After The Rain

Spring Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was one of those days when one were feeling incredibly down for no apparent reason and Ryu Sujeong was one of those girls that decided to get caught. The final examination was just around the corner yet she simply did not have the urge to even touch her pile of books which was uncanny for someone as studious and determined to ace the papers. Every single thing she worked hard for lately had been going down the drain and it conveniently included her energy and soul. It all started when she lost her best friend.

 

Studying used to be so much fun before his girlfriend came into the picture. They would sit underneath the shady tree in her favourite part of the school ground. That was all in the past now and there she was letting out a long sigh as she gazed over her surroundings from the fourth level of the school building, the rooftop. It became a great place to escape once the school bell rang to be alone, reading away. However, that could be done if it was not for her brain to randomly recall memories taken place seasons before spring marked its way once again for the year.

 

 

After the day she knew of his best friend’s girlfriend’s doing behind his back, Sujeong could not look at her at the same picture anymore. She rejected to hang out with the two which surely caused Jungkook to be all confused as she never let down any invitation from him but he made no effort to force his friend any longer. Automatically, their relationship turned out to be the talk of students in the entire school since they found it rather strange not to see Jungkook and Sujeong walking together, side by side with cheerful laughter and bright smiles. Instead, they witnessed Jungkook strolling at ease with Yein’s hand in his while Sujeong was no longer smiling as she chatted away with her desk-mate, Taehyung who seemed to listen keenly to her stories with a small curve of his lips from time to time.

 

Taehyung on the other hand to be frank was more than happy to lend his ears. Even though his heart might be shot off a couple of times whenever Sujeong’s eyes went straight to the classroom window only to see Jungkook passing by with his girl. Snapping her attention by gently tapping the table usually worked wonders but not that one particular time because she was too preoccupied throwing imaginary daggers at that one girl who ruined most important thing in her life.

 

“You actually come. I thought you would go to the court since Jungkook opened a fruit stand there for the event.” Taehyung knew how much the girl in front of him loved the freshly cut fruits but there she was at the backstage once his performance for the fundraising day just ended. “I rather watch you acting as the handsome prince anytime, Tae. Besides, he can have his so-call loyal girlfriend to buy everything at the stand. I heard she’s rich.” Sujeong rolled her eyes.

 

“You do know I’m just joking. Alright, wait here for me. I have to change. We can enjoy the rest of the day away from the court if that’s what you want.” He suggested but of course it turned to the opposite side. Most of the event did held in the court so whether Sujeong hated it or not, she had to walk pass Jungkook one way or another. She almost let out a groan in annoyance when she heard someone called her by her full name behind her. Taehyung signalled her to resist the urge to turn but when he was being persistent and ran towards her, she could not avoid him any longer.

 

“Sujeong-ah, I haven’t seen you around school today. Oh, I guess I can tell where you might have been.” Jungkook said rather in his excited tone at first before slowly changing to more on the disappointed side as the sentence ended. His eyes made contact with Taehyung’s briefly as he scanned the other from his top to bottom, judging him in some way. “You’re just tending the fruit stand. There’s nothing new.” She admitted with a visible scowl before walking off, away from the fellow.

 

 “Hey, Sujeong-ah, how about we play those? That looks fun.” Taehyung suggested giddily before pulling her towards one of the game booths put up by the students. Apparently, he had chosen the best rage relief game there was in the room. It was a tossing game where by one should knock down stacked tins as many as possible. A small genuine smile managed to appear on her face that day which he was super happy to see.

 

After two rounds of the game, Sujeong unexpectedly grew even more unsatisfied when she realised her effort was anything but useful because no matter how many she threw her ammo on the tins, she could not defeat the previous records of ten tins which happened to be taken by no other than Jeon Jungkook himself. Seeing her all frustrated was the last straw to finally have a reason to join in as well. Taehyung paid for the game with determination firing in his eyes which led his hands to work extra time. He was tired from the stage play but he was too immersed in the game to notice he had beaten Jungkook’s record with additional five points.

 

“Wow, you’re great at this, Tae! You can even claim a prize.” Sujeong noted with a pout on her face as her eyes scanned at the shelves of mentioned prizes. There were a lot to choose from. Starting from the biggest teddy bear, an expensive set of sunglass, Taehyung’s gaze landed on something unexpected. He could have picked something for himself but he saw a pair leather wristband that came in with flower and diamond charms respectively. “I take that one, please.” He said which caused her to merely furrow her brows out of pure puzzlement.

 

“You could’ve taken that one glasses though. Why are you taking the bracelets?” Sujeong questioned as they made their way to the main stage set up for the closing of the fundraising day. After taking their seats by the second row, Taehyung gently took her left hand before strapping the one with flower charm on her. “That’s because you worked hard not to earn anything from that one game. So I decided to take something we both can have. See? Isn’t that nice of me?” He smiled widely, showing his signature boxy smile that she grew fond of. Raising his left arm within her sight, she saw he already worn the diamond one.

 

It was only then Sujeong felt an unknown bubble appearing in her heart. It was a warm tingling sensation that she could not seem to stop from glancing at the bracelets on her and his hands. It was the first gift she ever got from a friend, not even Jungkook gave her anything as random. Looking up to meet his eyes, she uttered short thanks. She swore she heard him saying somewhere along the line sounded, ‘anything to make my girl happy’ or something near to that. That sentence alone had twisted a smile on her face out of the blue.

 

“You’re too kind for me, Taehyung-ah.” Sujeong voiced to the air as her mind returned back to the present time. The wind at the rooftop began to pick up its pace as she walked towards the edge of the building. Separating her from the other vast side was visually weak steel fence, standing up to her waistline. Since supposedly not many to come there in the first place, the school never bothered to change the place.

 

 

It was relatively early in her opinion yet the looming cloud from afar was a great signal of her most hated weather was coming. Making up her mind to leave for home, Sujeong quickly shoved her Biology textbook into her bag without a single hope of even passing the subject. Her mind was trying to solve too many things at once to one point multitasking did not seem to be the answer anymore. Trudging down through the empty hallway, she let out a long sigh. Before her body even reached the double door however, a part of her mind suddenly triggered a red light, reminding a thing she had forgotten.

 

“My calculator!” She shouted to no one in particular. She would definitely need it if she wanted to finish her Mathematics homework which was due the next day. Spun on her heels almost instantly, she made a few fast steps towards her classroom with a worried heart. For once, she was glad to see the door was still open since most should already lock for the day. But who might be in there at that kind of time to start with?

 

It was late and most students picked the library in order to study with their friends. Classroom was not somewhere they were allowed to be in after the bell rang unless it was a detention class. She cur

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter