I'll be here, waiting.

I can only wait for you

 

 

The teacher and most of the students had left the classroom when Byul got out of her daze. She glanced down to her open notebook and sighed at the sight of a blank page. She stood up and slowly started to put away her things in her backpack, not in a hurry to go home, thinking about which of her friends she should ask for today's notes. Probably Seulgi. She was the most diligent student and her notes were always so easy to understand. She heard a noise to her right that once again brought her out of her thoughts.

Byul turned her head around to watch Hwasa cooly lean against the desk opposed to hers,crossing her arms accross her chest. Quickly looking at her from head to toe, the taller one could see how intimidating the girl could appear. With her short dark blue hair, her perfect eye liner sharpening her eyes, and her whole general posture that screamed confidence. But Byul could only laughed at the people who were scared of Hwasa. It was sometimes hard to take her seriously after knowing her for so many years. She had seen the girl use potatoe chips as ear and nose ring. You have to admit it's hard to be intimidated with this mental image of the girl. 

"You were staring at her" the short one started "Again."
 

Byul smiled gently "How could I look away ?" The grey haired girl took great pleasure watching Hwasa's face scrunch up. 

"Seriously, she makes you sound so much like-"


"-someone in love?" Byul interrupted, at this point just to annoy the other girl, and maybe get out of this topic of conversation.
 

"I was gonna say a bad fanfic, but sure let's say it your way" Moonbyul had to smile at that, of course it didn't last long. "I thought you two were on a break ? You know it's creepy to stare like that if you're not really dating anymore right ?"
 

"Correction : she's on a break. I'm just on stand by, which means I can stare all I want. It's not weird."
 

There was a little pause during which Hwasa just looked confused.


"I don't think that's how it works, dude. What the hell does 'stand by' means ?"

Tired of standing, Moonbyul propped herself up on the table. She had a feeling this would take sometime.
 

"It means what it means. I'm just waiting for her." 

Like always, Hwasa didn't say outloud. Instead she settled on
 

"Waiting for what exactly ? I'm pretty sure a break goes both ways in a relationship."
 

"I don't think so. She wanted to take a break because she had some things to figure out. I'm waiting for her to do that and then when she's ready to pick up where we left off I'll be here. Or if she wants to start fresh."
 

"And if she wants to break up ?" Hwasa really wasn't out to beat around the bush, Byul didn't mind and replied honestly with a sad smile.
 

"Then I'll be here for that too, I guess. Whatever she thinks is best. Whatever she wants."
 

Hyejin sighed "And do you think that's healthy ? Her making you wait around like that ? While she's doing what ? Doing some exploring ? And you just wait here like an idiot hanging on to something you're not even sure is gonna return ?" 

Moonbyul knew her bestfriend was just looking out for her, righfully so maybe, so she tried to ignore the anger that appeared at the insinuation. 
 

"It's not like that. You know she's not like that. She's just taking time to think. This is all new for her, she's not used to this..... And talking about healthy, I think it's better this way. She could've said nothing and we would have continued this relationship for a while and maybe start drifting apart and have a messy breakup because that's not what she wants. I prefer this alternative where I can at least prepare myself for the worse..."

Hwasa did look a bit more convinced, as her gaze changed from confusion and worry to pity. 
Moonbyul isn't sure which one is worst.

She got down from the table at the same time as Hwasa straightened her posture, no longer leaning against the desk. Byul put her bag on her shoulder. After a minute of awkwardly standing like that, figuring out how to end this conversation, she finally spoke again
 

"And, you know, I wouldn't want to force her into something she isn't ready for, or doesn't want. And I don't want to pressure her into figuring herself out faster. Those things take time, I should know. And I'm not read to let her go. So waiting is kind of my only option here." 
 

Hwasa sighed again, but this time more understanding than judging and tired. Maybe still tired. She put her arm around Byulyi's shoulders, dragging her out of the classroom 
 

"Come on, dude, let's go eat something, my treat." Byul laughed
 

"Wow, for you to offer me food, I really must look pitiful right now!"
 

"Yeah, you really do."
 

"Thanks, bestfriend, I feel better already."
 

"Shut up, I'm buying you food, you lost the right to complain. I'm a great friend."
 

Byul smiled, that smile that went to her eyes, "You really are" she said, genuiely. 

With friends like Hwasa to cheer her up and take care of her , Byul thought that waiting might not be that painful. 

It certainly was worth it.

Kim Yongsun was worth waiting for.