Butterflies

A Cup of Sugar and Spice

“Oh hey Seokjin. I see you’ve met Holly.”

 

Seokjin looks down at the Holly, hoping to hide the flustered look on his face. Seokjin had been practicing for this moment. He would see Yoongi and apologize. A week ago he would have confidently been able to apologize, heck he had even practiced what he would say in front of the mirror. What he wasn’t prepared for the subtle pink hue decorating Yoongi’s cheeks. Or how the sunlight accentuated his soft features in a way the dingy elevator light from two weeks ago could only dream of.

 

“So who’s this little fella?”

 

Seokjin snaps out of his daze, looking back a Yoongi. His neighbor is crouched down next to Jjangu, showering the small dog with affection. The Yoongi next to him seems nothing like the one he met that night. The harsh glare was replaced with a soft gaze and slight smile, and Seokjin is having a hard time processing the information. It’s when Yoongi looks at him, that Seokjin realized he hasn’t answered his neighbor’s question.

 

“Oh! Um this is m-my dog, Jjangu”, he replies, cursing himself for stuttering.

 

It’s at this point that Seokjin realizes it’s his chance to finally apologize. It’s been two weeks since the incident, and the last thing Seokjin wants is for the never-ending cycle of awkward tension with Yoongi to continue. Yoongi may not feel it but Seokjin sure as hell does.

 

“Hey Yoongi, about what happened. I’m so sorry, I panicked and I- well I’m sorry”.

 

Seokjin attempted to look anywhere but at Yoongi, but the silence coming from his neighbor was enough to make him look in his direction.

 

Yoongi looked slightly amused, but it was enough to put Seokjin at ease.

 

 

“It’s okay Seokjin. You don’t seem like the guy who goes around hitting people in the face on a daily basis. I kinda figured it was an accident.”

 

So, Yoongi wasn’t mad (thank god).

 

They turned their attention back to the their dogs, who seemed to be getting along quite well, if the rough housing wasn’t a clear enough sign.

 

“I didn’t even know you had a dog. He is awfully quite.” Seokjin stated.

 

At this point he wanted to break the ice. He knew nothing about Yoongi, but he sure as hell wasn’t going to be remembered as the neighbor who hit him in the face.

 

“Holly tends to be quite. I’ve actually never seen him this excited. Good thing we happened to meet up here. I didn’t know about this place until recently”.

 

Before Seokjin can continue their conversation. A small noise comes from Yoongi’s watch. Yoongi’s eyes widen as he looks down at the message that pops up from the small screen.

 

“Crap, I gotta go. I have a job interview. Holly come here”.

 

Yoongi tries to clip on Holly’s leash with little success. Holly is too busy trying to chase Jjjangu and it’s at that point that Seokjin decides he should probably help out. He gets up to clip his leash onto Jjangu’s collar and surprisingly is able to get it done in one try (miracles do happen). This helps Yoongi out because he finally manages to keep Holly in place and clip on his leash.

 

What neither of them expect is the sudden burst of energy from the two dogs. Apparently, Jjangu and Holly weren’t done playing yet. They began to chase one another, in complete joy as the leashes started to wind around their helpless owner’s ankles.

 

 

“Jjangu! Hey you little- stop!”

 

“Holly sit! Wait, Holly-!”

 

Neither of them was ready, letting out simultaneous gasps as they lost their balance. They fell sideways as they attempted to hold on to each other for balance. Seokjin closed his eyes as he felt his body make contact with the grass beneath him. It wasn’t a hard fall, which he was thankful for. He opened his eyes and was shocked to see Yoongi next him staring right back. He looked just as dumbfounded as Seokjin was, but he was the first to break the silence.

 

His stoic expression changed and soon enough he had started laughing. Seokjin just watched in silence. It was his first time seeing Yoongi laugh but he really hoped it wouldn’t be his last. Maybe it was something about the way his gums showed when he smiled or maybe the way his eyes crinkled but Seokjin wanted to take a snapshot and ingrain it in his memory. At one point there were tears coming out of Yoongi’s eyes from laughing so hard, and that was enough for Seokjin to start laughing along with him.

 

“Here let me help you up”, Yoongi said as he gasped for air, attempting to compose himself. Once he sat up and patted himself off, he helped pull Seokjin up. Seokjin stayed relatively quiet, letting out a soft thanks as his neighbor helped him up. By this point, their two dogs had settle down, watching their owners get up.

 

“Okay well that was unexpected” Seokjin said once they had both stopped laughing.

 

“Okay now I really have to go or else I’m dead meat. This was fun. Maybe we can do this again sometime? Letting our dogs play, not the falling of course.”

 

Seokjin blames the fit of laughter for his slightly elevated heart rate but at this point he isn’t so sure anymore. The words get caught up in his throat so instead he gives a nod.

 

“Cool, see you later. Come on Holly, let’s go”, Yoongi smiles in Seokjin’s direction one more time, waving goodbye as he jogs off. Seokjin stands there, trying to tell himself the weird feeling in the pit of his stomach is just hunger.

 

 

 

He spends an extra hour with Jjangu at the park, enjoying the feeling of being outside. Once he sees Jjangu is ready for a good snooze, he decides to head back. As he steps inside his apartment he sees two pairs of shoes, which can only mean one thing.

 

“Jin!”

 

Soon he is enveloped in the warm embrace that only someone like Jimin could possess.

 

“Hey bud! Have fun at the mall?”

 

Jimin finally lets go of Jin so he can look up at him.

 

“You bet we did! Jungkook bought super smash brothers and I’m about to kick his , wanna come watch?”

 

“Hey!” Jungkook yells from the couch, “The first round was just luck!”

 

“Sure I’ll watch, but only if I get to play next” Seokjin says with a soft smile. Living on his own had its perks but it was moments like these that made him miss being back home.

 

As he makes himself comfortable on the couch, Jungkook shifts his attention from the menu screen on the tv to Jin. “So how was the park?”

 

 

Seokjin smiles as he remembers the past two hours he spent at the park. “It was good, I ran into Yoongi while I was there”.

 

“Oh, how was that?”, Jungkook asks curiously, quietly observing the fond look on his brother’s face.

 

“It was really nice”, Seokjin replies.

 

He may tell his brother and Jimin a lot of things, but the butterflies he felt seeing Yoongi was definitely not one of them.