3. The Attempt

It's Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Sehun is leaving.

 

 

He will be bringing only ten troops during the journey to China. The Ming Dynasty is in need of military advisor hence the king of Joseon sent his second prince to go. Sehun wants to protest that he had indeed a lot of things to do, a military army to train, a whole royal family to protect and a kingdom to defend but said nothing against the king’s orders.

And so he prepared his men and horses, a two-day’ supply of food and water, and his weaponries. Not only that, he’ll be bringing his best right-hand, Lieutenant Park Chanyeol to assist his burdening job in the Ming Dynasty’s capital to fight off the Uyghurian pirates.

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun was already teary-eyed before Sehun even left.

“You should better come back alive,” the princess warned emptily. “If you don’t come back before Grandmama’s birthday, I will kill you.”

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun felt loved. He lost his mother, he never really thought the king as his father but his sister who only shared half their blood loves and cares for him. There were only Baekhyun who was sending him off while the rest seemed to not give a care for his departure (except Jongdae because he’s still in house arrest for escaping palace walls and pull off a prank on his tutors, hence unable to see him off). The second prince jumped down from his horse and approached his sniffling sister.

“If I do not return before grandmama’s birthday, you are allowed to leave the palace and venture the village.”

 

 

Baekhyun glared at him with her red eyes, “promise?”

 

 

 

“I promise,” Sehun nodded before he was tackled by the younger girl with a bear hug.

 

 

 

It’s been awhile since both of them showed any affection to each other. But this time, there is no guarantee that Sehun will come back unharmed so Baekhyun is scared. He will be facing one of the strongest tribe that he had never faced before and as skilled as he is, he never know what he’s up against until the war comes.

 

 

“Oh yeah,” Baekhyun suddenly said. She pulled apart from the hug slowly and rummaged through her dress. From her pocket, the princess grabbed a tiny doll and placed it inside the general’s armor.

 

“It’s a lucky charm,” she explained. “Luhan taught me how to make one and she placed a few coins inside the doll in case you need money on your way.”

 

 

 

 

Sehun chuckled, “I hope I won’t die because of this.”

 

 

 

 

“You’re welcome,” Baekhyun replied sarcastically. “But you need to get back home safely okay?”

 

 

 

 

“Why? Because if I come back safely you can see Lieutenant Park again?” the second prince teased while wiggling his eyebrows.

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun blushed and pushed her brother away, “just make sure you get me souvenirs when you get back!”

 

 

 

 

Sehun climbed back on his horse expertly and seated comfortably on top of his ride. The horse was calm in his command and slowly walked towards the palace gate.

 

 

“WAIT!”

 

 

 

 

At the sound, Sehun and his men stopped in place to turn their horses around.
Luhan was heaving tiredly as she had run across the palace yard just in time to catch the group before leaving.

“Luhan?”

 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry I delayed your departure, your majesty. But I would like to give you this,” Luhan said as she approached the second prince.

 

A box was in her hand, clothed with silk with beautiful embroidery. Sehun accepted the box with a raised eyebrow.

 

 

“I heard the Ming Emperor likes collecting clay arts. You can offer these to please him because I heard he became sensitive recently. I know that his majesty will welcome you warmly but a guest must not come empty-handed without bearing gifts right? And you will also find steamed buns with red bean fillings in case all of you need snacks during the journey.”

Luhan offered a sheepish smile and took a few steps back before bowing lowly.

“Please return with great health and victory.”

 

 

 

 

 

The second prince smiled at the thoughtful gesture and made a mental note to thank Luhan when he’s back. Sehun and his troops raced their horses out of the gates, leaving only the two ladies to watch the group disappear behind the brick palace walls.

 

 

 

“So… what should we do now?” Baekhyun asked.

 

 

 

 

“Third and fourth concubine directed you to visit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter