The One That Was Gone

The Enemies Are Here (But You Look So Lovely)
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N: Not happy with this one but oh well, practise is a practise anyway and it'd really help if you all can give me feedbacks so that i can imrpove! ^^ Oh and i apologize for any mistakes ^^; Enjoy as much satzu as you can before... /smirk/ Alright then, see you in the next update~ XD

 

*

 

Tzuyu woke up with a terrible headache in the form of incessant, disembodied knocks behind her skull, and a blurry sight as a company. She winced and grumbled at how more frequent she experienced this.

 

She blinked away the remnant of her dreams, which, in hindsight she realized she had been so unwilling to do so, and supported her torso up with her elbows. She flinched when a sharp pain assaulted her right palm. Pulling it out from the cover of the pocket of her robe, she grimaced at the nasty gnash going from the gap between her thumb and her index finger until her wrist.

 

Right, one predator had launched its young, teenage girl body to her out of the blue and had successfully pierced its long nail to her palm before she could react. Fortunately though, the pain was much duller than last night albeit she couldn't seem to shake off the discomfort, much to her dismay.

 

Then it hit her, memories rushing to her half-awake brain like a bullet train.

 

However, before she could jump to her feet and checked her surrounding, she caught a glimpse of the curtain-less window beside where the TV was put and above the table where a couple of frames and a dead digital clock was arranged.

 

She looked away, biting her lips and was about to sweep her hair back, a habit she had developed whenever she was exasperated over something she couldn't control, until she felt a mass weighting down her arm.

 

It was Sana, sleeping soundly, chin tugged on the space between Tzuyu's arm and waist, all comfortable despite it being otherwise with the way her legs were angled and her back bending for - Tzuyu glanced at her wristwatch, barely tickling with the lack of power but this would do - two hours. Her lips were slightly puckered and her cheek pressed on Tzuyu's stomach. The sight was pretty funny but endearing as well that the bitterness and pain she had woken up with had burst like bubbles.

 

Tzuyu inspected the area around them and was glad that nothing seemed to be amiss. Seemed like the predator hadn't made a move yet, which that itself bothered her to no end. But she relished in this rare chance anyway and tugged the tresses of Sana's black mane to her ear, smiling when Sana stirred the moment the pad of her fingers skimmed around her feature, only for it to get sadder all of a sudden.

 

She loved it when Sana was asleep and that applied under every occasion and any moment. What made her felt like a total failure was, even under the spell of a sense of security sleep provided, Sana was still as distraught as ever, as if even in her dream, the predators were still looming behind her, waiting for the perfect time to charge. And this, Tzuyu couldn't help her. The older girl was on her own and she couldn't help her.

 

"...Tzuyu?"

 

Tzuyu smiled softly, matching Sana's soft morning voice. She had been spending this hellish three months with no one but Sana and one thing she had learnt she wouldn't be able to live without after this was Sana's mellifluous voice that would wrap Tzuyu's chaotic head with this silky fabric, enclosing them from cruel world and made one for their own.

 

Sana could be a little difficult sometimes, that was true. She was indeed stubborn and could be too impulsive for her own good. In the morning though it was different. She had this quality to affect Tzuyu subconsciously and the feeling was indescribable. She put her at ease, that's for sure, for some reasons she couldn't pinpoint out what exactly.

 

"Tzuyu? Why are you sta- wait. Oh crap, I fell asleep!" Sana jolted up, raising to her knees and whined when her back cracked. She looked around frantically and Tzuyu let her bare feet touched the wooden floor - Sana must have taken off her boots when she was sleeping.

 

"It's alright. They haven't come, yet." She assured.

 

"I'm sorry, I was dozing off a-and I -"

 

"Sshh." Tzuyu hushed her, instinctively reacing for her katanas that was placed beside the couch and strapped it on her shoulder. She gave a hand to Sana and helped her up. "It's okay, it's only been two hours. Beside, it's the night’s still on. We can sneak around better without being caught."

 

Sana was about to protest but Tzuyu lifted one of her eyebrows, one way that showed she had terminated the argument. Unknown to her, Sana's eyes trailed down to where her injured palm was resting on her lap and gasped audibly. Tzuyu was at lost at first, but the why question regarding Sana's sudden gasp was answered when she snatched her right arm and held it up.

 

"What is this?!" She asked sternly. Tzuyu exhaled a breath. It would be one of a hell ride to explain herself.

 

"It was a sudden attack." Tzuyu said vaguely. "I didn't want to worry you..."

 

"Well, nice try Tzuyu but now I'm more worried that you might hide more things from me." Sana replied with a huff and stomping her way to fetch their dying supply of first aid kit.

 

Tzuyu followed to where Sana was rummaging through an old-looking bag with frayed edge they had found in one of the closets inside this house and was pushed to sit on the kitchen counter as Sana went to tend her closing wound.

 

When Sana kept her mum, Tzuyu decided to add. "Hey, you know I'll be fine after five hours. It would be like I never have gotten the cut in the first place!"

 

"But that doesn't mean I can stop worrying about you." Sana scoffed but her adept movement faltered a little bit, so did the strong demeanor she was trying to put up. She dabbed a cotton pad with a bottle of alcohol and patted it on the reddish line of the wound. Tzuyu tried not to groan so that she wouldn’t worry her even further. "I mean, I know you've been 'gifted' and all but everything is still a mystery. We don't know what happened yet and I can't help but to fear for the worst."

 

That might be odd to one, because honestly this was odd for Tzuyu as well. Although she couldn't entirely withstand any pain and the mere feeling of being physically hurt, she healed faster than anyone could ever be.

 

Based from her experience so far, it took her roughly five hours to heal bruises and once those five hours had passed, not even the scar could be seen. She didn't know about how much her self-heal ability could go though and she wasn't so keen to find out about it in case something went wrong.

 

Truth to be told, her whole system had been quite... in a mess after she was thrown midair by the peculiar tire-like object from the first day of the invasion. Not only did she earn herself a totally different set of eyes, it was like her brain and immune worked in a new way. If she was focused, she would be able to read the pattern of the predators' movement when she encountered them, as though her brains had adopted the sequence of their attacking style for her to take advantage of.

 

Although she remembered how mortified she was when she saw the reflection of a stranger eyes, comprehending a tad late that those misty, aquatic orbs were hers to begin with, they brought more good than bad to Tzuyu's end and Sana, after one long month of wariness, admitted that they did.

 

"I'll be alright Sana. I know my limit, so you don't have to worry." She tried to convince her but her words backfired her instead.

 

"And your tendency to push yourself over the limit should make me feel any better?" Sana crossed her arms.

 

Tzuyu rubbed her nape sheepishly and muttered a slow 'thanks' once Sana finished wrapping her palm with a bandage.

 

"Let's just go. We barely have enough food for three days, and that has been added with what you’ve found yesterday. We have to find more somehow." Sana sighed and Tzuyu caught on her tone, a tone that pretty much indicated how Sana was presumably upset.

 

Tzuyu felt bad instantly, but thinking that Sana needed some minutes to cool down, she decided to leave her alone and carried the things Sana had packed for them in the living room, taking some of Sana's bags as a compensation for making her upset. She checked for any things they could have forgotten and nodded in satisfied when there was none. Sana came back from upstairs and joined her in the foyer. They shivered when the crisp wind of 4AM greet them good morning.

 

The older girl put on her own robe as Tzuyu put on her hood. This was to lessen the chance from gaining predators' attention because again their eyesight were poor and hence they ought to blend more with the night to avoid getting spotted.

 

Tzuyu gave the house one last glance, sparing two seconds to the tiny, pink shoes and walked out to the exposed world beyond the doorframe, Sana close beside her. They were aiming to arrive at the city hall before the sun rise, a safe choice since the predators turned out to be heavily concentrated on the south region whereas the city was right in the middle of the south and this neighborhood. Judging from how they were at the suburbs though, it sure

Please log in to read the full chapter