Fin.

Numerative

“...chicken , 110 calories.” You put the cap back on your pen and sat back, looking in satisfaction at the neat list of meals for the week. Everything was sorted by calorie count and meal, and there was no way that you’d go over the daily calorie count.

 

    As you looked across the table at your boyfriend, he stared back at you, something akin to pity in his eyes.

 

    “What’s the deal, Hyunseong?” you asked, closing the cover of your notebook. He shrugged.

 

    “Just thinking about how you’re refusing to eat my cupcakes because you’re doing this diet.”

 

    You let out a sigh, leaning across the table and patting his hand comfortingly. “You know I love your baking...maybe a little too much, though. I’ve put on some weight lately and I need to get rid of it!”

 

    Hyunseong frowned. “I think you look fine.”

 

    Rolling your eyes, you leaned back and stood up. “Of course you do, honey.”

 

-----

 

    You knew that the first meal would be hard, but perhaps you underestimated exactly how hard it was going to be. As you stared down at your plate of a plain chicken and steamed spinach, you closed your eyes and tried your hardest not to stare longingly at the galbi on Hyunseong’s side of the table. His incredulous “you don’t even want a bowl of rice?” question echoed in your head, and you winced.

 

    No! You shook your head and picked up your utensils. I’m not going to be beaten. This is for the best.

 

    The spinach went down easy enough, but the chicken, seasoned only sparingly with salt and pepper, was a different challenge. Despite how good of a cook Hyunseong was, even he couldn’t fix the blandness that was that chicken . You went slowly but determinedly, ignoring Hyunseong’s slightly amused stare from across the table. You could do this, damn it.

 

-----

 

    You’d managed to survive three days on small portion sizes and barely flavored food before the real challenge came. Before the diet, you and Hyunseong had a routine of ordering pizza and watching movies on Wednesday nights. However...tonight you’d planned to be eating steamed fish and zucchini. Hyunseong had looked pretty skeptical when you’d asked him to make that for you on pizza night, but he’d done it anyways. Just as you settled in front of the tv with your steaming plate of food, Hyunseong returned with the pizza, and you froze.

 

    It smelled like heaven. You suddenly seemed to develop some kind of super-smelling power, because you swore you could smell the cheese, the hot tomato sauce, the yeasty crust...everything. The plate of food in your hands seemed so colorless and unattractive now.

 

    Hyunseong seemed to know what you were thinking (and you probably looked a lot like a ravenous hyena right about then) as he smirked and set the pizza box on the table, opening it and grabbing a slice. You nearly moaned in frustration. Why did God have to make all of the most delicious things the most unhealthy?

 

    Stabbing a piece of zucchini in frustration, you stuffed it into your mouth and nearly gagged on it. Compared to the warm, beautiful pizza just feet away from you, it tasted like pure nothingness. Your chopsticks hovering right above the pale white fish, you finally sighed and set the plate down.

 

    “Fine! I give up. You were right, I couldn’t do it. I love pizza far too much…” you groaned, throwing yourself towards Hyunseong and the pizza. Winding an arm around his, you gave him the best puppy-dog eyes you could muster. He laughed and your hair briefly.

 

    “I was willing to support you as long as you wanted to do this, but...I think it’s much better when you can eat the food you want to eat.” Hyunseong pressed a kiss to the top of your head and offered you a slice of pizza, which you eagerly grabbed and sat up to eat. Your eyes rolled back in your head as the taste of salt and cheese hit your tongue, the flavors you’d been missing the past few days making it an emotional experience. As you chewed, you thought about how good food was, and how much you’d really taken pizza for granted.


    “I think...I’ll start going to the gym everyday instead! Then I can still eat the pizza!” you declared through a full mouth of food. Hyunseong chuckled uneasily and muttered something about “not lasting long” under his breath. You glared at him in mock-anger and turned away, already starting to form your schedule in your mind. After all, it was simple. You’d only have to do cardio on Monday, Wednesday...

-----

maybe inspired by my own lack of ability to stick to things orz

also maybe related to hyunseong's character in gogo ikemen 5 lmao