First Impressions

The Double B Files

“Go on, say. What did you think of me?” Bobby demanded, his lips pressed to Hanbin’s temple. It was one of their rare, lazy afternoons spent in bed. They’d been together for ages now but Bobby still wasn’t sick of teasing Hanbin about how stand-offish he’d been when they’d first met. Hanbin hated it and loved it at the same time.

They’d been introduced by YG in his big white office and looking around in awe it had really hit Bobby that it was happening - he was going to be a YG trainee.

"Bobby this is Hanbin," YG gestured to the taller boy with a severe face who bowed stiffly, "and this is Jinhwan," YG informed him as the other small boy who was as pretty as a fairy bowed at him with a shy, friendly smile. 

Jinhwan and Hanbin had struck Bobby as close already, that made his heart sink. And they were so...Korean with their neat stylish hair, fashionable clothes and dewy skin. Bobby had felt like an American-Korean-hybrid-alien with his shaggy long hair, tanned skin and daggy hand-me-down clothes from his older brother. He'd scratched his arm nervously then stopped himself, he'd been too nervous to smile. 

He remembered clearly the way Hanbin had looked him up and down with his steely black eyes as if trying to make a calculation. He’d suddenly felt like clumsy toddler wearing nothing but a diaper. He remembered his stomach had done nervous acrobatic as he tried to wrap his head around the fact that Hanbin was younger than him. With his confident, competitive demeanor and intelligent gaze he seemed ten years older, like he was an adult in a boy's body. Bobby had decided in a split second that Hanbin was by far the most intimidating guy he’d ever met.

 “I can’t remember. It’s too long ago.” Hanbin whined through a cringing smile. He tried to roll away across the bed, but Bobby held him fast.

“Lies! Admit it! You were doubtful, I saw it in your eyes. You were sizing me up!” Bobby scolded Hanbin who laughed. “You didn’t think I’d make it, did you? You thought I’d go home crying in a week!” When Hanbin refused to confirm or deny Bobby gave him a tickle which made him squawk. 

“Well….” Hanbin replied eventually with a sheepish smile, “not a week…maybe a month…”

Bobby tutted and pushed Hanbin away in mock disgust. Hanbin laughed and turned around. He wiggled up against Bobby’s chest apologetically.

“You just looked so innocent, like such a kid! I didn’t know you were so…so…”

“So what?” Bobby asked taking Hanbin’s face in his hands. Hanbin placed a hand on his stomach and his heart jumped.

“So cool. Energetic. High tension. When you arrived you looked like your Pooh Bear. You matched him in innocence.”

“What?!” Bobby protested with embarrassed laughter and Hanbin laughed too. Hanbin closed his eyes and snuggled Bobby tighter.

“Well...don’t you want to know what I noticed about you?” Bobby demanded, not willing to miss out on his opportunity to in return.

“Nope.” Hanbin mumbled against Bobby’s warm, supple skin.

“Ok I’ll tell you.” Bobby continued ignoring Hanbin’s defiance, “You….”

“Had a big nose. The biggest you’d ever seen?” Hanbin suggested.

“Yes. True.”

“And big lips. For a guy.”

“Yes, that too.”

“And my ears stuck out. Like a monkey.”

“Yep, I did think that actually,” Bobby confirmed, ticking off a mental checklist.  

“And that my eyes were black and scary.” Hanbin grumbled. Bobby made a noise in agreement then waited in anticipation for what always happened next. Like clock-work Hanbin sat up in a huff.

“Well, I don’t know why you want me if I look like a monkey. Anyway, no one said you had to like me, that was your silly choice.” Bobby grinned, loving Hanbin’s sulky-mode. He couldn't help it, Hanbin needing him to find him attractive made him melt. 

“Yeah sometimes you do look like a monkey…” Bobby agreed. Hanbin threw him a dirty look over his shoulder and went to hop off the bed but Bobby grabbed him from behind once again.

“But I never said I didn’t like your big nose. I just said I noticed it.” He couldn’t see Hanbin’s face but he knew Hanbin was fighting back a smile. He nuzzled the top of Hanbin’s head.

“What about my big lips?” Hanbin asked, still sulky.

“I liked your big lips.”

“And you liked my ears?”

“Yep and your ears that stick out.”

“And my monkey face?”

“Yep, and your monkey face. I liked all of it. I like all of it. I like everything the way it is.” Hanbin was now limp in his arms, soft, warm and precious as a giant puppy. How had he ever possibly found him scary? Hanbin craned back his head for a kiss and Bobby returned the favour tenderly.

“Nice save.” Hanbin congratulated him sarcastically, standing up and putting on his clothes. “Now let’s go eat Ramen.”

“No pizza! Please, please, please!” Bobby pleaded. He hadn’t had pizza for ages, not since their trainer had imposed upon him a horrendous low carb diet. He watched as the leader decision making process flashed across Hanbin’s stern face. Was he going to let him break the rules? Hanbin finally smiled and started getting dressed. Bobby punched the air in triumph the moment Hanbin’s back was turned then began getting dressed. Hanbin totally noticed and smiled to himself. He couldn't help indulging Bobby, it just made him so happy.

“Alright then, pizza it is. Just don’t tell the others they will sulk.”

Bobby hugged Hanbin from behind locking his arms to his sides. 

"No but really, when I first saw you, that was it."

"What was what?" 

"I loved you. Just like that. I thought I was scared of you, but really I was just surprised...." Bobby paused to kiss the pointy bone at the top of Hanbin's spine. Hanbin's heart fluttered and he felt weak all over. In moments like this it was so incredible that of all the people in the world Bobby could have picked to love...he'd picked him. 

"You were surprised?" Hanbin smiled, feeling as fluffy and light as a cloud of cotton candy. 

"Yeah...I never expected to fall in love with a guy who looked like a monkey," Bobby laughed. Hanbin spun around wildly to glare at him. "An adorable monkey!!! I swear!" Bobby cried, taking Hanbins wrists. Hanbin tried to give Bobby a death stare but he couldn't keep it up past two seconds. Bobby's smile was too silly and they both cracked up. Hanbin shook his head and resumed getting dressed, smiling to himself and knowing full well that Bobby liked him just the way he was. 

“I love you, Monkey.” Bobby grinned. 

“Yeah, yeah. Love you too Pooh," Hanbin smirked, taking Bobby's hand and leading him out the door.