It’s Hot Every Day

I'll Be A Hero

 

It was summer, and the canals ran dry. The city usually consisted of people strolling around the streets but these days it’s so hot. Many people spend their days indoors with the cool air conditioner on. They would drink a cold glass of lemonade next to the pool. Children would swim in the cool water and their pets would lie in the shade.

 

For young Hyunsik, it was hot everyday. Getting burned by the grease and oil all day long until it was time to go home. Cooking was hard work, especially when you are working at the most popular local restaurant in town. Even when it’s 100 degrees outside, it feels like 200 inside. Everyday hyunsik would peek through the kitchen into the dining area and smile at the sight of a regular customer. Always at the same table with the same order. A beautiful and cute college graduate. She was like anything he has ever seen. Some days she would stay for an hour and other days she would stay until the store closes. It may seem a bit creepy to be watching her all the time, but he fell in love with her smile.

 

Today was the day he was going to talk to her. She’s probably never even seen him work there. He never had the courage to confront her but today felt different. After his long shift he was finally off. He decided to go and talk to her before the store closes. He takes a deep breath, wiped off all the sweat he had on his face, took another deep breath, and then started walking towards her table. He slowly gets closer and closer and his heart rate increases ten fold. Beating faster and faster as he approaches the table. Feeling like his heart is about to burst from his chest and sweating like he just took a shower he reaches the table and loses his ability to talk. What should he say? He was frozen. What’s worse is that she didn’t even notice him. She was reading a book. Hyunsik smiles and opens , “He-..” “Hyunsik! Come here really quick!” Oh how convenient. Hyunsik bows and apologizes for bothering her and then runs towards where the voice shouted from. The girl looked up, “Did someone say something?” She shrugged and got up to leave. “What is it Hyunseung?” Hyunseung tosses Hyunsik the keys to the store. “Lock up the store tonight, I have to go somewhere. Important business.” Hyunsik nods and turns around but the girl is gone. “Damn it! I missed my chance. *sigh* Oh well maybe next time.” Hyunseung throws on his cap and opens the door. “Hey little brother! Remember the store closes at 8:00!” Hyunsik turns around, “Okay got it! 12 in the morning!” Hyunseung laughs and closes the door.

(I added music because, why not?)

It was 30 minutes until 8 and Hyunsik had just finished cleaning up. He went by every table and sat at the one the girl always sits at. All the workers already left and it was only Hyunsik and the owner of the restaurant, his father. Waiting for his dad to calculate how much they made this month, a knock on the door startled Hyunsik. He ran to the front entrance and his heart skipped a beat. Standing there was the same beautiful girl he spent almost a year watching. It was only after a few minutes did he notice he hasn’t opened the door for her yet. He opens the door for her and apologizes. “Oh my god i’m sorry, i froze because i thought you were a ghost.” She gives him a confused look and chuckles, “Very funny, and sorry for coming at such a late hour, but i think i left something here.” Hyunsik thinks to himself, “I know, you left me here! Let’s just go home now.” He laughs to himself and let’s her in. “Come on in, i can help look for it. What was it?” “It’s my necklace, well actually, the little jewel on my necklace. I think it fell off. It’s very special to me so i have to find it.” “Yeah no problem, i’ll check this side of the room.” Hyunsik started looking under the tables and seats. Crawling to the last table where the girl usually sits, he looks around but sees nothing. He looks really close at the edge where the wall meets the floor. “Something small is there.” He grabs it and crawls out. A smooth dark green gem. “Hey! I think i found it!”

 

The girl runs over to him. “Oh my god thank you so much! I thought i lost it for good. You’re a lifesaver!” Hyunsik smiles “It’s pretty. I’ve never seen anything like it before.”  “ Aw thankyou, my boyfriend gave it to me.” Right then and there is where Hyunsik died. The police were going to come and they won’t be able to figure out how he died. He can already see his chalk outline on the restaurant floor. “Oh that’s nice. He must really love you.” She laughs “Yes he does. My name is Seo Hee by the way, thank you for helping me find this!” Hyunsik hears her name and then all of a sudden the vision of him dying turned into him waking up at his funeral shouting, “I’m not dead yet!” “Of course! I’m Hyunsik. Nice to meet you!” They shake hands. “If there’s anything I can do to repay you just name it, I always like to return a favor.” Hyunsik chuckles and thinks, “Well you can take me home with you but your parents won’t be ready for a hottie of a husband just yet.” “No you don’t have to!” Hyunsik’s father walks out from the backroom, “You ready to go home?” Hyunsik turns. “We’re going to close the restaurant now, i’ll walk you out.” She nods and they head outside. “Thanks again, next time I see you i’ll say hi.” Hyunsik laughs, “Yeah definitely, i’m here everyday.” They say goodbye and she gets into her car and drives off. “Boy, she is cute, you ask her out?” “No dad i can’t, she’s taken already.” His dad laughs “It’s ok boy. You got your looks from me, but for some reason no girls surround you haha.” They both laugh and lock up the restaurant. Sometimes things are too good to be true. At least he can still see her everyday. Maybe the heat was getting to him, because it’s hot every day.