Three

Libero's Way to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook hadn’t expected the team members to welcome him that warmly after his crappy behavior towards them yesterday. He was prepared to apologize as soon as he stepped into the gym for morning practice after changing into his casual white t-shirt and black shorts – he’d run out of the gym early the day before so he hadn’t got his practice uniform. But, the members smiled and greeted him like yesterday’s event never happened.

Standing up after he was done refilling his water bottle, Hoseok pointed at Jungkook, his gaze landing on Jungkook’s elbow. “Oh! You’re wearing an elbow pad!”

Someone laid a hand on Jungkook’s shoulder from behind him and he turned to see that it was Jimin. Jimin had just arrived at the gym with Taehyung. Jungkook wondered if they actually walked to school together every day. Are they that close?

“You seem to be determined on being a libero,” Jimin said, nodding his head. “Good. Taehyung can help you practice your receives.”

“Eh? Why me?” Taehyung protested, but everyone ignored him.

Picking up a volleyball from the floor, Hoseok offered, “You can receive my jump serves if you want.” He hummed in glee as he continued, “I think I need to thank that new manager.”

Actually, Jungkook was the one who needed to thank that straightforward manager who had managed to talk some sense into him. Thanks to her, he had a completely different thought after listening to her words. If he could help the team by being a libero, obviously he would do it. He had to try, although it meant he couldn’t be an ace. Rather than doing something that he didn’t know whether he would be able to do or not in the near future, it’s better to do what he’s capable to at the moment and make the team stronger. They were aiming to go to Nationals this year, so surely he wouldn’t want to drag them down.

And also, Jungkook had to ask her why she had hurriedly gone home without saying anything to him. That’s just plain weird.

“Aren’t we short of people?” Taehyung scanned his surroundings, frowning. “Where are the coach, the teacher, and the managers? I don’t see Yoongi, too.”

Namjoon explained, “Morning practices are lighter and shorter than afternoon practices, so the coach, the teacher, and the managers usually don’t come. About Yoongi…” He seemed to have a hard time explaining about his senior, so Seokjin – who was the same age as Yoongi and also a vice captain – stepped forward.

“Yoongi never comes to morning practices,” Seokjin continued for Namjoon. “And pathetically, we can’t even persuade him to come.”

“Why?” Jimin asked.

Sighing, he answered, “He’s our ace and a genius in volleyball. Basically, no one in our team can be a good match for him in practices. No one can receive his jump serves and no one can block his spike. So we can’t really say anything if he decides to skip practices.”

Taehyung’s eyes gleamed. “Whoa! Is he that strong? Awesome! Wouldn’t it be as easy as pie for us to win matches if we have him in our team?”

“Not exactly. Volleyball is a team sport. Teamwork is the most important thing in team sports. And he isn’t cooperative at all.” Seokjin looked like he was reminiscing about the past, most likely about their previous games. He quickly shook his head and went back to reality. “Our ace is probably our biggest weakness.”

Huh?

Never once had Jungkook think that aces could be the weakness for their teams. He always looked up to them and saw them as heroes. But now he knew, being an ace didn’t necessarily make him a hero for the team.

Ace was just a role, a position. Like libero.

If a libero can help an ace to score and prevent the opponents from scoring, isn’t being a libero also as awesome as being an ace? Her words lingered in his head.

Jungkook suddenly had an idea that might can help the team. “If I can receive his spikes, would he come to morning practices?” There’s no guarantee that Yoongi would be more cooperative, but at least he would be more intrigued to practice with them if there’s someone who could handle his spikes.

Hoseok burst out laughing and tapped Jungkook’s shoulder. “You’re a hundred years too early to even touch his jump serves.”

“I’m serious.” Jungkook stared into Hoseok’s eyes, his tone serious.

Perhaps, Hoseok could see Jungkook’s seriousness from his eyes. He went silent while he was looking into them, as if searching for something. In the end, he agreed to help him practice and Jungkook couldn’t be happier than that.

Putting down the water bottle that he’d been holding, Hoseok picked up a volleyball. “First, we need to fix that crappy receives of yours. Starting from a proper serve receive. Make sure the ball goes to the setter.”

“I can be the setter.” Jimin walked to the court, saying sorry to the other members and asking permission to borrow the court for a while.

The other members gladly permitted and proceeded to practice outside the court. Jungkook swore to himself that he had to get to know the other five members that he hadn’t had the chance to talk to before. He found it difficult to start up a conversation with other people – Taehyung and Jimin had been the one who’d approached him first. But these people were his teammates and it’s just wrong if he didn’t try anything to befriend them. And of course, he still needed to apologize for all the members for his behavior yesterday.

Taehyung went after Jimin. “What about me?”

Jumping vertically to warm up, Jimin answered, “Just stay close to the net and spike everything I toss to you. You can practice spiking, I can practice tossing, Hoseok can practice serving, and Jungkook can practice receiving. Isn’t that good for everyone?”

Jungkook went to his position at the middle of the back row, behind Jimin and Taehyung who were at the front row, near the net. Hoseok also went to his position at the opposite side of the court, behind the end line, with a volleyball in his hand. He bounced the ball a few times before holding it and taking a deep breath.

“You’re a genius!” Taehyung was also jumping vertically, matching Jimin’s pace.

“Don’t lump me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter