The Calm I

How NOT to be an idol 101

You could not stop trembling at the sight of the paper on your hands. How did this happen? You were just accompanying your friend to give him a boost in morale but to think that you received THIS? It's unthinkable. What would your family say? But surprisingly, even though a layer of fear had coated your being, beneath it you felt.. Happiness. When was the last time you were happy about something? You realize now that there's no turning back. Your mind jogs back to the past week where you didn't even think of what you were about to do..

______________________________________________

 

"...Hey, are you listening?"

 

"Mmmhmm.."

 

"Wow, Juri! You're not listening at all!"

 

Your head was smacked hard with a folded magazine, to your dismay. Thankfully it was just made of paper, but it still irked you that your study time was disturbed.

 

"Ouch! Why did you hit me?!"

 

"Because I asked you this so many times!"

 

The person before you fumed with anger as he said that. Blond hair, to the fury of the disciplinary committee, sat on top of his head. His sharp eyes and nose had labeled him one of the most handsome students in your school but for some reason, he gravitated to you like a soulmate.

 

"Yeah, what is it?"

 

"I asked you if being an idol fits me."

 

"An idol?"

 

You pondered on the words of your friend, Youngmin, or Min as you like to call him. You weren't really paying much attention to idols so much; you were more interested in simply surviving the day.

 

"Man, you should keep in trend. Idols are the in thing now!"

 

Min passionately blurted out whilst he was fumbling with his phone. After a few seconds, he shoved it into your face, with a video.

 

"What is this?"

 

You rose your eyebrows, suspicious of his action.

 

"It's TWICE!!"

 

You glanced at the video that Min showed you. It featured a group of stunning beauties dancing to a catchy song. Unbeknownst to your peer, your feet was silently stomping to the beat of the song but you didn't want to tell him that. So you swallowed your interest and gave a nonchalant look.

 

"I-it's meh."

 

"M-meh?!"

 

Min looked at you with disbelief, as if you insulted his family or something.

 

"You're ridiculous, Jeon Juri!! To think that you're HER brother.."

 

You flinched at those words. Jeez, he really does like your sister.

 

"Yeah, she's really popular isn't she? And your bias too."

 

Jinho blushed immediately and nodded his head furiously.

 

"Yeah she is amazing! I'm glad I'm a fan!"

 

"I guess a fan would have a picture of their idol as a wallpaper, then.."

 

"Of course, Juri! You're just unaware of it! You only care about your books!!"

 

He chastised you all of a sudden in a fit of passion. Or rage, whatever came first. You didn't have much energy to retaliate and so you simply resigned to reading up on the current book you're holding on mathematical formulas.

 

"What a waste, Jeon Juri. With your looks, you could've become an idol.."

 

You rose your eyebrows at him in confusion.

 

"You're overreacting, Min."

 

"I'm being serious!! Just look at you!"

 

Jinho turned your face to the mirror. With layered brown hair on your head that is side swept to the right, just above your eyes and covering your eyebrows, much to the dislike of the disciplinary council, the exact same as Min. Unlike him who always knew how to talk around the council, you were scolded every single day about it. Perks of being charismatic, you thought to yourself. Your face is shaped like a heart, and your features are so soft and smooth that you could be mistaken for a girl, if not a feminine boy. You had always hated looking like this though as it always gave you weird looks from other people back in your childhood. You weren't really manly, so you would cower behind your sister even though she was younger than you, and watch as she defended you. She was always the stronger one, both emotionally and mentally. Which was why when she announced to Dad that she wanted to become an idol, he relented.

 

" Me, an idol?"

 

"Yeah! Imagine being Jeon Juri, the male idol with an idol sister!"

 

"She's not really an idol yet technically..."

 

"She did debut! And her fanbase is so huge!! She is going to be trending in her new girl group, I assure you.."

 

Jinho sighed.

 

"You're being nonsensical, Min. I'll never be an idol."

 

"Then what do you want to be?"

 

"Hmm, a scientist..?"

 

You beamed at the thought of wearing a lab coat, equipped with goggles and two flasks with mysterious liquids in it. Understanding the mysteries of life itself and applying what you learnt in school seemed like a dream to you. Plus, the Noble Prize is a tempting little reward.

 

"You're gonna be Korea's first feminine scientist then!! Hahah-ouch!"

 

You slapped Min in the forehead and laughed. Of all people, only his insults would be treated as a joke to you. The two of you always bantered to and fro like this and he was one of the few who managed to break through your barrier that you held since you were little.

 

"Oh shut up, and let me at least finish my chapter."

 

"Whatever you say, Einstein!"

 

You ignored his comment and continued your reading. However, the thought of idols stuck behind your head. Is it really that fun to be an idol? Why do so many people want to become one? You don't really get it..

 

_____________________________________________

 

Whilst you were walking with Min back home, you suddenly remembered to buy pudding for your sister as she craved for some yesterday. You stopped dead in your tracks and tilted your head in an apologetic manner to your friend.

 

"Haha, sorry Min.. I remembered I have to do something.."

 

"What?! Aww... I was about to bring you to the arcade. Ah well, guess I'll go by myself. See you tomorrow, Juri!"

 

You waved goodbye at your friend and walked towards the opposite direction of Min. Even though your sister didn't really ask you to buy pudding, you wanted to treat her to something. You kind of admired her determination to be an idol as she had to go to school, and then to her company to train. And her company isn't really the type to let her slack off, which made you worried for her. However, your worries were misplaced as she not once complained about her situation and instead chose to make the best of it, which inspired her. As you smiled at the thought of her, you didnt notice the person walking on the opposite direction from you, and vice versa, which resulted in the both of you slamming into each other.

 

"Woah!"

"Ah..!"

 

The two of you fell down on the ground with a thud, but the girl seemed to have it rough as she dropped an item, splattering to the floor. The girl looked at the mess in horror, holding her hands to her head.

 

"M-my pudding.."

 

"I am so sorry, miss!!"

 

You apologised repeatedly but the girl seemed to not hear you, instead staring at the ruined pudding. The look on her face is that of someone who had lost her will to live, and so feeling extremely guilty, you lowered your head to her in apology.

 

"Please, let me buy you another one.."

 

She immediately looked at you with beaming eyes and stood up to your level.

 

"Really?! Are you sure??"

 

"Y-yeah, it's my fault after all.."

 

"Oh, thank you very much!!"

 

The girl smiled brightly, as her eyes curved like a crescent moon. She adjusted her hair tied like a bun and her ruffled clothes before holding her hand up to you.

 

 

 

She nodded enthusiastically and walked with you to a nearby convenience store. Along the way, you noticed that she was wearing a black sweater with blue skinny jeans, a comfortable but weird look, seeing that the weather is a little cold. 

 

"Are you not cold?"

 

The girl turned to you and shook her head.

 

"Not really! I wanted to buy my pudding as fast as I can and get back to my training!"

 

"Training?"

 

"Yeah, my idol training!"

 

You nodded apathetically. Why does everyone want to become an idol? Noticing your expression, she looked at you.

 

"Is there something wrong?"

 

"Not really, I'm just reminded of my sister who's also an idol."

 

"Really? What company is she from?"

 

"I don't know, I never asked.."

 

It's not like you have a bad relationship with her or anything. In fact, it was the exact opposite as you two were practically inseparable despite you being in another country for most of her youth. You just didn't want to pry into her business too much, in case you were seen as a nosy brother.

 

"Aww, well ask her if she knows me, hehe! Although I don't think I'm that popular like unnie.."

 

You sensed a little sadness behind her words, but you chose not to pursue the subject.

 

Reaching the store, the girl quickly ran to the dessert section and hurried you along. She took a chocolate pudding while you took a strawberry one.

 

"You're getting one too?"

 

"For my sister."

 

"What a nice brother you are!!"

 

She smiled brightly and nodded approvingly. Setting down both puddings to the cashier counter, you paid for the desserts and left the store with her. Whilst outside, the girl looked back at you and smiled again.

 

"Thanks again for the pudding, mister!"

 

"No problem, I was the one who made you drop it anyways.."

 

You sighed, regretting that you didn't look where you were going and caused someone else precious training time. Hearing that, she giggled.

 

"Well I have to go now. Be seeing you around then!"

 

"Sure, I guess.."

 

The girl ran off quickly, with the pudding in her hands. She was so bright and cheery that you we curious as to what company she is in, but alas she is already gone. Sighing, you dragged your feet back home. Today was a long day and you just wanted to reach back to your humble abode. Dragging your feet along the afternoon with the sun setting, you began to think back about Min's words. For a person like him, it was only natural he expressed interest at being an idol, but saying that you too had the potential? You silently chuckled at his claim. Maybe he was being nice to you, you thought to yourself and was satisfied with that conclusion. With that, you your music player, consisting of your favorite classical songs and waltzed along the lonely streets back home.