The Girl on the Steps

The Girl on the Steps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is truly my first ever attempt in writing a fic. But it was abandoned before I could finish it, however due to much encouragement from msinpinitu/kpumsy, I managed to finally complete this fic. (It was written at a time where I'm a light Directioner, hence the cameo by Niall Horan.) Anyway, happy reading and please let me know what do you think! 

 

 

The first time they met (Woohyun did not know at that time that they will have more than one encounters) he was strolling the streets of London aimlessly. He slipped out of the hotel several hours after their concert dressed as inconspicuously as possible. He needed to relieve some tension – as much as he loved his job and adored his fans, performing night after night took some toll on his body.

 

He’d just turn round a corner when he heard something. Woohyun stood frozen. Not that he was scared, of course not, he scoffed, but it was almost three in the morning and the street was sort of dark and it was a weird sound. Woohyun stood still for a moment more, waiting to see if he’d heard wrongly. He was about to continue walking when he heard it again. It sounded like someone was trying to choke back a sob.

 

Woohyun managed to locate the source of the sound. Someone sat huddled against a pillar on the steps of a building about five meters away. Woohyun was about to leave when he heard sniffles and another attempt to choke back a sob. Deciding that he couldn’t exactly leave someone crying on the steps of a building at freaking three o’clock in the morning, Woohyun plopped down next to the figure. He knew that the girl noticed his presence by the way she stiffened as soon as he was seated. She had her head on her knees as her arms wrapped around her leg and Woohyun could tell that she’s trying harder to stifle her sobs when she realized she was no longer alone. She made no effort to acknowledge his presence so Woohyun just sat there quietly next to her.

 

He had no idea how long they’d been sitting there on the steps. Him, just sitting there looking at the buildings across the street and counting the number of windows there were and her crying softly. When the crying seemed to have stopped, Woohyun turned to the stranger and asked in English, “Are you okay?”

 

The girl stiffened at the sound of his voice. She was quiet for a moment and then she lifted her head from her knees. Her eyes were slightly puffy from her crying, Woohyun noted. He tried not to fidget as she stared at him, feeling a little self-conscious about how he looked without makeup. She wiped her tears. “I’m fine”

 

Woohyun nodded. He looked at his watch. 3:35am. “Um,” he tried to recall all the English words that he had crammed into his head. “It is late” he showed her the time “Go home. Um, walk or um, car, um, damn it’s hard. How do I say this? Do you live nearby? Are you walking back? Or do you have a car?” he gave up halfway and just mimed the actions as he asked in Korean.

 

“Korean?” she asked.

 

“Oh! You speak Korean? That’s great. You should head back home now. It’s late and it’s dangerous for a girl to be alone out here. How are you getting back?”

 

The girl shook her head. “I had no idea what you’ve just said. I know some Korean because I watched dramas, but I don’t really understand it,”

 

Woohyun sighed. He could not understand what she’d just said but he managed to catch the word ‘drama’.  From that, he deduced that the girl could tell that he’s Korean possibly because she’d been watching Korean dramas and she sorta knew how Korean sounded like.

 

Woohyun showed her the time again. “It’s late” he said as she nodded. “Dangerous. Go home” he tried his best to convey his message.

 

The girl seemed to understand what he’s trying to say. She nodded and showed him the international gesture for okay. Just as he was about to ask (or more like mime) how she’s getting back home, her phone rang. She flashed him an apologetic smile before answering the call. He doesn’t understand most of what she’s saying to the other person on the line, but he managed to catch a few words that he knew. Fine, don’t worry, I’m okay, on my way back.

 

When she ended the call, she turned around and looked at Woohyun.

 

“I’m going back now. My friend is giving me a ride back – he’s just around the corner.” She said as she stood up. Woohyun stood up as well, dusting his pants. “You can leave now. Thanks though, for keeping me company, I guess”

 

Woohyun cocked his eyebrow. It was the girl’s turn to hem and haw, trying to communicate with him. “Friend, driving,” she mimed her hands on the steering wheel. “Me” she pointed at herself. “Home”

 

Understanding what she’s trying to tell him, Woohyun signed okay.

 

“You should leave too. I’m okay” she pointed at him and gestured for him to leave with a smile.

 

Woohyun shook his head. “Wait together” he grinned.

 

Her smile widened and she nodded. They st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter