Day 1 - The First Encounter

A Week

I saw her again. The girl who was sitting on the wheel chair. Her right hand and right leg were wrapped in plaster casts. That girl was brought to ER because of car accident two days ago. Today, that Asian-looking guy was visiting her again. He took her to the hospital park. I didn’t know why, but, suddenly I got curious and following them. I observed that girl since her arrival in this hospital. That guy stopped the wheelchair and sat on the bench. They were having a conversation. I can’t hear what were they talking about because I need to keep my distance. But, I assumed they just had an argument because that girl showed an annoyed face.

Bingo! I was right. They just had an argument. Their conversation didn’t last for five minutes. Suddenly, that guy was walked away and left her alone in the park. I didn’t know what came into myself. My legs were walked towards her without permission from my brain. Fortunately, I can control it again. I stopped when the distance between us were only 2 meters away. I just standing still and staring at her. I kept looking at her and can’t took my eyes off of her. It seems like I look at an alien who just arrived on the earth. This girl has a long-wavy-brown hair, big and pretty eyes and cute nose. Just typical of Asian girl. Well, just a little bit above the average? Ok, ok she is pretty cute but not my type. Despite of her little-bit-above-average look, there was something about her that make me can’t turn my eyes off from her. She has some kind of aura that make you wanna get to know more about her. Maybe, she is the descendant of Medusa. I didn’t even realise how long I was staring at her. The spell finally broken down the moment she turned her head and look at me. I was startled by the sudden action and awkwardly looking around pretending to be someone who just searching for some fresh air. I took a glance and she was still looking at me with no expression on her face.

Realizing my action will get more awkward if I stay here any longer after got caught staring at her, I was planning to accidently look at her, meet her eyes, smiling and get my a ss off out of here. I took a deep breath and turned my head. Our eyes met and I forced my lips to smile. It was strange. She didn’t smile back. You know, when you smile to a stranger, they will automatically smile back. But, she was just stare at me with blank expression. Instead of leaving, I commanding my legs to bring me closer to her. Now, it was only 1 meter away. I waved my hands in front of her face -it is not exactly in front of her face though- but she didn’t gave any response. It just like what I predicted, she was blind.

“Have a fight with your boyfriend?” my sudden question seems startled her.

“He is not my boyfriend,” she replied.

“He is ask you to break up, huh? Poor you. He want to leave you after seeing your condition,” I asked her again and added a mocking tone on my voice. I mocked her but actually, I was smiling like an idiot just because she replied to my random question. I told you before right, she has some kind of spell that strangely attract me.

“Look, I don’t know who you are. And honestly, I hate the way you talk towards me. So, could you please stop trying to start a conversation and leave queitly? I would be appreciate it,” she gave me a cynical answer.

I was surprised. Her answer is precisely describe her personality that I imagined. As expected, she is a kind and polite girl. She even not forget to put a manner even when she was angry. This fact made me want know her more. When I was about to say something annoying, a nurse come to took her back to her room. Impulsively, I stopped the nurse and said I was her friend and I will take her to her room later.

“No, I don’t know him. Please take me to my room,” that girl quickly response to my offer. The nurse seems like she didn’t trust me because she quickly push her wheelchair back into the hospital.

***

A weirdo. I met a weirdo today right after Jimin left me to call a nurse to take me back to my room. He appeared out of nowhere. I didn't like him. Especially the way he talk. It's really piss me off. Moreover, he seems like to know the fact that I can’t see his face. I got a temporary blindness due to car accident that happened two days ago. I regained consciousness today and I called Jimin right after. I was a foreign student and have no family here. Jimin is my classmate in high school and went to the same college as me. In this foreign country, when there is no one you know, people with the same nationality as yours will automatically become your family.

Nobody knew about my condition except Jimin. I didn’t even tell my roommate, Lisa. Next week is final exam so I didn’t want to bother her. She was a final year law student. It was unnecessary if I told her about my condition. Jimin insist to tell her because he worried he will be too busy and couldn't visit me often. He was afraid I would feel lonely. Oh, what an angel. After ensure him that I will be fine by myself, he agreed to not telling her.

Someone knocked on the door and I could hear the sound of the door being opened. I was lied down on my bed and quickly pretending to sleep. I was waiting for the person who entered my room to introduce her/him self. But, after a few minutes, nothing happened. It so quiet. I was a little bit scared. I still wasn't used to this blindness. The condition when I can’t see anything beside bright and dark is scaring me.

“Who’s there?” I build up my courage and asked. I hope I could guess who was that person by hearing her/his voice. It still quiet. Suddenly, the sound of something being dragged was heard. I guess it was a chair. The sound was stopped. According to the sound, that chair was dragged and positioned near my bed. I could feel someone was sat on there. Silenced.

“Who are you?” I asked while trying to sit down. That person didn't answer my question.

“You... Don’t say, you are that weirdo from earlier?” I asked that person again. I can’t saw that person but I can feel that this person was that weirdo I met earlier.

“Ding... Dong... Deng!!! Wow, how could you know? I am not saying anything. And also, you can’t even see my face. Woah amazing. How could you know it was me? Hemm.. Perhaps you have it? That ability. What does it called? A sixth sense? Yes, a sixth sense. Wow, amazing!!!,” he was clapping and sounds so surprised and excited with my answer.

“Ah, I heard that someone who has a sixth sense could be able to see a ghost? Can you tell me is there any ghost in this room? Oops, I mean, you absolutely can not see it, but, can you sense it?” his question was getting more annoying. Earlier, I wasn't sure if he knew I was blind. But now, I 100% sure by the fact that he said I can’t see. Moreover, he said it twice.

“Stop talking non sense. What exactly do you want from me?” I can’t handle him anymore. It so annoying having someone who you didn’t even know his face to made fun of you. You can’t do anything but to chase him away by your most savage words.

“What I want from you? Hmm... Nothing. I just want to visit you. That’s all. To be frank, I feel sorry for you because these two days nobody come to visit you. So, I think I could pay a visit because you feel so lonely. Hemm.. And I guess you don’t have any friend either. So, no matter how long you stay here, no one will come. How could you expect someone to come if actually there is no one? Hahahaha... What a poor thing you are,”

He mocked me again. That jeer though, made me want to punch his face. But, wait, how could he know that I was in this hospital two days ago? Who is this guy? He is creeping me out. Is he a stalker? I was about to call a nurse, but, I realized it will be suspicious. With the condition where I blind, it will be hard for me to find the nurse-called-button. Moreover, he was sitting beside my bed. If I did a suspicious act, he will know immediately. This situation was so annoying. But, I need to calm myself and control my facial expression so he couldn’t notice if I feel so damn scared right now.

“You didn’t deny it, huh? So it was true you don’t have a friend except that asian-looking guy who visited you this morning. Unfortunately, you fought and broke up with him. So, you are really don’t have anyone left. That is why you could recognize me immediately even though i didn’t even talk earlier. Because you are such a loner,” Oh my Lord, I am so damn scared and I really hate this jerk. I hate the way he talk, but I hate it even more when he make an assumption about me. He talked like he knew everything about me.

“I,...” My voice was trembling. But, I need to speak to chase him away from here as soon as possible.

“I don’t care about your opinion towards me. But, please point it out. I don't need anyone like you to come and visit me. And, please stop talking like you know anything about me. We don’t even know each other. Please leave me now or I will scream,” not only my voice but also my hands were trembling.

“Ok, Ok. I understand. I will go. Calm down. You don’t need to scream, ok? Calm down, calm down, I will leave. See you then. I will come again.” He sound scared. Did my threat work?

I could felt he was standing up and walked away from the bed. The sound of a dragged chair and his footstep is getting further. Finally, I could breath again after hearing the sound of the door being slide open and closed. I didn’t know who the hell is he. Is he someone I know? Or just a childish prankster who loves to making fun of others? Or.... maybe he really is a stalker?? No, no, no. It is not possible. His voice sounds so deep, he definitely not a teenage boy who pull out a prank to a blind girl. Judging from his voice and attitude, I could assume he was a man in middle 20s. But, come to think about it again. He was indeed annoying and seems like a stalker. But, I could feel that he wasn't a bad guy. Who exactly is he?