The Rain

Spring Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It is raining today, another rainy spring day. To be honest, remembering it only make her realised how much she hates the rain. She hates it. She hates it a lot. The only reason to that will be merely because it is the season, weather their first meeting and also how they separated. It was such a pitiful story yet here she is, Ryu Sujeong, retelling everyone exactly what happened starting from day one. One can only forgive than to forget.

 

The pitter-patter of the drizzling rain was heard, knocking the windowpane of her nicely decorated room. There was barely any light as dark clouds decided to make its appearance that day. Therefore, she had no choice but to reluctantly wake up from her six hours of sleep rather groggily. Rubbing her eyes gently, her gaze flew over to her closed window and wondered what a perfect way to begin a brand new set of semester. After a warm shower, she got herself ready and set off to the living room.

 

Her father was patiently waiting for her by the kitchen counter, sipping his last drop of coffee before walking towards her, grabbing an umbrella that was tucked on the corner of the door on the go. Sujeong had no intention of eating at home that morning which was why her mother only shook her head with a smile plastered on her face. The girl was planning to snack off in the car instead as usual she guessed. She was the only daughter after all so the mother knew very much how she would act.

 

As it was indeed first day of high school for her, others who were of the same age seemed to have the same idea by getting their parents and guardians to send them to school since it was pouring in Seoul. Huge traffic congestion managed to occur due to the fact not only the teenagers had to reach their destinations. In fact, the adults were also out to rush over to their designated workplaces around town. And conveniently (in sarcasm of course) the road they were on was the only one leading to the school.

 

Sujeong grew fidgeted in her seat as she kept on glancing from her wristwatch and the window from time to time. Being late on her first day was not in her bucket list. Truthfully, it was in her what-never-to-do list instead. The last time she looked, the arrows were on seven and eight respectively, showing the possibility of her running late. The teachers would understand that was what Mr Ryu stated calmly unlike his daughter’s slightly panicking expression. He was the owner of a shop by the street so technically; he had no worry to appear tardy, not that he ever done so in his life from her observations.

 

However, the sixteen year old Sujeong could not wait any longer. Having a good hold of the small sized umbrella in her hands, she decided to make a drastic move and that was to run. Yes, she would run to her school. It was not that far judging by the outline of the school metres away down the road. Opening the door shockingly, she immediately opened her umbrella before dashing off. She heard her father’s faint voice calling for her under all the rain but she did not care; nor that did she mind when she ditched the idea of covering herself with the object. Tossing it away on the sidewalk, she increased her pace.

 

She never felt so alive after the long holiday break ended. The rain which drenched her seemed to bring out a new surge of energy aside the gloomy weather. As she reached the large gate, her smile that managed to find its way on her face almost made its turn when she saw it was about to close. Running faster than before, she arrived at the school gate at record time. Well only because thanks to a certain someone, the security guard stopped his action from closing. Making it on time, her body was completely soaked as she continued walking towards the building without knowing the same person was trailing behind.

 

A black jacket landed gracefully on Sujeong’s shoulders as she stood by the hallway. Blush suddenly crept on her cheeks; she bravely turned her head upwards from eyeing the floor only to meet the owner’s gentle and heart-warming smile. “I would suggest you change out of that but I guess you have to stay in those for a while. The bell just rang.” He spoke and she slowly nodded, agreeing his statement.

 

It was their first time meeting. Therefore it was only logic for him to good-naturedly introduce himself. Jeon Jungkook was his name and frankly speaking, he liked the way she said his name. Actually, he always had this instant reaction where he would run away from anybody of the opposite gender but she was the only ones around as he too was late. Not as late as her but you get the idea. Also she seemed to need all the heat to prevent from cold. Moments later, she politely mentioned that they had to be in class if they did not want any trouble on the first day. They already had the schedule in mind since there was an orientation a week before.

 

Ever since that day, the two grew closer. They had their own friends too since they were not sharing entirely the same schedule or sitting in different seats if they did have the same classes but let’s come clean, seventy percentage of their time hanging out with friends were actually them meeting one another. Even Sujeong’s close acquaintance in her Mathematics class noticed the way their friendship worked. Speaking of the so-called acquaintance, safely to say, he was the second in line whenever Jungkook would occupy by after school activities and such.

 

Kim Taehyung was the top student in any classes she shared. He was smart admittedly but hidden behind his nerdy pair of black-rimmed spectacles were another set of person. Contrast to his clever mind, he had a soft spot in acting which was a major reason of him being one of those popular kids in school. Being on stage for short theatre performance, Sujeong would be the one to be filling one of the many seats in the hall with Jungkook occasionally joined in too. Needless all of that, the girl would always choose the Jeon rather than Kim if two events were to happen on the same day.

 

Being the male, it made sense for Taehyung to feel a tad jealous at her close relationship with the other lad. They only talked once and it was not even a decent one as it was only resulting awkwardness to linger in the backstage of one of his theatrical performance. He was dragged there. He could feel it judging on how he saw the girl literally pulled the latter. At that point of time, rumours would float around the school grounds with people mistake their so-called friendship since Ryu Sujeong and Jeon Jungkook were seemed to be inseparable.

 

There was one particular day on the second year of school. It was on that day, Sujeong had realised how far their relationship had fallen into. Jungkook was nowhere to be seen in school which made her worried about him. She would call him but it happened to be on the day where she decided to leave her phone at home. Surely enough, it managed to cause her to be more distracted than her usual morning daze. The way her eyes wandering over to the window as the minutes ticked by were noticeable by her fellow desk-mate. When the teacher had her back facing them, he asked.

 

“Sujeong-ah, are you there? Come back to Maths class please.” Taehyung cheekily poked her cheek with his pen, capped on. She came back alright with a short reply of ‘huh’ before he continued, “What are you even thinking? Something must be troubling you since you’ve been quiet today. Look, you aren’t even taking any notes.” He pointed out as he whispered from the start, not wanting to gain any unnecessary attention.

 

“Jungkook is not in school today. He never absent before and it makes me worried for some reason. Is this normal?” It was her turn to question and she got no answer from the fellow male. It was not because he did not know the answer. Heck, he knew the answer too much that it hurt him to make any reply. Friendly note on the side, hearing Jungkook’s name rolled off her tongue was very normal as she would always mention him every time they exchanged conversation. The way her eyes twinkled and sharing random stories regarding the fellow irked him even the slightest – jealousy at its finest, one would clarify.

 

Ryu Sujeong had fallen for Jeon Jungkook, deeper as the day passed by. How did she realise the feeling? She did not know by logic. Nevertheless, she tried her best to control the overwhelming bubble of foreign feeling in her heart, afraid the lovely relationship they built would destroy merely because of one word. When told, she unexpectedly repelled her other male friend. Surprised by the cold treatment after the day of her spilling out her feelings, she had no one to seek. Instead, she would scream behind her fluffy pillow in her bedroom as everything Jungkook did with after she was sure of her feelings was seen in a whole new perspective.

 

He was her first love or one-sided love to be precise. Most of her female friends she was able to stumble upon would say it was normal and it would not hurt. Well to Sujeong, that was all lies. It hurt a lot in her view especially when she knew that he who she grew attached with would never return the same feeling. Yet the girl still stay close with him as he would be the only one made her heart race fast, requiring less time exercising. Yes, that was not how it worked but it was easier to say that she was stubborn not to act professional and mature for her age.

 

Once days turned weeks. As weeks turned into months, it was another typical school day…or that was what Sujeong had in mind. While she had her head on the table, doodling away on a piece of scrap paper, her homeroom teacher walked in with uncommon news. It was not often to see a new face in school which was why that day was different. Lifting her head off, her eyes found figure that seemed a tad younger than her stood a metre away from the teacher.

 

“Alright, students, we will have a new student from today. How about you introduce yourself to the class? Make it short and sweet.” The teacher stated with a cheery smile and same expression applied with the new student. “Good morning everyone, I’m Jung Yein and I’m from Incheon. It’s nice meeting you.” The girl bowed shortly afterward before sprung back up with a brighter smile if it was a possible thing to do.

 

The homeroom teacher continued to state a few interesting fact about the girl though in Sujeong’s opinion. The girl or she should start addressing as Yein was indeed younger than her but she jumped a couple of semesters ahead due to her excellence in her academic studies. As her previous school did not apply such system, they suggested her to continue elsewhere which happened to be her school.

 

Sujeong’s seat was at the second last row in the class. For that reason, her head instinctively followed the new girl’s movement who walked straight to back seats where apparently her crush, her best friend already had an eye on her. Those were the same pair with the same look glinting. It was how she remembered him looking at her on their very first meeting. The warm welcome gaze and what? Was that a shy smile she saw when the girl greeted him? Of course, the chair beside him was the only empty one in the whole classroom. She would want to sit there but the arrangement was made by the teacher.

 

Unlike the typical Jeon Jungkook who only talked to her as his one and only female friend in school, he happily chatted with her. Sujeong would surely have a hard time to say the girl’s name when she thought about it. There was a shiver ran down her spine when she heard light chattering coming from them to one point the teacher had to call out their names to stop them.

 

Maybe he was being friendly since she was a new student after all, right? It was only fair. She did not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter