Searching For Answers

That One Girl

When Ji Hyo wrapped her arms around him, it was one of the happiest moments that he had on his first day at the school. The touch of her skin was enough to make his heart fluttered, that he almost forgot about the connection between the beautiful girl and his deskmate - Kwang Soo. As self-realization struck him, immediately he released himself from her cuddle, "Omo.. Ji Hyo aah. Wae geu rae?"

 

His rejection made her staring at him with disappointed eyes. Her smile quickly disappeared from her face, and Jong Kook could tell that Ji Hyo was hurt by the way he reacted. Still, he firmly believe that it's best not to trigger anymore tension between him and Kwang Soo. Jong Kook wanted to be accepted as a friend by the tall guy, which means he had to keep some distance from Ji Hyo until Kwang Soo could trust him man-to-man.

 

When she didn't reply to him, Jong Kook came up with an excuse to go elsewhere before anyone (especially Kwang Soo) seeing them together. However Ji Hyo stopped him from leaving, "You don't remember.. do you?". "Remember what?" Jong Kook was clueless with the meaning behind her 'strange' question, and simply assumed that she was trying to get him to stay. For the second time, he took off her hand from him. Jong Kook knew he was being harsh towards Ji Hyo, but he was more afraid of the consequences should anybody noticed and became suspicious of their sudden skinship in the open space.

 

With a heavy heart, Jong Kook carried his bag and turned away from Ji Hyo. After the third footstep, he heard her voice calling out sadly, "I wish you will remember everything.. and I shall wait for you no matter how long it takes." Despite being curious of the things that she just told him, Jong Kook made up his mind by leaving without looking back. He prayed hard that she would not follow him to his place, as that could mean 'war' between him and Kwang Soo. For now, he had too much drama with his grumpy deskmate.

 

Once arriving at the student's apartment, he carefully scanned around the area to ensure that Ji Hyo wasn't there with him. When he confirmed that no one was following, Jong Kook went straight to his room at the third floor of the building. He put his bag down next to his study desk, then threw himself on the bed with a heavy sigh. Alone in the room, his mind began to reflect back the words from Ji Hyo, 'I wish you will remember everything.'

 

"Remember what Ji Hyo aah? What are you trying to tell me?" Jong Kook found himself in deep confusion over the short conversation with the mysterious girl whom he just met. While staring at the ceiling, he tried his best to recall about his past. He revisited the life he had when he was much younger - the time when his parents were still alive. However, the more he forced himself to remember, his head felt heavier and in great pain. Somehow his mind refuse to flashback his memory, so he just gave up trying when nothing seems to work for him.

 

The next day, Jong Kook had to drag himself to the class as he didn't have enough sleep due to overthinking about Ji Hyo. He purposely avoided the crowd of students, but his privacy was not for long. While on his way, Eun Hye and her two best friends approached him excitedly. "Annyeong my handsome prince! What a coincidence. Maybe it's fate that I met you before class," Eun Hye smiled with radiant eyes as she looked at him like a girl who has fell in love. She suddenly interlocked her arm with Jong Kook despite her friends were opposing, so Jong Kook just let the girl to cling on to him as the four of them walked side-by-side to the classroom.

 

When they arrived, he quickly noticed the sharp stare from Kwang Soo as they locked their eyes on each other, which made him wondered if it has anything to do with Ji Hyo. Reluctantly, Jong Kook took his seat next to the tall guy and greeted him with a smile, but he was being ignored as always. Before the class begin, Jong Kook took the opportunity to say his apology, "Mianada.. Kwang Soo. I just want to be your friend. I didn't mean to get in between you and your girlfriend.. if that's the reason you've been avoiding me."

 

"If you're referring to Ji Hyo.. then you're wrong," Kwang Soo kept his eyes to the front as he spoke with low voice. It was difficult for him to continue, "She's not my girlfriend." Kwang Soo's confession was a jaw-dropping for Jong Kook. He wanted to ask more, but had to wait till the class ended as their Science teacher had entered the room. While everyone was busy copying the formula written on the whiteboard, Kwang Soo shoved a small note to Jong Kook. He read it in silence, 'Meet me after school at the track if you want to know the truth. I'll be there around 3pm.'

 

As the clock ticking fast, Jong Kook became more and more anxious towards the end of the class. He wondered what Kwang Soo had in mind when he invited him to meet up at the running track, of which one of the possibilities was to give him another 'warning'. When the bell rang for recess, Jong Kook purposely stayed behind until Kwang Soo and the rest of the students went out to the cafeteria. He even declined Eun Hye's offer to have lunch together, telling the girls that he has no appetite on that day.

 

While everybody was enjoying lunch, Jong Kook found himself a hidden area where he could observed Kwang Soo from afar. He wanted to know the current situation between his deskmate and Ji Hyo, just to be sure if it's really 'safe' for him to confront Kwang Soo one-on-one. About 3 minutes later, Ji Hyo finally arrived at Kwang Soo's table. There was nothing strange between those two, which only made Jong Kook became more curious about their relationship. 'I guess the only way to find out is to meet him,' he knew he had no other choice and just prepared himself mentally to face the tall guy.

 

Five minutes to 3pm, Jong Kook arrived at the running track. There was no sign of Kwang Soo, so he just sat on a bench and tried to regulate his anxiety. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, then a familiar voice greeted him. "Try to beat me for 200 metres run. If you win.. then I'll tell you what you want to know," the tall guy threw a challenge and went to the track - ready to compete against Jong Kook.

 

Although he wasn't wearing the right attire and shoes for running, Jong Kook accepted the challenge and took his spot next to Kwang Soo. Before counting down, Kwang Soo gave his final words, "I will not go easy on you. Remember that." At the count on three, both runners took off in speed and did their best to outdo each other for their own reason. Kwang Soo wanted to win in order to protect Ji Hyo, while Jong Kook was determined to uncover the truth. Either way, both runners were not giving up the fight, and all that was for one girl - Ji Hyo.