Chapter 12

An Assassin's Creed

A thick cloud of alcohol and perfume wafts by as the fourth group of girls pass by, flicking their hair extravagantly and winking profusely at the very irritated man beside me. It's becoming harder not to smirk as Minho clenches his teeth and refuses to turn around, even when one girl in a white pencil dress reaches out and smacks him boldly on the behind. The music is too loud for anyone to be heard and right now we're meant to be strangers, but he knows I'm watching further down the bar. I can tell from the daggers directed at me in his glances, that he's telling me not to enjoy his discomfort too much. For someone who was enjoying himself so much in the cafe, I wonder to myself why he insisted on accompanying me tonight. Completely unnecessary, of course. He knows what I think of him coming here. I made that very clear to him earlier.
 


 

~~~

 

 


"Are you wearing makeup?"

"It's what people do nowadays."

Minho doesn't reply as I do the final check-ups on my outfit; strapping the hidden blades on under my billowing sleeves and putting on the diamond-edged belt.

Preparations over, I'm about to slip on the kitten heels before Minho grabs me by the arm.

Surprised by his audacity, I'm even more confused by the reddish hue of his cheeks. He mumbles something under his breath, but only the words 'wait' and 'legs' are vaguely coherent.

"Are you talking to me or the floor?"

"I said" - he looks up and glares at me, his face flushed with outrage - "to wait. I'm coming with you. To the club."

"Since when?"

"Since you're going as a... as a girl."

"What? How does that make any difference?"

"Because...!"

"'Because' what? I don't see how-"

"Because what kind of girl turns up on her own at a nightclub?! Especially if she looks like you?!"

A barrier of silence falls between us like a pillar of stone.

"Well let's hope that girl brings someone back with her when she comes home," I reply stiffly.

"I'm still coming with you."

"Do what you wish."

"You know I will, just because you secretly want me to anyway."

"Tell me Cobalt, what was that you mumbled about my legs?"

"His face goes a bright cherry red, but his words are full of confidence as he replies,

"Your legs are showing too much. Pull your skirt down, or do you want to get jumped by some creepy old ert?"

I only shake my head in disagreement, but I'm not serious this time as a slight laugh escapes my lips.

"I bet you I can still beat you down the stairs in these heels."

"You're on."

 

 

 

~~~




An impatient tugging on my elbow snaps me out of my thoughts, and I turn to a very stressed looking waiter. Obediently I rise from my stool at the bar, and let him pull me to a far corner of the club, weaving in and out of the tables crammed with people drinking and laughing. The waiter eventually stops at a pair of heavy velvet curtains flanked by two huge men in suits, their shoulders so broad and thick that they look like they're going to burst through their clothing. One of them, the man on my left, gives me a cursory glance up and down my body, and for a moment it seems as if he's going to give me a full body search. Luckily I'm given a sharp nod after a few minutes, and I'm hurriedly ushered in through the curtains.

In this makeshift booth, the curtains drop behind me to muffle the music of the club, and suddenly I become acutely aware of the braces on my arms.  The air here doesn't stink so much of alcohol, but rather the clogging scent of aftershave infuses the area, emanating from the shadowed figure before me. The only source of light is the purple lava lamp on the round table, surrounded by a luxurious round sofa that could have easily seated six or seven. Judging by the bodyguards outside though, it seems that this man has very exclusive taste - and status - in this club.

The lava lamp makes everything seem simultaneously eerie and alluring, casting a ghostly light on what I can see of the man's white suit. He leans forward to beckon me with long elegant fingers, and I sit down hesitantly on a chair opposite him on the sofa. Now that I'm level with him, I can see his face better under the murky light.

Everything about him seems like it's been primped, preened and styled within an inch of its life. His hair, his suit, his manner - even his bold eyebrows emanate class and wealth. The glint in his piercing eyes is assessing and curious, like he's examining a piece of meat. The low rumble of his voice matches the thumping bass of the club around us.

"What's your name?"

"That's a secret."

He lifts a brow, and a look of interest sparks in his eyes. He leans forward even more, his hand hovering near the edge of the table between us.

"Oh? It's rude not to answer."

"It's even ruder for someone to ask my name without introducing themselves first."

"But I asked first."

"Then we've reached a stalemate."

He's almost grinning now, I can see his white teeth stark against the shadows around his face. Folding his fingers together, he rests his chin on his knuckles and stares intensely. I run my fingertips along the diamond belt strapped around my waist and stare right back.

"You're an interesting one, aren't you? Your Korean is good, but it's not perfect... Yet, somehow your accent sounds familiar..."

"Really? I think yours is too..." I reply.

A wide smirk appears on his face as he beckons to me again. I take my time standing up slowly, stretching out my legs and swaying my hips a little as I step towards him. He rises with a formal little bow and taking my hand gently, he sits me down in his space before placing himself to face me. Up close his aftershave is even more overwhelming and a faint waft of mint brushes my face each time he breathes.

"So..." Still holding my hand, he begins to it delicately with his fingertips and rests it on his knee, drawing me closer to him. "How about you tell me your name now?"

"What if I tell you yours?" I respond in fluent Mandarin, adding a southern lilt to my voice.

The pupils of his eyes dilate and his hand ceases caressing mine. I lean forward, placing my lips next to his ear and whisper, "See how much you can find out about me, Wu Yifan."

As I pull back, his face has resumed its smooth, confident expression. He lifts his eyes to mine and gazes at me hotly, with whips of pure desire pouring out of his eyes.

"Is that a challenge?" he utters. His voice is hoarse, and without missing a beat he slings his arm around my shoulders to murmur in my ear, "Why don't we go find somewhere a little more private?"

He doesn't wait for a reply and tugs me up, leading me out through the curtains. The two burly guards start at our appearance; he lifts his palm and they return to their former positions, like toys on clockwork. We pass by the other tables, walking close to the wall until we arrive at another velvet curtain. He sweeps it out of the way with one arm and waves me the way forward, up a single flight of stairs concealed behind the curtain. I smile and alight the steps as he catches my hand again, and pulls the curtain back into place in one fluid motion. A long, carpeted hallway greets us, with doors on each side extending for several yards, like the interior of a plush hotel. The man beside me stops, and pulling out a single, plain key from his pocket, unlocks one of the doors.

Inside, the room is also similar to a hotel: a huge double bed with numerous cushions of different sizes opposite an elegant vanity mirror, and a love seat long enough for someone to lie down on, with layers of drapes drawn across the windows.

Suddenly the whole room turns into a blur as an iron grip on my wrist hurls me onto the bed. Taken by surprise, I'm slammed against the headboard of the bed, my head and shoulders connecting with the wood in a painful bang. Wu Yifan yanks my hands up above my head and shoves his forearm across my throat, pinning my legs under his knees. For a moment I'm dazed and disorientated, but it's not long before the sharp odour of his cologne clears my senses.

Hot breath fills my ear as he drags his lips up my neck and whispers,

"How did you find out? What do you want from me?"

I lift my head up to glare at him, and he scowls back, grinning playfully as he pulls my face further up until I'm in the light. He holds me there, peering at my eyes. Then he smirks even wider, and tightens his hold on my hands and throat.

"You. I know who you are!"

Out of nowhere he throws his head back and laughs openly, before that smirk returns to his face. My irritation only increases and I could break his grip easily, but I stay still and wait until he recovers his breath. This time he looks at me, really looks at me, as if he's found an incredible treasure and he can't believe his luck.

"Wow, I didn't think you were a girl. Oh, but this makes things very interesting... very interesting, indeed. All those rumours and myths, are they really true?"

The tensions is building up in my body, and I can feel his hands relaxing on my wrist. I want nothing more than to put him in a headlock, but if I can keep him talking...

"What?" I ask him calmly. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't fool with me, girl." He lifts his arm from my throat to jerk my chin up so I look him at him directly.

"Those grey eyes... I've heard so many things about them. Do you want to know what I've heard?" His fingers trace my jaw lightly as he rests his lips next to my ear.

"Your grey eyes... they're the eyes of the infamous assassin, Ashen."


 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

 


Uhmm... 4 months... I'm sorry for leaving it for so long, guys! Argh, I don't even have a good excuse... Well, let's hope the next update won't take 5 months!
Ooohh, new character! Who is this guy, and what does he know about our assassin? What's Ashen going to do? What's Minho doing right now? OOOOHH DRAMA~~ All will be revealed...
 -runs away to hide in my cave-
 

05.12.12