More than Friends

Just Friends

Jessica was twelve when she first met Taeyeon.

Taeyeon was the clumsy same age kid who just moved next door with her parents, a new neighbor her own parents wanted her to befriend, saying she needs an actual friend and cant be just with her baby sister, Krystal. That she needs to start socializing.

The two became friends despite the fact that they're polar opposites. It's a good thing though, because Jessica hates moving so much and Taeyeon is accident prone when left in the open, the two compromised and instead would mostly spend their time indoors where Taeyeon would tinker on things or would draw places she dreamt on visiting when she grows up while Jessica sits on the side reading a book, totally immersed in another world where she lives her fantasies.

Little Taeyeon can no longer be seen falling off trees nor Jessica locked up in her own room playing house with Krystal.

- - -

Jessica was sixteen when she first found out she's different.

By now her circle of friends has grown but Taeyeon remains as her closest, most special friend.

While Taeyeon became a social butterfly, Jessica kept her circle smaller but closer.

The two would still spend time together on weekends, Friday nights are always for sleep overs alternating from each others houses.

When most of Jessica's friends started to date and have boyfriends, Jessica was not at all interested. Her friends would ask her if she's interested in girls instead but her answer is always a firm no. She's neither interested with girls nor boys. But she sure is interested in one person only.

Kim Taeyeon

Maybe she's gay, but she's only gay for Taeyeon.

Other girls are not as interesting, they're not as cute as Taeyeon nor boys could be as charming as Taeyeon.

They're not as kind as Taeyeon who would help out an elderly cross the road even though she's already fifteen minutes late to class.

Most of all they don't know her like she does. Only Taeyeon knows Jessica well to make sure there are no cucumbers in her sandwiches before she hands it to her during lunch. She never fails.

And this is when Jessica believed that polar opposites do attract, and she was too deep in attraction.

Too deep that she starts to notice whenever Taeyeon smiles, the room would lit up. When she laughed her ahjumma laugh it brings her warmth inside like the world is all too great and nothing can go wrong. And when Taeyeon would touch her the slightest butterflies in her stomach goes wild she's afraid one day they might escape.

And she might not want to say it out loud but she’s the happiest when everyday Taeyeon would wait up for her so that they can go home together. Her day is can only be complete this way.

- - -

Jessica was eighteen and both her and Taeyeon are on their final year in high school when she witnessed someone - a girl - confessed to her Taeyeon by the hallway.

The girl's face was beet red while her arms outstretched, hands slightly shaking holding a small red box of what she can guess contains either cake or chocolate.

Taeyeon, albeit hesistant accepted the box and thanked the girl.

And Jessica might not want to admit it but she’s seeing green and something is eating her insides - she's jealous - that she avoided Taeyeon that day.

She went home alone and locked herself in her room, too furious that she ignored someone's knocking on her door.

Only her mom calling her down for dinner later that evening did she went out her room to join her family for the meal and found a familiar looking red box on the living room center table, and some left over chocolate bits on a plate with Krystal watching TV and a fork clamp between her lips - her sister could be a messy eater sometimes that some chocolates stained the side of her lips.

"Jung Soojung, where did the cake came from?"

Startled, her little sister abruptly turned to her before removing the fork off .

"Oh, this?" Krystal asked pointing to the box, she nodded. "Taeyeon-unnie came earlier with this cake, looking for you. Since you probably were sleeping when she knocked like for about an hour on your door, she just left and gave me the cake. The cake has peanuts saying it'll be a waste to throw it away and handed it too me. It's probably for you, but I got hungry, I hope you don't mind I ate it." Krystal then flashed her a smile. She only scrunched her nose before walking to the dinner table.

She's never gonna touch that cake anyway. Not when its from someone who's trying to sway her Taeyeon.

Starting that day, Jessica would drop by their favorite bakeshop everyday to buy cakes and other pastries to share with Taeyeon during lunch breaks that Taeyeon is blaming her for gaining unwanted fats. But Jessica says she doesn't mind, chubby Taengoo is the cutest as she squish her cheeks and feed her another slice of chocolate cake.

And no one dared to offer Taeyeon anything at all when Jessica is always around shooting death glares. Nobody dares go near Taeyeon to be exact.

- - -

When they graduated high school Jessica cried so hard. This means she'll be spending less time with Taeyeon when college starts.

She's relieved that she'll be going to the same school with Taeyeon but they're taking different courses and they might not share same classes, they'll have different schedules and Taeyeon might share a room with a different person on the dorm. And what if that future roommate might take her Taeyeon away from her?

No, Jessica wouldn't let that. Taeyeon is hers and that midget with a goofy smile and adorable chin dimple should know. Jessica will make it known.

With a made up mind, Jessica marched out of her bedroom and out their house, determined to confess to the girl next door.

Halfway to Taeyeon's house, Jessica bumped with the girl she's intending to see.

"Taengoo?"

"Sica?"

Jessica stared and stared at the girl, suddenly she's loss of words and her heart is louder that its the only thing she hears.

Taeyeon was so cute with a hoodie on covering her head but her ears are out. It didn't go unnoticed to Jessica how Taeyeon was rubbing her neck - a habit the girl does whenever she's nervous. She's not looking at her as well, her eyes darting everywhere but her - Jessica is positive she's nervous.

Jessica isn't sure what is Taeyeon nervous about but she's definitely not letting her own nervous feeling get in the way of confessing, so she cleared , getting rid of the imaginary lump on and fire of determination in her eyes.

"Taeyeon I want to tell you something."  Jessica  look at Taeyeon  who was now  looking at her with an expectant look.

Here goes nothing. Jessica thought.

"Taeyeon let's be dorm roommates when we start on college, please? I don't like to share a room with strangers." And Jessica wanted to slap herself.  

Roommates? Seriously Jessica Jung Sooyeon, you call that confession? Jessica is mentally scolding herself but she still willed herself to look at Taeyeon.

Jessica sees a flash of disappointment cross Taeyeon's face but nevertheless the girl offered her a smile after looking at her, but her smile didn't reach her eyes.

"I'm not sure Sica, I might get a room for myself if it's an option." And Taeyeon can't look at Jessica straight in her eyes when she answered.

To say that Jessica is disappointed is an understatement. She wasn't able to confess and Taeyeon doesn't want to be roommate with her, maybe Taeyeon got tired of being her friend already? The thought is heartbreaking.

"Taengoo-ah, are you tired of me already? Don't you want to be friends with me anymore?"

And Taeyeon took a deep breath that Jessica think her own breath was taken as well as she waits for Taeyeon's answer.

"Actually yes, I don’t want to be friends with you anymore.  I'm tired of being just your friend. I -"

And Jessica had to cut Taeyeon off by covering the latter's mouth with her right hand as her left tried brushing away the tear that escaped her eyes.

"I don't want to hear anymore Taeyeon. It's fine, I get it. I know its suffocating being friends with me, I understand, you do-"

And this time its Taeyeon's turn to cut Jessica off by doing the same, covering the girl's mouth using her right before removing the one covering her own so she can speak.

"Jessica Jung, I said I'm tired of being just friends with you."

And Jessica could be really dense and stupid at times as she tried to cover her ears refusing to listen to Taeyeon. The only thing that registered in her mind is that Taeyeon doesn't want to be friends anymore.

With the idea that she already lost Taeyeon, Jessica thought she might as well confess her real feelings since she got nothing to lose now.

"Fine, if you don't want to be friends  anymore, I don't want to as well because I don't want to be just friends. Because I really like you Taeyeon, and what  I want is  to be more than just friends but you probably don't feel the same, but it's oka-"

And what happens next rendered Jessica stoned and speechless. Soft lips pressed firmly on her own. Taeyeon kissed her, no - Taeyeon is kissing her.

After what seemed like forever - with countless of butterflies on her stomach had fluttered, seeing imaginary fireworks light up her world and stars shinning so brightly - Taeyeon ended the kiss with a light peck once more before grinning at her widely.

"That's what I've been meaning to say as well. I thought you'd never confess so maybe I should do us both the favor and I planned to confess instead. You beat me on the last minute Sica-ah."

"I- ah. I t-thought you dont want to be friends anymore?" And Jessica is just plain dense to still not get what Taeyeon meant.

"Sica-ah you silly. You really should get rid of that bad habit of jumping to conclusions and should listen carefully.  I said I don't want to be  just friends with you, because I really like you too and I want to be more than just friends. So will you be mine?" And Taeyeon flashed her a smile so bright its almost blinding.

And as everything slowly sinks into Jessica, a silly grin broke from her lips as she looked at Taeyeon who's sporting her own goofy grin with her adorable chin dimple.

"So we both don't want to be just friends?" Dense Jessica had to ask to which Taeyeon answered with a nod.

"And you want me to be yours?" A silly Jessica had to ask.

"That's what I've been asking you, silly." Taeyeon playfully knocked Jessica's head earning her a pout.

"So what's your answer?"

Jessica pretends to think before nodding her head cutely."Yes"

"Yes, what?" Its Taeyeon's turn to be playful this time.

"Yes, I'll be yours." Jessica answered sweetly.

"Of course you will, you could be really obvious miss Jung." Taeyeon meronged, and Jessica answered that  with a pinch on her favorite chubby cheeks as she grin.

"Since when did you know?" Jessica asks.

"Ever since you don't like sharing me to others when we started high school."

"I guess I'm that obvious, huh?"

"Yes you are."

"So can we now be dorm  roommates?"

"Yes, of course! I don't want you to room with some strangers. I don't like to share you with others."

"Wow Kim Taeyeon I didn't know you're this possessive" Jessica faked a shocked expression.

And warmth spread allover when Taeyeon seized her by the waist before engulfing her in a hug.

"Well you just agreed to be mine. You know I dont share." Taeyeon whispered endearingly that Jessica grins like a fool.

"I have one more question." Jessica voiced.

Taeyeon moved a bit enough  to look at Jessica without letting go of the hug. "What is?"

"So can I call you my girlfriend now?" Jessica asked cutely and Taeyeon's answer was multiple pecks on her lips before she fully captured her lips in a sweet kiss.

"You don't have to ask. We're more than just friends right, girlfriend?"

 

 

- - - -

A/N

Found this left unfinished in my drafts and I'm not really sure what was the original plot, but I think this is cute to leave it hanging so with whatever left of my imagination I finished this in one sitting and on mobile.

 

I hope this is satisfying enough! Really would love to read your honest thoughts so leave me some comments!