{1}

The Beauty of 'You & I'

My eyes wonder around the waiting room, cautiously sneaking glances your way, hoping that just once our eyes would 'coincidentally' meet. And as if the universe was trying to get us together, we were given the same waiting area. I call it 'destiny'.

There you are, quietly seated in the corner away from everyone else, minding your own business. If it were any other person, your actions would be seemingly normal, but to me who has been watching you and waiting to get your attention, you were no where near yourself.

The sadness in your eyes and your sluggish posture signifying a person who no longer has the will to live. It's unbearable to watch how you force yourself to put up a front for your beloved fans and family. 

That girl you supposedly loved more than yourself, left you for another, taking your soul with her. At the very thought of her I can feel my anger boiling.

That's right. I knew. I was in the park hiding from the world underneath an evergreen tree. That was the moment you drew me in, but then she appeared. 

Although I knew I wasn't supposed to be there, my eyes refused to turn away. What triggered me the most was how I somehow saw her cheating on you. Was it wrong of me to think that love was just an mere illusion on your part?

Taking me by storm, our eyes meet for a fraction of a second before you nonchalantly break away. My shoulders sag in defeat.

Why can't you see that I'm right here for you? 

If only I had the confidence to utter even a single syllable to you. 

"Yah, Naeun-ah?" I snap back to reality and turn towards the voice. Chorong eonni. "Are you okay? You suddenly look so down..."

I shake my head before turning away from her. "I'm not sad. I'm just...thinking..." I slip back into wonderland until I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Why don't you just go over there and talk to him?" She suggests, giving me a small knowing smile.

My eyes widen. "Ho-How do- You know?" I whisper with power.

Chorong eonni lets out a small chuckle. "Of course I know. I'm your leader and you're one of my little sisters." She gets up and pulls me along with her. "Now go over there and talk to him already. Treat it like a now or never situation." I feel her gently push me towards his direction.

I send her a thankful smile, before focusing on my task on hand. With the encouragement of my group leader, I feel more determined than ever. 

The rest of Infinite and Apink seemed to be obliviously of what was going on, engaging in their own conversations with one another. In truth, our two groups were close friends, but nowadays it looks like he is distancing himself from the rest of us.

After what felt like forever, my long determined strudges come to a stop as I reach my destination. I stand less than a feet away from him, shadowing over him which seems to catch his attention. When he lifts his head up to face me, I can feel myself getting flustered and time traps us in a single time frame. 

There was only him and myself and nothing else in our own world. But the illusion breaks the moment his long awaited voice rings my eardrums.

"Uh...? Can I help you?" Kim Myungsoo speaks with a tinge of coldness in his voice. It was telling me to go away, but I am too determined to comply.

All I want to do in this moment  is to scream out 'snap out of it', 'stop this isn't you' and finally, 'why can't it be me.' Of course I would never do that in reality.

"Um, hello?" Once again, I get torn away from my thoughts.

Letting out a sigh and mustering all the courage in my body, I ready myself. "Uh... I- um... I-"

He raises his left brow. "Spill already." Myungsoo urges with harshness, obviously nearing his patience limit.

Not wanting to waste this opportunity, I clear my throat before speaking once again. "I just wanted to talk..." 

"Okay. We've talked. Is that all?" He says uninterested and itching for me to leave, but I was not going to run away this time.

"That's not what I meant." I tell him sternly. I was a bit hurt by his indirect messages to leave him alone.

He stays quiet this time, just returning my gaze. 

Bit by bit, I feel myself losing every ounce of the confidence that I mustered. Along with it, I lower my head to the ground. "I just didn't want you to be by yourself and-"

"Alright alright. I get it. Just stop crying." He sighs and suddenly a hand sits atop my head in a somewhat, comforting gesture. Wait...crying? Then it hits me. This wasn't how  it was supposed to go. I wasn't meant to cry.

"I-I...I'm sorry... I just wanted to-" 

"I know. Just stop crying." He says with a softer tone than before as I let the last few drops of tears out. Maybe he didn't realise, but he still had his hand on my head. In a way, it also feels like he needs the comforting more than I do.

After calming down, something pushes me into doing what I did. Unexpected to us both, I wrapped my arms around his waist, instinctively burying my face into his shoulder.

"It's okay. Now it's your turn to cry." My words must have triggered something within him, as I feel him shaking in my arms and a head rests on my shoulder. Even his arms loosely envelope me in a much needed hug. He must have been holding in such heavy emotions for him to end up like this. I can't help but feel a little sympathetic towards him.

I gently rubbed circles on his back as he released his silent tears. "It's okay. Just let it out. I'm right here. If you need someone to talk to, I'll be beside you in an instance. But don't hold everything in. It's okay to cry once in a while." I continue to whisper comforting words. I don't even have the time to enjoy being in his arms and all I can think of is wanting him to be himself again.

In the midst of all this, the others remained as they were previously and remain oblivious to the happenings in the far corner.

After a few minutes, he becomes calm and quiet, but did not move from his position. Out of nowhere, I feel his arms tighten around me, almost to the point where it's become hard to breathe.

"Thank you." 

(A/N: Story is in Naeun's POV unless stated otherwise. I hope you liked this first chapter. I'd love to hear some feedback. Thank you^^)