4. Return

It's Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

With heavy steps, Sehun marched along the humungous pillars and stone pavements to a particular destination in mind. The blooming cherry blossom trees lined up neatly at the sides, revealing their pale pink color for everyone to admire, signaling the start of spring but Sehun didn’t even spare the flowers a glance as he continued walking with a morose expression. He stopped in front of a majestic wooden door with dragon carvings engraved on it, making it obvious that the person in this particular section of palace is the most important person in the dynasty. Dozens of guards securing the area bowed lowly, offering their respect to the commendable general. Sehun dismissed them with a polite nod while they announced to the emperor about the general’s arrival in his private quarters.

 

 

The doors swung open, revealing a grand room with decorations of gold, silver and jade ornaments everywhere. The room itself seems like a maze with complicated interiors and furniture placement, but Sehun didn’t need much time to locate the room’s owner as he stood out with his shining yellow robe and gleaming crown. The emperor was standing in the far end of his room, admiring his collection of clay figurines on the shelf.

“Beautiful creations don’t you think?” Emperor Ming Shenzong asked while observing his newest addition, the ones that Sehun had gifted him on the day of his arrival.

 

 

 

“Yes, your highness.” Sehun said as he kneeled in front of the Ming Dynasty’s supreme leader.

 

 

 

 

“You seem down, Sehun. Is there anything that I could do to lighten your mood and repay you? After all you have saved this country and I am in debt to you.” The emperor turned around and helped the general to stand up.

 

 

 

 

Sehun heaved a sigh, “Baekhyun was almost poisoned.”

 

 

 

 

Shenzong looked surprised and began thinking hard, his grey beard out of habit.

“Is she okay? When did it happen?”

 

 

“It happened the day I led the army back from war. The princess is fine now, still shaken but alright nonetheless, but Luhan,” Sehun breathed out uneasily. “She is the one who saved Baekhyun and took her place instead.”

 

 

 

 

“Luhan?”

 

 

 

 

“Yes, she’s the girl that my father took in and became Baekhyun’s personal servant. She was also the person who made the clays as a sign of gratitude as an addition to you collection, your highness. She still hasn’t woken up after taking the poison.”

 

 

 

 

The emperor replied, “if you’re planning to go back to Joseon, you wouldn’t even ask for my permission to leave. I know you can find your way back but you’re still here so there must be a reason to your stay. You have a favor to ask, am I right?”

 

 

 

Sehun looked in the emperor’s eyes with determined gaze, “Yes, your highness, I need as much help I can get.”

 

 

 

 

 

------

 

 

 

 

 

“The second prince is back!” the soldiers in charge of securing the palace gates shouted, ringing the huge bell on the watch tower as he spotted Sehun from afar. Other soldiers readied themselves to open the heavily secured gates to make way for the general’s return.

 

 

Sehun raced his steed as fast as possible, not even thinking of having a rest after riding the horse for long hours with no breaks in between. The only thing in his mind is to get to the palace and alarm the king. He didn’t even have the time to notice that the townsfolk are lining on the side of the main road to welcome him back after the battle.

 

 

 

Once the general passed the gates, his black stallion neighs loudly when the harness is pulled, making the horse stand on both his hind legs. Sehun jumped down from his steed after it has calmed down, rushed himself to the king’s pavilion right after that.

 

 

 

 

Each and every step seems heavy for Sehun.

He needs to find the king, tell him what’s going to happen even if his majesty might not even believe the general but he’ll try to persuade nonetheless. It’s for the safety of the royal family and also for the nation, it needs to be done.

 

 

 

 

Sehun slid open the door to the king’s chamber after walking for what seems like forever. He immediately kneeled and bowed fully to the ground as a greeting to his father, not minding how the wounds on his leg are still fresh and untreated.

“Sorry for interrupting, your majesty.”

 

 

 

“I wasn’t informed that you’ll be returning today,” the king said offhandedly. “I’ve heard the news from the emperor of your great service to the country, you’ve made Joseon proud with your achievement, General. What brings you here in a hurry? I thought Shenzong will be holding a celebratory party for you. Where are your men?”

 

 

Sehun sat down on the floor, thinking about what he would say to deliver his theories.

 

 

 

 

“I came back alone, Chanyeol will return tomorrow. I will just get to my point right now. I think it would be better for grandmoth- I mean – Queen Dowager’s birthday to be postponed.”

 

 

Hearing that, the king perks up. “What do you mean?”

 

 

 

 

“I received Baekhyun’s message and after reading all her statements, I think all this has something to do with another surge of rebellion and it would be best not to hold such a big event during this time. We do not know when the rebels will start their plot, I am worried that they will use this event as a distraction and infiltrate the palace when everyone is not ready.”

 

 

 

The king ponders, “I’m sorry General but we can’t postpone it just because your disquiet and concern alone. A lot has been planned and important guests will attend, we cannot just push back the date that easily.”

 

 

 

Sehun went back to his kneeling position, “Your majesty, you need to connect the dots. The maid that failed to assassinate the princess is just one of their back-up plans. If murdering Baekhyun didn’t go through, they will immediately attack the royal family all at once. This is not about a mere concern, your majesty, this is about cutting off their roots before they have the time to grow.”

 

 

 

The king did not say anything else. He silently starred at his son, looking battered and bruised, but still willing to think about others before himself. Sehun has been an obedient and loyal prince, never objecting to his decree on any circumstance. To make someone as dutiful as Sehun to refuse a royal verdict, it must have been something extremely important. But the king’s decision remains unchanged.

“I’m sorry Sehun, you can’t change what’s been decided. There have been too many preparations done for this event. If we cancel, we would only be a laughing material to other noble families. The queen dowager’s birthday will be held tomorrow and that’s final. You are badly injured, go to your room and rest. I will see you tomorrow.”

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun widened his eyes in bewilderment, “No you can’t do that. Everyone’s life will be at risk!”

 

 

 

 

 

Suddenly the doors opened and Minwoo strutted into the room in anger, looking viciously at his brother. “How dare you raise your voice at the king?!”

 

 

Sehun didn’t even bother to greet the crown prince and continued confronting, “please reconsider, father. Baekhyun is nothing but bait to make the security focus on her alone. In this case where Baekhyun’s is the soldier’s main priority, every single one of us is at jeopardy especially you. You can’t let your guards down for a single minute in this kind of situation. Their plan to kill Baekhyun may fall through but they will do everything to get back on their feet and kill us all.”

 

 

 

 

Minwoo grew agitated and clenched his jaw. “Guards, bring the general out of the king’s room!”

 

 

Numerous soldiers immediately fill up the space as ordered by the eldest prince, trying to hold Sehun down and pull him out.

 

 

 

 

“Just give me a few days and I will capture the rebels. Just a few days, please!” Sehun pleaded, now thrashing around in the holds of ten struggling guards. “I’m not gonna let anyone get hurt again. Please postpone the party!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

King Hyunjeong felt his heart ache, feeling the same pain washing over him with the same occurrence from 12 years ago. Sehun had never looked so tired, so pained since that turning point in his life, he never showed any feelings and never begged for anything until today. And this is the first time that Sehun had called him ‘father’ ever since his mother died. This man struggling to break free in front of him was not Sehun the almighty general, he was Sehun the second prince who lost someone dear to him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter