Killer

Bad Neighbor

                                                                                                              

 

It was almost noon when Youngjae finally woke up. He stirred awake to the sounds of people talking outside his apartment, which was unusual because the only people living on his floor were him, an elderly couple and a bachelor who's often not home. So the third floor was obviously quieter than the other floors, which had families residing.

Youngjae tossed around on his bed for a few minutes trying to fall back asleep, until it hit him that it really is of no use. He really can't fall back asleep once woken up.

He opened his eyes and squinted, his vision a blur. He rubbed his eyes groggily, waiting for his vision to clear up. He then sat up, only to let out a loud groan as he felt the hangover hit him. He opened the drawers on the bedside table in search of painkillers, but couldn't find any.

"What the heck," he frowned. He got out of bed to change into a pair of tracks and a t-shirt, thinking that Junhong would have them. As he opened the main door to leave to Junhong's, he was surprised to see Yongguk standing outside. He then noticed that the apartment right next to his was open, and there were a couple of cardboard boxes placed outside, filled to the rim.  

Yongguk was looking at something on his phone, his resting face, as usual, the one that made him appear unnecessarily intimidating. He also had a deep cave voice to compliment that.

"Youngjae," Yongguk suddenly called, noticing him, "Long time no see, boy." He smiled revealing his gums, his eyes curving into crescent moons. "So much for looking intimidating," Youngjae thought, always amused by how his landlord can look so different in a matter of seconds."This hyung is practically a gummy bear."

"Hi, Hyung," Youngjae replied, bowing his head and leaning against the door frame, "someone's moving in next door?"

"Yeah," Yongguk replied, in his deep voice,  "he's a friend of mine. He'll be staying here for a while until he goes back to Busan."

"Uhuh," Youngjae replied, rather apathetic, "listen hyung, do you have any aspirin?" He asked squinting at him, "I have a horrible headache."

"Oh wait a sec, Daehyun might have some," he said, jerking his head towards the new tenant's apartment, "I'll go get it for you."

"Thanks a lot, hyung." Youngjae replied, rubbing his temples with his eyes closed.

Yongguk went inside the other's apartment and came out holding a strip of aspirin.

"Thank you,"Youngjae said, gratefully receiving the tablets.

"No problem.Take care of yourself, though," he replied, looking concerned.

Youngjae nodded, thanking him again.

"Should I introduce you to him? Yongguk asked gesturing towards the other's apartment. "You'll love him," his deep voice chuckling.

"No it's alright," Youngjae replied. He then bowed his head at Yongguk, who bowed his back with a smile, before closing the door.

Little did Youngjae know, that he would actually come to love his neighbor.

 

"He's kind." Youngjae thought as he made himself some coffee, to drink with the aspirin. Yongguk resided in their building and worked as an author. He was also their landlord in addition to that. He has always been fond of the elder and respected him.

 

"Moving sure is a pain." Daehyun yawned, coming out of the apartment to take the rest of his stuff inside. He turned to his side when he heard neighboring apartment door close. "Yeah? let me help you with that." Yongguk replied, picking up a box and walking inside, with Daehyun following another box.

"So who's my neighbor?" He asked, making conversation.

"Oh, he's a nice kid, around your age too. But do keep it down okay, Daehyun?" Yongguk said, suddenly turning serious, "He recently changed to distance ed, so I don't want you disturbing his studies." 

"Why so serious hyung?" He asked cheekily, "and I'll try." He smirked.

Yongguk rolled his eyes at him, "So, where were you last night? I thought you said you were on the train to Seoul when it was already 9:00 pm. "

"I was at a club," He replied.

"What?" Yongguk looked at him, startled, "And after that?"

"At a friend's place," Daehyun replied with a dry smile.

"Wow," Yongguk was cool with Daehyun's freelance habits and all, but he scared him at times. "You amaze me sometimes."

Daehyun simply laughed at him.

"Okay, that's the last one," Yongguk said as he placed the last box in the bedroom. "now, my apartment is on the 1st floor okay? 101."

"Yep."

"And the art supplies store is straight down the road,"

"Thanks for all your hard work," Daehyun chuckled.

"Yeah yeah, Take care of yourself now.                      

 

Youngjae spent the rest of the day studying. He had made himself a brunch after getting his headache cured and had started studying right after eating it. He was supposed to finish the portions he had saved for yesterday night but obviously hadn't since he had gone to the club afterward. He was still studying when he felt hungry again. He checked his watch; 7:00 pm. "Wow time sure does fly." He mused as he got up to check inside the refrigerator.

"Yo where all the food at?" he gaped at the empty, except for a few pieces of god knows what, compartment. "What... I don't even eat that-" He then remembered that the last time he went grocery shopping was 4 weeks back. He laughed dryly as he got ready to go to the convenience store.

"I really don't know what came over me over the past few weeks." He laughed again, clearly amused at himself.

As he stepped out, he was slightly surprised to hear music playing next door. He had almost forgotten that he has a new neighbor now. "Guess I should at least say "hi" or something." Youngjae wondered, "eh, probably when I get back I might."

At the convenience store, Youngjae picked up some fruits, most of it consisting of packs of blueberries (he loves them) and bananas. He picked up some energy bars, cereal, and soda. Youngjae had to admit that he missed his mom's cooking at times, but it was his choice to move out. His university was too far from home. His cousin, Himchan, suggested that Youngjae moves to his building. He recently changed to distance education anyway, because he decided to work part-time to save money.

Youngjae was waiting for the cashier to give him back his change when he heard the man in the other cue speak up; "Yeah, I'll have a pack of Marlboro gold, thank you." Youngjae felt he sounded familiar, but watched the cashier instead.

"Yes, sir." The female cashier had replied, giving him the pack along with a piece of paper with.... her number written on it.

"Really now," Youngjae thought rolling his eyes. He looked at the man to see his reaction, And he froze. Smiling ever so charmingly back at the cashier, was none other than 'the hot guy at the club'; who he had almost embarrassed himself in front of.

He looked away immediately when the stranger turned to look at him, having sensed eyes on him. Youngjae pulled his hood down, covering up his side profile.

"Sir..? Your change.." the cashier reminded him, a tinge of annoyance evident in her voice. 

"Ah, sorry, thank you." He mumbled, taking it and grabbing his groceries to dash for the exit. 

Youngjae ran back to his apartment, "I so don't know why I find this so embarrassing, but I can't help it! It is, Okay? I didn't just indirectly call that dude gay yesterday but had also somewhat accused him of wanting to screw me," He yelled in his thoughts.

"Wait, I'm probably overreacting a bit.. maybe it's not such a big deal.." He shrugged it off. "No... it is. It is embarrassing! ugh, why god why" He groaned, hating himself at the moment.

His mom called him after a while, so he was taken away from his annoying thoughts for a while. But not for long, as he cringed feeling the embarrassment creep up.

He hit himself on his head with the spatula while cooking, whenever reminded of the cringy memory.

"I obviously won't be able to get any studying done tonight, So I'm just gonna wake up earlier than usual tomorrow and do it," He decided.

He went to sleep after a while, which wasn't really that hard as he was tired.

This was apparently the first change in Youngjae's life, though, after having met Daehyun. The change being that he started delaying his studies.

Not that it's a tragedy or anything, I personally think he could use some of that.

 

                  The next day Youngjae woke up early as decided to study. And so he did till mid-noon until he got up to have lunch.

He usually ate lunch from Himchan's place, since he preferred eating something big for it and also because he didn't particularly know how to cook. For breakfast and dinner, he did away with making himself something simple but tasty to eat. Or he would just order food. But he liked having a proper meal for lunch so he left his apartment and went down to the 2nd floor where Himchan stayed.

"Youngjaee," Himchan sang when he opened his door to find Youngjae standing outside, in his home-wear.

"Still studying hard I see." He said, as Youngjae let himself in and flung himself on Himchan's couch.

"Yeaah don't even bother telling me just what the you've been doing for the past month," Himchan said, actually kicking Youngjae off the couch. Youngjae yelped as he landed on the floor on his , glaring at Himchan as he made his way to his open kitchen.

"Jongup told me that you were on some kind of a study coma(?) so you be glad that I didn't call your family over telling them that you're dead," Himchan said. He then started to plate some food, knowing that Youngjae came to eat.

"I heard someone moved into the apartment next to yours," 

Youngjae nodded.

"Did you talk to him?"

"Not yet, How's work?"

Himchan looked deep in thought as answered, "I've been doing a few contracts nowadays but I haven't landed on anything major yet." He paused, "They probably think I'm not good enough," He laughed dryly, his eyes dark.

Youngjae stared at Himchan, concerned. Himchan was obviously a very good looking man. With his well-proportionate face, straight nose and pale complexion, Youngjae found it stupid that anyone would find Himchan not good enough for a modeling job.

"I sometimes get tired of it," Himchan continued, "of how it affects my self-esteem." Himchan rolled his eyes, "and my pay."

Himchan was a model who did pretty well at the start of his career. Then his agency suddenly decided to go bankrupt out of nowhere, leaving him shook. He easily managed to find another agency to take him in, but they would give all the good contracts to the tops of the company. Which restricted him from displaying his caliber. This evidently pissed Himchan off most of the time, having been one of the top models in his previous agency, and being a man of pride.

"Hyung, I'm pretty darn sure that you would end up at the top again," Youngjae said sincerely, "you deserve it."

Himchan looked at him somewhat touched. He then laughed obnoxiously, hitting Youngjae on the back, making him almost choke on his food.

"Look at you being a ," Himchan said smirking, "Nice to see that you care," He smiled at Youngjae, looking grateful.

Youngjae ignored him, knowing well that he does and continued to eat.

 

When he came back to his apartment, he noticed that there was a pair of female shoes outside his neighbor's apartment. Not sure of why he noticed it, he listened to the music playing that could be heard outside.

"Robin Thicke, blurred lines," He thought as he stared at the shoes. "Looks like he's got a girl over." He entered his apartment, taking his shoes off. He gathered his books and headed to bed, thinking that he would study on his bed for a change since he had decided to just go over case reports that day.

Youngjae had continued to read through them until it was night. He then got up to make himself a warm bowl of vegetable soup and then decided to sleep. He felt pretty content with how he spent the day, as he drifted off to sleep around 11.

 

Youngjae was woken up from his sleep, yet again, but in the middle of the night now.

*Thump*

*Thump*

Youngjae had opened his eyes, 

*Thump"

He stared up at the ceiling in a daze, as he processed what's happening.

*Thump*

Sleep soon left him as the sounds continued, and he checked the time; 1:20 am

"What is that? the wall?" he thought, confused as got up to frown at the wall behind his bed.

*THUMP*

"YES-DAEHYUNIE!"

"What the ," Youngjae said out loud, confused at ever,

"PLEASE-DONT-STOP! AAH!"

Youngjae's eyes became bigger as he stared at the wall in horror -He didn't just wake up to the sounds of , did he?

*THUMP*

"OH GOD- DAEHYUNIE- YOU"RE AMAZIN-"

*THUMP*

"Oh my god it is !" Youngjae told himself in horror,

"DAEHYUNIE PLEASE DON'T STOP!"

*THUMP*

"Eeew I can hear them do it,"  he said scrunching his face in disgust,

"DAE-HYUNIE!"

"AAH!"

"She really needs to keep it down," Youngjae thought, cringing at the girl's desperate screams. But the screams only got louder along with the sounds of the headboard of their bed hitting the wall.

"Just how am I supposed to sleep with all this noise?" Youngjae whined, covering is face with a pillow.

 

                 As Youngjae made breakfast the next day, he thought of the events that took place the previous night. Stripping him off his much-deserved sleep. The sounds hadn't subsided until 4 in the morning,

"Only three hours before I normally wake up !!" he thought out loud, frustrated. He seriously can't believe that he couldn't get any sleep because he could actually hear his neighbor going at it till dawn.

It was horrible. He didn't know what to feel about it, whether to feel pissed at not having gotten much sleep or uncomfortable at how he had to listen to someone else's intimate moment.

He frowned, clearly not in a good mood, as he sat down to eat. Only to get up as he heard the doorbell ring.

It was Junhong and Jongup, who wanted him to watch the dance they choreographed, for an event that will be held today at their dance institute.

After he showered them with praises and compliments having watched their dance, he told them to have breakfast with him, knowing that the boys have not had it. 

"I didn't sleep very well last night," Youngjae said then sipped on his coffee.

"Why, hyung?" Jongup asked,

"He was probably studying a lot," Junhong replied.

"No," Youngjae shook his head, "I slept around 11 yesterday."

"Then why do you say that you didn't get any sleep?" Junhong asked, confused. 

For some reason, Youngjae felt awkward about telling them, "I could hear my neighbor yesterday," Youngjae said, "screwing some crazy chick who just couldn't keep it inside their bedroom..." 

It only took a second for it to hit the two boys about what the older meant and they shrieked in laughter. Jongup even fell out of his chair, Junhong covered his mouth so that he doesn't spray Youngjae with half-chewed food. 

Youngjae stared at them, irritated.

"Oh my god hyung," Junhong said, wiping away tears, "It's funnier because it's you,"

Jongup nodded, still laughing.

They just found the idea of having someone like Youngjae go through something like that, simply hilarious.

Which Youngjae could understand. People tended to think that Youngjae's something of an empty guy, who only studied and was hardly bothered by other things.

And here he was, unable to sleep because he can hear his neighbors having .

"Is it the new neighbor? Yeah, Yonggukie hyung told us about him," Junhong said when Youngjae had looked at him questioningly, "Did you talk to him yet?" he asked.

"Not yet," Youngjae replied as he bit on a piece of toast, "and I find it awkward to do it now."

"It's okay hyung," Jongup said, having finished his food. "Maybe he was just excited about the new place,"

"And had a wild night to celebrate it," Junhong chuckled, still not entirely able to stomach the incident.

"Hmmm.. Anyway, shouldn't you guys be leaving?"  Youngjae said, reminding them that it was almost 11:00 am. 

So the boys had rushed, grabbing their belongings and not even tieing their shoes properly so that they don't miss the bus.

"Well, maybe he was just celebrating his new home... and bed," he thought flatly.

Well boyyyy was he wrong or what?