Chapter Three

Antipode
Please log in to read the full chapter

let's pretend that how a printing shop works. aaaa man im such a bad writer. anyway, this one's long. sorry if there are typos somewhere! :-( forgive me im trying to release my stress and ideas through writing on an ipad :-) (it's not comfy if u're wondering i wanna hear some realistic keyboard clicks)

 

Antipode
Chapter Three — New

 


It's a normal Friday for Yoon Mina. Just her usual nine a.m to four p.m work, her desk with an opened photo editing software on a computer, and a coffee at the side. The air conditioner is lowly buzzing, and the only noises that can only be heard are the faint music inside the office and the printing machines on the other room. Manager Shim is overseeing the printing, and her other two friends are busy with their own works: Yoori in-charge with the sales and inventory and Seol with the clients' information. The printing shop, though small, is packed with works on a daily basis. 

Mina saves another finished layout for a client. She sends it via email to the client, and waits for the approval. The shop is known for its punctuality, so when they say to watch out for email approvals, two days after they made the transaction, clients actually do that, and they'd have no problem with the products. 

Minutes after she sent the email, she gets a reply. The layout is approved.

She sips onto her coffee before reaching for the telephone. An employee in-charge of printing on the other room answers.

"Kiyoung-ssi, I sent you an approved layout. It's for client 23, Kim Seongjun." Mina says on the phone.

On the background, the doors open and make a ringing sound. 

"Good morning and welcome, sir! What can we do to help you?"

"Client 23... This is for the birthday party?" The man named Kiyoung asks on the other line.

Mina rolls her swivel chair on the other side of her desk, flipping over the pages. "Yes. Have you seen the details?"

"Yes. Gray card stock, twelve by twelve centimeters, inside a gold envelope. Got it."

Mina puts down the phone. After she checks out a document, she rolls her chair again back to her computer, only to be greeted by a young man who is cheekily peeking at her computer, leaning onto her cubicle. When he notices that Mina is back, he grins at her and stands up properly. 

Mina blinks. He's handsome, and she's out of words.

"Ah, sir, you should fill out some forms first at that desk." A woman escorts the young client to Seol who seems to be restraining a smile. The short girl sends Mina a knowing smile, and the latter only shakes her head.

"Good morning, sir!" Mina hears Seol greet him. The other things that they talk about fade as Mina drowns in concentration. She is starting a new layout again.

She hasn't even read the client's preferences when the guy appears again, with a paper on his hand.

Mina stands up and timidly smiles, "Good morning, sir...?"

The brunet perks up, offering his hand, "Jongin. Kim Jongin."

She shakes hand with him, "Sir Jongin. My name is Mina and I am in-charge of layouts. Please, sit."

The guy named Jongin obeys, sitting on a spare chair beside Mina, and the latter follows suit. She offers her both hands to get the paper, which the young man gladly gives. She runs her eyes through it.

"A dancing class?"

Jongin nods. His charming smile seems like it's not leaving anytime soon. "Yes. I'll be inviting some people but I think four persons aren't enough, so I figured I need some fliers."

Mina shows an approving look, "Do you already have ideas in mind or will it be up to me?"

Jongin waves his both hands, "I'll leave it to you. But please, do make it colorful. I want it to catch some attention."

Mina nods and flashes a small smile. "Noted. Is there anything else, sir?"

"That is all. I should get going." Jongin stands up, and so does she, "When can I pick the fliers up?"

"You can pick them up on Monday. Also, please wait for the layout approval that will be sent to you via e-mail."

"No need for approval. I trust you." Jongin smiles for the last time before bowing and taking his leave. 

Mina is left confused, and all she hears is the ringing bells of the door.

 

She doesn't have work on weekends, but she takes them home. Her weekends are always spent creating designs for their clients. Other than writing, Mina's current job is actually making her happy. She doesn't feel like she's being forced, and she's glad that her works are used by people to communicate or persuade others. Getting money from it is a plus.
Saturday and Sunday passed by like a blur. It is Monday, and she's back on her own cubicle, with Seol and Yoori joining her. They are on their lunch break when a client comes in. Mina immediately remembers the familiar face.

Mister Kim Jongin.

Seol finishes her drink before standing up to assist the young man. Yoori and Mina leave their unfinished food to get to work. 

"Good afternoon, sir! What can we help you with?" Seol greets as she gets back to her own cubicle, reaching for the client list.

"Ah, I'm just here to pick up the fliers. Mina-ssi told me I can get them today."

"Name, sir?"

"Kim Jongin."

Mina peeks at the young man on the other side of the room. He remembers her name, which is unusual, since their customers often forget their names. Some don't even bother. 
"Yes, sir. They're ready for pick-up. Please wait here as I get the fliers."

"Thank you." Jongin smiles and is left by himself as Seol disappeared to the other room. Mina retracts her head back to her desk when Jongin's eyes fell into her direction. Oblivious to her, the guy keeps an amused grin after seeing her poor attempt at stealth.

Mina distracts herself with the opened Photoshop window. A door opens, and Seol's voice mixes with the buzzing of the air conditioner. "Fifty fliers for client Kim."

Mina takes a peek again, and she sees Jongin giving Seol a flier. "Please do come if you have time."

"Thank you, mister Kim." Seol smiles as she reads through the flier.

Jongin walks over Mina's cubicle, and all the latter can do is blink. The brunet hands her a flier, which she accepts. She looks at her own layout design that she worked on for two hours. 

"Mina-ssi, I would appreciate it if you'd come. You can bring your friends along. Don't worry, I don't intend any harm. It's a simple for of 'thank you' for working hard." Mina looks up at him only to see him flashing his charming smile again. 

She can only nod and watch him go. When the door opens, she catches a glimpse of a black car outside. 

Everything is weird. It is the first time that someone invited her to an event–well, other than her two friends, at least. Moreover, a dancing class? Mina is into art, but dancing is definitely not her field. It's energy-consuming, plus, something that makes you stand out is not for a wallflower like her.

Mina sits back on her swivel chair and stares at the piece of paper. She knows well that the class is on Saturday, two p.m, in a dance studio just a few blocks away from here. On her peripheral view, she sees Seol approaching.

Another weird thing is Mina's actually thinking if she's going or not.

It's not that she really wants to go, but it would be rude to not comply to the client's invitation. He had invited her personally and sincerely, so what's stopping her?

"Mina, are you going?" Seol asks as she takes a seat beside her. Manager Shim is not around to scold them for 'slacking off'.

"I... don't know. Are you?"

Please log in to read the full chapter