Seventeen

Libero's Way to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The horrible sight paralyzed Hyewon. While the other spectators on the bleachers shrieked in terror, she was too shocked to even move. Her eyes were fixated on Jungkook, who was lying down on the floor, and his bloody wrist. But the next second, she snapped out of her shock and rushed downstairs, Wonwoo and his parents trailing behind her.

Hyewon stopped in her tracks right in front of the door leading to the hall, watching from outside through the open door. Jungkook’s family were standing behind her, waiting anxiously. Tapping her foot impatiently, she hesitated whether she should go inside or not. Technically, there could only be one manager sitting on the bench. But it’s not like she was going to sit there, she just wanted to check his condition.

“Just go, Hyewon,” Wonwoo suddenly said, distracting her from the court. “He isn’t going to play again with that wrist. Take him to the infirmary.”

His voice was so serious that it startled her. Nodding once, she dashed towards the court where the group was gathering. They were crowding around Jungkook who was still siting on the floor, staring at his own hand in shock. Her heart fell when she spotted his bloody wrist. She hadn’t expected it to be this severe when she saw it from the bleachers.

“Hyewon, good timing,” Coach Bang said as his gaze landed on her. “Bring these three to the infirmary with you.”

Hyewon gaped at him. “Three?”

Coach Bang nodded his head towards Jimin and Hoseok who were standing a little farther away from them. “Jimin, Hoseok, go with her.”

Now that Hyewon paid attention to them, she saw Jimin clutching his index finger that was bleeding because he’d cracked his nail – probably because of the spike that had hit his fingers earlier – and she winced at the sight of it. But she didn’t know why Hoseok had to go with her too. He looked perfectly fine, aside from looking worn out and dripping wet with sweat.

“I still can play, Coach,” Hoseok protested and approached the group. That’s when she realized that he was slightly limping. “I’m not bleeding anywhere. They’ll let me play.”

“But I won’t let you,” the coach insisted. “Just go get it checked out and we’ll talk after listening to what they have to say about your injury.”

Worried, Hyewon bit her lower lip anxiously. She hadn’t known that they were injured this badly. And she’d thought that Jungkook was the only one hurt. Finding out that there were three injured members when there’a already one disqualified member made her extremely worried about the team. They lost so many members at once in a game. This was the semifinal. It’s an important match for their advance towards the finals, which would eventually bring them to the nationals. Of all times, why would this happen now? Would they be okay?

“Let’s just quickly get it treated,” Jimin said curtly and headed towards the exit of the sports hall, leaving earlier than the others. He didn’t say it out loud, but Hyewon was sure that he, just like Hoseok, was thoroughly frustrated about his injury that caused him to be left out from the game. And surely, Jungkook too.

Hoseok, clenching his fists so tightly that they started to shake, limped his way over to the door, following Jimin. Hyewon turned to see that Jungkook was glued to the spot, still staring at his wrist, probably wondering why it bled that much because she also questioned herself the same thing too. But, obviously, they could only know the cause after getting a doctor examine the injury.

Crouching down next to Jungkook, Hyewon tapped his shoulder and offered a smile, hoping it didn’t look fake. “Let’s go.” She had no idea what to say to comfort him, so she ended up not saying anything about the injury and the game.

Jungkook nodded and stood up, but he didn’t return her smile and just left without waiting for her, trailing behind Jimin and Hoseok. Hyewon understood that he must be feeling really awful right now, however, she couldn’t help but to feel slightly hurt that he’d just ignored her. Dejected, Hyewon reluctantly followed the three members out of the hall, to the infirmary.

She couldn’t find Jungkook’s family when she passed through the door and thought they must have gone ahead to the infirmary together with Jungkook. This made her wonder why she needed go to the infirmary too while none of them waited for her. But the confrontation with Kangjoon earlier in the day replayed in her mind.

Kangjoon was right. If she continued being like this, she wouldn’t be a better manager. Attending to the players’ needs was the most important job of a manager and she was well aware of it. She couldn’t ignore her responsibility just because she thought it’s troublesome or unneeded. She might think that way, but the players might not think the same. She had to be more understanding and for her to be able to do that, she had to actually put a lot more effort to get to know them. But she wasn’t exactly a sociable person and she wasn’t the type to initiate a conversation, especially with someone she didn’t know well.

Shaking her thoughts away, Hyewon quickened her pace to the infirmary to catch up with the others. She could think about the problem with Kangjoon later, but now, she had to accompany the players while they’re getting their injuries checked out and report to the coach afterwards.

As expected, they were all already inside the infirmary – Jimin, Hoseok, Jungkook and his entire family. Jimin was the first one getting his injury treated. Hyewon carefully approached them to hear what the doctor was saying.

“This is nothing serious, you can continue playing in the game,” the doctor said, much to everyone’s relief, “but refrain from doing tosses and overhand passes since you need to use fingertips, which can make your nails crack even worse. Strictly, use your forearms only.”

Jimin frowned and protested, “But I’m a setter.”

Arching her brow, the doctor countered, “All the more reason for you to treat your nails better. You know it’s the most important thing for setters. Long, unattended nails can affect your play.”

Hyewon thought that this was the right time for her to say something to cheer him up. “It’s a relief, right? You’re an awesome receiver. I’m sure you can be a great help for the team.”

Jimin gave her a weak smile as he climbed off the bed and stood beside her. Jungkook was next in line and proceeded to sit on the edge of the bed. He was pressing a tissue on his cut in attempt to stop the bleeding, but the tissue turned bloody red so quick his mother had to give him a new sheet every few minutes. The doctor widened her eyes when she saw the cut between his wrist and forearm.

“How did you get a cut like this during a volleyball match?” she asked, baffled. Her eyes fixated on his arm and a frown formed on her face.

“Actually,” Hyewon moved a step forward and started to explain, “they ran into each other during the game and Hoseok accidentally stepped on his wrist.”

The frown on her face deepened still more. She was absorbed in thought for a moment before she turned to Hoseok. “Hoseok, right? Can I see the sole of your shoe?”

Hoseok bent down to untie his right shoe and take it off. He flipped his shoe and there’s something that looked like a sharp tiny piece of metal stuck on his sole. Looking surprised, he pulled it out and muttered, “When did I step on this?” He then put on his shoe again and limped to the wastebasket to throw it away.

“That.” The doctor pointed at the wastebasket, referring to the piece of metal. “It must be the thing that cut your arm. I’m sorry, but I’m afraid you have to go straight to the nearest hospital to get a tetanus shot. I can sterilize and treat your wound now, but the shot is still needed to prevent getting an infection.”

“But the game—” Jungkook protested.

“Yes, we’ll bring him there after this,” Mrs. Jeon quickly said, cutting her son off and sending him a glare.

Jungkook fell silent in an instant, not daring to counter his mother’s words. Dropping his gaze to the floor, he looked incredibly upset because he wouldn’t be able to join the team immediately and Hyewon could more or less understand him. If she were in his shoes, she would also be immensely disappointed knowing that she couldn’t help the team during crucial time.

After she was done patching up his wound with a strip of gauze, the doctor reassured, “Don’t worry too much. Your tea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter