March, 28 | 21

89 - 96

           “Good evening, this is Tablo’s Dreaming Radio and I’m your DJ Tablo. Today, we have two amazing guests with us. One guest I’ve known for more than 10 years; I’ve watched him grow from teenager to adult and watch him steadily overcome his struggles and achieve his dreams as a singer. Do you guys have a clue who I’m talking about?”

            Short giggles were heard from the guest who was sitting right of Tablo. The camera stays on Tablo, keeping the guest’s identity a secret.

            “And our other guest many people may not recognize her, but I’m a true fan of her work and respect her as an artist. If you hear her name you’ll all have that ‘a-ha’ moment, but she hasn’t revealed her face too much, which adds to the mystery of ‘who are you?’”

            Tablo giggles as he looks to the guest sitting to his left. She shifts in her chair, nervously smiling with her head down. The other guest sitting across from her looks at her and smirks.

            “We’ll introduce our guests after the commercial, so please stick around until then!”

            The red ‘ON-AIR’ light turns off as well as the mics. Tablo removes his headphones and places them in front of him. He grabs the water next to his monitor and swifts the water in his mouth. The female guest touches the script in front of her, confused when she has to say her lines and wondering if she has to read the whole script word-by-word instead of just free talking, but she didn’t ask.

            On the other hand, the male guest is comfortable, having close to 10 years of experience in a radio, though he wasn’t a DJ or producer.

            “MyoungEun, are you nervous?” asks Tablo.

            MyoungEun looks up at Tablo with a nervous smile and taps her fingers against the board of her seat. She plays around with the paper and lets out a short breath with a smile.

            “I think I’m okay, but do I have to recite this whole script word-by-word?”

            Tablo giggles at her cute worry and briskly informs her that she doesn’t.

            “It’s more of an outline of what we’re going to be talking about and predictions you might say regarding the questions I might ask. But since they are predictions, your real answer may be completely different, which is okay. (In English) Just take a breath and speak your mind. No one is going to judge you for what you say. Say whatever you want,” Tablo says with a reassuring smile.

            The male guest looks over at the two, confused as to why Tablo suddenly spoke English, but MyoungEun responds back in English, which then he processed.

            “(In English) Thank you. This is my first time at a radio station and I get nervous really easily,” she says shyly.

            Tablo continues to reassure her with comforting words and the male guest looks at the two, wanting to join them, but knows he can’t because he can’t speak English.

            “Sunggyu-yah, you should say something to her as well. You’ve been a guest on radio shows for almost ten years, share some of your experiences from when you were a rookie.”

            Sunggyu looks at the Tablo and then at MyoungEun. She continues to look down at the script, too shy to look at Sunggyu. He thinks to himself for a second and giggles to himself.

            “I don’t really have any tips. I guess just be honest with your responses because some of the things you say on air can haunt you five to eight years later,” he says sheepishly.

            Tablo bursts out loud as well as MyoungEun. She claps her hands under the table and continues to laugh while looking down at the table. Sunggyu, embarrassed, tries to calm Tablo down and explain the nightmares that haunt him from the radio and MyoungEun finally lifts her head and watches the two men converse.

            The producer of the radio signals Tablo that they’ll be back on air in a minute. Tablo gathers himself and places his headphones back on his head; he furrows his eyebrows and shuffles through the script with a serious look. Sunggyu drinks from his water bottle while reading the script for the next segment on the radio. MyoungEun, confused, looks at the script as well, but isn’t sure what she has to read. The red ‘ON-AIR’ light turns back on and Tablo’s theme song turns on.

            “We are back from our commercials, I hope you are all still listening to this station. There are many comments regarding who the guests are, and may I say, Inspirits are crazy good at guessing. Our first guest who I’ve seen grow and accomplish his dream as a singer, is Infinite’s leader Sunggyu!”

            “Hello Tablo’s Dreaming Radio listener, this is Infinite’s leader Kim Sunggyu.”

            The producer gestured the guests to clap and MyoungEun was a beat late because she didn’t know what was happening.

            “As for our other guest, no one got her right. (Giggles), if I were to give a hint about her…hmm…this is a really big hint, but she said that I was her role model,” Tablo says with an outburst.

            He laughs, proud of himself for stating the facts and MyoungEun laughs as well.

            “Okay, I’ll give an even bigger hint. She’s a writer, a very talented young, fresh writer. I’ve read all her books both translated and the original, and I must say that I am impressed. It reminds me a lot of how I was when I was younger,” he says again, laughing out loud.

            MyoungEun covers her face in embarrassment and grips the plastic water bottle tight. Sunggyu laughs and grips a fist from embarrassment.

            “Okay, all jokes aside she is truly an amazing creative writer and thinker, who I respect. Kim MyoungEun!”

            “(Shaking) Hello…my name is Kim MyoungEun and I’m an amateur fiction writer.” Tablo shakes his head excessively, denying her humble remark.

            “She is not an amateur, but rather an inspiring artist. Like I’ve said before, I read all your novels and your subtle writing techniques and details bring so much to the plot. If you’re a minimalist, I highly recommend MyoungEun’s books. Very subtle, yet she goes in-depth with each character. I’m a huge fan and I’ll leave it at that,” Tablo shyly says as he looks at MyoungEun. Her face is red and she keeps fanning herself with the thin paper script.

            “No, I should be the one fangirling right now. I’m a huge fan of Tablo, his albums, his poetry and his books. I have all of it and I enjoy all of them in their respective fields. You’re truly my inspiration and role model,” she says with her face glowing a bright red.

            Tablo and MyoungEun giggle at each other, while Sunggyu quietly watches over the two. He his lips, seemingly wanting to join the conversation, but couldn’t bring himself up to join because there was nothing he could relate to. Tablo looks over at Sunggyu and adds him into the conversation. The radio continues smoothly for 2 hours, filled with jokes and laugh while also touching on serious life worries.

            “Sunggyu, are you lonely nowadays? When do you feel lonely?”

            Sunggyu rolls his eyes around on the table, trying to organize his thoughts.

            “I’m usually a really lonely person, but when the weekend comes along, that’s when I lose it sometimes.”

            Tablo is in shock, “The weekend? Really? Most people would be out with their friends drinking on the weekends or spend time with their families. What do you do?”

            “I’m typically just home watching TV or sleeping. But when I do both activities, I feel a little empty. I can’t fall asleep as easily anymore and even if I’m watching a comedy show on TV, I’m not laughing. I just stare at the TV, thinking about other things I could be doing, but I’m not.” He says with a sigh.

            MyoungEun nods her head, agreeing with his response.

            “You’re nodding your head MyoungEun, do you relate?” asks Tablo.

            “Oh heck yeah I can relate (giggle). I like doing things by myself and enjoy my lonely time as well, but sometimes it hurts. And its not like I’m always feeling lonely, but when it does hit me it hits me really hard and I can’t escape from it. I just have to abide to the loneliness that overtakes my body until it leaves my body, which can be the next hour, day or week. I have a hard time reviving myself from depression and loneliness. Once I’m in, I’m in too deep. (Silence) Sorry if I got too deep and dark,” she apologizes with an awkward smile.

            “No, no not at all. I think Sunggyu and I were just taking in your words. And it’s weird to me because I was the same. I can’t say I’m any different in my present state, but back when I was young, there was no exit for my loneliness. I lost my voice to even ask for help. I was scared and didn’t want people to know how I was feeling. Not because they would judge me, but rather ‘why do they need to know what I’m going through?’ I always had that thought.”

            MyoungEun nods her head quickly, completely agreeing with Tablo. Sunggyu slowly nods his head and swifts his body in his seat, taking in the harsh truths from the two people.

            “I’m very reserved. I don’t like telling people how I feel because I know they don’t and won’t care. I used to be very open about my feelings and literally would spill out my whole life to a passing dog. I was so desperate for people’s attention and I was unaware of it. But after talking about my feelings so much, I realized people never cared. Yeah they could listen and take an interest, but if you keep repeating the same problems and worries, people lose interest. That’s what snapped into my head and I stopped from there. Some people say it’s ‘bad’ that I don’t share my opinions and feelings that well, but if they really need my opinion, I’m open to share it. I just won’t share my feelings to them. The only person I can talk to is my mom, but even with my mom there are things I can’t tell her, so I just write everything out.”

            Tablo attentively nods his head and asks MyoungEun about how she tackles certain situations and obstacles. As she is responding to his questions, Sunggyu scrutinizes MyoungEun’s face, from the top of her head to the bottom of her chin. He listens to every word she says and is amazed that someone who is seven years younger than him can have that kind of thought process. He’s shocked at how mature MyoungEun is and finds it enticing.

            The producer signals Tablo to wrap up the end of the radio.

            “Thank you all for staying with us ‘til the end. I can’t believe it’s already been two hours with Sunggyu and MyoungEun. What did you think about todays show?”

            Sunggyu gestures MyoungEun to talk first, but she gestures Sunggyu to talk first. They kept going back and forth until Tablo interrupted their cute antics.

            “So MyoungEun because it was your first time on a radio show, tell us how you felt. I hope you’re okay with talking about your feelings about the radio show,” he giggled.

            “Oh yeah I’m okay with talking about this (laughs). Well first off, I want to thank the radio station for inviting a newbie like me to such an extravagant radio show with an amazing DJ. I had a really good time and it was a new experience for me. Being able to see how radio stations ‘work’ and just being in a spot I could’ve never imagined myself in,” she says with a laugh.

            “Thank you for coming out today. You’re known for not making appearances on television and rarely do interviews, so thank you for gathering the confidence to come out today. I had a lot of fun and saw a different side to you. It felt like a behind the scenes while talking to you.”

            MyoungEun thanks Tablo and he smiles.

            “Sunggyu, how about you? You’re probably sick of this question, but how’d you feel about today?”

            “Honestly, I think it was an honor to come out on your radio show again. It’s been a while and it was nice talking to you again. It was also a pleasure to meet MyoungEun. I’ve heard of her name because my member, Sungjong, is a fan. I remember hearing her name when you first introduced her, but couldn’t figure out why I knew and then as the show went on, I remember Sungjong would talk about her books. I never would’ve thought I’d be able to talk with renowned writer because she’s a different field from where I am, so it was a nice experience. I’m interested in reading her books now (laughs).”

            MyoungEun shakes her head at Sunggyu’s compliment.

            “Oh, Sunggyu have you fallen for MyoungEun,” Tablo jokes.

            Sunggyu giggles under his breath and says, “I feel like she’s opened a different world for me that I would’ve never opened. It’s weird, but nice,” Sunggyu says.

            MyoungEun thanks Sunggyu by bowing her head and smiles while looking down at the monitor in front of her.

            “We are ending on a happy note considering the dark talk we had about thirty minutes ago (laughs). Thank you for listening to Tablo’s Dreaming Radio, and we all hope you have a good night.”

            The red light turns off for the last time and they all stand up and clap. The producer claps loudly with a huge smile on his face. He gestures Tablo, Sunggyu and MyoungEun to leave the booth. Before leaving, one of the staff asks the three of them to pose for a picture. Tablo pulls in Sunggyu and gently puts his hand on MyoungEun’s shoulder. The flash blinds MyoungEun, not used to taking pictures with people. Tablo laughs and pats her back.

            The three leave the booth and the producer pats each one of them on the back saying they broke their record for ratings. Today’s show is the highest it has ever been the producer said, unable to hide his smile.

            “Let’s plan a dinner someday this week. This is something to celebrate!” The staff cheers and Tablo couldn’t hide his smile.

            MyoungEun and Sunggyu silently stand next to each other. MyoungEun looks at her watch and notices how late the time is.

            “Do you have somewhere to go?” asks Sunggyu.

            MyoungEun was taken aback and looks at Sunggyu nervously.

            “Oh no, I didn’t know how late it was,” she says in a quiet voice.

            “Yeah, it is pretty late,” Sunggyu says, but is followed by silence after.

            “If you don’t mind, could you tell me the titles of your novels. I’m curious,” he laughs.

            MyoungEun looks at him surprised, but snaps out of it.

            “Yeah of course. I actually have some in my car. I carry boxes of my books with me for situations like this,” she shyly laughs.

            “That’s efficient!” he says as he rubs the back of his head.

            Silence runs between the two amidst the happiness of the radio staff members.

            “Should we get it now?” asks Sunggyu.

            MyoungEun is stiff, not knowing what she should say or do. She rolls her eyes along the blue and white tiles on the ground.

            “Yeah, of course!” she smiles.