Prologue

Power Struggle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Minseo! Minseo!” You call, trying find your friend as you weave through the crowd, “Minseo!”

I knew coming to this party was a dumb idea. Where the did she go?

With your head pounding and your senses completely out of whack having not had a decent meal all day, you stand at the foot of a staircase, leaning heavily against the wall. You open your purse and pull out what you realise is the last of your top-ups, “…” You whimper and tear the small sachet open, squeezing the dark liquid into your vodka mix in an attempt to make it last longer. Clutching the precious drink to your chest, you try not to spill any as you make your way up the stairs.

“You okay, honey?” A random guys asks, his hand on your shoulder.

You ignore him and pull away, continuing your unstable journey to the next floor. When you finally make it to the top, you rest against a wall and take a gulp of the drink, recuperating as the warmth spreads through your body, providing momentary relief. You wipe your mouth and take in the seemingly endless corridor that lies before you, doors dotting either side of it.

Maybe I can send her a text and wait it out. She deserves some fun anyway.

Now at least somewhat stable, you push off the wall and walk up to one of the doors. You open and shut it equally quickly, wishing that the image of the rather passionate couple inside could disappear from your memory. You put your ear up to the next few doors, but all have already been claimed. Only after you make it about halfway down the passage does the sound of silence call to you from beyond the door you’re pressed up against.

You pull hard on the door handle, breaking it in the process. Not caring about the door, you chuckle and shut your eyes as you take another swig, slamming it shut behind you. With your back against the door, now within the bounds of the room, you’re confronted with the overwhelming scent of blood. Your eyes fly open and you fail to mask your surprise at the man standing over a small woman with his mouth at her neck. You turn to leave but before you can, the tall man is right in front of you.

He boxes you in, pressing his hands against the door on either side of your head as he starts speaking. Every word he says goes over your head when his blood-tainted breath hits you, taunting you and now making you completely aware of how thirsty you are.

“Can I have a drink?” You ask, unable to look at him, your eyes fixated on the girl at the back of the room.

He comes down to your level and pulls your face so that you’re forced to look into his eyes; his hot, red breath filling your nose and settling on your taste buds, driving you crazy as he asks, “Have you not been listening to a single word I’ve been saying?”

“Sorry, not really, no.” You your lips, “Anyway, can I please have a drink?” You repeat.

He huffs, “You already have one, drunk girl.” He gestures to the glass you’re holding and stares intently into your eyes, “Now, as I was saying, you walked into this room by mistake and happened upon an ordinary couple trying to enjoy their evening. Then you turned around and left.”

“Yah…” You remark, starting to get impatient. Remembering your father’s words, you smile and try to be more diplomatic, “If you don't want people knowing what you are, there're better ways to convince me. Now please, give me a drink and I'll keep my mouth shut, nae?” You bargain, trying your best to not get pissed off at him for still not realising that you're a vampire. The pieces seem to come together after your statement and he chuckles to himself.

“Oh, you want a drink off her?” He asks and you nod eagerly. He laughs in your face and wipes an imaginary tear, “Yeah, that’s not gonna happen. Now, you will leave and not say a word of this to anyone. If you do, there will be serious consequences.”

“What on earth do you think this is?” You scoff and duck under his arm, kicking him in the back so that he stumbles into the door. You flip him around, pinning him against it, “Look, I'm more than a little thirsty and I can't find my donor. Now, I have been patient with you and your ignorance, so, whether you like it or not, I will have her and if you want her back, you will stay put and watch as I blow her ing mind.” You growl, now practically salivating

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter