FXXK Fridays

A Cup of Sugar and Spice

Fridays meant two things to Seokjin: a closing shift at work and the pleasant (not) arrival of his little of a brother for the weekend. According to the clock on his nightstand, it was 10:30am. If it were any other day of the week he would have been able to sleep in, but alas, it’s Friday. Fridays.

Instead of getting up, he laid in bed quietly; listening for any distinguishing voices or sounds. The apartment was relatively quiet; his dog’s paws padding across the hardwood floors being the only thing he hears. His brother should have been there by now, but he’s not complaining. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise? Maybe Jungkook wasn’t going to show up! Maybe he could slee-

“Hey Jin, you awake yet?”

It was too good to be true. With a heavy sigh, Seokjin rolled out of bed and made his way out of the room to greet his brother.

His back screamed in protest as he raised himself upright. He was still sore from his previous shift at work. At least he remembered to close his bedroom door this time. The last thing Seokjin needed was Jungkook jumping on him in an attempt to wake him up again (the last time he did Seokjin strained a muscle in his back. Jungkook just laughed…. What an ). He probably shouldn’t have given his brother an extra key to his apartment, but oh well, what’s done is done.

By the time Seokjin finished regretting some of his choices in life and walked out of his bedroom, Jungkook was already sitting at the small kitchen island, staring down at his phone doing who knows what. Jungkook is 5 years younger than him, but most people can’t really tell because according to their parents, they both act like they are 5. Seokjin would argue their parents’ statement, but they kind of have a point(though he hates to admit it). Jungkook still lives at home with their parents, but when Friday rolls around, he packs his bags and heads for Seokjin’s apartment. His brother claims it’s just to bug him for the weekend, but Seokjin has his suspicions that his younger brother can’t admit he misses him. 

“It’s about time!” Jungkook pouted with feigned annoyance as he saw Seokjin’s bare feet lazily pad past his seat. “I’m starving” Jungkook added as he whined, patting his stomach for emphasis.

“You know, you could make your own food”, Seokjin replied.

“I could, but what you make is much better”, Jungkook cheaply rebutted as he gave his brother a thumbs up. He proceeded to flash his older brother the best smile he could come up with; the kind of smile that accentuated his eye smile and that Seokjin (or anyone for that matter) could never say no to.

Accepting defeat, Seokjin made his way to the old white fridge located in the corner of the kitchen. The fridge has seen better days, with one door handle loose and the other door giving out a wretched creak every time it was opened, but it still works. He had bought it for a steal and if it still worked he wasn’t about to throw it out for a new one. There were bills to pay and it would be nice not to add another one to his current expenses.

He had decided to move out of his family’s home about two years ago. His father accepted his decision wholeheartedly. His mother on the other hand was a little harder to convince.Seokjin could write out a long tedious list of the reasons as to why he wanted to move out, but there was one reason he hadn’t shared with anybody, not even Jungkook. 

A small bark pulled him out of his thoughts. He looked down to see his dog Jjangu pulling at the end of his pjs. Jjangu had turned 14 years old recently; he was practically a living fossil. For being so old, Jjangu sure was an active fellow and if he was hungry he would let everyone around him know.

“You might want to feed Jjangu too, the poor thing has to wait for your lazy to get up every morning”, Jungkook teased as he returned his attention to his phone.

“Do you want food or not?”
The statement alone was enough to shut Jungkook up.

By the time Seokjin was done making food for the both of them, it was 11:30am. Probably not the best time to be having the first meal of the day but what can you do? The delicious smell of applewood smoked bacon and sunny side up eggs wafted through the air. As Seokjin set the plates down on his small wooden kitchen island, he could see Jungkook drooling at the sight. His younger brother reached for one of the plates with haste and quickly began to eat. Although Seokjin was hungry, he looked over at his brother with a fond expression.

Jungkook was a pain in the most of the time, but he was a good kid. Not the brightest, but he was ambitious, which was something Seokjin lacked. Seokjin isn’t sure where the time has gone. It seems like it was just yesterday that Jungkook was much shorter than him, following him around like a little duckling and flashing his cute little bunny toothed smile at everyone. Now his brother was a tall, confident (maybe a little too confident), young man. Seokjin was so lost in his thoughts he hadn’t realized his brother was talking. Luckily he was able to catch the last part of the conversation, but it wasn’t something he wanted to hear. 

“Dude, aren’t you gonna be late for work?”

Seokjin’s head snapped up to look at the clock. 11:50am. .

*****
By the time he was done wiping down tables and putting up chairs at the small cafe, it was almost 10pm. A little later than he would usually stay, but the café had been in disarray after such a busy Friday. As Seokjin locked the double doors of the café and started his walk home, he recalled today’s events. Work wasn’t too bad he supposed. Well, there were those teenage girls asking questions that were a little too personal (his love life has nothing to do with café lattes and chai tea). Everything else at work was pretty much the same; the dim lights, the smell of roasted coffee beans, the small talk between patrons. The café was walking distance from his apartment complex, a good 15 minutes or so. Not many people were out at this hour and the quiet atmosphere helped him think, or over think if he was being honest with himself. Seokjin was 25 years old, and had no idea what he wanted in life yet. Sure, working as a waiter in a cute little café was great, but for how long? What would he do next? Seokjin wasn’t sure how to answer any of the questions that clouded his mind, and the silence wasn’t making it any easier.

Maybe it was because he was so lost in his own thoughts or maybe he was just oblivious, but for the first time throughout his walk, he realized his footsteps weren’t the only ones he was hearing. Gaining some courage (the little he had at the moment), he cautiously turned his head, peeking slightly over his shoulder.

He felt a shiver run down his body as he saw a man walking a couple of feet behind him. The man had a short build and was dressed in black from head to toe, his heavy boots making a distinct thump as he walked. Seokjin couldn’t see his face clearly; the streetlights were dim and the man slouched as he walked. Seokjin didn’t stop walking. Why would he? There was a creep following him and he had no idea what to do. No amount of crime shows prepared him for this. He might be overreacting. Who knows; maybe the man will make his way onto another street soon?

The problem is that the man doesn’t. The minutes pass and the man continues walking behind him, always a couple of feet away. Seokjin tries to keep his heartbeat steady and his posture composed as he continues to walk. He lets out a relieved sigh as he starts to see the red brick buildings that can only mean one thing: he is almost home.

Peeking behind him once more, Seokjin sees the figure is still following him. Think Seokjin think!! he says to himself. He could just run to his apartment complex, but then this creep would know where he lives. At this point, sweat is starting to collect on his brow out of the fear he feels. He tightens his grip on the strapless leather satchel in his right hand. The loud footsteps continue behind him, and he knows he needs to do something.

Seokjin isn’t sure if it was pure fear or adrenaline, but as he turns the corner to head in the direction of his apartment building, he stops, turns around, and swings his bag. Hard.
His eyes were closed, but he is pretty sure the bag made contact, if the pained grunt he hears is anything to go by.

“Jin!”

Seokjin opens his eyes and turns his attention back in the direction of the apartment complex, where he sees Jungkook, clad in orange haikyu pajamas (where the hell did he even get those?) running in his direction.

“Oh my god are you okay?” Jungkook said, attempting to catch his breath. Seokjin let out a relieved sigh. He knew he could count on his brother at times like these.

“Yeah, I’m fine. This creep was followi-”

“Not you ,” interrupted Jungkook exasperatedly. “Yoongi!”

Wait…...what?

Jungkook swiftly passed by Seokjin to crouch down next to the man who was kneeling on the ground, clutching his now bloody nose in pain.

“Yoongi?”, Seokjin questioned.

His brother looked up at him like he had just grown a third head.

“Yeah. Yoongi. Your new neighbor? The one we talked about this morning?”

“………….”

“You weren’t listening this morning, were you?”

Seokjin could lie and say he was, but given the current situation it probably wouldn’t be a good idea. His face paled as he looked down at the man named Yoongi, and realized what he had done. He had just hit his new neighbor. With a bag. In the face.

Fridays.