Her Intoxicating Smell

If Only It Wasn't You

-Donghae-

Behind these closed doors, I thought I could always protect her. I thought that I could protect our little world.

The door clicked open; I didn’t have to look to know who it was. No one else could have known of this place. It was just me and Yoona.

“Ah~! There you are Donghae!” That voice…. It was Hwa Ran.

I turned around immediately, unable to believe the person in front of me. The walls of our little world started to shake, warning that a stranger has entered. It was a warning that something was out of place. That someone unknown has just tried to barge in.

“Uh… Hwa Ran-ah.” I was at a loss of words. What was happening? Where was my explanation?

I saw Yoona slowly come up behind Hwa Ran a couple minutes later. There was a band aid on her cheek and her long hair was no longer long. Her hair was cut shoulder length.

“Yoona… what happened?” She didn’t look at me. She remained quiet. When she finally did look up, I could see the emptiness in her eyes. The emptiness that hasn’t been there in so long. She had locked herself up in her own world again. She was leaving this place that we had created together. She’s throwing away our escape and returning back to reality.

“Oh, she fell down the stairs at home~.”

I walked over to her, leaving Hwa Ran standing in the same place. I lifted my hand and she cringed. Why was she afraid of me? Why was she like this? Finally, I touched her hair.

-Yoona-

“Yoona, why did you cut your hair? The hair that I loved so much?” He said so gently that only I can hear.

I wanted to tell him the truth. I wanted to tell him that the beast has finally awoken. But how can I? How can I when all I can do is show him fear? I wanted to tell him I didn’t want to cut my hair. I knew he loved my hair.

*Flashback to two years ago at the roof*

“Donghae, do you believe in god?”

“Yes. Do you?”

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean Yoona?”

“Because he has never answered my prayers, God has never answered my questions. I feel that God doesn’t exist to hear for my cries of help. He is just silently watching, waiting for our death. I feel as if there is nothing to believe in and that maybe in reality he doesn’t really exist. But at the same time, I want to believe in something. I know that deep down I will have some sort of hope if I have something to believe in.”

He didn’t say anything, just watched me. We stood there for a while. Finally, he spoke.

“You can believe in me.”

I didn’t answer immediately. I looked at him and smiled first. “Should I?”

“…Yeah… believe in me and believe in our peaceful times.”

I laughed lightly. “I guess I can.”

Then, he patted me on the head. It caught me off guard and I didn’t know what to do but stare. His hand slowly moved towards the down my hand. When he reached the end strands, he grabbed a small handful of hair.

“I’ve always wanted to touch your hair.”

I smiled.

“The smell when you walk pass is always so intoxicating.” He lifted it to his nose. “I think I will always be able to recognize this smell, your smell.”

“My smell?”

He smiled and nodded. He let go and my hair quickly fell back into place. He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards him.

“That’s why; don’t ever cut your hair. That way, I’ll always be able to find you.”

I laughed. “Am I your pet?”

He laughed at my remark. “I don’t know, maybe?”

*End Flashback*

-Donghae-

She cut her hair.

*Flashback to last summer*

I waited at our secret place, a place only we knew about. Because it was summer, we no longer could use the roof. So we came here. This is where we go during the summer, when school was no longer available. It was a small cozy place. There wasn’t much, just grass and a bench below a tree. To us, this was all we needed. Every day, at the same time, sitting in the same place, I would wait for her.

The bench creaked. It was my favorite sound in the world. Whenever the bench creaked, I knew that I only had to look to my right and she would be there. I only had to turn my head and I wouldn’t be alone anymore. And that’s what happened every time. I would turn my head and she would be there. And when I looked, she would always be smiling as the smell of her hair intoxicated me.

“What are we doing today?”

“We’re going to go to the hair salon.”

“Hair salon? Why?” I questioned, becoming anxious.

“Hair cut.” She replied, her smile never fading.

“Who? You?” I asked as I grew more anxious.

“Mmm!” She nodded.

“WHY?!” I blurted out, almost too loud.

“You know, you’re supposed to get a trim every three months in order to have perfectly healthy hair.” She replied as if nothing was wrong. But we both knew why I was reacting this way.

“No, I’m not moving.” I was acting childish but it didn’t matter.

“If you don’t go, then I’m really going to get a haircut. How about shoulder length?”

“YAH!”

She ignored me and got up.

“YAH!! Yoona!”

She kept walking.

“Okay, okay, you win. Wait for me. But just a trim okay?”

Then she ran.

“YAH!! I said wait for me! Yah!”

*End of Flashback*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

okay~ to clearify some changes. I changed their ages. In the present, they are no longer highschool student, collegee students. I was writing this chapter and the flashbacks when i realized it didn't really make sense for junior high/middle school kids to have these strong kind of feelings yet. So I changed it. No worries, just their age changes, so nothing confusing is happening. :D

also the part about god, i hope no one takes offense to it, it's just a story. i don't mean to offend anyone about their religion so if it does i'm sorry and it was for the sake fo the story.

haha and welcome back yoona4ever~ haha i was wondering where you went. you were the first person to actually comment on my fanfic so of course i remember you : D hope you don't forget your password again lol