~14~

Sharing the Spotlight

I couldn’t concentrate on anything, standing backstage. The tech people reminded me again how I would need to switch on my mic after my solo and I just nodded. Sure, I’d turn it on. If my voice was even working at that point.

The stage was completely dark. My cue to get into position so no one could see me. I walked to the center and sat down into my starting position, my arm supporting me in my leaned position. There were flickering fan lights in the audience and the room never seemed bigger than at this moment. The lights were still low when it began. The prerecorded whisper of Eunji’s “N-Tox…” signaling who was on.

Cheers erupted but quickly died down when the music began and the lights slowly came on. I closed my eyes as I began my starting soft movements, which mostly consisted of moving my head and free arm. The first hard beat hit in the music gave the false effect of dragging my body in an upright position so I was now on my knees. My body movements were less restricted with having my whole upper body available. The harder tone beats would interject the soft tone music and each one would result in a jerky motion from my body. Soon the routine led me to my feet, the tone of the song almost entirely beat driven now and none of my movements were restricted any longer. I placed all my trust in the music and continued the routine I worked so hard on. The pace picked up quickly and by the end it was faster than ever, before abruptly cutting out, where I held my ending pose frozen. I heard loud cheers everywhere and I dropped my position, starting to walk backwards where I would rejoin my group for our two songs, turning on my mic.

The first song went off without a hitch. It was always a fan favorite with its showy and complex dance. They made an extended intro for our second song so we would have time to prepare. I reached up to my ponytail and tried to find the place to unclasp it. I searched but couldn’t find it, nearly panicking. I resorted to slowly sliding it off my hair instead. I tried to make an emphasis of it, like it was part of the plan. When my hair was finally released I flipped it once with my head and led into a body roll. Thank god for the intro extension… The second dance went well too and it was finally over, ending with lots of screaming from the audience.

The next thing I knew we were all in one big group hug, sighing out in relief.

Yejin looked at me. “You did amazing!” I smiled widely.

“Oh my god, it was so good! I only got to see your dance once before!” Jina added.

“Thank-“

“I was freaking out when your hair wasn’t working! But you made it work.” Eunji pulled at my hair beside me.

I smiled at all of them. They knew how nervous I was, I was grateful to have such awesome groupmates.

“Guys we all did amazing,” Sunmi beamed at us, “Trust me, I’d know.” She joked, since she was usually in the back for the dances. We all laughed and hugged again.

“Come on! Let’s hurry up and get back!” Jina urged us.

Yejin led us back to our seats. We couldn’t keep the smiles off our faces the whole way. When we passed BTS they were all smiling at us and pretending to clap some more. We bowed to them and sat back down.

I didn’t even think about Jimin until I felt his head near the side of mine. I instinctively turned my head to the side slightly on accident. “Good job,” I heard him speak softly. And despite my attitude towards him, I couldn’t help but smile a little.


A/N: Omg... all of you commenting are just the best <3 You don't even know how happy I get seeing them! Reading the new ones somehow makes me super excited with you guys. Then I remember that I already know what's gonna happen... so I just smile evilly. Yeah, your author-nim is a little weird. Then again, we're all reading english romantic fanfiction about Korean pop idols so I think we are past that point... Back to the point, thank you for the wonderful comments!