The Calm II

How NOT to be an idol 101

"Im home.."

 

You opened the door to your house and announced your return. The TV was on loudly, though so you assumed that no one heard it. You shrugged and walked to the living room where a girl was sitting on the couch with her legs crossed, and a cushion on her lap.

 

"Hey, Somi."

 

Your sister, Jeon Somi, turned to you and gave you a warm smile.

 

"Welcome home, Juri!"

 

She embraced you warmly, almost as if she hadn't seen you forever, which is technically true as she had a metric ton of activities for one whole year before finally coming back home. Releasing her hug, she accidentally caught a glance at the plastic bag you're holding.

 

"Hey, what's that?"

 

"This? It's for you."

 

Confused, Somi took contents out of the bag and held the pudding. Her eyes shined brightly as she realised what it was.

 

"You bought me pudding?!!"

 

"You wanted it yesterday, didn't you?"

 

"Oh my gosh, thank you Juri!!"

 

Somi hugged you again whilst jumping around the couch. You laughed at the display, seeing your little sister act her age is heartwarming.

 

"Hey, none for me?"

 

A man came out from the shadows of one of the rooms, with his buzz haircut fitting him perfectly. His facial features sharp, and looking like a handsome soldier, he grinned.

 

"You didn't say anything, Dad."

 

His grin soon turned into a frown as he dramatically flailed his hands above the air.

 

"Whaaaaa!!?? How could you, my son!!"

 

Your father slouched down to the floor and held his chest like he was hurt.

 

"Come on Dad, I'll cook you something later, okay?"

 

You chuckled at him. Your father always liked the theatrical approach and today was no different.

 

"I'll hold you to that, Jeon Juri! Hahahahaha!!"

 

He laughed like a villain in a 90s action show before heading to the kitchen to grab a drink. 

 

"Well that was easy.."

 

"Dad's always like that!"

 

Somi laughed and moved aside the couch to let you sit, which you accepted gracefully.

 

"Jeon Somi, how was your training?"

 

"Pretty good, my trainer told us to do self-practice, so it wasn't so tough."

 

"Rest sometimes, okay? I worry about your health."

 

"You worry too much! I'm fine! Besides, I think TWICE would be more busier than me!"

 

TWICE was the group that your sister was supposed to debut in but because she was underage, she wasn't allowed to. The news saddened her very much but she kept a smile on her face and practiced twice as hard. Pitying her, you also tried your best to help her in anything which eased her heart a little.

 

"Hey, do you regret not making it to TWICE?"

 

Somi turned to you and let her gaze linger. She grabbed your hand and played with your fingers whilst answering with a smile;

 

"Not at all!!"

 

You chuckled at her cheerful demeanour, she is a strong girl alright. You pulled her head to your shoulder and watched television silently. Only the sounds of your breathing and the sound effects of the Sci fi movie was playing. For some reason, Star Wars was being shown for the fifth time now and you've gotten sick of it. Unfortunately, Somi held the remote tightly with her other hand and was fully invested in it. You weren't really interested, so you ended up thinking about what the girl mentioned to you.

 

"She seemed like the playful type but she looked so serious when it comes to training.."

 

"Hmm? Did you say something, oppa?"

 

"No, I was just thinking about the girl I met just now.."

 

Somi suddenly turned to you with big eyes.

 

"Girl?! Omo! Who was it?!"

 

"I don't know her name though. I just ended up treating her to pudding since I dropped hers.."

 

"Wow, oppa is such a gentleman~"

 

Somi twirled her fingers, intentionally mocking you, to your laughter.

 

"Oh yeah, she's an idol too. Although I didn't ask which company."

 

"An idol? Hmm, is it nearby here?"

 

"I don't know. Maybe?"

 

Somi d her chin like an imaginary beard and pouted her lips.

 

"The only company I know nearby is Jellyfish..?"

 

"Jellyfish?"

 

You found the name pretty cute to be honest. What a cool CEO to name their entertainment company after an animal.

 

"Yeah, Jellyfish Entertainment. There's a male idol group there, I think it was called VIXX?"

 

You never really heard of VIXX, but then again you never heard of any idol group before, so you simply nodded your head in acknowledgement.

 

"Maybe it was Gugudan!"

 

"Really?"

 

"It's a maybe though. Gugudan is known to have outstanding female vocals so it makes sense that the members would train very hard. I wonder how Sejeong and Mina are doing.."

 

Somi placed her chin on her palm, leaning back to the couch, with a smile plastered on her face.

 

"She wanted the pudding, but not like the pudding here is good or anything.."

 

Somi frowned and slapped your hands lightly.

 

"Don't make fun of it! It's a cheap luxury for someone like me.."

 

"You deserve better pudding than this..

 

this."

 

"Then when you are making lots of money, treat me to more delicious ones!"

 

"Guess I'll have to work hard then.."

 

______________________________________________

 

After spending time with Somi, you went back to your room after wishing her goodnight and proceeded to do your homework. While doing so, you were distracted by thoughts of the girl from just now. 

 

"An idol..."

 

You sighed deeply. What is this feeling of curiously you have? Are you actually curious about this?

 

"No no, I shouldn't be distracted."

 

You continued your studies until all of a sudden you received a text message. As you looked at the sender, you sighed.

 

'sup man! wyd? im bored.'

 

Ever the lazy one to not type out in full sentences. You replied as follows before resuming back your studies.

 

'Doing my work.'

 

A few seconds later, another text message arrived, much to your shock.

 

"What the hell?"

 

You read the message aloud ;

 

'that is boring lmaooooo'

 

"You should be doing your work.."

 

You sighed. Soon another text came in.

 

'guess wat im doin hahaha'

 

'Talking to a handsome gentleman like yours truly?'

 

'shameless lol

im gonna audition'

 

You rose your eyebrows. Audition?

 

'What the hell, Min? Are you for real? You're seriously doing it?'

 

You were panicking unknowingly, this is too sudden.

 

'lmaoo yea yeaa cheer for me woooo!!!'

 

You face palmed.

 

'My goodness, Min. Do as you wish.'

 

You typed out that last message and continued studying despite the constant vibrations. Soon, it stopped and you were left alone in the darkness of the night. It was very silent inside and outside, as Somi and Dad are probably already asleep. Still, you can't seem to rest easy in your room, it was much too stuffy for you. You decided to get some fresh air outside so you quietly tiptoed out of your house, without letting anyone know. You hadn't any particular way to go so you kind of wandered around aimlessly. Before you realised it, you were already below Yanghwa Bridge.

 

"Wait what am I doing here.."

 

You took a deep breath and sighed. You didn't even take note of where you were going, which was careless of you. As you were about to turn around and leave however, you heard a little hum from afar.

 

"Hmm..."

 

The voice sounded like it was simply humming, but it was actually following a rhythm, as you noticed. You were intrigued by the voice and went to find the source. It couldn't be that far, you thought to yourself. You turned and you walked around until you were about to give up. However, just as you wanted to leave, you spotted a figure sitting in the dark, as still as a statue. But you could tell that the voice came from that figure as it was loud and clear. As you were walking to it, the figure was surprised and stood up, wary of your presence. You bowed your head politely to it as you seemed to frighten the figure.

 

"I'm sorry for disturbing you.. I was just attracted to your voice.."

 

"...No no, it isn't your fault.."

 

As the figure spoke, it's voice was soothing and calm like an angel. The figure came out from the shadows and stood below the lamplight, revealing itself. At that moment, you were stunned beyond words and comprehension. The figure turned out to be a girl with brown shoulder-length hair, wearing a simple white shirt that extended to her knees and long skinny jeans.

 

"I'm just shocked that there was someone singing below the bridge."

 

The girl gave a surprised expression at you.

 

"You could hear from far?"

 

"Yeah, like I said, your voice is beautiful."

 

"Haha, thanks for your compliment!"

 

The girl smiled at you very brightly, and you were stunned again, this time because her smile coupled with her looks made her the most beautiful girl you've ever seen. Your heart pounded loudly like a chime, and your face became hot all of a sudden. Wait, she looks a little familiar though..

 

"Hmm? Are you okay?"

 

The girl suddenly walked close to you and brought her face to yours.

 

"Hmm, your face looks red.."

 

Surprised by her sudden action, you stepped back and waved your head.

 

"N-no no! I-I'm fine.. Jeez, Jeon Juri, get a hold of yourself.."

 

You had never seen someone of that level of beauty before and you were taken aback. Even amidst the darkness save for the few lamps scattered around the bridge, you could tell that the girl before you was a star as she exudes that aura.

 

"Are you...an idol?"

 

The girl looked visibly surprised and nodded her head.

 

"Yes! I'm Sejeong from Gugudan!"

 

This time it was you who was shocked. Of course, no wonder you recognized her. You had seen her in variety shows and on billboards all around Korea. You overcame your initial shock and regained your composure, coughing a little.

 

"I-I see. S-sorry for not knowing.."

 

Sejeong, upon hearing your comment, giggled softly. Even her laugh sounded like the whisperings of an angel, you thought to yourself.

 

"Haha, it's fine! Are you a manager?"

 

"Me, a manager? Unfortunately, I'm just a student."

 

You shrugged your head. 

 

"I see.. What are you doing up so late then? You have school tomorrow, no?"

 

"Hmm, I guess I was bored?"

 

You nonchalantly answered immediately, to her humour.

 

"You're funny.."

 

Sejeong shifted her hair to the front, making bangs and covering her forehead. Every action she does, enticed you to watch. You must have looked like a weirdo to her, but luckily your expression was covered in the dark.

 

"I'm sorry for disturbing your walk, oppa..? Wait, how old are you?"

 

"I'm Jeon Juri, and 21 this year.."

 

"Oh, same as my oppa!"

 

Another grin spread across her face, which got your heart beating fast once more. 

 

"Well, I guess I should be going now. It was nice meeting you, oppa!"

 

She smiled at you, with her eyes turning like the crescent moon above the skies. You waved goodbye to her and watched as she strolled away from you, to the opposite direction while you went back home to sleep..

 

___________________________________________

 

Your phone rang like a madman on the way to his execution site, leaving you a jumbled mess in the morning. Clamouring to switch it off, you grabbed anything smartphone-like, and swiped as much as you can.

 

You manage to mumble out a hello to the other line but recoiled instinctively when the caller screamed in agony at you.

 

"HELP ME JURI!!"

 

"Should've known it was you, Min.. What do you want now?"

 

"Y-you have to come meet me!! Or I'll die!!!!"

 

"Don't drag me in your death please. Goodbye."

 

"I'll treat you to lunch, PLEASE!!!"

 

You were about to hang up the phone but his offer made you hesitate.

 

"....what kind of lunch are we talking about here."

 

"HIGH QUALITY! PREMIUM!!"

 

Damn him, you thought to yourself.

 

"...Fine. I'm coming now."

 

You could hear Min gasping happily in the background.

 

"Thank you, my friend!! Oh please dress nicely too!"

 

"Yeah yeah.."

 

You hung up the phone and proceeded to take a shower. Just what have you gotten yourself into?

 

______________________________________________

 

"Oh screw me."

 

You stood in front of a tall building that reaches all the way to the sky, it's windows reflecting the hope in the auditionees' eyes that are just waiting for the scheduled time. You were standing in line with Min who in contrast to your nonchalant attitude, was shivering in fear.

 

"What should I do, Juri.. What if they ask me lots of questions? Should I show them a talent or two? What am I good at? I don't really..."

 

"Jeez, don't worry about small things. You'll make it, I'm sure."

 

Yeah, you thought to yourself. There's no way he would fail, he's so charming and popular in school while you just followed his shadow.

 

"I hope you pass too, Juri."

 

"Oh no no, I'm not entering. I'm just accompanying you."

 

You had made it clear that you weren't going to participate to Min but he seemed to think otherwise for some reason.

 

"How long is this line, anyways?"

 

You look around you at the people who had the same intentions as Min, guys and girls of different ages and visuals. Many of them are handsome and pretty, no doubt after years of polishing their looks.

 

"Of course, being an idol is one of the most popular choices for a career considering the fame they will get. Besides, the company that is holding the auditions, M&H Entertainment is famous for having Kim Chungha, one of the members of IOI.."

 

Min began to explain like an expert on this matter. The only subject he's good at, you chuckled to yourself.

 

"I kinda regret not joining where my sister is at though, but never mind that!"

 

You absently nodded to him as you were not really listening to him, instead worrying about what your family would think if they knew you're here. Given that you're not really auditioning but it will look really funny to them definitely. 

 

Soon enough, you reached the entrance and were given a form to fill in your details. You were told that without doing this, you can't enter the waiting room. As Min gave you a sad look, you gave in to him and just wrote your details and were lead into the waiting room. In there, there were already others preparing for their audition; what they were going to show and such. You on the other hand fiddled with your fingers and played your phone, given that you weren't going to enter anyways. Min beside you was warming up with push ups whilst humming some weird song. You assumed that he must be really nervous to do such actions. Before you could comfort him though, a staff member entered the room.

 

"Auditionee #100, Kim..Youngmin? Please follow me."

 

Min quickly stood up and looked at you for help. 

You just shrugged and gave him a thumbs up, to which he smiled with relief.

 

As you watched him follow the staff member out of the room, you looked at the various people around you. Some of them exhibit confidence, while others slumped into their seats in panic. The room also hosted those who had went through the auditions, and their faces alone tell whether they had aced it or screwed up somewhere. It's so serious, you thought to yourself. You, however, just stood against the wall and played with your phone, to pass the time. Sure enough, after a few game sessions, Min came out of the same room he was called from, but with a smile on his face.

 

"How was it?"

 

"Perfect!! I showed them dancing and I showed them singing and they said I was great!!"

 

"Good for you, I always knew you could do it.."

 

You chuckled. To think that moments ago he was shivering in fear, but now he regained back his smile and that's what matters, you thought to yourself. You were about to leave with Min when you felt a hand on your shoulder.

 

"Auditionee #101 Jeon Juri? You're up next. Please follow me."

 

"Huh? Oh no, I'm not auditioning.."

 

The staff looked at you with disbelief and shook his head.

 

"I'm sorry, but if you signed up for the audition you have to attend it. Protocol rules."

 

Protocol rules? You looked to Min for confirmation, but his apologetic smile gave it all away.

 

"I-I'm sorry Juri, but I really needed you here.."

 

"Oh for gods sake, how could you trick me?!"

 

You glared at Min, whilst he looked away out of fear. The staff, on the other hand was looking worried, and a little scared.

 

"Look, I don't know what happened but you have to come with me please, else I'll get chewed up by my boss.."

 

Feeling bad for the staff, you nodded your head. You could just fail the audition and nothing will happen, right? You followed the staff as he lead you into the room. Inside say 5 men wearing black suits, with a grim expression on their faces, and resting their hands on an equally black table with stacks of papers on it. It must have been the forms that you were asked to write just now. You were lead to stand opposite of them, with only a small distance away. You could feel their eyes burning on you, examining you and most probably forming an impression of you.

 

"Auditionee #101, Jeon Juri."

 

You stood up straight instinctively. Something about the authoritative tone that the middle man used made you nervous yet attentive.

 

"It says here you have zero experience in singing and dancing, is that correct?"

 

"Y-yes."

 

"Do you have any talents?"

 

"Umm... I can recite the entire value of pi...?"

 

The examiners all stared at you as if you were crazy. Even you thought that was a stupid comment. But, you didn't want them to think you were a good-for-nothing.

 

"That's...interesting."

 

One of the examiners flashed a smile at you. Seeing that, you calmed down a bit.

 

"Hmm... What is your reason for auditioning?"

 

You pondered to yourself, whether to give the politically correct answer or just tell the truth.

 

"Actually, I didn't want to. I was just accompanying my friend."

 

You shrugged your shoulders, to the shock of the examiners once again. This time however, they were puzzled to a greater extent. One of them however, slammed his fist onto the table.

 

"This is preposterous! Clearly, you are taking this lightly!"

 

The sudden anger of the examiner made you flinch, yet also struck a chord in you. It was wrong of you to say that, as it was sullying the pride of those who were serious about being an idol. You lowered your head in apology, ashamed of your actions.

 

"Just relax for a moment, Mr Park."

 

The middle examiner calmed the raging one down. He then turned to you with a smile.

 

"It also says right here you like to rap. Is that true?"

 

You may have done rapping before but that was during your rebellious days. Still, you had mindlessly places that as one of your "skills" for some reason.

 

"Y-yeah, I guess."

 

"Excellent! Could you rap for us for a short bit?"

 

You cracked your brain for a while to remember any rap you had done, as it had been a long time since the last one. At last, you remembered a rap done by BeWhy, one of the rapper contestants in Show Me The Money, that you really liked. You cleared your throat and began the rap song. Without any beat or rhythm, you had to just make do with the flow of the words. Thankfully, you memorized the entire lyrics but choosing to freestyle some of the verses, you had created our own version of the rap, "Forever". When you were done, the examiners looked at you, speechless. You felt a tinge of worry. Did you offend them with your words? You didn't want to get into trouble with the authority for insulting them or something, but applause from the examiners brought you back to reality. All 5 men clapped their hands for you, even the previously raging one albeit with a sour expression.

 

"That was an amazing rap, Juri! Even though I may not be the best judge for rap, I could feel the passion and soul that you have. You indeed are a natural at this."

 

You certainly did not expect this. Sure, you may have rapped to Somi, to her inevitable applause and praise, but you assumed that was because she was your sister, but a compliment coming from a stranger, made you feel..proud of yourself.

 

The 5 men began whispering to each other for a long time, occasionally glancing at your direction every now and then. It seems that they are discussing your fate, to which you were actually curious and nervous about. After a few more minutes of torturous wait, they turned to you fully.

 

"Thank you for your time, Juri. You may wait outside now and we would announce the ones who pass at the end of the audition."

 

You took that as a cue for you to leave, and so you bowed to them as a thank you and left the room. Immediately when you got out, Min rushed to you and hugged you tight.

 

"I'm really sorry for this, Juri!! I will repay you, I promise!!"

 

You smiled at the worried Min, who must have been panicking outside whilst you had your audition.

 

"Its fine, I know you didn't mean it."

 

Min looked at you with such gratitude that you were afraid he might start worshipping you. You looked at his blond hair, all messed up, no doubt due to the ruffling he did.

 

"So.. how was it? Did you make them angry?"

 

"A little bit. I think I did okay. Come on, let's just wait for the results."

 

Min looked at you with a confused expression, but shrugged anyways. You didn't want to admit it, but you were curious about your own as well. Is it because you wanted to assure your talent in rap, the talent that you had buried deep years back, or did you want to be an idol?

 

____________________________________________

 

"Thank you for waiting. I will now announce the auditionees who passed. #1,2,18,45.."

 

Cheers from around the room were heard, probably from the ones who passed, and the ones who slouched down to the ground or with a blank expression must be the ones who...

 

"...#94, and.. #100. That is all."

 

You looked at Min who stared at you with a conflicted. You knew he must be happy that he had passed but yet, he looks so sad.

 

"Juri.. You.."

 

You gave him a smile and shook your head.

 

"It's fine. Really."

 

Even though you said that, part of you felt disappointed and sad. Why are you feeling like this? You just came here to accompany Min, you thought to yourself. No use getting worried about this. You cleared your thoughts and congratulated Min with a pat on the back. Suddenly, you saw another staff member approach the one reading the results, and whispered something to him. He widened his eyes and coughed softly, attracting the attention of the auditionees.

 

"I-I'm sorry, there has been a mistake. #101 has also passed the audition. That is truly all. I apologize for the inconvenience."

 

You look down at the number given to you. 101. All of the auditionees looked around to see who was the last one before they also saw the number on you and glared.

 

"I..uh.."

 

Even Min was momentarily stunned, but he embraced you with a tighter hug and jumped with glee.

 

"Juri!! You did it!! You did it!! You're a trainee now!!!"

 

Unable to control your emotions, you smiled very widely and screamed with pure happiness.

 

"I'm a trainee now.. An idol in training.. I'm going to be an idol!!"

_____________________________________________

I realized this may be going very slow so ill try to speed the plot up as fast as I can!