that. Even the possibility that Tiffany and Jessica might become an item made her face flush in anger.

“Maybe she just needs to try something else!” Sunny hastily broke the silence, seeing the expression on Taeyeon’s face. “You, out of all people, got a hold of her. What was that like, Taeng?”

“Well…”

**

Flickering her eyes nervously, she held the bouquet of pink close to her chest, trying her best not to crush the flowers. Her heart fluttered wildly around her ribcage, aching to to unite with the girl who was the only focus of her attention:

Tiffany.

Concealing the roses behind her back, Taeyeon slowly approached the girl under the tree.

“F-Fany,” Taeyeon stammered, “I need to tell you something.”

“Hm?” A book closed, revealing the warm eye-smiles that never failed to make Taeyeon melt. “What is it, Tae?”

She took a deep breath. “I know your favorite color’s pink and Valentine’s day is coming up so I got you some flowers but I couldn’t really get the expensive ones so then I--”

“Whoa, slow down, Taengoo. What are you trying to say?”

Taeyeon gulped, bringing the flowers out.

It was now or never.

“D-do you wanna go out with me sometime?”

The high pitched squeal and bone-crushing hug that followed was all the confirmation she needed.

**

“Wow.” Sunny grimaced. “Seriously?”

“That’s how it happened!”

“And I’m surprised at how the both of you didn’t get diabetes. That was the cheesiest thing I’ve ever heard.”

“Shut up. You asked for the story.” Taeyeon scowled. “It was romantic and it worked, alright?”

“Yeah, yeah. I don’t doubt you.” Sunny leaned back, temporarily lost in thought. “So, after that, you two dated?”

“Yup. Went great for about half a year. Then we just didn’t click anymore, I guess.” Taeyeon shrugged. “Stuff happens.”

“I’m surprised that you’re so neutral about it.”

“I had a lot of time to think it through. Can we go back to talking about Yuri, please?”

Sunny eyed the other girl, deciding not to push the matter any further. “Sure. Romance, right?”

“Right. What I was trying to say before was that Tiffany needs to know that you’re… committed. Clever one-liners and cheap tricks can only work for so long before she stops being interested, you know? She needs more.”

“More, as in…”

“A declaration of love. A poem. A song. Something from the heart.”

Sunny snorted. “Do you really think she can give her any of that? It’s Yuri we’re talking about, here. Yuri. As in the person who can barely write her own name, let alone a poem.”

“Then we’ll help her. This is important, Sunny. If I’m going to have any chance with Jessica, Tiffany has to be as far away as possible so I can--”

“I get it, I get it! We’re giving you space for your big plan. You don’t need to say it twice.” Sunny grumbled, moving to toss her finished carton into the trash. “Let’s go pay Yuri a visit, then. It’s not like I have anything else to do.”

“Glad to see you’re on board.” Taeyeon brought out her keys, twirling them on her pointer finger. “Ready to go?”

“Whatever.”

“Good. We can talk more in the car.”

**

A tan girl surrounded by cartons of food lazed on a navy couch, wing in hand. In the background, the TV ran, serving as ambient noise for the haven she built up in the past few hours. She was in her home, safe from the outside world, safe from rejection.

Safe, at least, until this moment.

Knock, knock, knock.

Whipping her head back, Yuri stared at the door, indignant. The door stared back. Wiping her hands on her shirt, she turned back around, deciding to ignore the noise. Stupid neighbors.

KNOCK. KNOCK.

The frame shook, rattled by the fury of the people on the other side.

“God damn it,” Yuri groaned, dragging herself away from her pile of takeout. Disgruntled, she flung open the door, unsurprised to see the two gremlins she had been trying to avoid all day.

“Ever heard of a doorbell?”

“Don’t think I have.” Sunny smirked.

“We need to talk.” Taeyeon interrupted. “We’re gonna have a meeting. And it’s gonna be right here, in your house.”

“Taeng, I’m not in the mood.”

“Well, that’s too bad.” Sticking a foot in so she couldn’t close the door, Taeyeon slipped inside. Sunny trailed right behind, ignoring Yuri’s increasing complaints.

“Yah, this is an invasion of privacy! Get out.”

“Not until you hear the plan.”

“What? I already got my own plan. You can’t just suddenly come in and tell me what to do, expecting me to-- ”

Taeyeon glared at her, instantly silencing her protests. “Listen. Sunny and I have talked about this whole situation and we went over some ideas. Compared with the rest of your ‘flirting’, these actually have a chance of working on Tiffany.”

Yuri snorted. “So now I’m being lectured by the two goblins on how to romance a girl? No thanks. I told you, it’s all good.”

“Look at yourself!” Taeyeon pointed at the greasy, discarded cartons littering the ground. “I knew the situation was bad but this? Kwon Yuri, you call this being ‘all good’?”

“Well, I don’t see you making any progress with Jessica, so you’re not one to talk!

Sunny slapped her forehead, ears ringing from the bickering. “Both of you, shut up. Yuri, you have five seconds. Do you like Tiffany or not?”

Yuri blinked. “Yes.”

“How much?”

“A lot more than I thought,” She admitted, bowing her head to hide her burning cheeks.

“Then listen to us.” Sunny crossed her arms. “We’re trying to help you, Yul. As much as it may seem like Taeyeon is trying to kill you, she’s not. It doesn’t hurt to let go of your pride once in a while.”

The three stared at each other in silence. Defeated, Yuri slinked back to her couch and flopped on the cushions. “... Fine. You got me. What’s your brilliant plan?”

“Well,” Taeyeon looked at Sunny. “It all starts with a bit of poetry.”

**

“This is stupid.” Yuri pressed her head against her keyboard. “It’s been two hours, guys. Can we take a break?”

“Not until we find something.” Taeyeon was sprawled out on the ground, looking at Yuri’s spare laptop. “How about this one by Hwang Jini?”

“Too old-fashioned.”

“Seo Jungju?”

“Everyone already knows his poems!”

“You know, for someone who can’t write, you sure are picky.” Sunny complained, munching through the last of the chicken. “Just choose something.”

“I can’t help that none of these words fit how I feel,” Yuri mumbled.

“Then you write something, genius!”

“You and I both know how that’ll go.”

“Wait a minute… Pablo Neruda!” Taeyeon exclaimed, sitting up. “Here’s someone we haven’t looked at yet. You like?” She flipped her screen, excitedly showing it to Yuri. Yuri squinted.

“One hundred… love... sonnets?”

“Just bought the book for you. You can thank me later.”

“With what? My credit card?” Yuri glared at the shorter girl. “Are you kidding me?”

“I read the reviews. They looked promising. Plus, it has an English translation.”

“But I can’t even read most of these words!”

“Ask Tiffany for help.” Taeyeon winked.

“Kim Taeyeon, you better cancel the order or else--”

“Come on, think about it! I set you up perfectly. Instead of just finding a random poem or verse, you could learn what love really means with Tiffany. Just say that the book is for a class and ask her to tutor you. Then, when you’re together after school… bam! You’re on the way to being married with six kids.” Taeyeon high-fived herself. “Incredible, right?”

Yuri hesitated. “I mean, if you put it that way...“

“Are we done?” Sunny yawned, rubbing her eyes. “It’s already dark. You can send me home, right, Taeng?”

“Wait a min--”

“Yeah. We can go now, if you want.”

“Guys!” Yuri blurted, frustrated. The two had already begun to pack up, with Taeyeon donning a rather impressive bubble jacket as she reached for the front door. “Are you just going to leave me with a book that I can’t even--”

Slam.

Yuri groaned. “Yah! You’re all seriously the worst!”

**

Finally, she was home. Done with sending Sunny back. Done with helping Yuri. Done with talking so much.

After a brief exchange between her and her parents, Taeyeon ran past her family, opting instead to flop onto the giant Totoro she had laying on her bed. As much as she liked to chat with her buddies, Taeyeon was a true introvert at heart; the countless arguing combined with her tiring week had taken a lot out of her and she couldn’t wait until she slipped under the silky, smooth covers of leisure.

“I missed you, mattress. You too, Totoro.” Taeyeon planted a kiss on the gray creature’s ear. Home, sweet home. She ducked under the blankets, taking laptop with her. Even if Taeyeon hated math with a passion, she still found other subjects to be important. If she were to get into a college of any semblance of respect, she had to work.

And work she did.

Time passed. As the clock ticked, the rest of her house slipped into a state of inactivity, filled with the sounds of slumber. Taeyeon had lost track of how many times she had read the same line in the past hour, instead opting to close her eyes. Just ten minutes, she told herself. And then she’ll finish her essay. That wasn’t too much to ask for, right?

Tap. Tap.

Taeyeon dreamed of golden hair and cats, a dopey smile on her face. Her laptop lid was closed, leaving her in quiet darkness.

Tap.

She opened one eye hesitantly. Must be the wind, Taeyeon thought, promptly resuming her nap.

Taptaptaptaptap

Throwing her covers off, Taeyeon looked wildly around the room, hunting for the source of the noise. The clock on her nightstand read 1:28 a.m.

“Who’s there?” Taeyeon whispered, sliding out of bed. Her eyes had adjusted to the dark, allowing her to move around without tripping. Forget about the homework; there was something outside at an ungodly hour. That could only mean bad things.

Cautiously, Taeyeon made her way towards the window, holding her breath. A variety of possibilities ran through her mind. A caught branch. A lost bird. Some weirdo from school, clawing at the glass. Taeyeon shuddered at the last image. What could it be?

With trembling hands, she pulled the curtains back. There was only one way to find out.

“Jessica?” She gasped, taken aback by the blinding sight.

 


Thank you for the great initial response! You guys are awesome :O Hopefully I delivered this chapter well, despite some issues that I had with pacing. First fic so I'm still learning the ropes.

On a side note, critiques/comments are always welcome. I love hearing your feedback and your reactions so don't be afraid! I'll try not to bite. 

See ya next chapter!