A Happy Ending (or Beginning?)

I can only wait for you

Moonbyul never thought she'd be this happy seeing her teacher's face, but after that godforsaken lunch break, she almost stood up and hugged him when he entered the classroom. 

Instead, she sat at her desk, looking at the her book open on the page she was supposed to read along with the teacher but she couldn't concentrate. Her eyes always went back to her left where, two rows in front of her, Yongsun was seated. She could only see her back, and if she was lucky enough, get a glimpse of the girl's profile when she looked at the board. She didn't seem as concerned or distracted as Byul, which was a tiny bit disappointing. Then again, Solar might be a bad liar, but she was strangely great at hiding what she was really feeling. Moonbyul sighed and tried to take her attention back to her book and her teacher. 

It did not work. She was almost woken up by the bell announcing the next period.  The rest of the afternoon went by rather quickly, meaning they hadn't really enough time between periods to talk (meaning no time for Namjoo to interrogate Byul again, Thank God.). Before she knew it, the days was almost over and it was time for clubs, and almost time for her to go have a talk with Solar. 

Now she would normally head out for the dance club practice room with Hoseok and Seulgi, while Namjoo and Hwasa go to theater, but today she just didn’t feel like it. Instead, she excused herself from her friends, said that she was just too tired, which wasn’t a complete lie, and headed out for the roof. She threw her bag somewhere near the door and walked to the fence. Leaning all her weight on it, Byul looked up at the blue sky and took a big breath in, closing her eyes, enjoying the cool breeze passing through her hair. 

 

She stayed like this, standing still, for a while, until she was startled back into the real world by the sound of the door slamming shut behind her. She turned around with an embarrassing shriek to see Yongsun by the door. 

“Hi” She sounded a bit breathless, like she might have ran the 4 flight of stairs instead of taking the elevator.  

“Hey” Moonbyul doesn’t say anything else, doesn’t move an inch, she just waits. She can hear one corner of her mind telling her that’s she tired of waiting. She ignores it for now. 

“I, um, think we need to talk” Solar’s eyes are everywhere but on the other girl  “Well, more like, I need tot talk to you” 

“Go ahead” the younger one simply says “I’m listening” 

“Ok, right, ok” Solar mumbles, her hands are fidgeting, still not meeting Moonbyul’s gaze for more than 3 seconds at a time. “I just, I need a minute. I didn’t plan that far ahead”

Moonbyul almost laughs at that. She settles on watching Solar. How she’s awkwardly standing there, too far away she almost says out-loud. The way her eyebrows are drawn together in a frown, the way her hands are going back and force between awkwardly dangling at her sides, passing through her hands, or just trembling as she brings them close together. And Moonbyul wants to step into Yongsun’s space, she wants to hug the distance away, she wants to take those shaking hands into hers, she wants to kiss that frown away. Moonbyul wants, and wants, and wants

“Ok” Yongsun finally says, her voice uncharacteristically small, “I know that lately I haven’t been the greatest…anything really. Not the greatest friend, an even worse girlfriend” She stumbled over the word, and probably noticed Moonbyul’s eyes widening slightly at the word “I know I was the one saying like no labels or anything But…” she ran both hands through her hair, frustrated “Aah, I’m doing all of this backwards. I just wanted to apologized and… and I don’t know what else, I-” 

Moonbyul sighed, quite audibly. Loud enough for Solar to hear it, and for her head to snap up towards Moonbyul, her eyes a mixture of sad and scared. Leaving Moonbyul wanting so much again, with just one look. 

Instead of wanting, and waiting, like she’s been doing her whole life she feels like, she finally does

She approached Solar, her steps determined, like she was on a mission. She didn’t even flinch when Yongsun took a small step back in surprise. And once she was close enough to the girl, really merely two inches apart, (two inches too many if you asked Moonbyul), she slowly dropped her head onto the girl’s shoulder, her arms staying at her sides for now. She felt Solar still, catching her breath. 

“What are you…” she asked, unsure, still not daring to breathe “Aren’t you mad at me ?” 

“I’m not.” Moonbyul sighed “I mean, I was. Really. But I’m not right now. Right now I’m just tired, and I just… want” and then quietly “need”

Moonbyul tilted her head so her cheek was on the girl’s shoulder, her nose pressing against her neck. Her eyes closed, she breathed in the scent of shampoo, and moisturizer, and Solar. She let out the shaky breath she didn’t know she was holding and her shoulders relaxed. A few seconds passed until she felt Solar shift slightly, one of her hands went to rest on Moonbyul’s back, while the other one apprehensively interlaced their pinkies together. The girl also let out a shaky breath, and Moonbyul felt it run down her neck. 

“I’m so sorry I haven’t been fair with you.” Yongsun whispered, not that there was any need, but it only felt appropriate considering the intimate setting “I’m sorry I made you wait around like this, I’m sorry I didn’t talk to you more, I’m sorry I didn’t speak up during the lunch break, I’m sorry I made you feel mad, and tired, I’m sorry.” 

Moonbyul pulled away from Yongsun, not much so Yongsun’s hands were still on her, but enough that Moonbyul could see her face. 

“Yongsun…” she said softly at the sight of her crying face. She brought one hand to Solar’s cheek, brushing away the tears. She was about to speak again, but Solar beat her to it. 

“Don’t. Please, don’t. You can’t look at me like you’ve already forgiven me.”

“I can, and I will” Moonbyul interrupted, her lips pulling up into a soft, bitter-sweet smile.

 “I don’t deserve it ! I need to explain myself.”

“Yeah, you do.” Moonbyul agreed “But don’t think you don’t deserve my forgiveness. I’m the judge of that. And I already ruled on this matter.”

Yongsun tried to chuckle, but with sobs stuck in it didn’t particularly sound happy, but it was getting there “You’re impossible…”

“Only for you.” Moonbyul smiled softly, even as Yongsun gently hit her shoulder out of habit . 

“Well, actually that’s not true. I’ve been told that by Hwasa and Namjoo a numerous amount of times.”  

Moonbyul watched as Solar ducked her head and chuckled silently. Their eyes met when the girl lifted her head back up, and, as none of them moved, Moonbyul could only watch. Watch how Yongsun’s beautiful brown eyes were red from the tears that had spilled out of them and dried on her cheeks. How was pulled up into a breathtaking smile, slightly amused, somewhat sad, and maybe a bit hopeful. How the frown in her eyebrows was now nowhere to be seen. How her hand had stopped shaking as much as they were just a minute ago. How she had weirdly never looked so beautiful than she was now, standing in front of Moonbyul, vulnerable, her heart on her sleeve. 

“Sometimes the way you look at me…” Solar suddenly said, and she almost looked as surprised as Moonbyul. She clearly didn’t mean to say that out-loud. But she still continued voicing her thoughts as Byul gave her an interrogative look  “It’s… a bit overwhelming. And I don’t really know what to do about it. I just…I just know that I don’t want you to stop. I know it’s selfish but…” she sighs for what feels like the hundred time in less than half an hour “It might not come as a surprise to you but I don’t know a lot when it comes to..this” she says gesturing in the tiny space left between herself and Moonbyul, which leaves the latter give her half a mocking scoff yeah no “But I, if anything, have been thinking. A Lot. And while I might be unsure, and insecure about a lot, I know at least how I feel about you. I really, really like you, Moon Byul Yi. I don’t think I’ve said that enough. And I know that I might be really close to, you know, the big L word.”

“Lesbian ?” Moonbyul interrupts playfully, no doubt trying to lighten the mood.

Yongsun only rolls her eyes, smiling “Hilarious. You know what I mean. I just… I want to be with you, really. You just… I mean, you’ve been nothing but great, but you gotta let me catch up to you. I think you might have had a bit of a head start on me.”

“I might have” Moonbyul says, taking one small steps that swallows the last bit of space that was left between their two bodies “But I think you’re catching up” she whispers this as she leans in slowly, her eyes going from her Solar’s lips to her eyes, looking for any sort of signs that would tell her to back off. She finds none as Yongsun closes the gaps separating them, their lips crashing together. 

Moonbyul almost lets out an embarrassing moan as she feels Yongsun’s mouth move against her own, dancing a dance they’ve rehearsed countless times, they knew all the steps by heart already, but it still left them breathless and Moonbyul sighing contently against the other girl. 

 

 

 

After a while of just kissing, smiling, and talking some more, it was already way past the end of the day, and only 15 minutes before they would have to leave the school or stay locked inside. They were both sitting against the wall next to the door, quietly, and Moonbyul was just content feeling the warmth of the other girl as their shoulders were pressed together and she was mindlessly playing with her hand. 

“You know” Moonbyul filled in the silence “That we can be together without telling everyone, right ? I mean, we don’t need to make a big statement, it can be just our thing. I.. the problem I had with how we… handled stuff before was that it was you on one side and me on the other, you know ? As long as we can be together on our own, I don’t mind being friends when we’re with the world.” 

Yongsun looks at her for a few seconds that feel like an eternity with the intensity of her stare, but then she smiles and brings Moonbyul’s hand to her lips. “You’re very sweet, and way too nice to me. But!” She held up a finger when Moonbyul was about to interrupt her, but she could already read it in her eyes You deserve “too nice” You might be ok with not telling anyone, but I’m not.” She looked down, avoiding the other’s eyes as she continued “You deserve something real. Realer than whatever we had before.” Then, grinning at Moonbyul, teasingly “Plus, it might finally stop all those girls from confessing to you every three days.” 

 

Moonbyul laughed, loud and clear, a happy sound that used all the muscles from her face, making it crunch cutely, and Solar had a hard time looking away (not that she wanted to anyway) “Is this jealousy I detect here Miss Kim ?” Solar answered her with a shrug and a smile “Don’t think I don’t know about all the students that come from the school across town to confess to you, Miss Kim Yongsun.” She leaned in and pressed a gentle, whisper of kiss on Solar’s lips before adding sweetly “I wouldn’t mind something a bit more… official, I’ll admit.” 

 

After that, they may or may not have stayed a bit too late on the roof, too distracted by each other to check the time, and they may or may not got yelled at by the school’s gate keeper who had to open it again just for them. 

 

And the next morning, when they walked in hand in hand, fingers intertwined, their friends grew silent as they took in the scene in front of them, that is until Hwasa rolled her eyes and loudly said “ing finally.” After that, it was a lot of blushing on Solar’s part, a lot of question on Namjoo’s part, a soft congratulations from Seulgi and Hoseok, and a lot of teasing from everyone. 

 

The teacher (who might just become Moonbyul’s favorite at this point) arrived not too long after and told the class to settle down. Yet, of course, since nothing can stop Namjoo, in the middle of the class a piece of scrunched up paper lands on her desk, and as she unfolds it, she reads a list of questions that her noisy friend wanted answered. Moonbyul turned around in her sit to look at Namjoo right behind her, only to get ignored as she acted as if nothing happened. Moonbyul sighed, This is gonna be a long year, she thought. But as she caught a glimpse of Solar in front of her, their eyes met and the girl offered a shy smile before turning back to face the board, she thought that maybe a long year was exactly what she needed. 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello hello! it's been a while since i've updated this story, mostly because i was super uninspired but i didn't want to let in hang on "cliffhanger". So i hope you enjoy this chapter, though i kind of forced myself to write it I'd say i'm pretty satisfied. this might be the last chapter to this story but maybe I'll do something else if i'm feeling it, maybe moonsun dating, or just some everyday life. anyway thanks for reading and commenting and upvoting, you're great, yes, you!