The Guy on the Steps

The Girl on the Steps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Anna didn’t know how long she’d been sitting on these steps, huddled against the pillar, crying her eyes out. All she could remember was her rushing out of the restaurant after an awkward ‘goodbye, thank you for your time, but I think we were better off as friends’ hug following an even more awkward ‘I thought this is a romantic dinner, but turns out you want to talk about our breakup’ date. She remembered walking around the city aimlessly and finally decided to take refuge on these steps when the tears she’d been trying to hold back escaped.

 

She knew she was no longer alone when she sensed someone took a seat next to her. The person didn’t exactly invade her personal space, but the sudden presence of another person after hours of solitude was a bit jarring and to be honest, very uncomfortable. Can’t you see I’m crying here? Some space would be nice, Anna thought as she tried to control her sobs and sniffles.

 

Anna sneaked a peek at the person between her arm and knees; it was a guy in his mid-twenties and he looked harmless enough. Apart from the fact that he was sitting on the steps next to a crying girl in the middle of the night, he was decidedly as normal as a person could be. He was looking across the streets without acknowledging Anna’s presence. For some reason, that provided her with a sense of companionship. Without her knowing it, her sobs subsided till she was just sitting there with her head between her knees, thinking calmly about what happened a couple of hours ago.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Anna was startled by the sudden question. She took several calming breaths before looking over at the guy. After staring at the guy for a few seconds, she wiped at her tears and replied, “I’m fine,”

 

Nodding at her response, the guy looked at his watch. “Um,” he seemed to struggle with what to say for a moment and then pointed to his watch. “It is late. Go home. Um, walk or um, car, um,” and then he started speak in another language that sounded familiar to her ears.

 

“Korean?”

 

The guy nodded, visibly brightened and continued speaking to her in the foreign language. Anna shook her head and held up her hands as though to stop his speech. “I had no idea what you’ve just said. I know some Korean because I watched dramas, but I don’t really understand it,”

 

The guy sighed. After a while, he decided to try again. He showed her the time. “It’s late,” he said. Anna nodded. “Dangerous. Go home,” Somehow, the guy’s attempt at communication warmed her heart. Anna gave him the ‘okay’ gesture to let him know that she understood him. The guy was about to say something when her phone rang. She flashed him an apologetic smile before answering the call.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Where are you?”

 

Anna sighed. “Harry, I’m fine. I’m at the steps right opposite Grub Street,”

 

“What are you doing there in the middle of the night? Are you okay?” her friend sounded anxious.

 

“I assumed he told you? Don’t worry, I’m fine. I’m on my way back,”

 

“He’s a , but yeah, he just told me. Asked me to check on you since you haven’t been answering his texts and he’s worried,”

 

Anna snorted. “Well, excuse me for not wanting to respond to any texts from the guy who broke up with me just hours ago,”

 

She heard a long sigh from the other end of the line. “I’ll come and get you, yeah? I’m around the area,” Anna gave him an affirmative response and disconnected the call. It was then that she realised the guy was still seated next to her.

 

“I’m going back now. My friend is giving me a ride back - he’s just around the corner,” she stood up and from the corner of her eyes, she noticed the guy doing the same. “You can leave now. Thanks though, for keeping me company, I guess,” she told him.

 

The guy just gave her a puzzled expression. Now, it was Anna’s turn to struggle with what to say. “Friend,” she uttered the Korean word she knew from watching dramas, “Driving,” she mimed her hands on the steering wheel. “Me,” she pointed at herself. “Home,” Gosh, this is kind of silly. Is this how he felt earlier? Anna thought.

 

Thankfully, the guy seemed to have understood her as he signed the ‘okay’ gesture.

 

“You should leave too. I’m okay,” Anna pointed at him and gestured for him to leave.

 

The guy shook his head and grinned. “Wait together,”

 

That’s so nice of you, Anna thought. She found herself smiling back as she nodded. They stood waiting in comfortable silence. After a while, Anna saw Harry’s car pulled up. She waved at him after the two honks and turned to the guy by her side.

 

“That’s my friend,” Then said “Friend. Thanks again for keeping me company,” Anna didn’t know what came over her, but she pulled the guy into a quick hug. “Bye. Thank you,”

 

As she walked towards the car, she felt a hand grabbed onto her elbow and turned her around. “Are you okay? Really?” the guy asked, his face concerned.

 

Anna nodded. It is true that she might not be completely okay right

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter