Final.

Beauty Or A Beast
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Monster," the girl breathed shakily letting a tear slip out the corner of her pitch black eyes and down her porcelain skin. Her gaze harshly judged the repulsive reflection in the mirror before her. The pale complexion of her skin was stained with faded black veins that extended from her eyes, seeming to disappear in her skin as they reach out to her temples and cheeks. The lone tear rolled from her chin down her equally pale neck that lacked a healthy tinge of color. It trickled over the darker black veins that stood out against the white skin of her neck.

She dug her dark nails into the many layers of lace of her black gown, trying to stop anymore tears from gathering in her eyes as she condemned her appearance. She stared at the dark jagged horns that protruded from her head and examined the large black wings that extended from her back with a dark aura that radiated from them.

She was the descendant of Pandora - Yoo Chiyeon.

It was every black moon this would occur. She had no control over her transformation. The one she had despised ever since her coming of age 4 years prior.

Being a descendant of Pandora was nothing like normal ancestry. Pandora handpicked her descendants and bestowed upon them powers fueled by the sins released from Pandora's box. Every black moon, the sins were exceptionally strong.

Chiyeon was the child of highly ranked kingdom governors and was a respected maiden of high status who excelled in every aspect. Despite being raised by her aunt after becoming an orphan due the passing of her mother and father, she was benevolent and intelligent and even humbled herself to befriend the townspeople of different status, regardless. Chiyeon became a household name and all the people in the town looked forward to her coming of age. But nobody expected her to shut herself off from the people on her big day.

Her plain life of peace turned into an awry suspense of being exposed as a monster. There was no explanation and nobody knew of her mystical form as a dark angel, much less the detail of her being a direct descendant of Sin.

Her mystical being was a curse. One that pulled an extremely sensitive trigger at her insecurities, one not many would be able to accept and one that she herself could not accept. All she saw herself as was a beast and Chiyeon refused to show her true self to anyone. Not even Prince Jung Hoseok, her fiancé. Especially not when he was a Truthseeker, a form of an angel of light.

They weren't a couple that were engaged out of mutual love, but Chiyeon had been fond of Hoseok for as long as she could remember. The latter on the other hand, seemed to be fond of all the fine ladies in the land. Week after week he accompanied different women of high ranking and status. They were all beautiful, brilliant and elegant but shared a common downfall. That being their impure intentions of seducing the prince so they could get their hands on the crowning throne of Beaties.

He was on a mission, to find someone he truly loved. To show his father he could marry someone he loved who loved him back sincerely and was still beneficial to the kingdom. Someone selfless and pure like his former lover, Suzy of Missei. She was a woman highly commended by the King but broke his trust when she ended her relationship with Hoseok after falling in love with another man.

They were young, feelings changed but Hoseok was heartbroken for several years before finally moving on. He set out on a new quest to find his future Queen. Someone who was pure and had no intention to marry him for the power and riches that came with the crown and throne.

His abilities as a Truthseeker enabled him to read dark auras which uncovered the true intentions of the women that approached him.

He courted many women of different ages and backgrounds. Although his intentions were merely to get to know them, everything was rather negatively misread by his wife-to-be. The only girl he failed to court was his own fiancée herself. He always found her difficult to approach because she always seemed to shy away, being wary of him at any given time. He figured that she disliked him, but oddly there was no negative aura around her that told him that for sure.

When it came to Yoo Chiyeon, Hoseok only ever felt waves of uncertainty revolve around her. And around a certain time, like a cycle, he would sense immense sadness and hatred when she would lock herself in her chambers. What it was? He could never tell. Truthseekers were not mind readers, they were aura readers.

Whatever the reason, Hoseok was determined to get to the bottom of it eventually.




"You look beautiful today, Lady Suri," Hoseok said with a charming smile.

"You're flattering me," the elegant lady covered as she smiled at the other's compliment, waving her other hand in front of her face.

Hoseok and his lady of the day were at the main doors where the man was greeting her before commencing with dinner as he had planned. The Crown Princess descended down the staircase from the mezzanine. She witnessed the sight of Hoseok offering his hand for his companion to hold so he could guide her to the dining hall.

"Lady Hae, please send my meal to my chambers. I do not wish to interrupt the Prince's courting session," Chiyeon asked the head maid.

Hoseok turned to face where the light chatter was coming from and noticed his fiancée now ascending the stairs. But what really caught his attention was the subtle green aura that protruded from her.

 

Envy?

The Prince's brows furrowed in confusion. There was no such thing as reading an aura wrong in Truthseeker history. Even if you don't pay attention to the color of an aura, the waves of energy produced by it that reaches the eyes of a Truthseeker would be absorbed.

The pair arrived in the dining hall but Hoseok was still distracted. So much so that he forgot to pull out the lady's seat and the servants had done so in his stead.

Suri scoffed. Running her finger behind her ears as if pushing a strand of hair back, she cleared silently and took her seat.

"Oh my, what a beautiful a dining hall. The paintings and pottery are exquisite," Suri said, feigning awe to finally get Hoseok's attention.

The attempt was futile as the young man just clasped his hands together and rested his chin on them, deep in thought. He tried recollecting all his memories and analyzing the patterns of his fiancée's distorted flows of black weaved with dark blue and grey showing her hatred, sorrow and insecurities.

He never thought too much of it but he could have sworn he heard her sniffle when he had walked past one day. He didn't make any judgments, it wasn't his job neither did have the rights.

"It seems my presence is rather insignificant at this moment," Suri said finally managing to break through his train of thought after several useless attempts at sparking some small talk, "so I'll be taking my leave. Now, if you'll excuse me."

She stood up from her seat, not waiting for the Prince or his servants to see her off as she stormed away.

"Her intentions weren't pure anyway," Hoseok let it slide.

He picked up his fork and knife, using the cutlery to cut a piece of his steak and allowing his train of thought to continue once again as he dined in silence.




"Lady Hae, do you think these will be enough for the children?" Chiyeon asked as she pushed back a lock of baby hairs, with her slender fingers.

She stood up from her kneeling position to look over the baskets of flowers she had picked from the garden for the town's less fortunate children. The stray hairs from her loose bun fell beautifully over the braids that wove from either side of her head to the other.

"I believe so, Milady Yoo," the head maid, who was tasked to serve the Prince's fiancée, assisted her by lifting up two of the three baskets.

Chiyeon smiled in content, pulling the gloves off her hands and proceeding to lift the remaining basket. Without having to say another word, they set off to the town. What they weren't aware of was the undetectable presence that silently followed them - Hoseok.

His cloaking allowed him to follow right behind her and absorb her aura. It was as pure as it could get.

Just as it usually did, her aura radiated to a point that the aura of others weren't even a hundredth of a fraction in comparison. The energy gave him a pulse of strength in his body as Angels of Light always fed off positive vibes.

As they walked along the path that exited the palace, Chiyeon admired the weather and the atmosphere of the palace garden that was filled with beautiful flora and fauna as well. Squirrels on branches, swiftlets in nests and the occasional bunny that snuck in to get their paws on some of the palace produce. It all put a smile on Chiyeon's face. Hoseok chuckled lowly as he grinned proudly at the fact that his garden added to her joy.

The smile on Chiyeon's face faded and was replaced by an expression of slight confusion.

She her feet to look behind her, surprising the prince who was now standing just inches away from her. Hoseok noticed the tinges of pink and peach that mingle within the expansive protrusion of her white aura.

"Is something the matter, Milady?" Lady Hae asked in concern at the sudden halt of the Queen-to-be.

Chiyeon's lips pursed into a thin line and her brows furrowed slightly, unaware that if Hoseok weren't cloaked, she would be staring right as his chest.

"I just thought I heard the Prince. I guess it was just my imagination," Chiyeon's lips twisted into a subtle frown of disappointment.

Chiyeon resumed her walk towards the town, brushing off the thought. Lady Hae smiled at the younger with pride. She was honored and glad that she could serve such an honest and noble lady.

"Milady, I apologize if I am imposing. But I have a question."

"You know I'm more than happy to answer you if it is within my capabilities," the younger's lips curled upwards once again.

 

"Why do you not tell the Prince of your true feelings for him? You clearly love him and it hurts you to see him constantly courting other ladies."

Chiyeon's smile remained but the look in her eye changed to one of sadness.

"That's a rather simple question. I was really nervous for a moment there thinking it was a question to test my intelligence," Chiyeon chuckled seeming light-hearted in contrary to how her heart really felt - heavy and bitter, "Lovers shouldn't have secrets. But I have one too many."

Lady Hae frowned in disbelief, "What secret could you possibly have, Milady? You're so honest and bright all the time, I can't even begin to fathom."

"Well, now that's a question I can't answer," Chiyeon gave her an apologetic look and she pried no further.

Hoseok stopped in his tracks, thoughts rushing through his mind as he witnessed the words that came out of and the rapidly changing energies that protruded from his fiancée's petite figure. From her original peachy pink tinged white, to a dark blue speckled grey and to a final aura of total sadness.

He was dumbfounded at the revelation. Chiyeon was in love with him, but she had a secret she couldn't tell and just at the thought of it, all her happiness was drained away. A lady so pure and kind, had a secret so dark and sorrowful?

Hoseok just watched as she walked away, only continuing his footsteps when he managed to somewhat clear his mind. Not that he actually cleared his thoughts, but rather, just enough for him to be in the right state of mind to continue following Chiyeon.

As they approached the orphanage and the orphan children came into sight, Chiyeon's dissipating sorrowful energy began to be replaced by her joyful white aura once again.

"Milady!"

"Lady Yoo!" all the children ran towards her in excite. She greeted them all by name, remembering each and everyone one of them. A little toddler no older than two years waddled over to her in attempt to catch up with the bigger kids. The sight itself was enough to make Chiyeon giggle. She put down her basket and picked up the little boy.

"How are we today, Jaehyunie," Chiyeon poked the little boy, Jaehyun's, cheek.

"Chi~ Chi~ Hewwo," the toddler giggle as he greeted her with whatever words he could muster up. He clapped his hands with a wide kiddy grin.

"What will we be doing today, Lady Yoo?" A little girl named Hana asked as she inspected the baskets filled with flowers.

"Today I will teach you all how to make flower crowns and garlands," Chiyeon's smile widened as the faces of the children lit up and their cheers became louder.

That said, they all proceeded to sit at the picnic tables that were out on the front garden of the orphanage. Chiyeon and Lady Hae laid out all the materials for the kids who sat obediently in their seats.

Hoseok found a quaint area to stand and watch for the very first time how she tended to the children.

After several examples and teaching the kids how to create the crowns and garlands, she allowed them to complete the rest, using the remainder of her time to take care of the toddler who was too young to participate. She sat right in front where all the children could see her with Jaehyun sound asleep in her arms.

Just as Hoseok thought it was time for him to depart, the words of a certain child piqued his interest.

"Lady Yoo, tell us things about the Prince again!"

The Prince turned around to watch them once again, noticing the smile on Chiyeon's face and the now familiar peachy pink aura.

"Okay. What would you like to know?"

The kids all hummed in thought, thinking of questions to ask.

Hana put up her hand indicating that she had a question, "What is the Prince's special power?"

Without a second thought or a single hint of hesitation, the answer flowed from Chiyeon, "He has a really amazing ability. The Prince is a Truthseeker. It's one of the many forms of an Angel of Light. When he transforms he has big white wings that extend wide enough to hug all of you little ones in them. He cares for everyone very well and will become a wonderful King."

"Lady Yoo must be an Angel of Light too!" another child exclaimed.

Chiyeon's darkening expression went unnoticed amidst the children's excitement.

"Yes! She cares for us so well and she is going to become a great Queen!"

But the darkening aura didn't go past the Prince who still stood by, watching the situation twist into something beyond Chiyeon's capability to control.

"Lady Yoo, do you have wings? Can you show us?"

Chiyeon looked down at Jaehyun who was now awake and staring at her as if he was also anticipating her transformation despite his lack of ability to understand them. But it just put more pressure on Chiyeon whose heartbeat quickened and her breath became shorter.

She squeezed her eyes shut for a moment to calm herself down before facing the children once again.

"I can't use my abilities just anywhere," Chiyeon shook her head with an unnatural smile.

"But why not?" Another little boy, Maru, asked.

Chiyeon paused, unable to answer the posed question.

"Because I said so."

The manly voice turned the heads of all the curious children and surprised Chiyeon as well.

"Prince Hoseok?" her voice came out as a whisper.

Her panic subsided but a new found shock settled in as she watched him approach the children.

"Who are you, Sir?"

"You dress like royalty!" Ara, one of the orphan girls, exclaimed.

Chiyeon quickly got on her feet to put the children in their place.

"Children, show some respect. This is His Highness, Prince Hoseok." Chiyeon informed the youngins.

All of them turned to face him in surprise. Hoseok couldn't help but laugh at their awestruck expressions.

"Don't be so hard on them, they're just children," Hoseok told Chiyeon, patting a little boy's head.

Chiyeon bowed in respect of his words.

A tug came at the Prince's sleeve which diverted his attention from the maiden in front of him. He looked down to see a little girl looking up at him with expectant eyes.

"Hello there, what's your name?" Hoseok kneeled down to be face to face with the child.

"Haneul," she grinned, showing off her incomplete set of teeth. One of her two front baby teeth had already fallen out, making room for her adult tooth.

"Miss Haneul, did you wish to ask me something?" The Prince smoothed the little girl's hair down and tucked the stray strands behind her ears.

"Yes! Why don't you let Lady Yoo show us her wings?" Haneul pouted, disappointment clear on her face.

Hoseok glanced at Chiyeon for a second, thinking of a good excuse, "Because her wings are so beautiful, I'm afraid if any others lay eyes on it then they would not want to let her return to me."

Chiyeon's heart raced hearing his words and several thoughts flashed through her mind in that instant. He never saw her transformation before let alone her wings. Her wings were dark and repulsive but he said they were beautiful. Even if he didn't mean it, it was still enough for her heart to react. Maybe her feelings for him were stronger than she thought.

Meanwhile, the kids were busy chattering and imagining how mystical and beautiful her wings must be. Hoseok looked at the maiden in front of him that now shied away, biting her lip as she let Jaehyun out of her hold to waddle off and join the other kids. He notice

Please log in to read the full chapter