third page: nightmare.

The Missing Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

June 20, 2009

 

It's the best Summer ever! Like seriously, Dad allows me to go to a trip with my best friend. He usually declines when I ask for something like this. But maybe a comet hit his head or something yesterday. Still, I should be grateful.

Jaebum, though, asks me that if I still seeing him. I tell him that I don't, of course. He might kill me if he know the truth. He is so egoist. Does he honestly think I don't know that he and her have behind me? I'm good enough to let it pass and still accept him for who he is, rather than forbid him to do this and that.

God, if only I don't like him very much, I'll surely dump him since the first day.

 

×××

 

“Wait, tell me it's not right, Soojung. Jinri‒ she can't be dead.”

Soojung only sobbed quietly and Sehun felt dizzy.

He placed a hand on her shoulder gently. “Hey, Soojung, where is she now?”

“I‒I don't know...” She hiccupped. “Junmyeon didn't tell me where he is now.”

He took a deep breath to calm his nerves. Soojung really needed his support at this moment. He took her phone in her hand and placed it onto the desk. He reached out his hand to hers again and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

“I'll take care of our absence letter while you call Junmyeon and ask where we can meet him, alright?”

She nodded obediently and he quickly ran out from the classroom. He headed toward the infirmary and explained that Soojung's family had an urgent situation. Thanks to his good reputation, the nurse did not ask him in detail and just gave him the passing ticket.

When he back, Soojung was still there and she already packed up their belonging. He sauntered over to her and thanked her silently. She was so much calmer than a minute ago.

“Do you have the address?”

“Yeah.”

He tilted his head. “Are you ready to go?”

“You don't have to accompany me, Sehun. I know you're a role model student. Your perfect attendance is going to be ruined if you skip school.”

Truthfully, he did not really think about his well‒maintained flawless attendance. In fact, nothing seemed to flash in his brain at the very moment. If she had not mentioned about it, then he would not even aware it.

He then narrowed his eyes. “Did Jinri tell you or was it Jongin?”

She shook her head softly, the corner of her lips curled up slightly. “I have my own source.” She stood up and took the passing ticket from his hand but he would not let her. She glared at him. “Sehun, it's fine. I'm emotionally stable right now.”

“What if I choose to come with you?” He challenged her. One of his brows rose skeptically. “I'm Jinri's best friend and I know your secret too.”

She snorted but seeing the determination on his eyes, she finally accepted his idea.

She sighed. “Fine, but can you promise me not to tell your friends about it?”

“Only if you explain it to me thoroughly,” He offered lightly.

He thought Soojung would complain about it, heck, she had every right to keep it on her own since Sehun asked something way too personal. He only realized how stalker‒ish he sounded a moment ago and now began to regret it. But much to his shock, she agreed easily.

“Deal.”

He took his bag and slung it on his shoulder. Soojung also carried her bag and followed him outside.

“We can't be seen together like this by anyone, Sehun. Everyone knows I'm Jongin's girlfriend.”

He rolled his eyes. “Are you trying to brag about him to me?”

“I'm not.” She paused and pulled Sehun by his arm to nearest room she could find. It were narrow and dark and cramped. Their bodies pressed against each other.

“Why are we hiding in Janitor's closet?” Sehun asked her innocently.

She blushed at their close proximity. “I think I saw Jinyoung and Jaebum outside. Sorry, it's really uncomfortable, maybe we can go out‒”

He stopped her just in time when Jinyoung's laugh sounded right on the other side of the door. His hand held hers tightly out of reflex.

“God, that was dangerous. Let's wait a bit more, Soojung.”

She blinked, her face felt hot as she did not have much experience with boys. The only boy she had been close with was Jongin. She cursed herself inwardly for being this nervous.

“Do you hear anything?” He asked her, ear glued on the door and motioned her to do the same. So she did and when it was clear that no one outside, he nodded to her and opened the door.

With a few more hiding in the nearest hiding place they could manage, they finally arrived safely at Sehun's black BMW.

 

×××

 

Sehun parked his car and turn off the engine. The journey to the hospital where Jinri's body examined had been silent ride. Soojung was looking outside the window while spacing out and Sehun's brain trying to process all the information he got.

“We're here.” He announced to her.

She blinked and turned to him. He stared at her and motioned her to open the door. He could see that she was nervous about seeing Jinri's corpse because he was just as nervous as she did.

Junmyeon told her that they were in the private section of the hospital, where it always used as an autopsy room for an important case. Sehun walked in ease with his long legs meanwhile Soojung had to keep up with him.

“Soojung, finally you're here.” Junmyeon stood up as soon as she entered the room. His eyes then moved onto Sehun's tall figure beside her and frowned. “Why is he here, Soojung?”

She pursed her lips and shrugged. “I'll tell you later. Where did you find Jinri's body?”

Junmyeon casted a look and tilted his head. “We'll talk about it later. For now, please follow me.”

They entered a smaller room and Soojung paused when she saw her stepmother was already there, glaring at her with so much venom with her bloodshot eyes.

“I bet you're happy, don't you?” She snapped and Junmyeon gave her a hard look. “Not here, Mrs. Choi.”

Sehun who clueless was glancing between the girl beside him and the woman he recognized as Jinri's mother. He met her often at his father colleague parties and never he knew that she could be this mad. She usually was a woman with warm smile and had so much adoration to her baby girl.

“Let's wait for your father and I'll go into the details.” Junmyeon spoke after a long silence and sat beside Miran.

“Let's sit, Soojung.” Sehun pushed her back softly and she finally moved to sit across Miran. He could sense how tensed she was now.

“Where is Mr. Choi right now?” He asked Junmyeon in low whisper. He could not handle the suffocating air inside the room.

Junmyeon watched the time on his phone. “Maybe in fifteen minutes. Hey, listen, I need your favor. I have to go out for a second, promise me to secure these two women. I'll go back as soon as possible.”

He nodded and Junmyeon cleared his throat. “Now if you excuse me.”

He left the room and Sehun was too fast in thinking that Choi Miran could hold her temper.

“Are you sure you want the investigation to keep going, Soojung?” She stared at Soojung darkly. “Won't it be so much easier to surrender yourself now?”

Soojung rolled her eyes. “How many times do I need to tell you that I didn't do this, Mom?”

Miran launched herself at Soojung, pulled her hair hard and she yelped in pain. “Don't you dare to call me Mom! I'm not your mother, you ungrateful !”

Sehun's eyes widened at the sudden attack and quickly pried the woman away from the poor girl. “Aunt Miran, please don't do this now. Jinri won't be happy.”

“What do you know about my daughter? Her so called best friend who didn't even there to save her when she was dying!” She pushed him away and turned to look at him. “Where were you when my Jinri was dying?!”

“Why are you blaming this on everyone, Miran?” Soojung furrowed her brows. “You're not even there when your own daughter went missing.”

“What are you talking about now?!”

“It's true! You went to club that night and then what, I guess you go around and sleep with other millionaire just to satisfy your ego, didn't you?”

Miran looked even angrier when Soojung finished her word. Luckily, Sehun was there to catch her when she lurched forward to Soojung for the second time.

“Am I wrong?” Soojung challenged her, now stepping closer to Miran. “If you think I'm going to sit around and obey your order like the old times, you're wrong. Jinri is also precious to me and I'm feeling sorry that you just had to be her mother.”

“Stop!” Miran yelled loudly and started to sob. Sehun released her slowly and she fell on the ground. “Stop, please stop.”

Soojung took a deep breath and turned away. Hot tears threatened to fall anytime soon and she would not show it to Miran or Sehun. The last thing she wanted them to know that how weak she was.

Sehun stood there quietly, not knowing what to do. He always had been a er in consoling crying woman and he did not want to make the condition worse. He cursed at Junmyeon for leaving him here alone.

 

×××

 

According to Junmyeon, Jinri's body was found inside a cheap apartment that located one hour away from the main city and under a name of Sulli.

“Sehun, I need you to cooperate with me since you basically volunteer yourself to know.” Junmyeon stated at him, Soojung who sat beside Sehun glanced at him. “Do you know anything about this place?”

Sehun looked calm when he shook his head and mumbled a small I don't know.

Miran and her father gone back home ten minutes ago after Junmyeon told them about Jinri's case details and Sehun stayed there with Soojung to discuss about the case more.

“Then, in your group,” The oldest paused to look at Sehun's expression. “Who is the one living the nearest to that place?”

“As far as I recalled, Jinri's apartment located so far from the city. But if I have to say, then it must be Jinyoung. His house is twenty minutes far from Jinri's place.”

“Jinyoung, huh?” Junmyeon took a file with Jinyoung's name on it. “He is clean from any accusation. He has a perfect alibi, together with you.”

“Jinyoung is a good person.” Soojung chimed in. “He warmly greeted me on my first day of school.”

“Can I ask you something?” Sehun asked Junmyeon and he shrugged. “Of course,”

“Then, who is the most suspicious among us?”

“From my recent interrogation...it's Sooji. But Jaebum is kind of fishy too.”

“How about Jongin, Seulgi and Seungwan?” He added.

“Jongin almost had a perfect alibi but we can't be sure that he was home after the party at Sooji's house because he lives alone at his apartment and there was no CCTV to support that. As for Seulgi and Seungwan, the two are clear from any charges because they have no motive for killing Jinri.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter