1965, too many or too few

1965 Steps


Once again they were scheduled for another overseas performance. The number of times they have walked this route of the airport was more than he could even count. Baekhyun held his breath as they prepared to exit the van. He should have been use to it by now.

They filed out one by one, preparing their entrance through the sea of fans gathered at the airport. The constant flashes of light caused a few to adjust their glasses and caps as they made their way in. The excited screams and calls served as more than just an environment. It served as a reminder for Beakhyun to stop fantasizing moments that involved one of the elder hyungs. Moments that he was certainly looking forward to, as M and K didn’t usually have events together. He had missed his chance to sit next to the other during the car trip. But now he was fortunate enough be filed closely behind the other. Perhaps he would be able to get more than a good morning hug by the end of the day.

All the members remained silent, their heads hung low walking closely behind each other. One by one in a row towards to the designated area. Everyone did their best to ignore the hands that reached out and brushed against their body as they walked.
A few whispers of 'be careful ' were barely audible amongst the shouts of 'move aside' made by the managers.

Baekhyun made sure to keep up, walking closely behind his favorite hyung, his fingers loosely gripping the other’s jacket. At times he would withdraw his figures afraid that the other might not approve. Shuffling his feet forwards he would be so close that he could feel the warmth of the other's back when they bumped into each other.

'Sorry' Baekhyun whispered quietly, holding back a smile that would form every once and while.

Yifan turned back slightly and smiled. He reached back and took Baekhyun's hand in his. Giving a little tug, their fingers interlaced, he brought it close to his back. His hyung didn't say a word but from what he was able to see, the words formed from those lips read 'Stay close'

Baekhyun gave the hand a quick squeeze as a sign he understood.
A reddish tint began to colour Baekhyun's cheeks.

This was definitely a plus to his day already.

And this was a reason why he loved airports. Despite the crowds and the annoyance of reaching the gates, here he could stay close to hyung without the others noticing too much. Here he could brush off all actions as simply not having enough room to walk.

With not too many hindrances, they made it to the check in counter. By now the warm hand that was guiding his, was now handling their tickets. The lack of warmth snapped his attention back to reality. With his head turning he was already locating the silhouette of the familiar figure.

It didn’t take long for him to see the broad back standing at one of the check in counters with a few mangers on the side. Baekhyun could feel his nose wrinkle as he caught the female attendant's hand brush all too close to his hyungs’. At times like this a small part of him wished he had Chanyeol’s power, so that the boarding pass would burst up in flames. Giving that attendant a warning.

'You're glaring, you know,' Chen lightly taped his shoulder, snapping him out of his sudden burst of jealously.
Chen wasn't trying to be loud but it hadn't come out as a whisper either, as it garnered the attention of two local troublemakers. Kai and Chanyeol both let out a laugh and proceeded to re-enact the intensity of Baekhyun's glare and the charming smile that Yifan hyung was possible giving.

He quickly whipped around, sending Chen a 'What are you talking about' look before proceeding to drill holes at Chen's sides for the blatant performance of cheesy smiles with large white teeth and terrible winks.


“Stop teasing him.” A familiar warm hand brushed again his back briefly. Yifan continued forward towards the luggage carts, handing over the documents to the other manger standing with the rest of the members.

He made one last face towards Chen before making his way to the 'his' spot beside Yifan. A slight tug of his hyung’s sleeved earned him a smile. Yifan ruffled his hair. 'Don’t let them get to you.” Beakhyun nodded, “Even if they do, you’ll be there for me right?” he muttered under his breath. He felt the fabric between his fingers slip away as Yifan stepped forward to confirm the travel plans with the staff.

He let out a sigh as he sat down at the nearby seats. He couldn't remember how many times it's been already but he was already use to it. The group of eldest usually had the responsibility of helping out with the travel arrangements.

He slouched back in his seat, his fingers randomly pressing buttons on his phone, trying to distract himself. At times he wanted the hand to linger on his back a little longer or maybe Yifan would pull him a little closer when fans were crowding over. They were already so close to the gate and his ‘obtaining attention’ gauge was barely filled.

“Fans are watching you know.” He looked up to find Yifan looking at him with a concerned look.

“Hyung!” Smiling happily and without any thought he instinctively reached out to wrap his arms around the figure before him, but pulled back as soon as he realized where he was. Dropping his hands back to his side he replied softly “I know.” As if Yifan already knew what Baekhyun wanted to do, he gently placed his hands on the younger’s cheek, giving them a light pinch. “There, isn’t a smile better.”

Baekhyun grumbled, attempting to pout. He could already image the look the other members could possibly be giving. But he could care less right now. He reached up and gently placed his hands over the other.

“Time to go. Grab all your belongs.” One of the mangers began instructing as he walked towards the members.

Yifan held out his hand. “Let’s Go.” Baekhyun nodded and let his hyung pull him up.

Last third of the distance.

He let the other guide him towards the gates. A part of him wanted to shake his hand free, fearing the comments that would sprout later from this current action. But the other half of him, never wanted to let go.

He could feel Yifan pull away as their boarding pass was handed out to him. “Thanks Hyung.” Beakhyun took custody of his own pass, and watched as the elder interacted with another female attendant. This time he just smiled as he watched.

1965.

The distance was too short.

But maybe if this amount were in seconds then he would probably be able to feel the other’s warmth very soon.