A Gumiho?

The Gumiho
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Finally, I'm writing this story again and rewriting everything that I wasn't liking. I hope you guys enjoy it. 

 

“It was around eleven and you may say I was an old man deprived of sleep but I know what I see, young lady… It was a Gumiho!” Tiffany nods her head trying her best not to roll her eyes on that. The old man's breath hits her face and she has to ignore the smell of tobacco because professionalism must be her best friend. Always! It's a bit hard to keep it though when your job is to interview a drunk old man about this unearth-ling creature he claims to witness outside his village. “Big as a wolf, fur white as snow… And then just like magic, the beast transformed itself into a woman! A woman! Can yeh believe it?”

 

“No.”

 

“That sly beast take the form of a woman to lure men and to slay us all!” He says with a hoarse voice.

 

“Sir, I think you might be taking this out of scale...” Tiffany tries not to sound rude.

 

“You young people who barely know life outside yer city is all but a moronic head!” Her face blushes red from anger for the man's words thrown at her. She was trying her best not to be rude with him because he is the interviewer and older and she must respect his age and life experience but damn, old people can be so impatient and hot-tempered! His poor Korean skills wasn't doing any help as well. “You know what a Gumiho is, head?”

 

Tiffany ignores his rude behavior. “Nine-Tailed fox.” She promptly answers, remembering reading its name on a book about Korean folklore. It's a very popular figure in Asian culture in general.

 

“Yes! NINE! And I counted them! Nine frigging tails was there!”

 

“I'm sorry, sir, but this is impossible. There are no arctic foxes in Korea and foxes can never be as big as a wolf, they are smaller than most dogs. I believe the animal you saw was a common wolf.”

 

“You thunk I am stupid to not know the difference between foxes and wolves? I hunt, head! Do yeh?”

 

Tiffany is by the second starting to get mad with his angry speech. She is not here to listen to people calling her head! She doesn't even want to be here in the first place! She is enrolled to interview residents of a far-away village in the southwest countryside because the locals have reported to have some of their animals gone dead in a killing spree by an unknown creature. And as harsh as it sounds, the honest true is that, she doesn't give a damn for the animals from that village. What she gives a damn for is her career! And the fact that though she works for a somehow renowned newspaper, she's always enrolled for such frivolous headlines… Heck, they are barely headlines! Like last week, Tiffany had to go all the way to Busan just to interview a man who tried to paint his body blue for the Halloween but the paint wouldn't come out and his body was blue from the head to toes for four days straight. Also the other day, she had to interview this girl who wouldn't stop raising birds inside her house. She lived with seven birds and more were about to come and the girl couldn't give them away out of pity. It all but just random and unimportant news. Tiffany hates them. It feels like “hey, look at all this random going on in this place...have Tiffany Hwang to check it out for us!”

 

God, is it asking too much for some real news? A real discovery? Something really worthy? She doesn't care for sasquatches, nine-tailed foxes, vampires or werewolves! She just wants one, ONE big hit! ONE major issue is enough to make her proud of herself and the career she chose. But while her senior Bora is being an Anchor, here there is Tiffany, interviewing a drunk man about a Gumiho. Good grief…

 

“I know it was a Gumiho, woman! She lured me as well!”

 

“Oh really?” She asks, trying to muffle the sarcastic tone. “Why she hadn't slayed you then?”

 

“I was stronger! She used her light-skin and voice to seduce me! Singin' to make ma lust arise inside so she could eat my soul, that sly fox! But I was stronger! I shot her before she could get to me.”

 

“You shot her?”

 

“Yes, I had to! But the beast is strong! It ain't died. She fled, and I turned around and finally ran free back home! The next day though… Momo was dead.”

 

“Who is Momo?”

 

“My sheep!” Tiffany sighs. A sheep? Here she is, thinking that man was talking about a real person, and it was about a sheep? “Poor innocent Momo killed by that bloodthirsty beast!” He growled bitterly. “Only if Momo were the only one… That thing slayed five of my sheep! FIVE! Yeh know how it feels to loose five of yer sheep, woman?”

 

“No.”

 

“That sly fox are holding a grudge against me! Killing my sheep so in the end I'll have none!”

 

“Well, you shot her. Hard to have good feelings when people hurt you for no reason.”

 

“For no reason er? I was protecting my life and my village! She's angry with me because I didn't fell for her charms! Gumihos hate when men don't fall for them!”

 

“Was she young looking?”

 

“Yes! Young, fair-skin, long black hair… the woman could easily tempt any male, I tell you!”

 

“But not you?” She blinks skeptically as the man kept talking about that non-sense story.

 

“No, not me! I'm strong!”

 

“Okay, sir, thank you for your report.” Tiffany finally finishes, flashing him a fake lopsided smile. The man nods his head and smoke his pipe again.

 

“We all doomed, I tell yeh.” He says before walking away. “All our sheep will be gone if we don't kill that beast!”

 

She ignores what he was saying and looks at her notes written down on her small journal pad.

 

 

> Lee Kyungsan, 35 years old, reports hearing growls at night.

>Choi Seunghwa, 42 years old, reports finding packs of foxes, wild cats and wolves nearby during his hunts.

 

> Old man named Kim Hyunsoo, 64 years old, claims to have seen a supernatural creature.

> Big as a wolf, white fur, nine tails…

>The man is sure the creature is the mythological Gumiho – the nine-tailed fox.

> The man lost five sheep in total.

>States the beast has a personal grudge against him for not falling for her “charms”.

Real possibility: Wolves.

 

“That man is an old crackpot!” She hears her assistant, Minho, say after the man is afar.

 

“I can't believe I came all the way down here to hear this bull story.”

 

“The old man could at least be creative and score...” He rolls his eyes.

 

“Score?”Tiffany blinks not getting what he was implying.

 

A smug soon is on his face. “Tiffany… the man will be pushing daisies soon enough, he is old and widowed. He sees a freaking Gumiho and doesn't fall for her? His would have been the happiest in years! He could at least lie about having with her and surviving. It would be a more interesting story! The first known man to have with a Gumiho!”

 

“Why the Gumiho would have with him? The man smells like !”

 

“Maybe that's why he could escape.” They both laugh out loud walking side by side to get back to their van. It was afternoon and they would spend the night in the village to try see the beast in first hand. Tiffany is convinced it is nothing but a wolf, so staying there till next morning for the sake of the news it is very upsetting for her. Especially because she couldn't use her phone - there was no service whatsoever, as the village is so far away from the biggest cities in the province of North Jeolla.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter