Chapter 2

The Language of Flowers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I wondered what I felt. Maybe it was just me feeling anxious about all the possibilities that could happen to her. Maybe it was an empty feeling when you expected something and ended up being dissapointed.

"Or maybe you just miss her, Mina," I said to myself.

I still remember the first night I saw her walking in front of my shop. She walked alone, stumbled around, head drooped over, and I could see she talked to nothing but herself. I recognized that this girl is the girl I saw in the morning from the clothes she was wearing and her long black hair. She walked slowly yet she managed to trip and fall. I got up from my seat to help her. But then she stood up and cursed while stomping the road that made her fall.

"She's drunk," I said as I continued to watch her disappear from my sight.

The other night I saw her walking with a man. She laughed as she hugged the man's arm. It was the first time I saw her laugh. I could see she had a pair of large front teeth. She shut her eyes and they turned into crescent shape.

Just like my morning routine, seeing her in the evening when returning from work had also become a habit. I would take a longer time to close the shop in order to wait for her.

Different from her “normal” routines that I saw in the morning, the things she did at night were more diverse. Sometimes, I could see her wearing headphones, looking up into the sky like she was having a deep thoughts. On the other nights I would see her with her friends laughing and did weird things like they were drunk. On the other nights I would see her crying as she wiped her eyes several times. At that moment I wanted to go out of the shop, hugged her, and let her cry in my arms. But then she disappeared when I finally decided to move from where I stood.

 

 

****

 

 

"Excuse me, are you closed yet?" Said the woman with beautiful big eyes and dark blonde hair who tapped my shoulder earlier.

"Yes, we have just closed. Do you want to buy flowers?" I asked with my left hand resting on the doorknob.

She scratched her head and said, "Actually, I want to order flowers in large numbers, but it’s urgent. I want to know if you can do it."

"Of course. What's this for? A wedding? We serve the order for weddings," I replied.

"Yes, it’s for a wedding party. But the reception will be held tomorrow at 6 PM."

"What?" I asked a little surprised. "Maybe we can talk about this inside."

“Am I not bothering you?” she asked.

“No, not at all.”

I unlocked the door and turn on the lights.

"Please, have a seat," I said. I motioned her to a chair and sit down across from her.

"So...?" I asked.

"Oh, I haven’t introduced myself. I’m Jihyo," she held out her hand.

"Mina," I smiled and we shook hands.

“Actually,” she started. “This is my friend's wedding party. We've ordered flowers long time ago from another flower shop, but suddenly the flower shop cancelled our order and refunded the payments.”

"Really? That’s awful," I responded.

“I know right! Can you imagine a wedding without flowers? So, today I'm helping my friend to find another flower shop. I've searched many shop, but they rejected my order," she said.

I thought for a moment. Preparing flowers for a wedding is not easy. It would require days of preparation and couldn’t be completed in less than one day.

"Is it a big party?" I asked.

"No, this is just a simple party, which will be attended only by family and close friends. The concept is simple as well as the wedding in general. There is no specific concept."

"Well, wait a minute," I went over to the desk behind me to take a magazine from the drawer.

"Are they daisies?" She said, pointing to daisies on the wall shelf.

"Hm?" I turned to Jihyo. "Yeah they're daisies."

After finding the magazine I went back to my seat and placed the magazine in front of Jihyo.

"Here, there are some bouquet designs for weddings. This design looks simple and beautiful," I said, showing one particular page.

"Whoa, it’s so pretty. My friend will like it!"

"Then, we will use this design?" I asked.

"Sure! Wait, does it mean that you can fulfill this order?" Jihyo asked with a look full of hope.

"Yes, my friend and I will ensure that the flowers will be ready for your friend’s wedding tomorrow."

"Thank you, Mina-ssi!"

We continued discussing about the decoration like arrangements, centerpieces, and other decorations. Jihyo then left after giving the details of the venue address. The location wasn’t too far from here, it would only take half an hour by car.

I decided to prepare the flowers tonight. I wasn’t sleepy yet, and my mind was too busy thinking about someone. I kept thinking about why she did not show up earlier. At least, this work will keep my mind occupied with something else.

 

 

****

 

 

"Aaahh, I’m so tired," I said, stretche

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter