Chapter 4: Catching Up

Rain and Sunflowers

Tap, tap.

I knocked on the glass door of the restaurant softly. I purposefully came back after closing time in hopes I could talk to her and maybe walk her home. However, all I could see was Selia’s blond head moving about, probably cleaning up before she went home.

At the sound, Selia turned around and saw me. She rolled her eyes but walked over and unlocked the door. “Gabriel, what are you doing here so late?”

“I was hoping to talk to her after closing hours so she’s not busy. Where is she?” I asked, looking around. Except for Selia, the restaurant looked empty.

Selia didn’t need to ask who ‘she’ was. “She left with Charles already. You just missed them.”

“Oh.” Hearing Charles’ name brought back memories. Unpleasant ones. When I’d decided that it was time to face her, I had expected to feel this dejection again, but I didn’t think it would feel this bad. However, I shrugged and tried not to show Selia how I really felt.

Selia looked at me with sharp eyes. Yeah, fat chance that acting indifferent would work on her. “Try coming after lunch rush tomorrow. She has enough workers; it’s not like she has to stick around to wash the dishes or anything.”

“Yeah, maybe I will,” I said and turned around to leave, but Selia’s fingers on my ear quickly made me turn back to face her with a yell. “Ow!! What the hell?”

“Really, Gabriel? The girl of your dreams isn’t here so you just leave? What am I, your best friend or just some random talking mushroom you can ignore?” Selia asked hotly.

“Why a mushroom…” I began, but at her deepening frown I quickly muttered an apology and followed her into the restaurant to a table near the bar. “Aren’t you supposed to be cleaning up and closing?”

“I’ve finished. Plus, no one is waiting on me. There’s no reason I can’t make some time for a friend whom I haven’t properly talked to in… gee, how many months have you not shown your mug around here…” she mused mockingly.

I looked down in shame even though I knew she was enjoying the guilt trip. I have been so focused on trying to make things normal between me and Rainie that I completely forgot that I haven’t actually seen Selia for a while.”How have you been? Why are you helping out here? Don’t you have a restaurant of your own to run?”

Selia gasped, clutching her hand to her chest, “Now it sounds like you don’t even want me here!”

I attempted to kick her shin under the table but she expertly manoeuvred her legs away, laughing. “Business is good. Really great actually. I was bored and I need a break so I came here.”

“Your idea of a break is to work at someone else’s restaurant?”

“I like having something to do. You know I’m not one for being idle for too long. It’s companionship I’m looking for. There’s no one I can really talk to around my place.” Selia got up and walked towards the bar. “Can I get you anything? Wine, beer, coffee?” Before I could answer, she suddenly continued, “Ah! No wait, I know just the thing.”

I watched her tinker around as she continued, “it’s not like I don’t have friends where I live, and my employees are great, but sometimes you need comfort only the people close to you can give you.” She set two cups on the table and sat back down. “You weren’t around, so Rain’s the next best thing.”

I shifted guiltily in my seat. “I’m sorry.”

She smiled and squeezed my shoulder. “Hey, don’t feel bad! It’s not your fault. People don’t always stay in the same place forever. You’re chasing your dreams! I’m really happy for you. And we keep in touch so it’s not like we’re drifting apart.”

I returned her smile tentatively. “I do miss you when I’m away, you know. Chris is great and we get along well, but guys just don’t tend to talk very much. Not the way I can talk to you.”

“I am a great conversationalist and confidant after all,” Selia boasted, earning my eye roll. “So how was the tour? I know you send pictures and call me a lot, but it’s not the same. I need to hear it from you in front of me, not through a telephone or on a screen.”

I smiled, feeling a little embarrassed. I don’t know if I can ever get used to the idea of being famous – appearing on news, shows and magazines – it felt surreal. “The tour went really well. The tickets were sold out at every venue… I couldn’t believe it! It seems like we’re pretty well liked.”

Selia laughed again, shaking her head. “‘Pretty well liked? Try absolutely famous and loved by fans all over the world! You know those Korean idols people go nuts over? You’re just as popular as those idols! And even better, cause both of you can speak English.” She shook her head, a big grin still pasted on her face. “I can’t believe my idiot bestie is a big deal now. Your songs are really good, by the way. Are you sure you wrote them yourself?”

“Of course I did!” I said indignantly. “Well, with Chris and some others, but I do write my own share.”

“Relax Gab. I was just kidding. But listening to your songs, it’s hard to believe that I actually know the person who wrote it.” She gestured to my cup, “drink, it’s getting cold.”

I lifted the tea cup and took a sip of the hot earl grey tea. She must have picked these cups… They’re just her taste, pretty and dainty, and quite unlike her often loud and boisterous self.

“I don’t think you should have alcohol or coffee tonight.”

“Why not?”

She sidestepped the question with one of her own. “Say, Gabriel, you seem in pretty good shape. Do you work out?”

“A little. Just to stay in shape, but I’m not about to start bodybuilding or anything. Why,can’t resist my hotness now?”

She ignored me and continued. “There’s a really nice route you should use to jog in the morning… say around seven or so.”

I raised an eyebrow at her, having an idea of where this is going but humouring her nevertheless. “And I HAVE to jog at seven?”

“The scenery is the best at that time!”

“I’m on a break. I didn’t really plan on exercising, I just want to relax.”

“Jogging is relaxing! And it good for your health. And it’s not good to stop exercising if you want to stay in shape.”

I tried my best not to smile at her enthusiasm. “Okay, maybe I’ll go in a few days.”

“You should really go tomorrow.”

“Why?”

“Because I said so. No more questions!”