OUR LOVE

OUR LOVE

 

“Congratulations son!” Mr. Lee proudly said putting his son in a warm fatherly hug. “You always make us proud” Mrs. Lee added making Sungmin, their overachiever only son smile from ear to ear.

 

It was their simple Science Fair every year when the month September came. Every year, there is only one name that was always called whether it is on sports, academic battle and even on the kind of contests where he was force to join because everyone on their school urge him due to his overflowing handsomeness. That’s him Lee Sungmin, the only child of the Lee family which is known to own the biggest wine producer in Korea.

 

“Thank you for coming here Appa and Omma”, Sungmin happily exclaimed. “Anything for our only son”, Mr. Lee then patted his son’s shoulder. “Omma, are you okay?” Sungmin look at the direction his mother was staring, there he saw his close friend Donghae having who got the second prize and was also good- looking like him having a great time with his family and Amber- his younger sister. “Omma, Chung- cha is fine… I’m sure of it”, Sungmin comfort his mother. “I miss her so much… my baby princess. I want to hug her, to kiss her, to take care of her especially when she is sick, to listen to her first puppy love stories and to show her that I change into a good mother now”, Mrs. Lee end up crying on Sungmin’s shoulder. Her son hugs him back but deep inside he was also hurt for his younger sister’s loss. He must have someone to play and tease with but he never loss his hope and faith that he will see her soon and that she survived.

 

Flashback

 

“What was happening here? Are you fighting again?” Mrs. Lee asked as she enclosed her arms on her chest. Sungmin immediately stand up to fix his sister’s crying face, “Of course not Omma. We are… uhm… just playing games.” “Then why is your sister crying? Come here princess.” Chung- cha went to her mother while Sungmin stare at the floor thinking of a way to escape his sin. Mrs. Lee cuddled her daughter until it fell asleep. “Bring her to her room”, Mrs. Lee commanded Sungmin then he slowly carry her in his arms. He was about to walk away but his mother called him. “Don’t too much Sungmin… she is just one year old. You don’t want her to grow into a bully lady right?” “Of course not Omma”, Sungmin replied then continue on his way to Chung- cha’s room. He slowly laid their baby princess on her bed and covered her small body with a blanket.

 

It was already afternoon when Sungmin woke up due to the suffocating smoke that covered his room. He was forced to stand up when he heard Chung- cha’s cry. Sungmin sleepily open the door but to his surprised everything was put into a fire and he cannot go anywhere until he heard his father calling. His father managed to throw his last batch of water on Sungmin’s side giving him a way to run to his parents. “Chung- cha?!” Sungmin cried. “That was the last pail of water…” his father sadly stated. “No! We need to save her… she can’t die there!” with that Sungmin ran but a wall break and fall down in front of him making his feet automatically turn back but his sister’s cry continued until he fainted caused by too much smoke he had inhaled.

 

End of Flashback

 

The next morning, Sungmin get up early to prepare for school and as expected he was the first student in the school. Few minutes after, he saw an unfamiliar girl entered the sophomore’s classroom. He stared at her while she walks back having a feeling that there is someone eyeing her. Sungmin was startled when he saw the girl’s face, “Am I dreaming? She exactly has the same face and characteristics of… Chung- cha?” Sungmin thought. “Hey! Why are you staring like that at me?” the girl curiously asked while scanning Sungmin from head to toe. “Are you a sophomore?” “Yes. Isn’t it obvious? I’m here standing at the sophomore’s classroom.” “Are you a transferee?” “Excuse me small person! If you don’t mind, I need to be inside now. Oh I forgot! What I know is that the elementary class will start at 8 in the morning. I think you’re too excited for your class little boy”, the girl said then leave Sungmin speechless. Well, as for him, this was the first time someone insulted him for being small. “Small?! Hey! To tell you I’m a senior meaning you should…” he was stop when the girl slams the door on his face. “Respect me. Aish! I will teach her a lesson but not now”, Sungmin’s face was already red in anger now so he decided to go back to his classroom to calm himself before he fiercely open the door and remove the girl’s teeth one by one. “She will never be my baby princess”, he said then walk away.

 

“We all know who will win that debate so I think I should not dare to join”, Donghae tease. “Don’t say that Hae, we don’t know you might win this time.” “I’ve learn my lesson hyung… after trying to win for three years and still end up defeated. No way!” “At least you’re the second best but still after me.” “Your head’s enlarging hyung”, Donghae stop when he saw a transferee. He walk near her but Sungmin grab his shoulder. “Don’t try Hae… you will regret talking to that… uh! She insulted me,” “She? What?! Telling you that you’re a…” “Stop that Hae! I hope she join the debate. That will the time for me to have my revenge,” Sungmin laugh evilly without noticing the girl he was about was only beside him. The girl pokes his head, “Hey elementary boy! You’re class already finished? Did you have a very good star?” “Call me oppa!!! How many times should I have to tell you that I am a SENIOR ALREADY!” he shouted at her face. “Whatever! Senior slash elementary boy”, she sarcastically laugh leaving Sungmin super angry. Donghae manage to stop him when he tried to follow her.

 

“Now, let us start our debate”, the principal announce. The contestants went to their respective places. Sungmin’s eye glisten when he saw his enemy in front of him while the girl gives him an insulting look. “And for the finale, Mr. Lee Sungmin versus the brave Ms. Lee Chung- cha”, the principal proudly said comfortable that Sungmin will win. “Lee Chung- cha? How come…” his thoughts got interrupted when he heard the same insulting phrase for him. He stands up and proudly went to the stage giving his enemy and now opponent a glaring look. The debate went for about one and a half hour but the girl continues to attack Sungmin with her sharp words which make him feel so uneasy. “Sorry I cannot do it anymore”, Sungmin softly stated as he went down leaving the girl or I should say Chung- cha in her victory smile. Donghae approach his hyung still cannot believe on what he had just witnesses. “Hyung… are you okay?” “I think so… I don’t know, the topic is so sensitive to me maybe because it reminds me of my sister.” “They had the same name and appearance. Hyung, don’t you think she is…” “No! It was just a coincidence… that’s it! Nothing more! Nothing less!”

 

“How was the debate honey?” Mrs. Lee asked cheerfully but Sungmin’s emotion made her feel the answer. “I’m sorry Omma but I lost.” Mrs. Lee walks near her sad son. “Is there any problem?” “Nothing Omma… I just don’t like the topic”, he politely answered. “Is it about… siblings?” “Sorry Omma but I want to sleep now.” “Do you want me to sing you lullabies… like before?” Mrs. Lee’s words cut through Sungmin when he remembered the song his father composed. “Omma please sing to me the song that Appa composed when we were just little kids? Please…” Sungmin pleaded using his cute aegyo making his mother caress his messy hair. “How can I say no to that face?” They stand up and walk their way to Sungmin’s room then Mrs. Lee sing him a lullaby until he falls asleep.

 

Sungmin’s P.O.V.

 

Yesterday was a great mess! That would never happen again… never! I continue to walk to my classroom but a certain voice makes me stop. I follow where it came from and a few minutes after, I found my self standing in front of a door and the sign reads “DO NOT DISTURB!” so I decided not to knock but the voice… the song it sounds really familiar to me but I cannot remember it clearly until the door opened. “How can I help you, sir?” a girl wearing our school’s uniform asked me making me end up lying again. “Sorry… uh… I … I was just… you know, picking up garbage”, I said as I scratch my head pretending to look innocent. I examine the girl’s face and by the way she looks at me I think she believes me and by that I leave her. I swiftly run after that. Luckily, she did not know me.

 

Ending of Sungmin’s P.O.V.

 

Sungmin went home early but his parents were still not so he went straight to his room to rest. “Who’s this happiness breaker?!” he asked angrily facing his phone. He was already in the middle of his huge pink house adventure when suddenly a phone call make the house turn blur and completely gone. “Yobosayo?” his voice was husky. “Hello! You just wake up?” the caller cheerfully answered. “Who are you?” “Don’t you know me? I will give you clue… senior slash elementary boy! Get it? That’s you!” “Chung… Chung- cha?!” “It’s me! Why, do you know any Chung- cha?” “Why did you call? How did you get my phone number?” “I didn’t know that you are wildly famous here in school so I didn’t have a sweat searching for it. By the way, answering your first question, I called because I saw you! What are you doing in front of my hang out?” Sungmin was surprised but how? He did not saw anyone around or maybe this girl is playing with him again. “Will I lie… again?” he thought. “Hey! You already lost your tongue?” “I am not! For your information, I was sleeping soundly here but a certain unwanted call wake me and to add to that… the caller was my frustrated enemy and she is accusing me of the thing that I didn’t know? Are you sure you got a working mind?” “Ah! Are you insulting me?!” “I’m just asking.” “I really don’t need to answer that question but I am sure it’s you. Ha! Pretending to pick up garbage? I think you got a not- working mind.” “You?! So what if I went there?” “What are you doing there?” “Why do you want to know? I know, you’re a lesbian and the girl who opened the door was your girlfriend. Am I right?” “Eeew! I’m not a lesbian and to inform you I had a crush but it’s none of your business. I just don’t want small persons in front of my precious place.” “Really? I will come back there tomorrow.” “Do it and you will lose a leg.” “I’m not afraid.” “Stop pretending infamously famous! I’ll go now, its nonsense talking to you.” “Feeling mutual here.” And with that she ended the call. “I don’t know but why do I feel happy talking to her? I can’t fall for her! Eeew! Not that type!” Sungmin thought until he falls asleep again.

 

The next day everyone was gathering in the school’s dome for their celebration of Parent’s and Children’s Day. As expected, Sungmin and his parents are well- treated by the students. They are having so much fun with Donghae and his family when he noticed that his frustrated enemy was not around. Sungmin look around but did not see any sign of her and just got distracted when Donghae tap him. “Searching for anything… or someone?” Donghae teasingly asked as he pulls Sungmin to sit down beside him. “Uh? Ah… no… it’s nothing”, he replied looking a little shocked. “You’re finding the girl who looks exactly like your sister and the name… I shouldn’t forget that. I notice these days that you seem to be unfocused in academics and even in extra- curricular activities where you always shine the most. Is it about her hyung?” “I don’t know Hae… I think its maybe because I madly miss my baby princess and whenever I saw that girl, she always makes me remind of my sister.” “She is very secretive hyung! I approached her yesterday to… uhm… just to try to know her better but she just walked away after saying hello.” “Ya… I forgot!” Sungmin exclaimed then walk away leaving Donghae surprise. Sungmin went outside the dome and swiftly run to the place where his enemy calls her hang out. He stand there in front of the door waiting for Chung- cha but after almost five minutes of patiently waiting for a voice to nag him, he just turn around and slowly walk away but he look back the last time still no sign so he just continue walking away from it. “I told you to don’t come back here, right?! Did your brain already leave you?” the voice makes Sungmin turn back. “I thought… never mind! I told you that I will come here, right? Why aren’t you going to the dome? Every student should go there.” Chung- cha neared him and insultingly look at him from head to toe then chuckle hardly. “Why are you laughing?!” “You look… so small! I think you should hire a fashion designer that can make you look at least an inch taller!” “Still not getting tired of insulting me? Ya! You are small too!” “Me? Small? Excuse me… I am a late bloomer and females are accepted in the society as small persons.” “Not my mother and little sister! You loss enemy.” “In what reason?” “Well… ‘Females are accepted in the society as small persons.’ Hahaha loser!” Sungmin copied Chung- cha’s way of talking and laugh. He just stops when Chung- cha seize his collar and position her arm to punch him but Donghae shouted making their attentions put into him. “Chung- cha?” Mrs. Lee quickly runs to hug the shocked girl in front of Sungmin. He didn’t want them to meet because he is sure that his sister will never grow up like that. Chung- cha who was still shock hug back, “Why did she know my name?” she thought. “I know you’re alive baby… Omma is now here. I missed you so much princess”, Mrs. Lee sobbingly stated. “Omma?” Chung- cha asked breaking the hug. Sungmin quickly grab his mother, “She was just mistaken. Omma let’s go.” “But she is…” “No she cannot be my sister.” Sungmin wrap his arms on his mother to be able to pull her away from Chung- cha. Donghae follow them leaving Chung- cha petrified as she stare at the woman who hug her.

 

Three days passed since his mother saw his frustrated enemy but she still keeps on mumbling ‘Chung- cha’ and she always asks him to bring to her daughter again. Mr. Lee and Sungmin were now worried so they decided to bring Mrs. Lee to Chung- cha. “Appa I think it’s not right… I mean she cannot be my sister. let’s just go home now.” “And just stare at your mother while she acts like this? No way! Just drive there… we don’t know she maybe our daughter and your sister.” Sungmin had nothing to do but follow his father’s order of course, he also don’t want seeing his mother like that. After few minutes of driving they arrive at her ‘hang out’ then he move down and knock on the door, ”What?!” Chung- cha furiously asked. “My… mother wants to talk to you…. Chung- cha please be polite to her… don’t treat her the way you treat me.” “Pabo! Of course I will be polite to her. Do you think I don’t have respect on the elders? Let them in.” “Okay… wait.” Sungmin walk to his car then guide his parents to Chung-cha. She let them inside with a feeling a weird one inside her heart though she just ignore it.

 

A long awkward moment covered them as they change look at each other until Chung- cha politely ask for their reason for coming at her place and to her surprise Sungmin’s mother hugged her… again but Mr. Lee pulls his wife away from him. “Let’s explain first everything to her… Sorry…” Mr. Lee started. “Chung- cha” “Okay sorry Chung- cha but I think it will be best if I am the one who will explain everything. We had a daughter and to tell you the truth, you have the same appearance and name of her.” “Where is she?” “She was only one year old when we lost her because of fires that ruin our life.” “Excuse me sir but do I and your daughter had the same age?” “Yes you have. By the way where are your parents? Are they here?” “Mr. Lee’s question made Chung- cha which was easily noticed by Sungmin who was just beside her. Sungmin give Chung- cha a comforting look while the latter give him a rolling look. “I never had a parents and I hate to have one!” “Sorry…we didn’t mean to. I should go straight to the point…can we ask you to have a DNA test with us?” “Please say yes…I am sure that you are my only daughter the first time I saw you.” Mrs. Lee pleaded. Chung- cha look at Sungmin and excuse him for awhile. “Hey! This is beyond our talk” she whispers. “I know but please say yes…don’t you want to have parents in case it turns out positive?” I told you I don’t want to have one and to have you as my brother? Yuck!” “Sorry if I disturbed you but… I am really excited to take the test. Let’s go!” Mrs. Lee interrupted then pulled Chung- cha outside. Sungmin tries to seize Chung- cha from his mother but it seems that his mother was really excited to know if she was her daughter so he just mouthed her the word ‘please’ when he saw that Chung- cha look back to ask for his help.

 

“How many days do we have to wait for the results doctor?” Mrs. Lee excitedly asked. “It will take a week ma’am.” “That was too long doctor! Can’t we make it short?” “Sorry ma’am but that was the limit day.” Mr. Lee stops his wife from talking so he just bow down and leave the doctor. They went straight to the car to calm Mrs. Lee. Sungmin drove the car and beside him was Chung- cha while their parents sit back. “Do you want to stay on our house Chung- cha?” Mrs. Lee suddenly asked. Chung- cha’s eyes widen when she heard the question which also made her look at Sungmin. He also does the same to her and gives her a nod as a signal to accept the offer. “You will pay for this… take note of that!” Chung- cha whisper then looks at Mrs. Lee and gives her a smile. “I am sure that’s a yes”, Mrs. Lee happily said.

 

“What are you doing here?!” Chung- cha immediately asked when she saw Sungmin standing in front of her open door. “Can’t you just say ‘Come in’? Chung- cha don’t really want to be disturb but she wants to clear things up with this small guy so she let him in. “Me first”, Chung- cha started, “This is much more important.” “Okay go ahead”, Sungmin kindly replied. “I do not know how this happened? It’s quite fast but I still cannot understand. Can you please clearly explain it to me?” “I know things became fast these few days but I am willing to explain everything to you.” Sungmin started to explain everything to Chung- cha even the smallest of the simplest things that she needs to know. While attentively listening to Sungmin’s explanations she just found herself crying which made the boy stop. “Chung- cha are you okay?” he worriedly asked. “You’re too bad! Leaving your one year old sister in the middle of fire without trying to get help?! You are a devil!” Chung- cha angrily exclaimed. Sungmin was startled by the way she speaks that words to him. By hearing all of those, he feels like the guilt inside him came back again after all those years. He was just interrupted by Chung- cha’s hard crying so he went near her to comfort her. “I know some parents are not bad and there are still few ones left there. I never had a father even a mother since I realized that I existed in this world… I don’t even know how and what to feel when I had one. See? I grew up alone, walking on the busy streets of Seoul, sleeping on a bench every time the sun goes down and trying to feed myself at least once a day until a family walk to me and ask me to come with them. The girl who opened the door for you was their daughter… they made me study and to pay them, I study hard without remembering about my past but I am sure my name is Lee Chung- cha until I met you and your mother. I don’t know what to feel if ever I am their long lost daughter after hearing your stories.” “They are the best parents in the world Chung- cha… I swear that!” “I know that by the way this house looks and your relationships… I know they are. Go out! You’ve heard enough from me… I want to sleep now”, Chung- cha stand up and lie to her bed while Sungmin just stare at her.

 

“Good morning Chung- cha!” Mrs. Lee cheerfully greeted as Chung- cha sleepily walk her way to the dining table. She sits down beside Sungmin who was busy scanning a certain folder. “Is that the result? Can I see it?” she said grabbing the folder from Sungmin. She opens it slowly and her eyes become wide open when she saw the big ‘POSITIVE’ word below. She looks at Sungmin, Mrs. Lee and Mr. Lee who all gives her a smile. Mrs. Lee stands up and hugs her very tightly. “I finally found my princess… I know you will come back to us Chung- cha, my little baby princess.” “… I … I can’t believe. I now have a mother and a father? I now have parents? I now have a family? Is this true or I am still dreaming?” Chung- cha sobbingly expressed. Mr. Lee also went to give the two important girls of his life a warm hug and said, “Yes. You always had Chung- cha… my daughter.” Chung- cha don’t know what to feel, she longs for a family for so long and now she have them again… she is more willing to start again with her own family. Sungmin joins them then tap his sister’s head saying, “Just don’t run to Omma again if you cry.” “Of course not… I am not a crying baby… o… oppa!” Chung- cha defended making her brother smile hearing the way she called him just now.

 

The Lee family was now whole again. They forget the past and focus on the future as a family that will stand by each other no matter how hard and easy the life become for them. As for Chung- cha and Sungmin? Well, they still continue what they started… bullying each other until one of them ends up crying.