Two

Blue Spring Ride

 

“Two chocolate buns, please.”

“I’d like to have a custard cream bread.”

“A chocolate muffin for me, please!”

 

“It’s really packed today.” Mark noted, taking his wallet out of his pocket, as he and Taehyung got to the end of the line.

Taehyung hummed in agreement, counting his coins in hopes to have enough for his breakfast.

“Do they still have egg toast?” Someone nearby asked.

“No idea.” A familiar voice answered.

Taehyung looked at his right and saw Jungkook with a boy, who he recognized as one of the police from the other day, looking at the different menus pasted on the walls.

Jungkook looked to his left and noticed Taehyung already staring at him. His mouth slightly opened, as if to say something but opted to stay quiet. He gave Taehyung a slight nod, who reciprocated the action.

Both of them returned to their original state and continued to look straight ahead, waiting for their turn to arrive. Taehyung’s eyes, not being able to stay put, began to, slowly, very slowly, move to their right. He could see Jungkook’s serious expression, now invaded with a slight shade of pink.

At the same time, Jungkook’s eyes were not so quiet as well, and his vision of scrambled letters and numbers from the breakfast menus were quickly changed to a slightly tanned boy, who also had his cheeks painted with a light pink color.

Startling themselves with the exchange of looks, both of them looked forward for the last time.

 

+

 

“What’s the next period? Math?” Mark asked and answered his own question, as they crossed a corridor leading them to their class. “I’m not even sure why we have to learn Math.” He said, yawning.

Taehyung let out a small laugh, looking to his right observing other students who were also on their break.

Stopping for a second, he noticed, once again, Jungkook, accompanied with Jackson and the other police boy, who Taehyung wasn’t still sure of his name. He was laughing at the two boys who were lively arguing about random things.

As if he could tell, Jungkook stopped looking at his friends and averted his gaze to Taehyung for a half of a second before he continued as if nothing had happened. Taehyung sighed as he looked back. But before he could resume his walk, he glanced once again towards Jungkook, just for a quick last look before his class, and this time it was Jungkook who was already staring at him.

 

‘It’s been like that lately. Whenever our eyes meet, we would look away first. Then, our gaze would meet again. This isn’t some coincidence.’

 

+

 

It was sunny and there was a slight breeze here and there. The sky was bright and clear.

“A perfect afternoon.” Taehyung said to himself as he walked home alone.

He passed through a park, and he couldn’t help but to smile as he watched a group of children playing and laughing in pure freedom.

He continued with his walk, looking at his surroundings, capturing the beautiful scenarios that people would generally miss, when suddenly he felt something wet fall on his head.

“Huh?” He raised his hand in the air, palm facing the sky. He looked up and noticed a few grey clouds right above him, who seemed to have come out of nowhere.

In a mere two seconds, one and two drops turned into a dozen.

Taehyung grabbed his books with his two hands and covered the top of his head with them. He started running, trying to get home as soon as possible.

 

As the time passed, the rain got heavier and heavier. Taehyung, realizing that if he continued to run on the rain would get home with a cold, decided to look for some type of shelter from the rain.

 

Soon, he discovered a shop at the end of the road. As he got there, he realized it was a chocolate shop. The same shop where he hid himself with Jungkook the other day. He smiled at himself, remembering that afternoon, and decided to wait in the back for the rain to pass.

 

When he got to the back of the building, he noticed Jungkook. He was also there, standing under the roof, probably taking cover from the rain as well. He must have heard Taehyung walk by him, since he looked right at him.

Both of them faced each other, both wearing serious expressions. Lately they were seeing each other literally everywhere.

They nodded to one another and stood there in silence, watching the rain.

Taehyung grabbed a lock of his hair and pouted at how much it was drenched.

“It came down all of a sudden, didn’t it?” Jungkook said, gaining Taehyung’s attention.

“Yeah.” Taehyung answered, mentally knocking his head on the wall of the shop.

‘What a failure. What was that response?! I shouldn’t have said “yeah”. I should have said something a little wittier.’ He thought looking down on his feet. ‘It’s not like I dislike him. But somehow I feel nervous.’ He arched an eyebrow at that. ‘Why is that? Doesn’t that make it seem like I have feelings…’ His eyes suddenly expanded twice their size. ‘What? No way. I…’ He started feeling his cheeks go red. ‘Could it be?!’

“Is there something wrong?” Jungkook asked.

“Huh?” Taehyung asked in return, still flushed.

“You were thinking so hard that I could almost hear your brain.” He said, slightly smiling. “You were making so many funny faces.” He let out a small laugh.

Taehyung didn’t say anything. ‘I’m so embarrassed. I have to say something, or else it’s really embarrassing.’ He started looking at his surroundings and he noticed a fallen poster on the ground. “Summer festival...” He read to himself.

“Are you going to the festival, Kim Jungkook?” He asked, in a high-pitched voice.

‘What was that voice?’ He argued with himself. ‘And why did I asked that like I was inviting him?! It will be embarrassing if he gets the wrong idea.’

“I wonder if Mark is going. I should ask him.” Taehyung said, letting out an awkward laugh, followed by complete silence.

Suddenly, he felt something on his head. He looked up, noticing a shirt on top of his hair.

“Use this.” Jungkook said, retrieving his hand. “You’ll catch a cold. Dry yourself with it.” He said, looking down.

Taehyung grabbed the shirt to have a quick look. “PE attire?” He thought out loud.

“Don’t worry, it hasn’t been worn.” Jungkook quickly said. “Just once.” He finished softly.

“Ehh?!” Taehyung almost shouted. “Doesn’t that make it worn?!”

Jungkook bursts out laughing. Taehyung looks at him with pure and curious eyes.

‘He’s got quite a mischievous laugh.’

“I don’t mind.” Taehyung suddenly says. “I’ll use it.”

“Go ahead.” Jungkook simply responds, all traces of laugher gone.

“Thank you.” Taehyung says, as he starts rubbing Kim Jungkook’s shirt on his hair.

 

‘What kind of expression is he wearing now?’ Taehyung, noticing the sudden silence, stops drying his hair for a second and takes a quick glance at the other boy. Jungkook was looking straight with a serious look, cheeks blushed. ‘Maybe… Are you feeling the same way?’ He thinks. ‘It can’t be, right?’