{2}

The Beauty of 'You & I'

(A/N: Sorry for the long absence, but I forgot all my previous ideas so I made a plan and now I'm back. I also decided to tell the story in narrator's pov - at least most of it. I'm also making the story past tense. Sorry for the inconvenience.)

. . .

The sun shone brightly through the white curtains of Naeun's room. Today was Apink's long awaited day off where all, but one decided to sleep in.

Naeun was skimming through her organised walk-in closet that she shared with Chorong. There were still boxes filled with Hayoung's clothes that were awaiting their owner. 

It was only recently that the girls decided to have a room change just for the heck of it. They had two apartments - one with two bedrooms and the other with three. The two bedroom apartment had a very big room which required two girls to share and through the old-fashion pick a number out of the hat game, Naeun and Chorong ended up in the big room.

After skimming through the closet a few more times, she settled for a very casual and more laid-back look with the usual signature black, knowing she would be training.

As of late, Naeun had been training harder than anyone thinking she still had a long way to catch up to others, but unbeknownst to her, she had earned everyone's recognition and respect. Her improvement with her skills, as well as her confidence has shown more than enough that she truly deserves her place in the group. But then again, when did she ever not?

Her outfit consisted of a stylish white and slightly loose long sleeve, black jeans and black Nike sneakers. She decided to leave her hair down.

Quietly, she closed the closet door and grabbed her black Cambridge Satchel Company Portrait Backpack that was sitting atop her bed. 

One last time, she checked herself in the mirror before leaving, but not before writing a short note to her roommate.

. . .

Upon hearing the apartment door closing, Apink's reknowned MamaRong stirred, trying to adjust to the bright light that dared to burn her eyes.

When the blurriness subsided, she sluggishly lifted herself up to the sitting position, before looking around in search for her roommate.

Noting that the latter was nowhere to be found, she sighed and got up. Only then did she notice the pink flower patterened note that was neatly placed on their shared working desk.

Chorong briefly stretched before making her way to the note. 

Didn't want to wake you. I have something to do. I'll be back before dinnerヾ(*'∀`*)ノ

Once again, the eldest let out another sigh. 'I wish you'd stop pushing yourself so much, Naeun-ah...'

Chorong places the note back on the desk. With one final sigh she grabs her phone and checks the time, only to be met with a sudden phone call.

Namuhyun<3 

"Ahh... Why did you have to put in such an embarrassing nickname?" Despite her embarrassed tone, unconsciously formed a loving smile. "Only for you..." Chorong quietly mumbles, before accepting the call.

'Took you long enough.'

"Yeah yeah. Why'd you call?"

'Well, isn't someone moody this fine morning.'

"Fine morning? Pft. As if."

'It's Naeun again, isn't it?'

"Aha. You know me so well."

'*chuckles* What kind of boyfriend would I be if I couldn't even tell why my girl's upset?'

"Wah so cheesy." A crimson colour decorates her cheeks as she feels herself get flustered by her boyfriend's comment.

'You know you love it' - 'I do...' Chorong thinks to herlself, further deepening her blush. 'Now, would you care to enlighten me on your worries?'

"It's just - Naeun's been overworking herself more than usual and the members and I can clearly see that she's lost a lot of weight. I just- I... I just wish she'd see that she's proven to everyone that she's capable and worthy of her place. It tears me apart to see her working herself sick. She's sick, I can just feel it... I don't know what to do." The last sentence came out with a sob and crack of her delicate voice.

'...Want me to talk to her?' Chorong halted her crying as she put some thought into the idea, before concluding that it could help that someone outside the group, would be the one talking some sense into her.

"Thank you..." 

'Don't mention it. I'll do anything to make you smile. Hehe.' There was an evident playfulness in his tone that just subconsciously made her smile.

"Eww. Stop it." Chorong let herself go along with it.

'Ahaha. Well anyways, I have to get going. We have practice. Bye! Love you!'

"Love you too." With that, they hung up.

"Well, I should just enjoy my day off. No point in wasting it." The Apink leader mumbled to herself with a sigh, before walking out of the room.

. . .

Naeun was practicing her accuracy and timing to improve her dancing. She had been there for just under an hour, but she was already covered in sweat. 

Too focused on her dancing, she had missed the voices that had approached the room that she was in. It was only when the song had finished that she was snapped out of her undivided focus by the eager claps of an audience she did not know she had.

In her surprise state, she whipped herself around to face the door, only to be met with a bigger surprise. 
There at the entrance of the practice room, stood seven males she recognised all too well; Infinite.

Their clapping ceased, but the proud smiles on their faces remained. All but one. 

On the very right, stood Infinite's visual with a blank, uninterested face whilst looking out into the distance. This had given Naeun the urge to frown and dwell on it, however, she did not want to seem weak to others. Plus, how would they react if they knew that she liked him? Better yet, how would he react?

But before she could be further consumed in her thoughts, the rest of Infinite decided come over and give her pats on the back and ruffle her hair as if they were siblings of some sort.

"That was amazing."

"You should be proud of yourself."

"You're the best!" This exclamation even came with a thumbs up.

"You've worked hard."

"That was on-point and coming from the Dance Machine himself, that's got to mean something." The comment made Naeun smile widely along with a slight giggle.

"Coughselfproclaimedcough!" The ever-so-playful Woohyun remarked, causing an eruption of laughter from everyone in the room, but the one man still standing in the doorway, ignoring the happenings around him.

Noticing this, Naeun stopped her laughing, before making her way to Infinite's L, known to her as Kim Myungsoo. But she knew her current place. "Hello, L-sunbaenim." She said politely with a bow. 

Her response was merely his gaze upon her. Nevertheless, she carried on, hoping to ignite a conversation between them. "Are you preparing for something? A comeback maybe?"

There was silence for a few seconds, until Myungsoo gave out a sigh. "No, we were instructed to create our own choreography and post it on SNS and YouTube because we haven't been that active as of late." 

Initially she was slightly shocked as that was the most conversation-like talk that they'd ever had. Even so, she knew not to ruin the moment... But the rest of Infinite did not know that. 
As Naeun was about to reply, they decided it would be fun to tease them.

"Aww cute couple~" 

"Just date already!" 

"Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!" Cringey, but it still earned snickering from the teasing bunch.

Naeun's cheeks became tinted with a tad bit of pink, as she was being pushed into a flustered state. However, this had affected the other victim differently. Myungsoo let out a low growl before going around Naeun and getting ready.

Getting the message that they went too far. The boys sent Naeun a sorry-look which she waved off, letting them know that it was alright.

Then out of the blue, Jang Dongwoo came up with a brilliant idea. "Hey, I know! Why don't you feature in our dance video? It's only a small project, but if it gets a lot of attention, we could possibly make an M/V."

Surprised by the sudden plan, their eyes turned to Dongwoo, even Myungsoo himself. Shrugging it off, he continued. "Well think about it, it'll be good for both our groups and you. It will expand our fanbases and you'll gain more recognition for your talent. Doesn't that sound like a win-win situation?"

After a few moments of thinking it through, Sunggyu, Woohyun, Sungjong. Hoya and Sungyeol agreed and even encouraged her, saying she'd be perfect for it. Even so, two idols were still reluctant about the idea. One showing it more than the other. "Why her? There are so many who are more fitting." Myungsoo said by standing up and approaching the group.

The comment had earned him disapproving glares from his group while Naeun hung her head down slightly, trying to cover up her hurt-filled expression, suppressing the tears that threatened to fall. 

With a staggered sigh, she lifted her head once again, putting a strong front. "No, he's right. Why me? I'm not that good anyways. I'll only hinder you." Naeun stated, putting on a fake smile to hide her hurt and sadness. Whispering, "You'll be disappointed in me..."

Myungsoo let his gaze linger on her for moment, before showing signs of regret. He let out a frustrated sigh, he took a few steps towards her, engulfing her in a loose, awkward one-armed hug. "Sorry. It was all lies. Everything I said..." Myungsoo said in a whisper. "I'm a real mess right now... But you really are perfect for it..." After saying that, he let go and turned back to where he was preparing himself before, not missing the confused, surprised faces of s.

Naeun smiled brightly. "Okay, I'll do it."

The shocked boys, heard her and cheered. "That's more like it. Now, let's not waste anymore time. Let's get started." Sunggyu exclaimed before getting ready.

It had taken them just under three hours to make the chereography and practice it to perfection. They decided to take a five minute break, which had since, come to an end.

Sunggyu was the first to stand. "Come on guys, let's film it and upload." 

Everyone else groaned in exhaustion, but still stood. After years of training, it was only natural that they'd be able to endure it. As they stood, they wiped their sweat with their towels, before standing in their proper positions, waiting for the song to start. 

It was a new song. A still-in-progress song, written and composed by Infinite's very own Nam Woohyun. It was up-beat. It wasn't a love song. It was more so about being a middle child. Never getting as much attention as the others and even when you do, it is always interrupted. It was change of song type for once. A different, unique concept, but definitely relatable.

There were some sad parts that were slow - the beginning and towards the end - but most of it was up-beat. The lyrics showed frustration and chaos, but in the midst of it all, happiness. Because when you're a middle child, life would never be the same without the chaos of it all. Siblings. Can't live with them. Can't live without them.

"Okay, let's start." As if on que, the music started and off they went, nailing every dance move and you might've guessed, but Naeun was the 'middle child' and Infinite were her 'siblings'.

After checking out the video they took, they decided it was perfect and uploaded it on each of their SNS and YouTube, including Naeun's SNS.

"Have a rest, pack up and go home." Sunggyu instructed, fully satisfied with what they had accomplished.

.  .  .

Apink was starting to worry about Naeun who had been gone for almost a four hours. They were in the living room, watching a movie. At least trying to. 

They were too occupied with their worries that they were unable to focus on the film that was playing. Hayoung was playing games to relax herself, Namjoo had fallen asleep from waiting, Eunji was waiting for Naeun to reply to her text and Bomi was waiting for Naeun to pick up her phone with Chorong.

While Eunji was waiting, she decided to go on YouTube just for the heckler of it. And as soon as she had entered the app, a video that caught her eye, came on her recommendations. She clicked on it.

Eunji let out a gasp. "No way!" Her loud tone woke Bamboo up and caught the attention of everyone, who gave her confused looks. "Check this out! It's Naeun!" 

The girls gathered around Eunji's phone, before they too, had surprised gazes on their faces. No one had seen Naeun dance anything, but Apink's dances so it was a mystery to them how could she had gotten. And boy had she improved. 

"Is that Infinite?" Hayoung asked.

"Yeah, it's on their YouTube." Eunji replied.

"When did they decide to do this? Woohyun never informed me." Chorong pointed out.

"But it's so good. Naeun has improved so much." Everyone agreed with what Bomi said.

"And she looks like she's having fun." 

Apink continued to watch, even repeating it a 'couple' of times, loving the catchy song and dance. Each, proud of their visual.

.  .  .

Naeun bought drinks for everyon from the cafeteria in Plan A's building. She gave each of them one and as she was giving Myungsoo his, she decided to sit with him. 

"It turned out well, didn't it? It's was so much fun." Naeun commented, praising everyone for their efforts including herself.

Myungsoo leaned his head back against the wall and closed his eyes, but not without letting a small smile appear on his face. "Yeah."

"Ooo~ Should we be expecting a new couple?" Once again, Infinite decided to interrupt.

"Didn't know you guys had gotten so close. First the hug, now Myungsoo's all smiley faces." This had earned a few laughs from the rest. 

And once again Naeun became flustered, but just as that, Myungsoo was also angered by the teasing. This time though, he expressed it more. He abruptly stood up. "What the heck! We're not even friends, damn it!" Myungsoo growled and with that, he grabbed his things and stormed out of the practice room.

Infinite, realising their mistake once again, they gave her apologetic looks and in return she gave them a small reassuring smile before grabbing her things and walking out, uttering a small goodbye to the boys.

Once she was out, she let a small, singular tear escape. "And here I thought we were making progress." She whispered into nothing, making her way home, surrounded by a cloudy atmosphere she had illusioned to life. "Apparently, it was just my delusional thinking..."


(A/N: Hope you guys liked. Feel free to tell me your opinions on this chapter and suggestions for the future. Till next time! Bye!)